(Topic ID: 100242)

Multimorphic public update (August 2014)

By Zitt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Cheeks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LL-GG_upper_pf_3.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_4.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_2.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_1.JPG
LL-GG_mini-lcd.png
LL-GG_proto_pfs.jpg
P3_parts_fab_2.jpg
P3_parts_fab_1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I do not represent Multimorphic in any way... just passing along this public update; unedited. It's not easy to transfer the pictures to Pinside from email.

As I mentioned in the last public update, we've slowed down the release of public information about Multimorphic and the P3, but I can assure you that doesn't mean we've slowed down development or have altered both our short and long term goals. With all of the new companies promising to build new pinball machines, and because of the surprising lack of innovation being offered by any of them, we made the conscious choice to be more protective of our ideas and to develop our features and technologies more or less behind the curtains. This is something we've unfortunately had to learn the hard way.

In 2009, we introduced the P-ROC. It was the first (and it's still the only) generally available and fully supported pinball control system, and it showed people that you didn't have to be an electronics expert to build a pinball machine. We took care of the hard part and let others implement the fun part. In 2010, we were contacted by an entity wanting to build a new machine around the P-ROC, and we've had dozens of similar discussions in the subsequent 4 years. Many are using the P-ROC, some have chosen to develop their own systems, and unfortunately multiple others have abused our generosity and willingness to help by copying the P-ROC.

Since 2009, motivated by the desire to bring new technology to the industry and to help the industry grow, we've continued developing new products and implementing new ideas. Our modular driver board system (PDBs) and our next-generation controller (P3-ROC) are also available for purchase by both individuals and pinball MFGs, and in 2012, we developed and let people play the first P3 prototype. With the P3, we announced our desire to introduce new gameplay features, while solving the floorspace and cost-per-game issues presented by traditional machines. For the P3, we've designed additional our control system products, including new opto boards, RGB LED boards, AC-to-DC boards, etc, and all of these boards will be available for public purchase.

I can confidently say that our control system is by far the most advanced and extensible control system in the industry, and the P3 exemplifies many of the advantages afforded by it.

In the last update I discussed our goal to bring multiple P3 machines to Expo with a nearly complete first game (Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl), and I'm happy to report that we're still on track to meet that goal. The playfield is feature complete (hardware and mechs). The software is about 70% complete (7 modes implemented, 2 remaining, various enhancements outstanding), and the artwork is about 80% complete (needing additional p/f assets, plastics, and backpanel art).

As we've discussed in the past, in order to build an advanced pinball game platform, we've had to build most of the machine infrastructure from scratch. We've considered every individual component needed to build a machine that executes our vision, and we've used existing mechanisms where it made sense and designed new mechanisms where necessary. All of this engineering work will have been completely wasted if the machines and games we deliver aren't reliable and amazingly fun to play.

To that end (reliable and fun), we're spending the last 2 months before Pinball Expo on two primary goals:
- Fabricating and testing our new assemblies
- Delivering a great (fun, challenging, interesting) gaming experience with LL-GG

As always, the schedule is our enemy. A few of the assemblies are already built and are currently undergoing functional and reliability testing, and a few will come together just before Expo. While the mechanical team is focused on that, the game dev team is focused on LL-GG development and making sure all of the new innovations work together to create an amazingly fun experience for pinball players.

As always, I welcome your questions and comments. You can contact me by email or by phone (774-377-9746 : 77-GERRY-PIN). If you're in or near Austin, TX and wan't to join us on our public play-testing days, please be sure to let me know. We'll probably host one or two more play-testing days before Expo.

If you're on facebook, we intend to post periodic updates there too. So be sure to 'like' us: https://www.facebook.com/MultimorphicInc

I'll leave you with a few images showing off some of our progress.
- Gerry Stellenberg
Multimorphic, Inc.

#2 9 years ago

It was pretty cool at TPF
Hope it's badass by expo

#3 9 years ago

Pics assuming pinside allows that many:

LL-GG_mini-lcd.pngLL-GG_mini-lcd.png
P3_parts_fab_1.jpgP3_parts_fab_1.jpg
P3_parts_fab_2.jpgP3_parts_fab_2.jpg
LL-GG_proto_pfs.jpgLL-GG_proto_pfs.jpg
LL-GG_upper_pf_4.JPGLL-GG_upper_pf_4.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_1.JPGLL-GG_upper_pf_1.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_2.JPGLL-GG_upper_pf_2.JPG
LL-GG_upper_pf_3.JPGLL-GG_upper_pf_3.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for passing this all along, Zitt. I was really impressed by this machine at TPF. I have nothing but great things to say about these guys. They are true pinheads who just want to take pinball to another level. I love where they're going with P3.

