(Topic ID: 294488)

Weird Al's Museum of Natural Hilarity: Multimorphic's New Game Revealed!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4524 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185454090.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185518542.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
PXL_20240407_185941753.RAW-01.COVER (resized).jpg
WAMONH_SU_1.5.3.0 (resized).jpg
screenshot_279 (resized).png
WAMONH_SU_1.5.0.0 (resized).jpg
Locking tab (resized).jpg
WeirdAlVertical (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
434E5B54-DF29-4A5F-9DAC-D914D570FF99 (resized).jpeg
671C2208-EED1-427D-9BD1-75146663BE24 (resized).jpeg
wambulance-burn[1] (resized).png
A-22984-1 P2K flipper button assembly_300x254 (resized).jpg
20230808_170853 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,731 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 55.
#451 2 years ago

C'mon....we are Weird Al fans...we are nerds.

Surprised that no one else has done this, so here goes.

Teaser Analysis:

based on the few pictures we saw, here are my song predicitons;

Weird Al Reveal (resized).jpgWeird Al Reveal (resized).jpg

- Taco Grande
- Tacky
- George Of The Jungle
- UHF
- White + Nerdy
- Harvey The Wonder Hamster
- Word Crimes
- Handy
- Germs
- Like A Surgeon
- Stuck In The Drive-Thru
- Weasel Stomping Day

Anybody else catch anything I missed?

Later,
EV

#452 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

But Weird Al is a FORMER pinball guy," I used to be a pinball freak... that's where you'd find me every week... but now it's Pac-Man".

why is the title squeeze box (a who song) but the song is the beatles taxman?

#453 2 years ago

How does the song licensing work in the case of Weird Al? Do rights to the original song also need to be acquired so the parody song is included in the game?

My question is, will this game have his famous parodies or mostly his original songs?

#454 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Teaser Analysis:
[quoted image]
- Taco Grande
- Tacky
- George Of The Jungle
- UHF
- White + Nerdy
- Word Crimes
- Handy
- Germs
- Like A Surgeon
- Weasel Stomping Day
Later,
EV

sometimes artwork doesnt reflect the song list, but it could very well. im assuming a parody means only licensing through weird al and doesnt require any permission from the original artist

#455 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

How does the song licensing work in the case of Weird Al? Do rights to the original song also need to be acquired so the parody song is included in the game?
My question is, will this game have his famous parodies or mostly his original songs?

I guess all will be revealed soon. I have to imagine he owns his parodies.

#456 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Teaser Analysis:
[quoted image]
- Taco Grande
- Tacky
- George Of The Jungle
- UHF
- White + Nerdy
- Word Crimes
- Handy
- Germs
- Like A Surgeon
- Weasel Stomping Day
Later,
EV

I'll join this one:
In addition to the above:
Virus Alert,
White and Nerdy
Like a Surgeon
Dare to be stupid
Hardware Store
I'm so handy

Weird Al Speculation (resized).pngWeird Al Speculation (resized).png
#457 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why is the title squeeze box (a who song) but the song is the beatles taxman?

His box set was called Squeeze Box (like an accordion), and the song is a parody of Taxman.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Parody songs fall under fair use. He gets permission and even pays royalties sometimes (I think) on his parody songs just because hes a nice guy, but technically he doesn't have to. For his polka versions/mashups they are considered covers and do need things cleared. From his wikipedia:

Under the "fair use" provision of U.S. copyright law, affirmed by the United States Supreme Court in the 1994 case Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., artists such as Yankovic do not need permission to record a parody. However, as a personal rule and as a means of maintaining good relationships, Yankovic has always sought permission from the original artist before commercially releasing a parody. Yankovic stated of these efforts: "I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. I don't want to be embroiled in any nastiness. That's not how I live my life. I like everybody to be in on the joke and be happy for my success. I take pains not to burn bridges." The communications are typically handled by his manager Jay Levey, but at times Yankovic has asked the artist directly, such as flying to Denver, Colorado, to attend an Iggy Azalea concert and speak to her personally about parodying her song "Fancy". He claims that only about two to three percent of the artists he approaches for permission deny his requests.

Separately, Yankovic needs to negotiate for royalties to the original artists for including their songs within a polka medley, which is considered a cover in copyright law. This created difficulties in recording his first medley "Polkas on 45" since it involved thirteen different royalty schemes, but since then he has established a relationship with most large music publishers to easily secure the license to use their songs.

#459 2 years ago

While I'm not the world's biggest Weird Al fan, I've long thought Weird Al would make for a great theme. I'm excited to see the layout and gameplay and maybe one day actually play it.

