IMG_1607_(resized).JPG
IMG_1603_(resized).JPG
IMG_1594_(resized).JPG
IMG_1589_(resized).JPG
IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_1576_(resized).JPG
IMG_1569_(resized).JPG
IMG_1568_(resized).JPG

There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

At what point does the physical ball not even matter.. I can't imagine the fun factor of ROCS being that much different if it was just a virtual pin?

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

It's very, very different - the p3 is real pinball!

The difference is apparent the first time you get a ball hop or slide save or a moonwalk to the outlane. Simulations can be pretty good but that randomness and fidelity can't be matched yet, and that's what makes pinball fun! Let alone the tactile, visual, and auditory experience that accompanies real pinball.

#202 8 years ago

Thanks Gerry. I understand production issues, just anxious to see it out and about and see what else people come up with for the platform! Excited to hear that it could be out in that kind of timeframe...wish I could have made it down to Austin for some of the playtests.

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

At what point does the physical ball not even matter.. I can't imagine the fun factor of ROCS being that much different if it was just a virtual pin?

IMO, there's no point where the physical ball does not matter... same with the flippers, walls, slings, etc. The physicality of pinball makes it a completely different experience than a video game. There's a place for video content and virtual interactions in pinball, but it's not at the expense of the physicality. When virtual is used to enhance the physical experience, they can be a perfect match. That's why ROCs is so much fun.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Quoted from gstellenberg:

IMO, there's no point where the physical ball does not matter... same with the flippers, walls, slings, etc. The physicality of pinball makes it a completely different experience than a video game. There's a place for video content and virtual interactions in pinball, but it's not at the expense of the physicality. When virtual is used to enhance the physical experience, they can be a perfect match. That's why ROCs is so much fun.
- Gerry

Gerry has been fighting relentlessly over the years to convey to people that this IS NOT virtual pinball. There is virtually no chance he is going to take this in the direction of a virtual ball in lieu of a physical one. P3 is great BECAUSE it is physical. Before you keep going down this path, you should seek one out and play it. It's awesome, REAL, pinball.

All that said, whoever had the idea of using a virtual ball to simulate a lower playfield had a really cool idea. Hitting a certain scoop at a certain time could send the ball down into the cellar. I could see a Black Hole-esque lower playfield as virtual pinball as long as it was not too prominent in the game. Playing a multiball with physical balls on the "upper" playfield and virtual balls on the "lower" playfield could be pretty dope.

#205 8 years ago

How do the flippers respond to light touches? Can we tap-pass on a P3?

#206 8 years ago

Only if you already have the skill to do it.

#207 8 years ago

That's good then I can do it on my Gladiators quite consistently, but my success rate drops pretty sharply on other machines. I look forward to putting in lots of practice on P3

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballShoppe:

How do the flippers respond to light touches? Can we tap-pass on a P3?

Can you swear at it? I'm really used to doing that on my traditional machines...

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can you swear at it? I'm really used to doing that on my traditional machines...

A useful technique. Right up there with percussive maintenance.

#210 8 years ago

Multimorphic talk from TPF is now up on Pinball News:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2016/multimorphic.mp3

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

It's probably that plus the fact that the module playfield is static and not luminous like the front part of the game. There is a stark transition. I noticed in the video just above that all the renderings of the game have the module playfield matched with the screen playfield , when in reality this is not the case and can't be completely overcome due to the lumosity transition even if you had the exact imagery; it just gets that much worse when they areas don't even look the same in something like LL where there's different modes creating an even larger aesthetic difference between the module and the screen. I.e., there's a lot of disjointness going on.

Hi, I'm Stephen, and I make all the promotional videos for Multimorphic, including the animated modularity video you referenced and the latest announcement video for the 5 launch titles.

Regarding the modules being matched to the playfield screen in the modularity video, it's actually the opposite going on. Since the purpose of that video was to highlight the design possibilities of the platform rather than specific future games, all of the modules shown were whitewoods paired with the launcher screen. No matching was actually going on.

