IMG_1607_(resized).JPG
IMG_1603_(resized).JPG
IMG_1594_(resized).JPG
IMG_1589_(resized).JPG
IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_1576_(resized).JPG
IMG_1569_(resized).JPG
IMG_1568_(resized).JPG
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Also what do the extra flipper buttons do ?

Dispense beer tickets

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...trying to figure out how, exactly, that "Ready, Aim, Fire" text is sitting atop the walls and scoops mech! Very cool!

The text is printed on the same plastic that's above the rest of the rear portion. That part of the plastic has no other art or fill so you see the floating text above the playfield, you can see it from the side in the post #103 screencaps. I think it looks great in person.

#153 8 years ago

I can attest to the fun of Canon Lagoon. Although it looks really simple, and it is, it is also extremely entertaining. Much like the simple smartphone games that everybody plays ad infinum. Gerry is right, facial expressions and body language don't lie. Everyone I saw, adults included, were having a blast playing Canon Lagoon. All you pinsiders with small children or grandchildren could benefit from having one of these. How many stories have we all read on here about kids coming over to y'alls houses and after one plunged ball losing interest in your pinball machines? You have one of these set up and that would disappear. One thing that really stood out to me was how much CL looked like it came straight out of a Dave and Busters. Take that for better or for worse. Remember that "What would it take to get pinball back in D&B" thread? This is your answer. The good thing about this machine though is: once the kids are done with it it's back to LL:EE, CCR, or whatever infinite amount of games are on the horizon; or, just maybe, those kids may eventually want to play a grown up game like you. This could potentially expose and inspire a whole new generation and demographic to pinball. The amount of work this man has put into his product is nothing short of astounding. I applaud you sir and wish you continued success. I can't wait to see what's next from P3.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The text is printed on the same plastic that's above the rest of the rear portion. That part of the plastic has no other art or fill so you see the floating text above the playfield. It's pretty cool.

Ah-HA! I see it now! Well, man, it looks great. Nice touch. ...and thanks for the explanation, Law!

#155 8 years ago

I have 3 boys - ages 11, 9 and 4. I've been trying to get my kids interested in pinball for years - esp. LL-EE as I have pre-ordered. They haven't showed much interest until I showed them the 5-in-1 video with Cannon Lagoon. Now they're hassling me to find out when it will arrive. I'm not a huge fan of redemption games in general but it's definitely hit the mark in my household.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Dispense beer tickets

I think you've just found another use for Canon Lagoon

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Dispense beer tickets

Only tickets? A can dispenser isn't *that* far from a ticket dispenser, right?

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Adult mode wasn't on yet

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Dispense beer tickets

Quoted from Law:

Innovation!

#160 8 years ago

Why all the static about a "redemption" game anyway? You are still playing a game at home...do you disable the "Special" that awards credits on your other machines because you don't need credits? You don't have to open a ticket redemption area in your home and fill it with chinese toys...what am I missing?

#161 8 years ago

Found this on Pinball News, showing a walk-by of the Multimorphic booth:

Rory

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from RCernuda:

Found this on Pinball News, showing a walk-by of the Multimorphic booth

Cannon Lagoon looks really bright and modern in that video, much better than the pics above.

#163 8 years ago

I'm sure I saw one or two people with video cameras at Gerry's reveal. They did the PF swap in litterly 2minutes. three connectors at the back of the module... and a couple of levers in the front and it pulled right out. That 2 minutes included the lockdown bar and PF glass. Flipper swap out too like 30seconds... one connector and one "door".

Flipper buttons are listed in the intro movies for the games. I don't specifically remember but one is the standard flipper and the other is a lane change button. I think the third button is only used for single handed accessibility mode.

Their production prototype in the booth had some big bug eye buttons installed it instead of the traditional buttons. Looked prefect for some oddball or child's game.

