(Topic ID: 150705)

Multiple problems with Gottlieb Drop-a-Card

By brettybluevein

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Okay so this game was brought to me to clean up and "just get it playing." When the guy dropped it off, he said it hadn't worked in 15 years. We pulled it out of his truck and sat it in my garage, and when I plugged it in, it kicked out a ball. He said "it hasn't done that in 15 years!"

So I cleaned up the playfield, and have a friend over to help me get it working. At the beginning of the day, the start button would cycle the machine, but never quit cycling. He adjusted the slam tilt switch to test if the switch was stuck on. It was not. He readjusted that back to how it was, but now the start button doesn't work, but now if you drop a dime, it REMOVES a credit from the backbox and starts a game automatically. If you drop a quarter, it DOES NOT add a credit, but immediately serves a ball into the lane and starts a game. The scoring seems to work correctly. The little rule card window DOES NOT show which ball is active via the light, but after 5 balls will read GAME OVER just fine. We have tested the bulbs and they work so something wrong there as well.

I'm so sorry to come at you with so many questions but honestly EM's are just beyond me. ANY advice at all I would appreciate, and if you have any questions fire away and I will do my best to answer them.

#2 8 years ago

Well, the just get it playing after 15 years, is like wakin up and sayin, "I'm gonna win the lottery today"...yeah, right.
you are gonna need to go through that whole pin, and tighten switch stacks, clean/adjust switches. then go through the score reels, dis assemble, clean/lube, re assemble. then dis assemble clean/lube all the steppers. and chk the coin switches. clean bulbs/sockets.
THEN you can start troubleshooting.
Sorry to pop your bubble. but there is no way that pin will come back to life without doin that.
get a schematic from PBR, your prob gonna need it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiple-problems-with-gottlieb-drop-a-card and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.