But to address your main point about the play fields seeming so different from the screen, I can tell you in person they actually look really great together. It is really hard to capture on video things like backlit screens in a way that accurately reflects how we see them in their environment. When you expose the camera for the screen, surrounding elements that look fine to your eye can look really dark to the camera's image sensor. We compensate during shoots by pumping in extra light to the back playfield, but really, it always is going to look different in person. The luminosity is indeed different, but your eyes and brain are way better at compensating for that difference than any camera will ever be. The reason those scenes in the modularity video seemed to match better is that they were 100% 3D renders and we didn't have to worry about camera sensors struggling to expose everything properly.

In my opinion, the playfield art and plastics on Lexy look great with the screen in person, and to the player everything fits together well for the main playfield map. In fact, if you watch the skip able intro video all the way through, the camera sweeps back from the crash site and pulls out until the playfield lines up perfectly with the upper playfield when the video ends and the game starts. It's really is a nice effect. Now it is true that when you play different modes the art no longer matches, but in my experience, you are wrapped up in the game and never notice it. Ymmv, but I have never heard anyone complaining about that disconnect, because quite frankly, how cool is it that we actually can change the whole freakin playfield to match the mode-specific gameplay stories? It is way more cool than just having mode changes reflected in flashing lights and music changes.

The biggest disconnect happens when you are playing different game software that doesn't match the playfield theme, but again, it really isn't that big of a deal because you are almost always looking at the information on the big screen.

So in short, try to seek it out at a show near you and try it in person. I think you'll like it.

#214 8 years ago

Pics from the show:

IMG_1557_(resized).JPGIMG_1557_(resized).JPG

IMG_1558_(resized).JPGIMG_1558_(resized).JPG

IMG_1560_(resized).JPGIMG_1560_(resized).JPG

IMG_1561_(resized).JPGIMG_1561_(resized).JPG

IMG_1565_(resized).JPGIMG_1565_(resized).JPG

IMG_1568_(resized).JPGIMG_1568_(resized).JPG

IMG_1569_(resized).JPGIMG_1569_(resized).JPG

IMG_1576_(resized).JPGIMG_1576_(resized).JPG

IMG_1581_(resized).JPGIMG_1581_(resized).JPG

IMG_1589_(resized).JPGIMG_1589_(resized).JPG

IMG_1594_(resized).JPGIMG_1594_(resized).JPG

IMG_1603_(resized).JPGIMG_1603_(resized).JPG

IMG_1607_(resized).JPGIMG_1607_(resized).JPG

IMG_1608_(resized).JPGIMG_1608_(resized).JPG

IMG_1611_(resized).JPGIMG_1611_(resized).JPG

IMG_1614_(resized).JPGIMG_1614_(resized).JPG

IMG_1615_(resized).JPGIMG_1615_(resized).JPG

IMG_1621_(resized).JPGIMG_1621_(resized).JPG

IMG_1622_(resized).JPGIMG_1622_(resized).JPG

IMG_1623_(resized).JPGIMG_1623_(resized).JPG

IMG_1626_(resized).JPGIMG_1626_(resized).JPG

#215 8 years ago

Just want to start by saying that sd_tom was kind enough to PM me specifically about our conversation on this thread and while our opinions may not completely align (yet ) he's been courteous enough to discuss differing opinions diplomatically. So, for all that, thanks, sd_tom.

Quoted from sd_tom:

...plus the fact that the module playfield is static and not luminous like the front part of the game. There is a stark transition.

Many folks have already stated things I would have said, but perhaps Stephen, the videographer, said it best:

Quoted from Sjsilver:

I can tell you in person they actually look really great together. It is really hard to capture on video things like backlit screens in a way that accurately reflects how we see them in their environment.