#164 8 years ago

Some footage of Lexy found on Youtube -

#t=07m35s

#165 8 years ago

Some of this I posted in another thread but it seems appropriate here.
I had the chance to hear the Multimorphic presentation at TPF and then play some games on Lexy, as a result I am very impressed. The tech and features are outstanding and I thought that Lexy game play was very good, the interactive playfield was certainly unique. I will be watching to see where they go with bumpers or other mechanical devices over the LCD portion of the playfield (that was where it misses the mark for me).
I see real promise in the redemption arena with Cannon Lagoon, it think that was a smart direction and a better target audience. I think quick, easy service/repair via the modular design could bring pinball back into places like D&Bs.
As far as making a purchase, the price point is a bit high but not a deal breaker, tech is cool and currently the game play is good but in the end the video game aspect left me missing the traditional playfield experience. I wish the team the best and will follow along with the progress but at this point I don't see one in my game room.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Much like a console system like Xbox etc., i would be much more comfortable buying the P3 if there is a show of support from 3rd party developers that have games ready to go or at least in late stages of development. The infrastructure is solid, if not amazing, but we need the community to rally around this product to make it as great as it can be.

There is a little bit of a chicken and the egg thing here. Developers need to know there is enough of a market and marketplace (e.g. enough machines sold, and an effective way to sell them) to justify the effort to create a game where they are comfortable they can get a return on the effort. As your comments indicate, the sales of machines is impacted by the number of games available.

If you look at iPhone as an example, there were really very few apps in the store when it launched (the company I was with at the time was one of them), but it did not take long after that for there to be a ton. The tools for creating those apps also improved, etc.

I know there are developers working on some games, but I think once units start to ship and Gerry has more info on the catalog/store process, etc. You will see and hear more about what is being worked on and the pace of development of those games will increase.

#167 8 years ago

In response to the desire for third party games, some developers who were interested in being third party developers have become first-party developers instead. That was my experience, anyway; after attending Expo to show off Buffy in October and getting the chance to play a lot more P3, a week or so later I made the decision to join the Multimorphic team to help move the P3 forward.

I am one of the anonymous developers proud to be working for Multimorphic on Cannon Lagoon (among other games/projects). "In-house" game development is awesome from an organizational and structural perspective. Lots of groups working on things in parallel and a lot getting done very quickly. The software framework is stellar.

While Cannon Lagoon was already in active design and development when I joined the team, the CL game people played at TPF was created by a team that has only existed for at most six months, with members doing exclusively after hours/part-time work. That's a very fast turn around time for anything, let alone pinball. It's only possible because we didn't have to invent a new cabinet, power distribution system, driver boards, control system, or programming framework. We just did the fun stuff. I think anyone out there who is making a game from scratch that they intend to sell commercially is doing themselves a disservice to not consider targeting the P3 platform. It rocks.

#168 8 years ago

Michael's right. Potential 3rd party developers often turn into 1st party developers. Until we have more machines available for developing these games, having developers as part of the team is a bit easier to manage than external developers. That said, the dev kit includes a simulator that allows people to develop the majority of their games without the actual machine.

Quoted from rosh:

There is a little bit of a chicken and the egg thing here. Developers need to know there is enough of a market and marketplace (e.g. enough machines sold, and an effective way to sell them) to justify the effort to create a game where they are comfortable they can get a return on the effort.

To some extent I agree, but the catch-22 here pales in comparison to the catch-22 associated with investors and our business or customers and our business. In those cases, investors/customers want to see a a finished product and momentum before investing/buying, whereas we've wanted investors and customers to commit to help us get that momentum and finish the product. Regardless, we're pushing through and making it happen, and we appreciate the support and interest many of you are providing.

3rd party developers are not necessary to make the P3 a success. The P3 already represents more value per dollar than any other pinball machine out there, and that value will continue to increase as we (Multimorphic) continue to develop games. When we're shipping machines in a few months, we'll have 5 (probably more) games that'll run in the P3, at least two of which have physical playfield modules. As we continue to develop games and sell playfield modules for prices under $3k (estimated high side), the value proposition of the P3 will continue to set itself apart from everybody else. Customers are starting to line up to buy the P3, and that momentum will only increase as time goes by.