My big issue is that, as a P3 game, the likelihood of it making its way on location is basically non-existent. And the cost of entry feels too high for someone who isn't fully committed to the P3 platform. With that being said, I hope this theme/game blows the lid off of P3 and finally gets it the attention that it deserves.

#460 2 years ago

I wonder how many boxes of unreleased parodies are in his closet because the original artists didn't give permission.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

While I'm not the world's biggest Weird Al fan, I've long thought Weird Al would make for a great theme. I'm excited to see the layout and gameplay and maybe one day actually play it.
My big issue is that, as a P3 game, the likelihood of it making its way on location is basically non-existent. And the cost of entry feels too high for someone who isn't fully committed to the P3 platform. With that being said, I hope this theme/game blows the lid off of P3 and finally gets it the attention that it deserves.

Never mind location. We don't actually have any MM distributor in Canada. Pretty difficult to find folks who managed to get one.

#462 2 years ago

For those of you who have Amazon Prime, the movie UHF is available to stream for free.

Just watched it last night for the first time since it came out in 1989. Great low budget 80's cheese fest.

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:Never mind location. We don't actually have any MM distributor in Canada. Pretty difficult to find folks who managed to get one.

There is a member/owner in Canada, I would think you can contact MM directly for the shipment across the boarder? I've shipped to CAN and didn't have too much of an issue as long as the paperwork was done.

#464 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For those of you who have Amazon Prime, the movie UHF is available to stream for free.
Just watched it last night for the first time since it came out in 1989. Great low budget 80's cheese fest.

Good to know, I'm gonna have to re-watch it soon. It's been a while!

#465 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I wonder how many boxes of unreleased parodies are in his closet because the original artists didn't give permission.

He asks permission before he does it

The only major issue I think he had was with Amish Paradise. Coolio’s record company gave approval but Coolio was first upset because he wasn’t directly asked/informed. But Coolio got over it and apologized for being ugly about it at the time.

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The only major issue I think he had was with Amish Paradise. Coolio’s record company gave approval but Coolio was first upset because he wasn’t directly asked/informed. But Coolio got over it and apologized for being ugly about it at the time.

I am a huge Weird Al fan and this always bothered me. I would like to present to you the evolution of this song and why Coolio does not have a leg to stand on... he was sampling Stevie Wonder for his version. For those of you unfamiliar with Weird Al, stylistically this is one of his greatest achievements. What do you feed chickens?

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I was imagining that he created drafts prior to asking to give the artist an idea of what they were consenting to.

#468 2 years ago

I am a huge Weird Al fan and this always bothered me. I would like to present to you the evolution of this song and why Coolio does not have a leg to stand on... he was sampling Stevie Wonder for his version. For those of you unfamiliar with Weird Al, stylistically this is one of his greatest achievements. What do you feed chickens?

It’s not about the sample. He was upset because he wrote what felt like a very serious and personal song, and then Weird Al made fun of it.

He was just taking himself too seriously at the time. He lightened up over it.

He might have also been annoyed because he worked with Stevie Wonder to make the lyrics acceptable to Wonder

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Teaser Analysis:
[quoted image]
- Taco Grande
- Tacky
- George Of The Jungle
- UHF
- White + Nerdy
- Word Crimes
- Handy
- Germs
- Like A Surgeon
- Weasel Stomping Day
Later,
EV

Nice work! I noticed a few of these but you definitely found more. Those are a lot of promising references.

#470 2 years ago

I've toyed with ordering P3, but I'm not sure where else to ask this.

How does the playfield feel compared to a "traditional" machine? And given how open the front 2/3 of the playfield is on most game kits, does it feel too "same-y"?

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

What about the P3 do you think makes it less likely to be on location? Just that it's something kinda odd and new, or the extra technology might scare operators or...? The price *is* high, but I continue to be surprised by the number of Stern LEs in bars etc., and the P3 isn't much more expensive than those now.

#472 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

How does the playfield feel compared to a "traditional" machine? And given how open the front 2/3 of the playfield is on my game kits, does it feel too "same-y"?

The bottom 2/3 is open but the screen will have targets and objectives displayed on it that will interact with the ball being tracked by a grid of optos. (Or on something like Heist, the crane extends down into that area to interact in a few ways)

#473 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The bottom 2/3 is open but the screen will have targets and objectives displayed on it that will interact with the ball being tracked by a grid of optos. (Or on something like Heist, the crane extends down into that area to interact in a few ways)

My big p3 question is how do the flippers feel? I'm a huge flipper stickler

#474 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

They feel good. They work different than typical ones but the power and snappiness feels right.

