IMG_1607_(resized).JPG
IMG_1603_(resized).JPG
IMG_1594_(resized).JPG
IMG_1589_(resized).JPG
IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_1576_(resized).JPG
IMG_1569_(resized).JPG
IMG_1568_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So this is virtual pinball at its best?

Perhaps from afar, the P3 could be construed as virtual pinball. I see you're from Colorado and I'm not sure the P3 made it to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown, so maybe you haven't had the pleasure of laying your hands on this platform yet. To put it lightly, virtual pinball doesn't begin to describe the P3 experience. Perhaps a more accurate statement would be physical pinball at its most innovative.

- Dynamically updating LCD playfield
- Modular back 1/3 playfield for easy game swaps and minimal storage requirements
- Modular everything else (side targets, flipper assemblies, slingshots, wireforms, etc)
- Wall and scoop assembly
- Game design and coding that hasn't been seen before (game saves, player profiles, team play, one-handed gameplay, the list goes on and on)

Despite the fact that the LCD senses a physical ball, the physical ball also hits A LOT of physical targets. Just look at Lexi and start counting. It's astounding everything Dennis Nordman fit into that back 1/3 of a playfield, including one of the coolest, 8-ball, physical ball locks I've ever seen with that crashed space ship. Not to mention all the possibilities of the walls and scoops. Not to mention all the side targets/slings/etc hovering over the LCD playfield. I hope I'm not sounding pejorative here (honestly just trying to educate), but there are A LOT of physical targets in Lexi Lightspeed - Escape from Earth.

Speaking from first-hand experience, after playing LL-EE at the 2015 Chicago Expo, I had a hard time playing anything else. Walking around the various halls and exhibits I found myself thinking, "All I wanna do is go back and play the P3." It was fast, fun, deep, and challenging. An absolute blast, not just in comparison to where the project started in 2012 (which is quite the triumph), but in comparison to anything else on the market. This product is no longer just brimming with potential, it is potential realized.

Do yourself a favor and make the P3 a requisite stop-and-play if it appears at a show near you. If you have the time, I'd also suggest starting a conversation with the soft-spoken bald man next to the machine. You'll learn a lot more about what exciting things this platform has accomplished.

Can't wait to see more reveals from TPF! Congrats on moving the industry into the 21st century, Gerry and the Multimorphic crew!

Sincerely,
Ryan Clatyor

2 weeks later
#78 8 years ago

I'm expecting full reports from those fortunate enough to attend TPF.

Wish I could be there,
Ryan

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

5 games for 1 special! Be sure to send in a form (email or postal service) before the end of Sunday, March 20 to take advantage of the offer.

Here's a direct link to the form page:

http://www.multimorphic.com/index.php/p3-pinball-platform/pre-orders#

Already in with mine.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

12 hours until the Multimorphic seminar at the Texas Pinball Festival and the reveal of the new games. Hope we can get some good reports from the show!

Yes, please!

#125 8 years ago

After reading through the TPF responses here, I, too, would like to throw my opinion into the ring. Before I do, I'd just like to preface my opinions by stating my experience and involvement with Multimorphic/P3:

Experience: I've had the pleasure of seeing/playing the P3 at the past 4 Chicago Pinball Expos. Quick impressions:

- 2012: Asteroids in a pinball cab w/o a backbox. Interesting experimental piece, but I didn't think much of it, honestly.
- 2013: Wildly improved with color graphics and a functional/flipping prototype, although there weren't a lot of rules programmed at the time.
- 2014: LOTS of rules. Fast, fun, and truly innovative gameplay experience. The highlight of my '14 Expo experience.
- 2015: I had a hard time not thinking about the P3 as I tried to make myself play other games during the long weekend. All I wanted to do was go back and play Lexy. The game was polished, shot great, understandable, and deep.

Involvement with Multimorphic: I interviewed Gerry Stellenberg for the final issue of the Drop Target Zine. Over the course of the interview, I was impressed with Gerry's intelligence, dogged determination, honesty (completely self-funded and isn't taking pre-order money), and down-to-earth attitude. He subsequently asked me if I would illustrate the official P3 shirt, which you've seen him and the team donning this weekend.

P3shirtMock_(resized).jpgP3shirtMock_(resized).jpg

I say all this to disclose what thin ties I have with the company. Really, not many to speak of. I speak mainly from my four expos of experiencing this platform first-hand, closely following the information released about it in seminars and Multimorphic threads, and several conversations I've had personally with Gerry and his team of developers (the aforementioned interview, and pulling them aside to chat one-on-one each Expo I attend). With this said, I'd like to address a few comments.

Quoted from sd_tom:

Wondering if they did something that DID look like a traditional game, like AFM or something fairly wide open til the back 1/3. With a traditional playfield look.. I.e., mostly static with inserts. And it's just when mode starts that some animations kick off overlayed into the playfield image.

