(Topic ID: 45905)

Multimorphic/P3 seminar @ TPF

By gstellenberg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 11 years ago

Seminar was awesome - well worth watching.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

#5 11 years ago

This is great stuff! Exciting. Finally, something that actually *is* a breakthrough in pinball, not just some talking point.

#6 11 years ago

So did someone post the video after this one with Dennis Nordman talking?

#7 11 years ago

great talk.

#8 11 years ago

So much promise.

One thing I would like to be addressed by Gerry here or in the future is that it's all very well to talk about changing the layout with different modules and, as mentioned recently, even adding more floating elements in the lower half but I'm concerned about the bottom third being too similar for all games. Existing pinball games have slightly different configurations of inlanes, outlanes and slings as well as rubbered posts and sides that all give a unique challenge to being able to read the behaviour of the ball and get it under control stopping it from going down the middle or sides. When you play a table long enough you intimately learn the way the ball bounces around the lower third and this is a huge part of mastering a particular table.

I'm concerned that new modules and rules will not be enough to stop the game from feeling too samey and would love to know whether the designers have thought about how to change the way the ball behaves in the lower third and make it unique for each game/module.

Basically pinball is not just about shot making but about reading the ball movement and control. I really think if that is addressed it could make the P3 platform the ultimate alternative to multiple machines in the home.

#9 11 years ago

Great talk! Thanks for sharing. I am at year 2 stage

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

So much promise.
    One thing I would like to be addressed by Gerry here or in the future is that it's all very well to talk about changing the layout with different modules and, as mentioned recently, even adding more floating elements in the lower half but I'm concerned about the bottom third being too similar for all games. Existing pinball games have slightly different configurations of inlanes, outlanes and slings as well as rubbered posts and sides that all give a unique challenge to being able to read the behaviour of the ball and get it under control stopping it from going down the middle or sides. When you play a table long enough you intimately learn the way the ball bounces around the lower third and this is a huge part of mastering a particular table.
    I'm concerned that new modules and rules will not be enough to stop the game from feeling too samey and would love to know whether the designers have thought about how to change the way the ball behaves in the lower third and make it unique for each game/module.
    Basically pinball is not just about shot making but about reading the ball movement and control. I really think if that is addressed it could make the P3 platform the ultimate alternative to multiple machines in the home.

Gerry addresses this in the talk at about the 41 minute mark. He says the module which houses the lower flippers, out/inlanes and slings can be removed and replaced with different configurations (he mentions 4 flipper setups, zipper flippers, etc.) He also says that the assemblies on the lower part of the playfield on the sides (such as targets, etc.) can also be removed and replaced with other configurations, flippers can be placed on the side, etc. So basically there is nothing on the playfield that can't be changed.

#11 11 years ago

Enjoyed the talk.

For me, the first 15 minutes of Gerry's "straight talk" about the pinball landscape were "spot on". Low ego, no BS, frank discussion about the real challenges facing the future of pinball as a consumer product...very refreshing. This guy has a compelling vision - I hope they are successful.

I'm one of those guys who recently "sold the pool table" to make room for more pinball...

Thanks for posting!

#12 11 years ago

I was pondering this over night.... I love Gerry and the disruptive force he is trying to be, but something about p3 doesn't get me excited. I'm wondering if it is something as simple as the cabinet and art/theme.

He makes mention of how they have done things backwards. I was also pondering those images of rows of pinballs. To me, all those colors, lights, backglasses, etc, are beautiful. Right now the p3 isn't. Obviously I'm not speaking of the technology they have. So the superficial art package of it seems to be holding me up.

Anyhow, I know this will be addressed, so I look forward to that day.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I was pondering this over night.... I love Gerry and the disruptive force he is trying to be, but something about p3 doesn't get me excited. I'm wondering if it is something as simple as the cabinet and art/theme.
    He makes mention of how they have done things backwards. I was also pondering those images of rows of pinballs. To me, all those colors, lights, backglasses, etc, are beautiful. Right now the p3 isn't. Obviously I'm not speaking of the technology they have. So the superficial art package of it seems to be holding me up.
    Anyhow, I know this will be addressed, so I look forward to that day.

Based on all the "wish X company would do Y theme" threads, it's clear that theme is a key issue for many people. For folks who grew up with rows of pinballs, I understand the nostalgia. No doubt that Monomorphic's challenge is to develop a product that appeals to new, younger players while still appealing to the older, more traditional crowd. Even minor changes (like adding a DMD years ago) alienated some older players. For the same reason, JJP's massive LCD screen will turn off other players. Not possible to make everyone happy...companies that try fail.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

For folks who grew up with rows of pinballs, I understand the nostalgia. No doubt that Monomorphic's challenge is to develop a product that appeals to new, younger players while still appealing to the older, more traditional crowd. Even minor changes (like adding a DMD years ago) alienated some older players.

It's "Multimorphic".

But yeah, you are right. I've already seen comments in prior P3 threads here saying "it isn't real pinball" and crap like that. So yeah, it will be a challenge.

Personally I'm very excited about it and can't wait to see a finished version next year.

#15 11 years ago

I personally think this could be an amazing product. If anyone knows where I could watch the video of the next part of the presentation with Dennis, please post it here. Thanks.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's "Multimorphic".
    But yeah, you are right. I've already seen comments in prior P3 threads here saying "it isn't real pinball" and crap like that. So yeah, it will be a challenge.

One of the most exciting things about the P3 (to me) is the potential to have a large variety of games, each offering unique playing styles, modes, interactions, etc. While I completely agree that it will be very challenging, if not impossible, to create games that appeal to the entire gaming community, we can be successful without doing that. We (and others) can create some games that are completely traditional (common physical features combined with digitally recreated static artwork w/ 'insert lamps'), others that are completely different (crazy new physical mechs, morphing backgrounds, wacky ball interactions, cooperative and/or networked gameplay, etc), and some that fit somewhere in between.

We fully understand there's no one game that everybody universally loves. So we're creating a platform that allows us to address varying opinions. I think building a team with bleeding-edge technology experts and traditional/successful pinball designers puts us on a good path.

Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I personally think this could be an amazing product. If anyone knows where I could watch the video of the next part of the presentation with Dennis, please post it here. Thanks.

Working on it... sorry for the delay.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's "Multimorphic".

Ah yes...typo. Guess I was thinking of the inverse of "Polymorphic", a term often used in software language design (my field of expertise).

Multimorphic is certainly better than Monomorphic, but less commonly used (by me, at least

Thanks for the correction.

#18 11 years ago

Gerry,

in your seminar, you talk about cabinet side and backbox head artwork that can be swapped out or changed.

Would that be something kinda like these?

http://www.fathead.com/

Thanks,
    EV

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Would that be something kinda like these?
    http://www.fathead.com/

Kinda like... yes. Exactly like... no.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphicp3-seminar-tpf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.