(Topic ID: 294488)

Weird Al's Museum of Natural Hilarity: Multimorphic's New Game Revealed!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,722 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by icyjones
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240407_185454090.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185518542.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185941753.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
WAMONH_SU_1.5.3.0 (resized).jpg
screenshot_279 (resized).png
WAMONH_SU_1.5.0.0 (resized).jpg
Locking tab (resized).jpg
WeirdAlVertical (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
434E5B54-DF29-4A5F-9DAC-D914D570FF99 (resized).jpeg
671C2208-EED1-427D-9BD1-75146663BE24 (resized).jpeg
wambulance-burn[1] (resized).png
A-22984-1 P2K flipper button assembly_300x254 (resized).jpg
20230808_170853 (resized).jpg
IMG_0092 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,722 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 55.
#601 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Based on pricing, if you are concerned about comparative costs it looks like you would need/want to purchase a full P3 setup and at least one additional game module. This would put you at about the same costs as two new Premium level pins. Then it comes down to if/how often you would want to swap playfields, graphics, plastics, etc. Lots of factors to consider that make it a difficult decision for me.

I don't get your math. A P3 machine with the Weird Al module would be $8300 + $3000 = $11,300. Isn't a stern Premium machine like $8600 to your door on a good day? Therefore $8600 + $8600 = $17,200.00. So you could get the P3 machine ($8300), plus Weird Al ($3000), plus Heist ($2750), plus another module ($2500) for a total of $16,550 (less than 2 premiums)?

#602 2 years ago

I have all the modules and you really can’t go wrong. I would say it depends on who your audience is. It’s going to be a bunch of kids playing regularly canyon lagoon is a good one. Cosmic cart racing what is a solid game on it’s own but was sorcerers apprentice it has a double value. As a bonus, there is ranger an inexpensive additional game that runs on CCR. Heist is an awesome game. I’m just now getting good at it. The only thing about having Heist is that the crane requires calibration. Every few weeks I have to go through the calibration routine which takes about four minutes. It’s a nuisance but keeps the crane working so that I can pick up the ball reliably. I swap the modules in an out depending on my mood. Takes about five minutes to do. I make the change about once a month to keep the game room interesting.

#603 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Heist seems like an obvious choice as the main game but what would those of you that have owned them recommend for the second module?

I'm sort of biased as I've written games for every existing module (till today!), but CCR provides the largest number of alternate games playable on a single module, and they are all quite different. Lexy is a really fun experience that utilizes each of the aspects of the platform to great effect. Cannon Lagoon is great for the variety of games available (redemption, pitch and bat, rhythm).

Heist is an excellent, excellent game, though. Everything from progression to shot layout/geometry to lighting.

#604 2 years ago

"PM Sent"... oh yeah, right.
Have my Draft email saved and ready to go out at 9am Monday.

#605 2 years ago

Not really a Weird Al fan, so I was *meh* at best on announcement.

Holy S#!T.

Mic drop on this playfield.

You son of a bitch...I'm in!

#606 2 years ago

Man and people said we were over hyping it on Flippin and Mashing

#607 2 years ago

Weird Al looks LOADED! I always thought a Weird Al game would be awesome, and that 8k price for a base P3 is enticing....

The only drawback is resale. When I buy a game, I know that I can sell or trade it down the road for something else. If I were to a P3 and buy modules that go with it, I would have to sell the whole thing as a package deal, but then I'd also be out on all new modules...

However, if P3 keeps releasing titles I'm into and those titles are only 3k each, that's far more appealing than a 7k Stern pro.

But again, that's 3k I'm locked into vs a 7k pro I can sell or trade later...

What to do what to do...

#608 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

If I were to a P3 and buy modules that go with it

Why not sell or trade the modules separately from the base platform? There's nothing that prevents you from doing so, and in fact when it happens the modules are scooped up super quickly.

You can ship a module via UPS, and it's far easier to mechanically inspect a used module than a used traditional pinball.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Weird Al looks LOADED! I always thought a Weird Al game would be awesome, and that 8k price for a base P3 is enticing....
The only drawback is resale. When I buy a game, I know that I can sell or trade it down the road for something else. If I were to a P3 and buy modules that go with it, I would have to sell the whole thing as a package deal, but then I'd also be out on all new modules...
However, if P3 keeps releasing titles I'm into and those titles are only 3k each, that's far more appealing than a 7k Stern pro.
But again, that's 3k I'm locked into vs a 7k pro I can sell or trade later...
But Bowen is on Facebook telling us all that this title has NOTHING on the next one...
What to do what to do...