The arrival of 3rd party games will present a win-win-win situation. Customers will have more game options for their P3s, 3rd party developers will make money selling games (and won't have to worry about convincing people to spend big bucks and allocate floor space), and the P3 will be an even more attractive product. Here's the thing about early 3rd party developers... as Josh said, look at the app market for Android/iPhone or the game market for Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft. The larger the catalog of games, the more competition there is among 3rd party developers. This will happen eventually with the P3 as well. The short term, however, is the best time for a 3rd party developer to jump into the fray. Why? Because it wouldn't surprise me if most P3 customers buy every new game that becomes available in the short term. Longer term, people will probably be more selective.

As I said in my TPF seminar... we've spent the time/money developing the technology, filing for patents, and developing a following for the machine. Nobody needs to think of us as a competitor; we are potential partners. The P3 is an open platform. Anybody, even other MFGs, can leverage our technology and take advantage of all of our efforts by building games for the P3. Imagine all of your favorite designers building and selling games for the P3. Win-win-win. Everybody's happy. Imagine new designers with new gameplay ideas building and selling games for the P3. Again, win-win-win. If that never happens for whatever reason, we (Multimorphic) will still be here developing games for the system and making sure it delivers what we think are the best games and what will inarguably be the best value in the industry.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

The short term, however, is the best time for a 3rd party developer to jump into the fray. Why? Because it wouldn't surprise me if most P3 customers buy every new game that becomes available in the short term. Longer term, people will probably be more selective.

This is totally true. At $2k-ish, I'd buy just about any new P3 game unless I knew it sucked. The value proposition for even a decent game is there initially. However, if there are 10 games coming out a year from different people, I'm not gonna drop $20k on stuff I can't confirm I'd like. I can only hope it gets to the point we can pick and choose at this level.

#170 8 years ago

By far LL-EE was the best thing at Expo this past year! Loved it

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

By far LL-EE was the best thing at Expo this past year! Loved it

No doubt about this. The panel was incredible. Outside of how many incredibly innovative and useful features P3 is bringing to the table, the game design, art direction, sound design, and many other aspects of Lexy Lightspeed are terrific.

#172 8 years ago

Here's some video footage of Cannon Lagoon from TPF. Huge thanks to everybody who helped develop it:

Thomas Law (project management, software dev, graphics, sound, etc)
Michael Ocean (software dev)
Jeremy Wilson (Art and presentation direction)
Chris Ancarrow (Illustrations - Cabinet / translite / apron / plastics)
Cameron Petri (Illustrations - Upper LCD content)
Rory Cernuda (Game artist / Main LCD content)
TJ Weaver (Mechanicals & Prototype assembly)
Trey Jones (Prototype parts fabrication)
Les Pitt (Prototype assembly)
Scott Gullicks (Playfield concepts)

The game isn't complete, but it's mature enough to capture our vision and desired gameplay style. More content and gameplay features are planned, but we don't intend to add so much that we lose the accessibility and fun-factor.

As Michael indicated, dev time was under 6 months, with no full-time resources. Talented folks can create amazing games for the P3 in very short time.

Gameplay video from TPF:

- Gerry

#173 8 years ago

How cool would it be if the Zen Studio team got together to produce something for P3. Not so much an interactive "real" world like LL, but recreating a fictional pinball playfield with all sorts of cool special effects like on a Zen playfield. Instead of a virtual ball, it would be the real ball. Would be a match made in heaven.

#174 8 years ago

Several people have mentioned that they would like to see Pops "floated" over the playfield. Gerry communicated that this is not only possible - but they have done it. Never fear - I suspect we have only begun to see the possibilities of the platform.

In any case, this platform truly offers unlimited potential - and I agree the value of the platform is unsurpassed.

Looking forward to it's release!

