(Topic ID: 238164)

Multiple Problems with SkyJump ( all of a sudden)

By tscottn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tscottn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys,

Replaced all 3 pop bumper bodies today. Everything went smooth and the game played just fine. After playing for about an hour I turned the machine off. came back about an hour later, started playing a game. I noticed that the ball return switch is not actuating..(game wont start) hmm.. so I pull the ball out of the hole and place it on the trough switch. now the game sets and flipper work. Then I notice that all the rollover lights that are supposed to be off until you actuate them are all" ON' and once the ball rolls over them they turn off.. This is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. Also, the drop targets are not scoring at all and none of the round target switches are scoring. But the rollover switches still score even though they are opposite with the lights.

I know your supposed to trouble shoot one issue at a time but Im not sure which issue to start looking at.. Maybe some help from the experts here would be a real help to me..

Thanks..

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

..If you're talking about the 1-7 sequence rollover lights, those are actually on until spotted, then they turn off and the lights under the drops come on.
I'm not sure how you set the ball on the trough switch since that's under the apron. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here.
Try resetting the trip bank. I've had wonky scoring issues before when the trip bank is not fully seated and tightened in place. Are you sure when you soldered the bumper lamp sockets back in place you didn't get a solder bomb somewhere or knock something else out of place. That seems unlikely. I am probably wrong but it just has that trip bank out of place smell to me.

Well your right about the roll over sequence lights supposed to be on.. im not sure what I was thinking.. And I think your right that this may be a trip bank issue.. I had it lowered when I was doing the pop bumper work, so it may be twisted or something. I dont think anything fell in but I will have a look at that as well.. Is there anything I should know about adjusting it? Im working tonight but will trouble shoot in the morning when I get home and report back.. Thanks

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

It's critical that the trip bank is seated correctly on both ends. Like Darcy said, make sure the trip bank is fully seated. I had a twist in mine, and it caused all sorts of weird issues. Seating it correctly took care of the problems.

Ok so I checked and double checked the trip bank. . The bank is not twisted and is all the way seated, and as far as I can tell every switch seems to be working correctly. here is what I am seeing at this point..

When the start game button is pressed, the game resets. All lights and drop targets reset to their correct position. However the ball DOES NOT get ejected from the ball eject coil, so game is not starting. However if I make the ball through switch contact pushing it from under the play field, ( the switch right before the plunger) the game is now active and ready to play.

Ok so at this point.. 500 and 50 point relays are not scoring on the score reels. I can see those relays making the correct contact and the score motor spins, however nothing gets sent to the reels. However if I activate the 10X relay and then push the 50 or 500 point relay, the score is actually sent to the reels..

At this point im not sure where to look.. the relays seem to be actuating fine, but nothing is getting sent to the score reel relays and the ball eject coil for some reson is not activating either like i mentioned.

in addition, and im not sure if this is even a issue or not, when i add a coin to the left coin slot it actually subtracts a credit from the credit wheel on the backbox.. shouldent adding a coin to the chute increase the credits not subtract?

I hope this all makes sense.. Maybe these issues are all related.?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I don't have a Sky Jump schematic, but going off my Target Alpha, it could be one of the make/breaks on the AX or the 15th pos. sw. on the Bonus Unit, another make/break.

Ok been looking at this for awhile.. still same issue as before, when i start a game, ball does not get ejected and no 50 or 500 point scoring even those those relays are working. anything 10x score works as well as the 10 and 1000 pt scores.. im not sure whet you mean by the AX.? can you point me in the right direction on that...? i also noticed that there are no ball count lights on the backbox when i cycle manually through balls using the ball throgh switch on the underside of the playfield. , all other lights work on the backbox.. just for good measure i cleaned all the Jones plugs once again to no avail..

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Let me check my schematic over tonight and I'll see if I can come up with something.

Ok well, I decided to focus on one problem at a time.. so i figured to look at the first issue which would be why the ball was not being ejected into the trough. Manually latching the relay for this switch worked no problem, so i decided to pull the relay and clean it and check for a bad connection.. well after cleaning it and moving wires around a bit this problem has been solved. The switch now actuated the relay and subsequently the coil every time.. and im not sure if it is coincidence or not but now all the "ball in play" lights light in the blackbox.. Like I said, im not sure if it is coincidence but both of these issues have been solved..

however one issue still remains.. 50 and 500 point relays do not send any signal to the score reels.. the score motor works when actuating the target switch which then sends signal either 50 or 500 pt relay depending on which target i close.. I can see both relays latching on at that point but then nothing happens, nothing is sent to the score reel relays and obviously no chime..

I think maybe I should pull these relays and clean them ? see if there are any loose connections or anything? Its weird cause I can see both relays in the bottom of the cab working.. just nothing after that..( like i said a few times already ) lol

sorry for the long TL DR ..

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires, starting with the indicated switch on the 10 Times Value relay (D)
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
[quoted image]

Ok thanks.. i will check this tomorrow when i get home from work.. and thanks for that link.. its really good info. I already devoured it in open sitting.. i will report back.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I think Howard is right on with his diagnosis. That contact on the D relay is going to be the farthest one from the coil. Should be a maroon wire (looks like a really dark purple on my machine) and a white(ish) wire that connect to it.

Ok.. thanks.. what is the best way to diagnose with jumper wires?

#18 5 years ago

Ok so.. I jumped the wires on the D relay and the same issue was happening.. No Change.. So I decided to remove both the 500 pt and 50 pt relays and inspect/clean both up if necessary..

First thing I noticed was that the red wire on one of the contacts of the 50 pt relay was loose and actually came off when i lifted the relay up. I also noticed that both relays seemed pretty dirty around the general area of the contact plastic and housings.. so I solderer the red wire and cleaned both relays up best I could with a small emery board ( aka nail file) I was able to get inside the contacts and do a light filing on them to remove any grime.. ( this has been my go to method for awhile now and it seems to work..not sure of its the right way or not) turned machine on, and WALA! Both 50 and 500 pt relays now work and score/chime as they should.. not sure if it was that one wire or just a cleaning or moving the wires around a little bit which did the trick, but everything now works..

I am a little uneasy about this since i am not sure what actually fixed it.. I am hoping all the wire contacts are solid like they seem to be.. but in any case I guess i can call this issue solved for now.. I would like to thank everyone who posted to help me on this issue.. This is my first EM and while I dont consider myself dumb by any means, reading these schematics has been a little bit of a challenge for me.. but I am getting there.. im trying to read as many tutorials as I can and soak up all the info on-line and from the people on this forum who have been doing this for awhile.... Thanks for all your patience and help

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tscottn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiple-problems-with-skyjump-all-of-a-sudden?tu=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.