Ahhhh crap, we need a new P3 thread for the NEXT title?! Man MM may make more new games this year than Stern LOL

#610 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I don't get your math. A P3 machine with the Weird Al module would be $8300 + $3000 = $11,300. Isn't a stern Premium machine like $8600 to your door on a good day? Therefore $8600 + $8600 = $17,200.00. So you could get the P3 machine ($8300), plus Weird Al ($3000), plus Heist ($2750), plus another module ($2500) for a total of $16,550 (less than 2 premiums)?

Personally I rather have two Stern premiums over 1 P3 cabinet + module. The generic lower 2/3 of the P3 playfield with no artwork, lack of inserts, etc is unappealing IMO. Resale value seems significantly higher for Stern games versus P3.

The P3 system has a bit of that jack of all trades device vibe in the sense that it claims to do all of these amazing things but it can't really replicate 1 typical modern pinball machine very well. I'm still not sold on it. A licensed game like Weird Al is a step in the right direction, hopefully there are more licensed modules to follow.

#611 2 years ago

I’ve seen this topic a few times. Why he doesn’t do Michael Jackson songs anymore

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/weird-al-yankovic-michael-jackson-parodies-8517896/

#612 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

not with games like ROCs, Barnyard, and Cannon Lagoon being released.

The cool thing about a platform like the P3 is that you don't have to buy the games that don't appeal to you. And not every game is for everyone, which is totally fine. Think of it like a video game console or computer - you don't have to buy every piece of software available, or every piece of add-on hardware.

For myself, ROCs is an absolute blast, especially with Scott Danesi's new music. And it works on every playfield module.

#613 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:The generic lower 2/3 of the P3 playfield with no artwork, lack of inserts, etc is unappealing IMO

WTF??? The whole thing is dynamic artwork, inserts? are you kidding? anything and everything you want can be shown on the lower 2/3, and can all be interacted with.

#614 2 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

The cool thing about a platform like the P3 is that you don't have to buy the games that don't appeal to you. And not every game is for everyone, which is totally fine. Think of it like a video game console or computer - you don't have to buy every piece of software available, or every piece of add-on hardware.
For myself, ROCs is an absolute blast, especially with Scott Danesi's new music. And it works on every playfield module.

Good points. I was thinking of that and removed the comment. It's nice to have choices.

Quoted from BorgDog:

WTF??? The whole thing is dynamic artwork, inserts? are you kidding? anything and everything you want can be shown on the lower 2/3, and can all be interacted with.

Just not a fan of the LCD and generic vibe of the lower 2/3 of the playfield. I prefer the lower 2/3 of a playfield to be filled with artwork with inserts, LED's, additional shots, proper shooter lane / rod, etc.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm still not sold on it, not with games like ROCs, Barnyard, and Cannon Lagoon being released.

Well obviously if you're basing it off the mini-games.

The cornerstone P3 games are awesome if you actually give them a fair chance. None of them are my single favorite game in my basement, but the P3 would be one of the absolute last "games" I sold.

Just based on Stern games in my basement:
My newest game (that I'm loving on) is BK:SOF Prem. Nothin on the lower playfield.

Stranger Things Prem, which is being recognized as having developed into an awesome game. Nothing on the lower playfield.

EHOH, which is generally regarded as pretty awesome. Nothing on the lower playfield.

Hell, even AIQ and Deadpool don't really have anything down low either. The little Deadpool area is about where the scoop wall is.

These games all play ENTIRELY different, and are all awesome.

Can we PLEASE drop the open playfield means the games aren't good or are all same-y? It's just wrong.

You don't have to like anything on the P3, but let's actually use legit reasons.

And no - condemning the platform for Barnyard isn't a legit reason either.

#616 2 years ago

This def looks like their best game to date. I'd like to see some gameplay streams first, though. I'm still a bit concerned with the "Flash Animation"/app/slot machine art direction & animation of the main LCD playfield. At least they're working with good main assets with the Matt Andrews art...but the floatiness of the animation & generic fonts is keeping me from plunking my money down. The physical design of the module looks awesome.

That topper is crazy...but I'm gonna hold back my FOMO on this one...I actually like the art package of the standard edition better.