#5 9 years ago

I can't wait to re play this machine, I played it every time I walked past it at TPF, and it wasn't even a complete game at that point.
But man, it was fun then.
If you guys at Multimorphic need a location for play testing, I got 23,000 square feet and would happily donate a few of them for you guys.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Many are using the P-ROC, some have chosen to develop their own systems, and unfortunately multiple others have abused our generosity and willingness to help by copying the P-ROC.

I don't doubt this statement, but on the other hand, it makes no sense. You can buy a p-roc off-the-shelf and use it, or you can go through all the trouble to make a knock-off, for what, to put into 100 pins? To spend all that r&d time to accomplish that? I don't even know how that is remotely cost effective. But we're certainly seeing some bad business sense from many pinball projects, so who knows.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't doubt this statement, but on the other hand, it makes no sense. You can buy a p-roc off-the-shelf and use it, or you can go through all the trouble to make a knock-off, for what, to put into 100 pins? To spend all that r&d time to accomplish that? I don't even know how that is remotely cost effective. But we're certainly seeing some bad business sense from many pinball projects, so who knows.

That was clearly a dig on FastPinball , the guys making/selling PROC competitor and working with PPS for "2.0" hardware / software licensed upgrades. Gerry was not pleased here and on his forum when this was announced.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

That was clearly a dig on FastPinball , the guys making/selling PROC competitor and working with PPS for "2.0" hardware / software licensed upgrades. Gerry was not pleased here and on his forum when this was announced.

Yeah obv. Getting around any finger pointing by saying "multiple others". Sounding bitter still though, gotta take it on the chin & up game.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Ah, I see, well that makes more sense at least.

#10 9 years ago

There seem to be several others who have also re-invented the wheel, depending on where you stand - look at JJP for one, MMR for a more recent example. The interchangeable smaller driver boards seem familiar. Not at all finger pointing, but it is easy to see how there could be different perspectives on this depending on who you are.

#11 9 years ago

"Imitation is the sincerest form of copyright infringement" or something like that .

#12 9 years ago

Yeah, I feel like he shouldn't mix a Multimorphic update with his bitterness about PROC alternatives.. Sort of bury's the lead.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Yeah obv. Getting around any finger pointing by saying "multiple others". Sounding bitter still though, gotta take it on the chin & up game.

Hey guys, there's actually another MFG who appears to have made a nearly exact replica of the P-ROC after nearly a year of dedicated engineering support from us. I agree it doesn't make business sense, but it happened, and I'm quite sure you'd be surprised to learn who it is.

Regardless, the point of my statement in the update was to explain why we're being more careful with the information we release to the public. We'd been very forthcoming and descriptive about the underlying technology in the P3, but competition in the pinball industry has ramped up significantly in the last year. Given all of the engineering time we've put into our products and innovations, it's now prudent to be more careful.

"up game" is exactly what we've done, and I'm excited to start showing off the results of our efforts at Expo.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#14 9 years ago

IDK - Given the recent, apparent Copyright Infringement done to me by a major Pin vendor ... I can completely understand why Gerry decide to make mention of his reasons for keeping things quiet.

Having said that - he's voiced his concerns and his future plans; so let it be. I can only imagine that as the P3 platform matures in the coming years; there will be a lot more people copying functionality and IP as their own. Opensource tends to breed that in spades.

Gerry is human... why shouldn't he voice his "bitterness"? At least he's communicating with his customers.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Yeah, I feel like he shouldn't mix a Multimorphic update with his bitterness about PROC alternatives.. Sort of bury's the lead.

I don't see how this came off as bitter. Gerry certainly had some heated (bitter) comments in the original FAST/PPS 2.0 discussion thread, but unless you use those as backdrop, which is not a fair way to judge this update, I don't see the bitterness in this post.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

Regardless, the point of my statement in the update was to explain why we're being more careful with the information we release to the public. We'd been very forthcoming and descriptive about the underlying technology in the P3, but competition in the pinball industry has ramped up significantly in the last year. Given all of the engineering time we've put into our products and innovations, it's now prudent to be more careful.

This is exactly how I read it initially, Gerry. You guys have been so open about the successes and failures along the way with P3, I think an explanation of why the transparency has ended was a good idea.

You guys have been forging the way with all your innovation on a shoestring/volunteer basis, so I and other pre-orders have been understanding of the delays. With all the new entrants into the pinball market looking to make a quick buck, I don't blame you for playing things closer to the vest. I just hope you guys aren't negatively impacted by your prior openness in the form of competitors replicating any of your innovation and bringing it to market before you can. You've worked too hard on achieving the vision to deserve any of that nonsense.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you have in store at Expo.

BTW - the upper playfield is looking awesome! I can't wait to see it in person.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-public-update-august-2014 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.