Hi sd_Tom,

I think you're describing Lexy Lightspeed pretty closely here. Ha-ha!

I appreciate you saying...

Quoted from sd_tom:

Will fully admit I haven't seen one in person yet, so maybe I'm missing something.

...so it sounds like you'll be pleasantly surprised when playing Lexy for the first time. To address your comments/suggestions about having mostly static inserts, the "inserts" (or directional instruction or whatever we're calling them on the P3) basically stay in the same place on the LCD, but sort of pulse AND INSTRUCT the player where to shoot and why. The instructions for each directional "insert" can also change dynamically based on what has been achieved. Honestly, they're THE most intuitive pinball instructions I've ever seen, and one of the (many) things that made me really excited about the platform when playing it in 2014.

Quoted from sd_tom:

Like things start crawling out of an insert.

For the right theme, that's a really great idea. I'd just reiterate...

Quoted from solarvalue:

The beauty of this system is that it opens up so many gameplay options.

The screen is HD, so from my understanding *ANYTHING* can be displayed there. ...creepy crawling insert goblins included.

Quoted from TaTa:

I was going to pull the trigger on this. I'm glad I did not.

I'm struggling to understand this assertion, but I'm all ears for an explanation. From what I've heard Gerry mention over the years, the initial price will include 2 games for the P3 platform (Lexy and whatever is next...I think Cosmic Cart Racing). If I'm correct in my thinking, this recent announcement of releasing 5 games upon initial production does not negate the fact that you also get the second game along with that initial purchase price. You simply get 4 additional games (the redemption game and the 3 mini games) with the purchase price. (Gerry, please correct me if I'm wrong in this line of thinking.) So, if you were in for two games for the purchase price of the platform, then I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why one would not be in for more games at the same price of entry.

Just to piggy back on the subject of the 4 additional games that were unveiled this weekend, while they may not be designed for "us", the pinball community, I think the diversity of offerings is incredibly smart.

1) Cannon Lagoon: An approachable redemption-style game with a great hand-drawn art package! (Scott Gullocks, if that's you on art duties, you knocked it out of the park.) That'll go great in family fun centers. There hasn't been a viable pinball redemption model yet. I can't say I'm all that interested in winning tickets by playing pinball (I won all the Chinese Finger Traps I needed as a kid), but A LOT of people are interested in tickets-for-play or else the family fun centers and bowling alleys wouldn't keep filling valuable real estate with redemption units (that are far less interesting than the P3, IMO).

2) Barnyard: A really simple and playful animal "shoot 'em" style game. As a new parent, I can assure you my little guy would go nuts for this. He's at the age where you could even point out the animals and have him name them, then develop hand-eye coordination by helping him time the flip. It's brilliant as a gateway into the hobby for young kids. It's not for us. But it's brilliant. There hasn't been a pinball product on the market in decades (ever?) that's been geared specifically toward a young audience.

3) Lexy Lightspeed Secret Agent Showdown: I don't fully understand this yet, but it looks like it's a practice game. Personally, I would love this option on a game in my home. Inevitably, there's a shot in clutch situations, usually during multiball, that is needed to really reach higher scores in games. And, inevitably, I usually choke on those shots. Ha-ha! How cool would it be to hone your abilities on a particular shot in order to boost your scores during regular gameplay? It's like an exercise routine for pinball-players!

4) Rocs (Thinnly-veiled Asteroids): Who doesn't love Asteroids! If that's you, I'm not sure we can be friends. Plus, combined with pinball? Very cool.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

The infrastructure is solid, if not amazing, but we need the community to rally around this product to make it as great as it can be.

There really hasn't been enough time for second-party developers to create anything yet. However, I've hung around the Multimorphic booth enough to hear about community support in the way of non-Multimorphic development teams cropping up.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

If I'm correct in my thinking, this recent announcement of releasing 5 games upon initial production does not negate the fact that you also get the second game along with that initial purchase price. You simply get 4 additional games (the redemption game and the 3 mini games) with the purchase price. (Gerry, please correct me if I'm wrong in this line of thinking.)

Looks like this was addressed as I wrote my post...

Quoted from boustrophedonic:

According to the first post in this thread, Cosmic Cart is included with purchase but won't necessarily ship at the same time as the machine.

From Gerry's initial post:

This means that our earliest pre-order customers get these 5 games as well as everything they were offered previously, including Cosmic Cart Racing when it ships.

Turns out Gerry already answered my question.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I interpret this as meaning people who order today do not get Cosmic Cart Racing included.

Quoted from Jvspin:

I did not pre-order based on this assumption. If Cosmic Cart racing was included if ordering by today, I would have ordered. Perhaps Gerry can clarify.