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Well obviously if you're basing it off the mini-games.
The cornerstone P3 games are awesome if you actually give them a fair chance. None of them are my single favorite game in my basement, but the P3 would be one of the absolute last "games" I sold.
Just based on Stern games in my basement:
My newest game (that I'm loving on) is BK:SOF Prem. Nothin on the lower playfield.
Stranger Things Prem, which is being recognized as having developed into an awesome game. Nothing on the lower playfield.
EHOH, which is generally regarded as pretty awesome. Nothing on the lower playfield.
Hell, even AIQ and Deadpool don't really have anything down low either. The little Deadpool area is about where the scoop wall is.
These games all play ENTIRELY different, and are all awesome.
Can we PLEASE drop the open playfield means the games aren't good or are all same-y? It's just wrong.
You don't have to like anything on the P3, but let's actually use legit reasons.
And no - condemning the platform for Barnyard isn't a legit reason either.

Really? Ummm you are missing the magna save, 3 drop targets, and shooter lane from the lower playfield in Black Knight premium lol. None of that can be replicated in the P3 lower playfield area. You are missing items on other games as well.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 130147 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-24 130147 (resized).jpg

In Elvira you forgot about the lower ball lock and ball eject mechs too.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 130601 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-24 130601 (resized).jpg

#619 2 years ago

I notice this is the first release with a speaker panel graphic. Seems like it covers the P3 logo that is normally lit up, but speakers are lit on this one. Guess this will be the new panel design, going forward.

#620 2 years ago

The LE looks amazing.

Gonna be sold out in minutes.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Gonna be sold out in minutes.

Very well might.

The wise folks will remember what happened with Halloween, and will pick up "spots" in line at their leisure in six months.

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Really? Ummm you are missing the magna save, 3 drop targets, and shooter lane from the lower playfield in Black Knight premium lol. None of that can be replicated in the P3 lower playfield area. You are missing items on other games as well.
[quoted image]
In Elvira you forgot about the lower ball lock and ball eject mechs too.
[quoted image]

I get side targets, P3 has side targets. My point was not everything needs to be TWD bash toy in the middle of the playfield to still feel and play differently.

#623 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I get side targets, P3 has side targets. My point was not everything needs to be TWD bash toy in the middle of the playfield to still feel and play differently.

The lower P3 playfield has stationary side targets, not drop targets (huge difference) or any other mech (besides flippers / slings) in the lower 2/3 area. The platform looks cool but to say typical modern pins are empty as well in the lower 2/3 area is not true. Weird Al looks like their best and most loaded game to date.

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

None of that can be replicated in the P3 lower playfield area.

Any of those items (aside from the shooter lane, and I'm sure a more clever person than I could make that happen if they really wanted to cut playable real estate) can be replicated on the lower portion. Just a matter of having a game that requires them, swap time, costs. The P3 has a series of channels in the lower playfield into which just about anything could be slotted.

As with the flippers and slings, they just have to be engineered differently. There are examples of different implementations of those ideas in pinball machines from many earlier years. I happen to know because I'm working on just such a device for my next game (which is a full module). It may not make it into the final cut, but I have prototypes currently.

The crane in Heist also comes way out onto the lower playfield, can hold a ball and sweep or act as a bash toy in and of itself.

Totally fine, again, to not enjoy any game! Art, and gameplay, are subjective experiences. I would encourage you to try a P3 or this game at some point and see what you think.

#625 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Very well might.
The wise folks will remember what happened with Halloween, and will pick up "spots" in line at their leisure in six months.

1250 v 227 might make a difference though!

#626 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yup. 227 is truly limited, not this 500+ "limited" business.

#627 2 years ago

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup. 227 is truly limited, not this 500+ "limited" business.

I'm rooting for multimorphic and will likely be sending my order in Monday. However, I would be shocked if they sold out of 227 LEs at any point in time, much less at release. I would be pleasantly surprised, but shocked. I think that would imply this module outsells all the other modules combined.

#628 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

My point was "about" the same (I was going off the top of my head as I hadn't actually put the numbers into a spreadsheet to compare). I was thinking around $16K for 2 new premiums if you shop around and you can buy those from dealers out of state (no sales tax) and free shipping (I live in TX, so no way out of paying sales tax on a P3). I'd also want game specific artwork and plastics, but unclear to me if these are included with the add-on modules or if they cost extra. For WA at $11,300 plus a $2750 module I'm at $14,050 + $1160 in sales tax + I'm guessing about $250 in shipping which totals $15,460 (a little less, but about the $16K I'd be into P3 for).

Regardless, for anyone if you are only looking at a single pin/title then they higher up-front cost might be tough for many to swallow. My main point, however, is that if you purchase at least one additional game module you're at a break-even point, and beyond that you are significantly ahead. Now it just comes down to preferences of having 2 separate pins you can play at all times or converting your one pin (assuming you are limited in budget and space).