#175 8 years ago

I've always loved P3 and always said it's the next step for pinball. only pinball out there with real new innovation. But i'm unsure about having the redemption game as the second kit a good idea. I was really hoping for another game like the Cart racing and lexy to sell the system. Get enough cabs out in the wild, with 2 very full games. The more base systems out, the more potential for the expansion modules. Not sure about the redemption yet, but I have to play it in person to really know. I think what a lot of people playing it enjoy, is the fact that you can figure out what to do. It's not a complex cluster fawk of ???? like hobbit. As much as complex rules are great for a home environment. You still have to have some easily laid out objectives that you don't have to sit and analyze to figure out. The redemption looks pretty clear cut and easy to understand. Which is great for a demo introduction into the platform. Still love the work your doing. Fantastic work.

#176 8 years ago

Thanks very much for the video, this game looks really fun. It was obvious from the video that beginners could instantly understand what they had to do, achieve some simple goals and have fun with this game.

On another note, how reliable are the latest prototypes? I haven't heard any reports of any problems during the show, were there any issues?

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

How cool would it be if the Zen Studio team got together to produce something for P3. Not so much an interactive "real" world like LL, but recreating a fictional pinball playfield with all sorts of cool special effects like on a Zen playfield. Instead of a virtual ball, it would be the real ball. Would be a match made in heaven.

Agree completely.. A Zen pinball type situation with a static pinball playfield displayed but with flourishes and animations would be a great example of the platform that still looks like pinball first and foremost. LL to me with its zooming and videogame like levels isn't as relateable to me personally I guess.

#178 8 years ago

Someone should port virtual pinmame to the P3 platform. Physical meets virtual.
Much better than those other platforms which try to simulate a physical machine with lcd monitors.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Someone should port virtual pinmame to the P3 platform. Physical meets virtual.
Much better than those other platforms which try to simulate a physical machine with lcd monitors.

It would probably end up being less work to recreate the classic games in new code for the platform specifically. We found that the majority of the work we had to do to make a game "feel" right when being controlled with PinMame was adapting the interfaces to the new hardware, tweaking timing, etc. With the new code, you are not far from the enhanced version of the classic game that really shows off the platform's capabilities.

Imagine taking a classic game like Elektra and using the lower video screen playfield to descend into a video focused lower playfield that could change throughout the game. You still have an upper playfield module that gives people the ramps and such. So you could rewrite the rules for Elektra in a long weekend and then continue on from there to extend the game in cool new ways. The LCD screen has got to be used as a rich, dynamic canvas for artwork if it is really going to impress. Every mode, stage, heck, even player, should influence the canvas to really set it apart from traditional pinball art and design. Real-time, high definition content is baseline expectation in an arcade game these days. The challenge for making cool games for the P3 won't be the upper playfields, that's easy, it will be the creation of the rich display content that takes the player to a unique and different pinball game experience. Ask any video game designer how much content is required to make a game that really wows the user. The P3 has the challenge of the biggest dynamic canvas in pinball. No small feat, but definitely a unique way to differentiate from all the other pinball games being developed nowadays!

I hope that the P3 makes it to the NW Pinball Show in June. My kids have yet to see it in real life. They are big pinball fans and also enjoy video games a whole lot. I am interested to see what they think. To kids with less preconceived ideas of what pinball MUST be, it will be all about "is it fun?" or "do I want to play it again?" The engineering feat alone is impressive to me, but I think that kind of stuff is cool anyway!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

The challenge for making cool games for the P3 won't be the upper playfields, that's easy,

Says no pinball manufacturer ever. This is the part I understand the least about 'third party'. The upper playfields require all the disciplines that a normal playfield needs (mechanical, electrical, fabrication, test, supply chain, assembly lines, etc..) Just 1/3 of normal. Who other than P3 is going to really make upper playfields as a commercial endeavor?

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Says no pinball manufacturer ever. This is the part I understand the least about 'third party'. The upper playfields require all the disciplines that a normal playfield needs (mechanical, electrical, fabrication, test, supply chain, assembly lines, etc..) Just 1/3 of normal. Who other than P3 is going to really make upper playfields as a commercial endeavor?

