(Topic ID: 168284)

Multiplayer with competition goals more than scoring?

By bkbirge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bkbirge
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Did a search but didn't see anything that covered this. What are some pins that have good competition goals besides just high score? Here's some I can think of...

Hayburners I/II - horses around a mechanical track
Race Way - cars around a mechanical track
Flying Turns - same
Pit Stop - lights around a playfield track

Any others, surely there are a bunch?

#2 7 years ago

I think Spectrum would make a pretty cool tournament game, either first one to a match, or most matches in a game.

WPT: you get one ball to get the best poker hand you can

#3 7 years ago

'68 Williams Lady Luck
I've only played it once so I may not have the details right, but if I recall you're playing black jack against the "dealer". The dealer/game picks a score to beat at the beginning of each ball, (e.g. 19) and if you can beat the dealer without going bust (20 or 21) you get another ball. I think I remember wanting to drain at times rather than risk going bust.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

'68 Williams Lady Luck

Lady Luck and Pit Stop no doubt. Also both have great layouts and are very addictive to play.

I have heard the same about Williams 8-Ball

#7 7 years ago

Runs
1970 Gottlieb Batter Up (add-a-ball version of Baseball)

1971 Gottlieb Extra Innings (also a 1-player model)
http://user.xmission.com/~daina/images/sb/extrainning.html

#8 7 years ago

Game Points (00 to 99), separate from the 5-digit score also on the backglass/backbox
on 1973 Gottlieb pro-Football (only a 1-player model)
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1865&picno=10952

and 1977 Gottlieb Gridiron -- this one is a 2-player game
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1089&picno=8332

#9 7 years ago

Only problem with this one and three out of four of the other ones you linked is that they're all single player machines

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Only problem with this one and three out of four of the other ones you linked is that they're all single player machines

Yeah, I just caught that and was editing my entries just now.

#11 7 years ago

And Twin Win is a long flipper Pit Stop clone. But it counts...

#12 7 years ago

Nice! I'm thinking I love the backbox on flying turns/hayburners but the playfields look boring with nothing but long shots from the bottom to the top over and over. Gridiron looks fun as does Lady Luck. Any others?

#13 7 years ago

If you like the horse racing backbox get a NAGS

#14 7 years ago

williams olympic hockey

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

I'm thinking I love the backbox on flying turns/hayburners but the playfields look boring with nothing but long shots from the bottom to the top over and over. Gridiron looks fun as does Lady Luck. Any others?

Pit Stop is not only a great multiplayer, it is one of the best playing and most played games I own. It may be hard to tell just looking at it, but put the ball in play and you will see what I mean.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pit Stop is not only a great multiplayer, it is one of the best playing and most played games I own. It may be hard to tell just looking at it, but put the ball in play and you will see what I mean.

I hate how all the cool o-din games are either so rare nobody wants to sell them or so underground nobody owns one so they can sell it.

With your reviews of games like this and others I would buy one blind, if only I could find any of them here on the East coast...

#17 7 years ago

The days of me buying an EM just because it's a good deal or readily available are long gone. Same with going after games that others say are great. I do a lot of research now before I seek out any.

This Pit Stop was at a silent auction of a local pinball museum that had a lot of desirable games from the 50s all the way to the end of the era and beyond and I played as many as I could. Out of all of them this is the game I had to have so I bid accordingly and got it. It was a record executives personal game before it went there. I paid more than the going rate, but have got my money's worth and then some.

The other game I bid on but did not get was Shangri La, as it was beautiful and a good player. I still would not mind finding one some day.

#18 7 years ago

Hi
I do not know if the Bally "Rockmakers" feature "Each time You make all letters in 'Rockmakers on the playfield' and so YOUR Rock-a-Rock-Counter steps forward by one" --- and when You have enough Rock-a-Rock points: You are rewarded with an Extraball / an Special --- I do not know if this feature resets with every new ball given - or if it is a carry-over feature. At least it is competition besides the Score-Counters.

Williams Fun Fest has here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=972&picno=5676 (between the feet of the old man) a "Swing Reel Counter" (resetted on every new ball) : Also for to make "Extraball / Special".

I think THIS topic is somewhat related to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiplayer-ems-that-save-any-state-between-balls . Greetings Rolf

#19 7 years ago

Yeah that counts, both of those look cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiplayer-with-competition-goals-more-than-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.