#629 2 years ago

I don't think there's any question this module will outsell all previous modules combined, by a lot.

#630 2 years ago

Aside from Al's big fan base, I think some folks are not realizing the huge opening in the market for a fun, funny, family-friendly, silly theme.

#631 2 years ago

Any of those items (aside from the shooter lane, and I'm sure a more clever person than I could make that happen if they really wanted to cut playable real estate) can be replicated on the lower portion. Just a matter of having a game that requires them, swap time, costs. The P3 has a series of channels in the lower playfield into which just about anything could be slotted.
As with the flippers and slings, they just have to be engineered differently. There are examples of different implementations of those ideas in pinball machines from many earlier years. I happen to know because I'm working on just such a device for my next game (which is a full module). It may not make it into the final cut, but I have prototypes currently.
The crane in Heist also comes way out onto the lower playfield, can hold a ball and sweep or act as a bash toy in and of itself.
Totally fine, again, to not enjoy any game! Art, and gameplay, are subjective experiences. I would encourage you to try a P3 or this game at some point and see what you think.

I'm looking forward to trying one, would like to own one if I had more room. The platform is cool but there are limitations with the lower 2/3 of the playfield with the way it's designed. With the size and placement of the LCD lower playfield items like a shooter lane, scoops, saucers, magna saves, magna slings, magnets, kickbacks, and lower playfield artwork are not possible. That's the trade off for having an LCD lower playfield + upper playfield that can be changed at anytime which is an awesome and innovative feature.

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My point was "about" the same (I was going off the top of my head as I hadn't actually put the numbers into a spreadsheet to compare). I was thinking around $16K for 2 new premiums if you shop around and you can buy those from dealers out of state (no sales tax) and free shipping (I live in TX, so no way out of paying sales tax on a P3). I'd also want game specific artwork and plastics, but unclear to me if these are included with the add-on modules or if they cost extra. For WA at $11,300 plus a $2750 module I'm at $14,050 + $1160 in sales tax + I'm guessing about $250 in shipping which totals $15,460 (a little less, but about the $16K I'd be into P3 for).
Regardless, for anyone if you are only looking at a single pin/title then they higher up-front cost might be tough for many to swallow. My main point, however, is that if you purchase at least one additional game module you're at a break-even point, and beyond that you are significantly ahead. Now it just comes down to preferences of having 2 separate pins you can play at all times or converting your one pin (assuming you are limited in budget and space).

Sorry - I thought when you said "one game module" you meant just the P3 and one module (not an additional on top of the Weird Al module).

Please send me the info for the Stern distributor who is getting a Premium game to your door for 8k! I want to work with that distributor!

#633 2 years ago

I created a spotify playlist with all the songs, in case anyone wants to check them all out. Titled it the name of the game. I think not having Frank's 2000 inch TV was a missed opportunity.

#634 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm looking forward to trying one, would like to own one if I had more room. The platform is cool but there are limitations with the lower 2/3 of the playfield with the way it's designed. With the size and placement of the LCD lower playfield items like a shooter lane, scoops, saucers, magna saves, magna slings, magnets, kickbacks, and lower playfield artwork are not possible. That's the trade off for having an LCD lower playfield + upper playfield that can be changed at anytime which is an awesome and innovative feature.

You totally need to play one! and have the owner swap pf modules so you can play a few to see how you feel about the feeling of different games. If you ever swing through Superior or Duluth, holla!

#635 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The platform is cool but there are limitations with the lower 2/3 of the playfield with the way it's designed. With the size and placement of the LCD lower playfield items like a shooter lane, scoops, saucers, magna saves, magna slings, magnets, kickbacks, and lower playfield artwork are not possible.

You can absolutely put any of that stuff on the bottom 2/3! In fact, having a game with magna slings that you can super easily (one connector and slide in and out) to change with normal and have the game respond properly in either case is a huge strength of the platform.

Shooter lane you could do, but staging the launch would be kinda silly, IMO. It would also cut the playable area by the width of the lane. The P3 gives a huge number of potential launch spots and the ability to stage launches in a way that allows you to program delivery to a lower/upper flipper or to a specific point on the screen or in the upper module area. Any of the launcher spots work in this fashion.

Kickbacks are really easy. Magna save float where you want 'em. Scoops, flip up vs. down. Saucers, off the top of my head, a cage like the ones in TOTAN, but upside-down (but I guarantee there's an easier/smaller way to do it). There are truly a million design possibilities, and really it comes down to whether you or Multimorphic want those items in your game.

