(Topic ID: 294488)

Weird Al's Museum of Natural Hilarity: Multimorphic's New Game Revealed!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,733 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by May
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4524 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185454090.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185518542.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185941753.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
WAMONH_SU_1.5.3.0 (resized).jpg
screenshot_279 (resized).png
WAMONH_SU_1.5.0.0 (resized).jpg
Locking tab (resized).jpg
WeirdAlVertical (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
434E5B54-DF29-4A5F-9DAC-D914D570FF99 (resized).jpeg
671C2208-EED1-427D-9BD1-75146663BE24 (resized).jpeg
wambulance-burn[1] (resized).png
A-22984-1 P2K flipper button assembly_300x254 (resized).jpg
20230808_170853 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #313 Official announcement Posted by BMore-Pinball (2 years ago)

Post #744 How to order Posted by gstellenberg (2 years ago)

Post #938 LE kits sold-out Posted by SirSnarf (2 years ago)

Post #1150 Live stream announcement - March 19th Posted by SirSnarf (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 2 years ago

Dear lord, please no music pin. I kinda don't even care who the band is and whether I like the music or not. The whole jukebox approach feels so played out (and I wasn't into it at the beginning anyway). SO many more interesting ways to go than another dad band.

Thankfully, I'm assuming the licensed theme is not a band, since I believe it has Scott working on the music.

And yes, Scott laying down some sick Danesi beats is way different than listening to the same band lyrics/chorus OVER and OVER. I'll never get tired of hearing TNA's music, but every band game I've played has gotten old quickly.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The P3 is an ideal platform for bands that aren't popular enough to sell a couple hundred games on their own. Build one upper module with a stage and use software for band assets.

Fair enough, that's a general benefit of the platform. Aftermarket people making software-only band games sounds like a great application (although due to licensing issues, I can't see this ever happening).

I just don't really want a band game, even of my favorite bands. If I listened to a small handful of my favorite songs every time I played pinball, they wouldn't be my favorite songs for very long.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The P3 is an ideal platform for bands that aren't popular enough to sell a couple hundred games on their own. Build one upper module with a stage and use software for band assets.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s actually a pretty frickin’ great idea!

In theory this sounds cool (aside from the fact that I don't want a band game), but I can't see it ever happening. Everything we've heard from other pinball companies regarding license-holder involvement is that they want their fingers in practically all aspects - which isn't surprising. Your "one playfield for multiple bands" premise assumes that you could create the playfield with no involvement from the bands, and then they're all willing to just let you slap their assets on something they didn't help design. I don't do pinball licensing, so I'm not saying it couldn't happen, it just goes against everything we've heard about the struggles other companies have had with licensor approvals.

2 weeks later
#106 2 years ago

Come on guys, it's all right in front of you. Gerry essentially said what it is clear as day.

The first teaser was a picture of a P3 with CCR.

The second was the dinosaur meme, that said "wouldn't it be nice to have a new pinball game without having to pay thousands, clear out space, or wait for shipping?" - This means a software-only (downloadable) game, presumably on the CCR playfield.

Third teaser said "something magical is coming" and had #notthelicensedtitleyet - so it's an unlicensed magic theme.

What do I win?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I didn’t notice that hashtag before. I think they are finally bringing back the Pinball Wizard game/app, or some variation on it. Gerry speculated about it going open source, I think on a thread I posted here. I thought it would be a fantastic way to help novice players learn how to do basic skills (e.g. drop/live catches, post pass, dead flips, etc)

Techically this would fit the hints, but based on Gerry's comments, I'm not expecting to see the Pinball Wizard thing, at least for a while. And Gerry's not typically an "over hype" type of guy, so the fact he's dropping multiple teasers, I have to think it's bigger than the pinball trainer anyway.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So the next question is, how long of a stretch do MM usually go between a teaser and a release ? Scoot & Shoot was kind of dropped without hardly any fanfare, so is this an even more substantial release ?

Last thing I remember them hyping was Heist. As you said, the mini-games just kinda dropped, so I’m assuming this will be a significant offering.

