2017-02-21 12.49.04 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.44.18 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.44.55 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.25.26 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.37.05 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Production update Posted by solarvalue (7 years ago)

Post #12 Gerry of Multimorphic answers some questions. Posted by gstellenberg (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love this, very honest, and really true, in my opinion. Building pinballs is tough, not to mention doing things like reinventing flipper mechs to float above the playfield. It's even harder without the support of pre-orders. It's not risk free, we all know that, but it's really something when it pays off.
Wishing Multimorphic luck with this next run of games!

Thanks Aurich!

Quoted from solarvalue:

So, you can play Head's-Up against someone else on another P3 via wi-fi?

That's exactly right.

This will be the first Internet-linked game, no?

In pinball, as far as we know.

Quoted from Cornelius:

[re: Wizard - training game] That's a fantastic idea that probably wouldn't be doable with a "regular" pin! I love it!

It's one of a number of reasons why we designed the CL playfield as we did. A less general layout wouldn't be effective for a pinball trainer. Combined with our abilities to track the ball, highlight/animation ball paths and/or instructions on the playfield surface, and launch a ball from specific points on the playfield, and we can help a player practice almost any pinball skill, even things like live catches and center drain saves.

Quoted from Zitt:

I haven't played Wizard... but if anyone needs some help with pinball skills ... it's proably me. : sad trombone :

I concur.

Quoted from Mbecker:

what about the clear flippers that could be colored on the LCD screen -- idea kind of scrapped as well?

Not scrapped, just deferred until we can afford to spend the engineering resources to make reliable clear flippers. As engineers and pinball fanatics, we want to implement all of our ideas immediately. As businessmen, we have to make tradeoffs in order to build a reliable business in a reasonable amount of time. We have lots of ideas that we chose not to force into the first release. One nice thing about the modular design of the P3 is that we can make enhanced assemblies available as future upgrades once we're sure they're reliable.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

1 week later
#29 7 years ago

Assembly has begun!

- Gerry

2017-03-11 10.29.06 (resized).jpg2017-03-11 10.29.06 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

A few questions for gstellenberg:
Does the modular nature of the platform cut down on assembly times as compared to traditional pinball?

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but generally speaking, yes. The P3 is significantly more advanced and has more features than any other pinball machine I know that's being manufactured. It has more parts, more coil circuits, more features, etc. So it's difficult to compare it to other machines straight up. That said, because of how it's designed, it takes less time to build than the numbers I heard quoted by Stern the last time I went on a Stern factory tour. The modularity also translates to (in most cases) much improved serviceability.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Are all sub-assemblies assembled in the same factory?

Yes. The base cabinet is assembled by our cabinet builder, but everything else comes in as raw components and is assembled in the same factory. That's not a requirement, but it's easier to do it all in one place. A lot of parts are used in multiple sub-assemblies.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Is the upper playfield module the most complex sub-assembly?

Our current two playfield modules are very different. The Lexy Lightspeed playfield is arguably the most complex sub-assembly, possibly more complex that our wall/scoop assembly, but our Cannon Lagoon playfield is pretty easy and quick to assemble.

- Gerry

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks for the reply, interesting.
I notice there's no traditional assembly line in the pics, is that because its not an efficient way to build the P3 or is it just because the first run is a small one?

A traditional assembly line isn't very helpful for P3 assembly because of the granularity of subassemblies. Arguably every subassembly could have a mini-assembly line, and the final install of each subassembly into the frame could be handled in an assembly line. That might help a little more when quantities grow significantly higher, but it would also require more space and more people.

The idea of an assembly line is of course that you can create localized expertise and have those people focus on one or just a few tasks (with a small number of parts and tools). With the P3, each subassembly can be efficiently built by one person. That's the granularity we think it makes sense to build expertise.

- Gerry

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Any chance P3 will be at arcade expo in Banning, CA this weekend?

Not this year. We're focused on building machines, getting them to our early customers, and then building up inventory to be able to ship quickly to new customers. We'll be at TPF next weekend for sure, and then we're hoping to work with customers and distributors to get machines at additional shows this year, with Multimorphic representation where appropriate.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic

#38 7 years ago

Shows after April of this year are a maybe. We'd love to have machines at all of them. If you run a show and want a P3 there, please contact me. If you know the people who run shows you're attending, please have them contact me.

When we ship a lot more machines, I expect we'll have a presence at most shows. Until then, we'll need to talk about it.

- Gerry

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-update-febmar-2017?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.