#475 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

How does the playfield feel compared to a "traditional" machine? And given how open the front 2/3 of the playfield is on most game kits, does it feel too "same-y"?

You definitely need to find one and spend some time on it. It “feels” like pinball to me. Does take a little getting used to. I played Heist at expo and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately there are no P3s on location near me

#476 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I played P3 for the first time 10 years ago at a show where I also played WOZ for the first time. I cancelled my WOZ order based on the flipper feel. I really was impressed with the flippers of P3. Granted, that was an early proto…I’ve heard conflicting opinions over the years…but it sounds like they’ve improved things multiple times since starting official production.

#477 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

You definitely need to find one and spend some time on it. It “feels” like pinball to me. Does take a little getting used to. I played Heist at expo and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately there are no P3s on location near me

Yeah, the best thing to do would be me to hit up LAX or some other local expo. I don't know anyone near Indy who has one.

#478 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

What about the P3 do you think makes it less likely to be on location? Just that it's something kinda odd and new, or the extra technology might scare operators or...? The price *is* high, but I continue to be surprised by the number of Stern LEs in bars etc., and the P3 isn't much more expensive than those now.

Heist has been their biggest seller to date (so far as I know). There are exactly 4 on location in the USA according to pinside maps.

#479 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Teaser Analysis:
[quoted image]
- Taco Grande
- Tacky
- George Of The Jungle
- UHF
- White + Nerdy
- Word Crimes
- Handy
- Germs
- Like A Surgeon
- Weasel Stomping Day
Later,
EV

The huge LCD can double as Frank's 2,000 inch TV

#480 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I think gammagoat did a layout overlap and most pinballs have a open/bare 2/3's lower pf. It just doesn't look that way until you see it.
I will comment that even with the same pf module, but you switch games, like CCR module/game and you play ranger in the ruins they feel different. Because different shots are important. I get the shots are the same but the game(s) feel different.

#481 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

does it feel too "same-y"?

NOT AT ALL!

Heist plays completely different than Lexy, and they both play completely different than CCR/Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I know people have not adopted the platform or the games in droves, so I'm not surprised Multimorphic doesn't get a lot of credit. But people are really sleeping on their playfield layouts. I'm eager to see Weird Al, because word is the layout is amazing, and I don't doubt it based on what I've seen so far.

I absolutely LOVE Lexy for how diverse the modes are, but it is definitely their weakest layout, and that's the one designed by Nordman. CCR/SA is an absolute flow monster! It's insane how smooth those loop shots are. Really fast and fun.

Heist is packed and a really cool/fun layout too.

Gerry - you're never going to win me over on the separate button for the upper flipper, and new players NEVER use it. Please think about a setting to use the standard flipper button to control the upper flipper like all other games.

That point aside, the depth and variability of all the P3 games is insane.

So, if the games or the platform isn't for you...fine. But don't get caught up in the "empty playfield makes the games the same" narrative. Couldn't be further from the truth.

#483 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Gerry - you're never going to win me over on the separate button for the upper flipper, and new players NEVER use it. Please think about a setting to use the standard flipper button to control the upper flipper like all other games.

sounds like software could solve that, if it were made into an option.

#484 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I will comment that even with the same pf module, but you switch games, like CCR module/game and you play ranger in the ruins they feel different. Because different shots are important. I get the shots are the same but the game(s) feel different.

This is a good point too.

**Short plug for RITR - best mini-game ever!**

CCR and SA are both "full" games on the same playfield, but they play so different because of the assets and the rules. CCR encourages on-the-fly flowing of shots. SA requires you to be a bit more deliberate.

And the whole concept of using the secondary flipper buttons to change your spell (weapon) before you hit certain shots is genius. So hard to do, but such a great concept and so fun to try.

#485 2 years ago

IIRC the p3 can be changed to have lower and upper flippers use the 1 button... I think that has been an option "forever". HOWEVER. While I said that as a new p3 player...once you play a p3 a lot, having them separate is so much better... but I get it!

#486 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah, the best thing to do would be me to hit up LAX or some other local expo. I don't know anyone near Indy who has one.

North End Pub in Lafayette is supposed to be getting a P3 in March/April timeframe. Operator said he plans on ordering the Weird Al module as well!

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

sounds like software could solve that, if it were made into an option.

Yeah, I'm not advocating to take the functionality away. I just think in the spirit of the platform trying to be something for everyone (especially non-pinheads), there should be a setting that allows the flippers to function the way they do in every other pinball machine. The control scheme should never be a barrier to entry.