Again, I think your answer was in the teasers. The first one with the CCR playfield mentioned that the licensed title wasn’t the only thing they’re working on and it was specifically dated August 2021. I took that to mean it’s releasing this month.

1 week later
#182 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Tough to go past the Cosmic Cart Racing module now that Sorcerer's Apprentice has been released. If you have that playfield you can play CCR Online, CCR Career Mode, Ranger in the Ruins and Sorcerer's Apprentice.
I wonder if MM is going to release another game for the Lexy playfield at some point? Hopefully Nick can get his adventure game Quest for Glory released so that the included value of the Lexy Module is enhanced.

I said before, that I'm possibly the world's foremost Lexy shill, I love that game and unfortunately, most people never gave it a chance. There are a ton of understandable reasons why, but it's resulted in one of the most under-appreciated games. It remains, BY FAR, the most creatively mode-diverse game on the system (and then by definition, possibly in any game). The use of virtual targets, walls/scoops, no-hold flippers, etc. is really pretty genius. (Frankly I'm disappointed that they have gone away from even trying to be this diverse in any future games.)

That said, the more I play SA, the more I like it. I definitely have some wish-list things, but the game is really well done over-all. To combine this with the 2 styles of CCR (Arcade/Career) and Ranger, this playfield is the best bang for your P3 buck, hands down. You could certainly argue that you prefer Heist over all this, but the value prop of this playfield is insane!

Quoted from Zitt:

I'd be surprised. It'd more likely come from a 3rd party.
It's theme specific unlike the CCR PF. (toys, art)
Trust me; I'd love to get more bang for my initial investment. I just personally think that Multimorphic is busy building "new stuff" rather than rehashing old stuff. CCR is still fairly new... Canyon Lagoon and Lexy are first gen stuff.

I would imagine this has a lot to do with how SA does and what their profitability is. There is no license to run out, and they already have the tooling figured out on this playfield. With SA they now have a proof-case for the full-blown software-only model. If it does well, why not make a software-only game for Lexy, and Heist, and every other playfield they come out with? If the model is profitable, why WOULDN'T they replicate it across playfields?

And as for theme, you could take one of two paths: say F- it, if the game is fun, people will pay $500 for the game and not care that the graphics have nothing to do with the new theme (and they ARE pretty secondary - it's not like you'd be trying to play Alien on a WOZ playfield) or pick an element of the playfield and roll with it (effectively retconning the rest of the art).

I can think of a few themes off the top of my head that would work well enough with this playfield:
- A more straight-forward Area 51 game, without the rednecks, etc. It's pretty much already laid out for this, but the vibe could be completely different. This could be pretty cool, actually. Either a generic Men in Black, or take a more serious alien artifact, secret base approach.

- A legit space theme based on the saucer. For having two space-tangent themes, they don't really have a space theme (Lexy is on earth and CCR is constrained in the "tube").

- Hell, you could do a Lexy sequel that starts with her leaving earth and focuses on her adventures around the universe. If you use the art style from the last set of artwork, that would be pretty sweet!

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

I still need to get ROCS as well

ROCs was always awesome, now it has Danesi beats.

BUY IT!

1 week later
#228 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have we heard any sort of timeline from MM? Sorcerer’s came out of nowhere which was awesome!! But since this involves a new playfield I’m hesitating on getting Lexy in case the new game comes out soon. If it’s going to be 6 months or so, I’ll probably just go ahead with Lexy now

They have not said, but I'd be very surprised if it was this year. I'd guess Q1/TPF of next year. Gerry has alluded to them having a bunch of new surprises in the pipeline. If true and they're smaller, more interim things, I'd guess they roll out as filler between SA and the new playfield game. No insider info on this, just a hunch.

Not gonna tell you how/when to spend your money. I'll just confirm that if you like the P3, you'll love Lexy. It's still the most creatively diverse game in terms of mode variety, and shows off the unique capabilities of the P3 tech better than any other game. Super underrated!