None of that stuff is on any existing module, but it doesn't mean that it can't be (which would be a limitation).

As far as artwork, since the whole thing is dynamic, you have even more artwork than a wood playfield. However, if that's not enough, you can also stack plastics or other 3d artwork or even an entire screen if you really wanted to.

You can move targets from place to place on the screen anywhere, including in the flipper area. I built a game with a phantom flip style minigame embedded within where you're competing against someone throwing daggers. That uses an invisible target to tell the flipper when it's time to go.

The platform has incredible creative possibilities - perhaps more than are readily apparent!

#636 2 years ago

I would think that's Bowen and Colin on rules and Michael Ocean (Buffy and others) and Gerry Stellenberg.

Don't forget Bowen and Colin on the code so rules should be good for everyone.
How quick are the 227 LE's gonna sell out?!

#637 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Very well might.

P3 buyers are a bit higher in the pinball gene pool…not the types who swim towards flashy spinny things just to flip.

#638 2 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Aside from Al's big fan base, I think some folks are not realizing the huge opening in the market for a fun, funny, family-friendly, silly theme.

You mean like Punny Factory?

#639 2 years ago

What is up with the wall of scoops now being motorized and not coils,are all new p3 comming with this setup and is it better,sounds like a more complicated setup with motors?

#640 2 years ago

This is One of two themes I can think of that would actually look better packed with mods.
Very packed.

#641 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I think not having Frank's 2000 inch TV was a missed opportunity.

100% agree.

Quoted from rockrand:

What is up with the wall of scoops now being motorized and not coils,are all new p3 comming with this setup and is it better,sounds like a more complicated setup with motors?

I was wondering about that after seeing the vid too. It's been a while since I've played a P3, but I didn't remember them working that way!

#642 2 years ago

motorized scoops means easier to adjust them via a menu than physically

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

. I think that would imply this module outsells all the other modules combined.

Educate a noob here...is a "module" a populated playfield? Or does it include/require swapping anything else?

#644 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Existing wall and scoop modules are coil-driven. This means that they need occasional maintenance to keep them leveled. As with any mechanical device when this happens is going to vary. For example, I've developed four games and played an absolute ton of every game out there currently over the past three years and just had to level one of the scoops.

The new wall and scoop module is self-leveling. That means it will always play at peak performance, without adjustment. I would imagine that maintenance should be minimal, with the worst potential problem being an individual motor replacement. Knowing how they've engineered other pieces (including the existing mechanism), I expect it to be pretty simple to maintain.

I have no special knowledge of the new wall and scoop module, just going based on what has been revealed so far.

#645 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Educate a noob here...is a "module" a populated playfield? Or does it include/require swapping anything else?

That's right, no other swapping required. However, you can also change other things like slingshot plastics, magnetic cabinet art and the apron magnet if you like.

#646 2 years ago

Existing wall and scoop modules are coil-driven. This means that they need occasional maintenance to keep them leveled. As with any mechanical device when this happens is going to vary. For example, I've developed four games and played an absolute ton of every game out there currently over the past three years and just had to level one of the scoops.
The new module is self-leveling. That means it will always play at peak performance, without adjustment. I would imagine that maintenance should be minimal, with the worst potential problem being an individual motor replacement. Knowing how they've engineered other pieces (including the existing mechanism), I expect it to be pretty simple to maintain.
I have no special knowledge of the new module, just going based on what has been revealed so far.

Also, WAY LESS COILS. Coils have cost, weight, size, etc.

#647 2 years ago

I wonder what the wall upgrade will cost ,I am not sure it is worth doing?

#648 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

wall upgrade will cost

They haven't revealed that yet. It's optional, so there's not a requirement to upgrade.

#649 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This def looks like their best game to date. I'd like to see some gameplay streams first, though. I'm still a bit concerned with the "Flash Animation"/app/slot machine art direction & animation of the main LCD playfield. At least they're working with good main assets with the Matt Andrews art...but the floatiness of the animation & generic fonts is keeping me from plunking my money down. The physical design of the module looks awesome.
That topper is crazy...but I'm gonna hold back my FOMO on this one...I actually like the art package of the standard edition better.

Idk man- weird Al Rambo is pretty awesome lol

#650 2 years ago

No Im Fat or Eat it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (OBO)
$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, IN
8,499 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,722 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 55.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-s-next-p3-game-will-be-licensed-danesi-on-music/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.