My assumption was different;

**REDACTED TO AVOID MISINFORMATION. (My assumption was incorrect.)**

Gerry?

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

At the show Gerry discussed with quite a few people the intent to release a "pinball trainer" app using the Cannon Lagoon playfield, with ball tracking overlays, instant replay, timing coaching for flipping and nudging, practicing post passes and cradle separations, etc.
The upper scoops can return balls at various speeds as well as accepting them so there are a ton of combinations of shots and return feeds, including SDTM.

As "Law" just hinted, we have lots of plans for the CL playfield, including a training application as well as additional themed games. The CL playfield looks very simple, but it's surprisingly versatile.

Wow, how cool! Love these practice applications you're developing!

Also,

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My assumption was different; if you "pre-ordered" (no money required) today (after the March 20, 2016 end-of-TPF deadline), you're back to the 2 game (Lexi and CCR) for one price ($9875) deal.
Gerry?

Regarding pre-orders and CCR. We offered CCR for free as an early incentive for pre-orders, and we had a number of people take advantage of that offer. The current offer does not include CCR. If you signed up for the 5 games for $9875 deal we were offering through TPF, and you follow through with your order when we reach your spot in the production queue, you'll get LL-EE, LL-SAS, CL, ROCs, and Barnyard. Everybody who signed up before we offered the 5 game package deal will get everything they were offered at that time plus the additional 4 games. Anybody who signs up now will get the machine with LL-EE, and of course they'll have the option to purchase the additional games through our app store and online catalog.

Pardon my misinterpretation. I'm redacting my previous post (quoted above) just to avoid confusion/misinformation moving into the future.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Could you please also post a video of a game swap if you have time, thanks.

I'm not sure if there's a video uploaded, but I've seen Gerry swap a playfield module during seminars in about a minute. This includes powering the game off, removing the glass, swapping modules, and putting the glass back on. ...and he was in no hurry. It was a cinch.

During his TPF seminar last year, Gerry demonstrated not just a playfield swap, but disassembling the whole darn machine. It's completely modular. He had the machine in pieces in 10 minutes and he took his sweet time explaining the process as he went. In another few minutes (10-ish) it was back together, he fired up a game, and everything was functional. If he hustled, I'll bet he could have done it in a quarter of the time, easily. It was pretty remarkable. When he talks about modularity in the design of the P3, he's talking about EV-ER-Y-thing. Ha-ha!

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

These game have awesome light shows

...trying to figure out how, exactly, that "Ready, Aim, Fire" text is sitting atop the walls and scoops mech! Very cool!

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The text is printed on the same plastic that's above the rest of the rear portion. That part of the plastic has no other art or fill so you see the floating text above the playfield. It's pretty cool.

Ah-HA! I see it now! Well, man, it looks great. Nice touch. ...and thanks for the explanation, Law!

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Dispense beer tickets

Quoted from Law:

Only tickets? A can dispenser isn't *that* far from a ticket dispenser, right?

Innovation!

#215 8 years ago

Just want to start by saying that sd_tom was kind enough to PM me specifically about our conversation on this thread and while our opinions may not completely align (yet ) he's been courteous enough to discuss differing opinions diplomatically. So, for all that, thanks, sd_tom.

Quoted from sd_tom:

...plus the fact that the module playfield is static and not luminous like the front part of the game. There is a stark transition.

Many folks have already stated things I would have said, but perhaps Stephen, the videographer, said it best:

Quoted from Sjsilver:

I can tell you in person they actually look really great together. It is really hard to capture on video things like backlit screens in a way that accurately reflects how we see them in their environment.

Quoted from Sjsilver:

Now it is true that when you play different modes the art no longer matches, but in my experience, you are wrapped up in the game and never notice it.

I'd whole-heartedly agree with pretty much everything Stephen said. Due to the luminosity difference between the plywood playfield and the LCD screen, the video does not accurately capture what your eye does in reality.

Also, despite a unified art package being ideal, from my experience the immersive and fast nature of the game makes it so that the connection between modular playfield and LCD screen is about the furthest thing on your mind during gameplay. ...and this is coming from a picky artist.

Finally wanted to mention:

Pics from the show:

Wow, those "Big-O" buttons for the Canon Lagoon are great! What a hoot for an all-ages redemption-style game! I hadn't seen those highlighted anywhere else before that post. Thanks for sharing that and all the rest, Gerry!

#223 8 years ago

Agreed. My eyes about bulged out of my head when I heard about this interview, but I had the chance to listen this afternoon in it's entirety and I agree with the rest of the folks encouraging you to listen, Zitt. It's a good, pointed interview and even manages to squeeze some rough timelines out of Gerry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-revealing-four-new-games-at-tpf?tu=ryanclaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.