Sorry, easy wasn't the right word. I mean confined/defined. I should say that of everything in a P3 game I feel that is, for me personally, the easiest part to conceive and design. You know the space you have to work in and what you have available to you for inputs and outputs, etc.

But I do agree with you with regard to getting the upper playfield manufactured professionally. Many people could probably design it using templates and a library of readily available parts as a starting point. But a central source for the manufacturing of the upper playfields would ensure that they were done well. The last thing you would want is your beautifully produced game content to be brought down by the mechanical portion being subpar.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

The LCD screen has got to be used as a rich, dynamic canvas for artwork if it is really going to impress. Every mode, stage, heck, even player, should influence the canvas to really set it apart from traditional pinball art and design. Real-time, high definition content is baseline expectation in an arcade game these days.

This is a fascinating topic to me, especially since the traditionalists want as little dynamic content on the playfield as possible and others want photo-realistic, high quality, HD content. Those who say the P3 *must* deliver <enter specific features here> to succeed are likely speaking from their own desires rather than the pulse of the community. I have yet to discern a concensus from the community, and I've been listening to community feedback about the capabilities of the P3 for a couple of years now.

It's impossible to please everybody with each game. Trying to do so would be a mistake. One of our goals is to deliver enough gameplay and content diversity to give everybody something they'll love (and hopefully a lot of things they'll love). A growing game library (homegrown or with 3rd party help) will ensure that to be true. More important than the graphical content discussion, however, is a focus on "fun". Beautifully rendered graphics won't make a boring game fun. Poorly rendered graphics won't make a fun game boring. Multimorphic's primary focus is delivering fun games. LL-EE, CL, and ROCs succeed in that regard. As the P3 grows a larger customer base and game development budgets grow, we can and will develop games with more photo-realism, higher poly counts, and better motion rendering. Trying to support multi-million dollar budgets to deliver that kind of content in our first couple of games would be instant corporate death. If anybody has contacts with the means to support such large development budgets, I'd be happy to chat with them.

As for pinball simulations running on the P3 or (better, IMO) working in conjunction with physical features as Aaron described, we'll leave that to third parties in the short term. I'd love to see those ideas get implemented, but Multimorphic's focus is to create new games, some with a traditional look/feel and others with new gameplay features and styles.

Relative to the logistics of developing and manufacturing upper playfield modules, 3rd parties don't need to figure this out and manage it themselves. We have (and are continuing to develop) relationships will all of the companies it takes to fabricate and manufacture our own upper playfield modules, and we'll be glad to help 3rd party playfield developers leverage our experience and connections. Same goes for development resources (people and tools). 3rd party developers will have access to everything they need to be successful. The more we make available to help them, the more successful all of us will be.

- Gerry

#183 8 years ago

This is a fascinating topic to me, especially since the traditionalists want as little dynamic content on the playfield as possible and others want photo-realistic, high quality, HD content. Those who say the P3 *must* deliver <enter specific features here> to succeed are likely speaking from their own desires rather than the pulse of the community. I have yet to surmise a concensus from the community, and I've been listening to community feedback about the capabilities of the P3 for a couple of years now.
It's impossible to please everybody with each game. Trying to do so would be a mistake. One of our goals is to deliver enough gameplay and content diversity to give everybody something they'll love (and hopefully a lot of things they'll love). ....