5 months later
#404 2 years ago

I'm a P3 shill, so I'd give just about anything a chance. Scott Danesi on music just doubles down the willingness. That said, Weird Al is about as far from a dream theme as I could think of. I literally felt the enthusiasm drain out of me when I read the title.

But I have faith in the platform and I'll give it a chance. But if this costs considerably more than the prior modules I may lose interest in a hurry. At ~$2750 like the other modules, I'm likely in on almost anything. At $4K+ I'm not buying anything on a whim, and certainly not Weird Al.

I own all the P3 modules right now. I hope this isn't the first one I pass on.

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The theme was initially surprisingly and disappointing but I’m warming up to the potential. I had zero interest in the theme of many of my favorite machines like JM, JD, IMDN… but it ultimately boils down to playfield design, rules and theme integration for me. While I generally like darker or sci-fi themes, Weird Al has a huge catalog of material and the potential to be hysterical. TSPP is the last machine that made me consistently laugh while playing. And after Heist, I trust that Gerry and Team will deliver an amazing package - not even considering the added impact of Bowen and Collin. Anxious to see the reveal and place my order.

I'm guessing it could be like TZ, RBION, EHOH, etc. in terms of eclectic content and modes. Which could be fun if done right. I'm open minded about anything on this platform, because I believe in what they've done already and what Gerry has expressed he hopes to do going forward (generally speaking).

That said, I'm not sure how much this theme is going to move the needle for most people. I mean, the theme was announced yesterday and the thread isn't even on fire, or constantly staying on the first page. I hate to say it, but if this really was a dream theme for a lot of people, there would be a lot more chatter going on here.

Hopefully this game does "enough" for Multimorphic, and maybe thousands of orders overnight would be overwhelming and a bad thing. I just think we're seeing how interested people are in Weird Al without any additional context. Game could be great. Game may be a HUGE success for the P3. Doesn't change that it hasn't generated any buzz. I hope that changes as the game is revealed.

#481 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

does it feel too "same-y"?

NOT AT ALL!

Heist plays completely different than Lexy, and they both play completely different than CCR/Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I know people have not adopted the platform or the games in droves, so I'm not surprised Multimorphic doesn't get a lot of credit. But people are really sleeping on their playfield layouts. I'm eager to see Weird Al, because word is the layout is amazing, and I don't doubt it based on what I've seen so far.

I absolutely LOVE Lexy for how diverse the modes are, but it is definitely their weakest layout, and that's the one designed by Nordman. CCR/SA is an absolute flow monster! It's insane how smooth those loop shots are. Really fast and fun.

Heist is packed and a really cool/fun layout too.

Gerry - you're never going to win me over on the separate button for the upper flipper, and new players NEVER use it. Please think about a setting to use the standard flipper button to control the upper flipper like all other games.

That point aside, the depth and variability of all the P3 games is insane.

So, if the games or the platform isn't for you...fine. But don't get caught up in the "empty playfield makes the games the same" narrative. Couldn't be further from the truth.

#484 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I will comment that even with the same pf module, but you switch games, like CCR module/game and you play ranger in the ruins they feel different. Because different shots are important. I get the shots are the same but the game(s) feel different.

This is a good point too.

**Short plug for RITR - best mini-game ever!**

CCR and SA are both "full" games on the same playfield, but they play so different because of the assets and the rules. CCR encourages on-the-fly flowing of shots. SA requires you to be a bit more deliberate.

And the whole concept of using the secondary flipper buttons to change your spell (weapon) before you hit certain shots is genius. So hard to do, but such a great concept and so fun to try.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

sounds like software could solve that, if it were made into an option.

Yeah, I'm not advocating to take the functionality away. I just think in the spirit of the platform trying to be something for everyone (especially non-pinheads), there should be a setting that allows the flippers to function the way they do in every other pinball machine. The control scheme should never be a barrier to entry.

Quoted from northvibe:

IIRC the p3 can be changed to have lower and upper flippers use the 1 button... I think that has been an option "forever".

If this is true, it wouldn't be the first time something I was hoping for had been there all along. LOL

#496 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

And P3 deserves credit for putting those buttons at the player's fingertips, rather than inconveniently on the lockdown bar.