Quoted from northvibe:

IIRC the p3 can be changed to have lower and upper flippers use the 1 button... I think that has been an option "forever".

If this is true, it wouldn't be the first time something I was hoping for had been there all along. LOL

#488 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

ya! Deff need to play it!

#489 2 years ago
Quoted from Slappywhite2001:

North End Pub in Lafayette is supposed to be getting a P3 in March/April timeframe. Operator said he plans on ordering the Weird Al module as well!

That must be Tommy? Ya he has one on order!

#490 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That must be Tommy? Ya he has one on order!

Yep that's the man! He had some good knowledge and opinions to share on a FB thread the other day regarding P3's and why he is getting one for his location. I will definitely need to make the trek down to see it when it's there.

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

There are a few. He releases some online (like in the case of You’re Pitiful) and does others in concert but won’t publish them.

#492 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is a good point too.
**Short plug for RITR - best mini-game ever!**
CCR and SA are both "full" games on the same playfield, but they play so different because of the assets and the rules. CCR encourages on-the-fly flowing of shots. SA requires you to be a bit more deliberate.
And the whole concept of using the secondary flipper buttons to change your spell (weapon) before you hit certain shots is genius. So hard to do, but such a great concept and so fun to try.

And P3 deserves credit for putting those buttons at the player's fingertips, rather than inconveniently on the lockdown bar.

#493 2 years ago

Dried corn?

I like that eventually even Coolio fessed up that he was being too sensitive and it was an honor to have AL parody one of his songs.

#494 2 years ago

Just a few thoughts:

- There has to be a box or something these modules come in. Make that a really nice case with the backbox artwork for displaying and that's a selling point for me.
- I've seen a couple posts where ppl say P3s weigh "a lot". Does anyone know if they weigh more than a normal machine and how much?
- When the ball isn't in play, if the flippers could "play" accordion (even better, the iron lung in Mr. Frump and the Iron Lung!) that'd be awesome!

#495 2 years ago
Quoted from Slappywhite2001:

Yep that's the man! He had some good knowledge and opinions to share on a FB thread the other day regarding P3's and why he is getting one for his location. I will definitely need to make the trek down to see it when it's there.

I give big props for anyone who routes it! It would be cool to see/hear when he swaps pf's and how often etc.

#496 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

And P3 deserves credit for putting those buttons at the player's fingertips, rather than inconveniently on the lockdown bar.

Paging the Magna-save in BK:SOR...

Quoted from BamBam:

I've seen a couple posts where ppl say P3s weigh "a lot". Does anyone know if they weigh more than a normal machine and how much?

Oh god yes! I usually do the whole kneel down, put your one knee under the game, and lift your heel to prop up the game (to swap/remove legs, put something under the feet, etc).

I just finished powder coating my P3 and dear lord! I thought my calf was going to explode trying to hold the game in this position while I swapped the legs.

The Hobbit and surprisingly Safecracker were the 2 heaviest games I've moved. I think the P3 is about the weight of the 2 of them put together.

#497 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

IIRC the p3 can be changed to have lower and upper flippers use the 1 button... I think that has been an option "forever". HOWEVER. While I said that as a new p3 player...once you play a p3 a lot, having them separate is so much better... but I get it!

Do you have a link to the procedure, this drives me batty. i can get it on the serve but it feels fucked switching back and i never use the top flipper again. I'm not a gamer.

#498 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Quoted from TreyBo69:

They feel good. They work different than typical ones but the power and snappiness feels right.

MultiMorphic started offering a flipper upgrade in Dec 2021. I never played a P3 so I cannot comment further.
https://www.multimorphic.com/news/flipper-upgrade/

#499 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Paging the Magna-save in BK:SOR...

Oh god yes! I usually do the whole kneel down, put your one knee under the game, and lift your heel to prop up the game (to swap/remove legs, put something under the feet, etc).
I just finished powder coating my P3 and dear lord! I thought my calf was going to explode trying to hold the game in this position while I swapped the legs.
The Hobbit and surprisingly Safecracker were the 2 heaviest games I've moved. I think the P3 is about the weight of the 2 of them put together.

The P3 weighs 335 lbs (Source: Multimorphic support site), actually 16 lbs less than The Hobbit, which weighs 351 lbs (Source: JJP games page).

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.50.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.50.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.50.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.50.54 PM (resized).png
#500 2 years ago

The P3 weighs 335 lbs with or without a module installed?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
11,999 (OBO)
11,500 (OBO)
$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Round Rock, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,731 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 55.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-s-next-p3-game-will-be-licensed-danesi-on-music/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.