I'm probably in the "traditionalist" category but I also LIKE the dynamic content and do think it is an important part of the concept. That being said after playing a couple games I did feel like there was a "gap" between the flippers and the upper playfield. The dynamic content allows for scoring opportunities but it doesn't interact with the ball if that makes sense. Breaking the crates was cool the first time I did it but it didn't stick with me. These are not criticisms just my observations. I was impressed with the presentation and the things I read here, I do think you are on the right track. I think you will sell games, right now it isn't the right game for me but never say never.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I did feel like there was a "gap" between the flippers and the upper playfield. The dynamic content allows for scoring opportunities but it doesn't interact with the ball if that makes sense. Breaking the crates was cool the first time I did it but it didn't stick with me. These are not criticisms just my observations. I was impressed with the presentation and the things I read here, I do think you are on the right track. I think you will sell games, right now it isn't the right game for me but never say never.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious - do you feel there's a similar "gap" between the flippers and physical shots on the majority of games with relatively open playfields (including many of the new games being released)? I'm wondering how much of this is perception from the way the LCD and wall/scoop modules appear versus a true difference between LL-EE's layout and other games. The ball doesn't react with artwork or inserts on other playfields either, but you aren't presented with the notion that it should. How did you feel about the ball rolling around the main mode in LL-EE (the map mode), where there's essentially no dynamic content and no virtual targets?

- Gerry

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I'm probably in the "traditionalist" category but I also LIKE the dynamic content and do think it is an important part of the concept. That being said after playing a couple games I did feel like there was a "gap" between the flippers and the upper playfield. The dynamic content allows for scoring opportunities but it doesn't interact with the ball if that makes sense. Breaking the crates was cool the first time I did it but it didn't stick with me. These are not criticisms just my observations. I was impressed with the presentation and the things I read here, I do think you are on the right track. I think you will sell games, right now it isn't the right game for me but never say never.

still has more going on and more on the playfield than AFM.

#186 8 years ago

It was nice to see and spend some time with Jonathan and Tim at TPF.

(Turn volume up when watching - the volume level is low on the video)

- Gerry

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

still has more going on and more on the playfield than AFM.

and basically every "fan" layout game

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

and basically every "fan" layout game

... and most non-fan layout games too.

The perception is still that it's more open than most games, regardless of reality. Dennis Nordman and I have told the story of how we debunked his similar perception by overlaying a bunch of his previous game design drawings over the playfield layout of the P3. Most physical features in all games start at the position of the wall/scoops on the P3. Even the monkey ramp and chest in PoTC are farther up the playfield than people realize. Perception is different though, I think because of the straight edges of the playfield LCD and wall/scoop modules.

All of this becomes entirely moot when games start coming out with floating features lower on the LCD, but it's still interesting and important to understand the source of the perception.

- Gerry

#189 8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious - do you feel there's a similar "gap" between the flippers and physical shots on the majority of games with relatively open playfields (including many of the new games being released)? I'm wondering how much of this is perception from the way the LCD and wall/scoop modules appear versus a true difference between LL-EE's layout and other games. The ball doesn't react with artwork or inserts on other playfields either, but you aren't presented with the notion that it should. How did you feel about the ball rolling around the main mode in LL-EE (the map mode), where there's essentially no dynamic content and no virtual targets?
- Gerry

Hmmm you bring up an interesting point, is it real or simply a perception based on visuals. I really had to go back and think about what I felt while playing. I do think the position of the wall modules may make the area seem longer than it really is. I think that visually the eye is drawn to the LCD and with the rather pastel image colors it exaggerates the distances, a bolder or more dimensional image might "shorten" the gap because most other machines the space seems more proportional (other than AFM which does feel barren).
The more I consider it I think the relatively "flat" image with the "abrupt" vertical elements of the back playfield are causing the illusion I experienced. I compared images with P3 and std pins and it really depends on what is on the display.

Side bar, one thing that my wife mentioned and caught my eye during the presentation was the ball trail, she didn't like it but I found while playing I didn't really notice it as much. Is that something that a user could turnoff?

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

Side bar, one thing that my wife mentioned and caught my eye during the presentation was the ball trail, she didn't like it but I found while playing I didn't really notice it as much. Is that something that a user could turnoff?

Yes, there's an operator setting for that. Like most things, some love it, some hate it. It's turned on at shows to make it clear that the machine is tracking the ball.