Quoted from Sjsilver:

Now it is true that when you play different modes the art no longer matches, but in my experience, you are wrapped up in the game and never notice it.

I'd whole-heartedly agree with pretty much everything Stephen said. Due to the luminosity difference between the plywood playfield and the LCD screen, the video does not accurately capture what your eye does in reality.

Also, despite a unified art package being ideal, from my experience the immersive and fast nature of the game makes it so that the connection between modular playfield and LCD screen is about the furthest thing on your mind during gameplay. ...and this is coming from a picky artist.

Finally wanted to mention:

Quoted from gstellenberg:

Pics from the show:

Wow, those "Big-O" buttons for the Canon Lagoon are great! What a hoot for an all-ages redemption-style game! I hadn't seen those highlighted anywhere else before that post. Thanks for sharing that and all the rest, Gerry!

#216 8 years ago

P3 looks so friggin' good, I get more and more excited to play it every time I see and hear about it.

Huge props to Gerry for everything he's done with this.

#217 8 years ago

Great interview with Gerry from Multimorphic on the latest episode of Kaneda's podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-25-interview-with-gerry-of-multimorphic

#218 8 years ago

Sorry - I'll have to sit that Podcast out... given the "podcaster".

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Only punishing yourself. The interview with Gerry was pretty good.

I really do think the P3 has some neat stuff and hope Gerry succeeds with it.

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Only punishing yourself.

let's leave the drama to the "podcast" threads

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

In the interview with Gerry, he asks good, smart questions. After the initial light stuff the questions are somewhat pointed and aren't superficial. It's clear that he's thought about this and wants to know specific things about the process and the business beyond just the superficial facts about the P3 that you could get from just reading this or other threads. He's also totally respectful the entire time. It's a really good listen.

Do yourself a favor and let go of your personal feelings on the interviewer and give this episode a chance.

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

In the interview with Gerry, he asks good, smart questions. After the initial light stuff the questions are somewhat pointed and aren't superficial. It's clear that he's thought about this and wants to know specific things about the process and the business beyond just the superficial facts about the P3 that you could get from just reading this or other threads. He's also totally respectful the entire time. It's a really good listen.
Do yourself a favor and let go of your personal feelings on the interviewer and give this episode a chance.

^^^I totally agree with this^^^

I thought Kaneda was a boob from the Pinside experience and I was reluctant to listen to his podcasts. Then I thought, what the hell and I'd listen for a laugh... Well, I didn't laugh and instead was drawn in.

You'd think it was two different people we're talking about.

#223 8 years ago

Agreed. My eyes about bulged out of my head when I heard about this interview, but I had the chance to listen this afternoon in it's entirety and I agree with the rest of the folks encouraging you to listen, Zitt. It's a good, pointed interview and even manages to squeeze some rough timelines out of Gerry.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I thought Kaneda was a boob

#225 8 years ago

Games making an appearance at Rocky Mountain Pinball Fest

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-rocky-mtn-pinball-showdown-june-10-12

2 weeks later
#226 7 years ago

This is by far the most exciting thing going on in pinball today.

I just have to figure out how to come up with the $10k. There is no other machine I want as much as this one.

#227 7 years ago

Sticky... if you win the lotto... keep me in mind.

#228 7 years ago

My strategy is to buy a little bit of Bitcoin and Ether, and hope that it explodes in value in time.

#229 7 years ago

Yeah, sorry guys. NIB pinball machines are expensive, especially those with the engineering and features that are in the P3 - wish I could argue otherwise or change that. What I can do is offer the best price per game value in the industry and one that will continue to improve as you add games to your library. In a couple of years when you have the option to buy any of 10 or 20 games for your P3, I expect you'll wonder how the industry survived so long selling single-themed machines for NIB prices.

We sincerely appreciate all of your support, and we're incredibly thankful to those of you who have committed to our vision and are joining us on this journey.

- Gerry

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 20.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-revealing-four-new-games-at-tpf/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.