Paging the Magna-save in BK:SOR...

Quoted from BamBam:

I've seen a couple posts where ppl say P3s weigh "a lot". Does anyone know if they weigh more than a normal machine and how much?

Oh god yes! I usually do the whole kneel down, put your one knee under the game, and lift your heel to prop up the game (to swap/remove legs, put something under the feet, etc).

I just finished powder coating my P3 and dear lord! I thought my calf was going to explode trying to hold the game in this position while I swapped the legs.

The Hobbit and surprisingly Safecracker were the 2 heaviest games I've moved. I think the P3 is about the weight of the 2 of them put together.

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

The P3 weighs 335 lbs (Source: Multimorphic support site), actually 16 lbs less than The Hobbit, which weighs 351 lbs (Source: JJP games page).[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from rockrand:

My god when I moved my p3 I busted a nut and it felt way heavier the any jjp I have moved down stairs and I have moved the all including woz and hobbit but it did have the Heist installed and it is by far the heaviest of the modules.

That HAS to be a typo somewhere. My experience was the same. Hobbit was really heavy. But the P3 is REALLY heavy. Some of it could be a weight distribution thing, but damn this thing just feels like a tank.

#526 2 years ago

They both qualify as hernia-inducing, which is all you really need to know.

#605 2 years ago

Not really a Weird Al fan, so I was *meh* at best on announcement.

Holy S#!T.

Mic drop on this playfield.

You son of a bitch...I'm in!

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm still not sold on it, not with games like ROCs, Barnyard, and Cannon Lagoon being released.

Well obviously if you're basing it off the mini-games.

The cornerstone P3 games are awesome if you actually give them a fair chance. None of them are my single favorite game in my basement, but the P3 would be one of the absolute last "games" I sold.

Just based on Stern games in my basement:
My newest game (that I'm loving on) is BK:SOF Prem. Nothin on the lower playfield.

Stranger Things Prem, which is being recognized as having developed into an awesome game. Nothing on the lower playfield.

EHOH, which is generally regarded as pretty awesome. Nothing on the lower playfield.

Hell, even AIQ and Deadpool don't really have anything down low either. The little Deadpool area is about where the scoop wall is.

These games all play ENTIRELY different, and are all awesome.

Can we PLEASE drop the open playfield means the games aren't good or are all same-y? It's just wrong.

You don't have to like anything on the P3, but let's actually use legit reasons.

And no - condemning the platform for Barnyard isn't a legit reason either.

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Really? Ummm you are missing the magna save, 3 drop targets, and shooter lane from the lower playfield in Black Knight premium lol. None of that can be replicated in the P3 lower playfield area. You are missing items on other games as well.
[quoted image]
In Elvira you forgot about the lower ball lock and ball eject mechs too.
[quoted image]

I get side targets, P3 has side targets. My point was not everything needs to be TWD bash toy in the middle of the playfield to still feel and play differently.

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

MMs modular business is great in that new customers starting with Weird Al's are now a potential customer base for all their previous modules, like Heist and Lexy. But with Weird Al being their first licensed theme, it begs the question for how long are they licensed to make and sell Weird Al? Say five (or more) years from now someone buys their first P3 system with the new game they release at that time, but wants to add Weird Al as a second module. For how long does MM have the license?

I want to buy a KISS Premium. My guess is that buyer would be in the same boat I'm in. SOL or find a used one.

5 months later
#1562 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

GSR and SA are the last two games I need!!!! I'll have to use them as my xmas/bday gifts

Assuming you have the CCR playfield, Sorcerer's Apprentice is the best $500 you can spend in all of pinball. No contest!

6 months later
#2354 1 year ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

I would like to publicly thank d0n for selling his P3. The new owner seems to be loving it (and hitting the right ramp and spiral ramp without issue). Win-win.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

CLASSIC!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, IN
8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
11,500 (OBO)
8,499 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-s-next-p3-game-will-be-licensed-danesi-on-music?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.