- Gerry

#191 8 years ago

This is a fascinating topic to me, especially since the traditionalists want as little dynamic content on the playfield as possible and others want photo-realistic, high quality, HD content. Those who say the P3 *must* deliver to succeed are likely speaking from their own desires rather than the pulse of the community. I have yet discern a concensus from the community, and I've been listening to community feedback about the capabilities of the P3 for a couple of years now.

For sure, it will never be what everyone wants in a single game. I only focused in on the rich content as a *must* have because it would show off one of the platforms greatest assets. But you are totally right, it is all about the games being fun.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#192 8 years ago

Sorry guys, I just can't read through all of this....I've been off the boards and trying to catch up but....yeah being gone for a week is killer. Is there any kind of realisitic timeframe for release of the P3? We keep seeing more and more and more added to it, but when will the thing be an actual, viable product for us to purchase? This was the third TPF appearance, and AFAIK I still haven't seen anything on any kind of concrete timetable for release..

#193 8 years ago

When we're shipping machines in a few months

#194 8 years ago

Instead of giving (guessing at) a specific date, I'm trying to keep everybody in the loop as much as possible. We're in pre-production now. That means the design is effectively complete, and we're in the process of verifying first-articles from our fabrication partners. As parts for each sub-assembly are verified, we're building sample sub-assemblies and will put together entire sample machines when everything checks out. Then we'll use those sample machines to teach our contract manufacturing partner how to build and test machines before having them do so for production.

If the process goes smoothly, we could be shipping games in just a couple of months. If the process has any hiccups, it'll take a bit more time. Either way, we're nearing the finish line and will soon be contacting customers at the front of the order list.

- Gerry

#195 8 years ago

I gotz first dibs yo!
Ok... maybe not first dibs.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I did feel like there was a "gap" between the flippers and the upper playfield

Is this what people are referring to when asking for parts of the upper pf to be extended onto the lower? That would certainly help bridge the disconnect between the upper pf and the screen.

I have no idea about the engineering involved, but why couldn't ramps extend down onto the screen from the upper PF? Or spinners, or divertors, or standup targets, or toys? Toys could cover some of the pop up scoops, so you're shooting into a mouth (like kiss) or a trunk instead of a blank plastic scoop.

#197 8 years ago

Here's the ROCs gameplay at TPF as well

#198 8 years ago

If the process has any hiccups, it'll take a bit more time

there are always hiccups

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Is this what people are referring to when asking for parts of the upper pf to be extended onto the lower? That would certainly help bridge the disconnect between the upper pf and the screen.
I have no idea about the engineering involved, but why couldn't ramps extend down onto the screen from the upper PF? Or spinners, or divertors, or standup targets, or toys? Toys could cover some of the pop up scoops, so you're shooting into a mouth (like kiss) or a trunk instead of a blank plastic scoop.

This can be done:

#200 8 years ago

Perception is different though, I think because of the straight edges of the playfield LCD and wall/scoop modules.

It's probably that plus the fact that the module playfield is static and not luminous like the front part of the game. There is a stark transition. I noticed in the video just above that all the renderings of the game have the module playfield matched with the screen playfield , when in reality this is not the case and can't be completely overcome due to the lumosity transition even if you had the exact imagery; it just gets that much worse when they areas don't even look the same in something like LL where there's different modes creating an even larger aesthetic difference between the module and the screen. I.e., there's a lot of disjointness going on.

I think maybe this is why a Zen pinball style approach might work for some people better.. While you can't fix the luminosity transition, having a static playfield matched between the screen and the module at all times, but then use the ball trails and side effect animations to bring life to the display might be a good approach for a future module.

This is also why maybe I personally like ROCs more as without the playfield module it is more visually appealing. However, picking at that for a moment. At what point does the physical ball not even matter.. I can't imagine the fun factor of ROCS being that much different if it was just a virtual pin?

Anyway, my "not an art director" opinion. And someone who hasn't played one.. So maybe you have to take these comments with extra large grains of salt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 20.00
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-revealing-four-new-games-at-tpf/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.