Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gstellenberg
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2017-03-11 10.29.06 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.59.17 (resized).jpg
p3_tpf_2017_ad (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.53.15 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.57.12 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.55.50 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.45.23 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.48.29 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.47.28 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.46.26 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.46.59 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.49.04 (resized).jpg
2017-02-27 11.44.18 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.44.55 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.25.26 (resized).jpg
2017-02-21 12.37.05 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 Production update Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #12 Gerry of Multimorphic answers some questions. Posted by gstellenberg (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

#1 2 years ago

Just received the following from Gerry:

Last month we announced that production of the P3, our revolutionary pinball platform, has begun. Here are some updated details:

- First production run: 25 machines
- Assembly in March and April, shipping in April
- All 0-dollar pre-order customers have been contacted about participating in the 2nd production run
- They've been offered a choice between the following (games not chosen can always be purchased and added later):
---- (a) the P3 with a 5-game package (Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth, Lexy Lightspeed - Secret Agent Showdown, Cannon Lagoon, ROCs, and Barnyard)
---- (b) the P3 with Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth and Cosmic Cart Racing (when it becomes available)
- Assembly expected to begin in June/July

As we continue managing the supply chain and working with our partners to ensure the first production run goes as smoothly as possible, we're also continuing to develop games. Cosmic Cart Racing is our next playfield design, hopefully available by the end of 2017. In the meantime, we and 3rd party developers are creating new games that work with one or both of our existing playfield modules (Lexy Lightspeed and Cannon Lagoon). These new games show our continued desire to deliver varying gameplay mechanics and styles and create games that interest a wide range of players. We'll have a few machines and many of our games (including 3 new ones) available for play in our booth at the Texas Pinball Festival. We'll also be describing them in detail (and providing pizza!) during our seminar at 12pm (noon) on Saturday 3/25.

The new games are:

Wizard - A pinball training game - Learn and practice all types of pinball playing techniques
Heads Up! - A fast-paced, head-to-head, network-linked game across two P3 machines
Grand Slam Rally - A baseball game and also the first P3 game developed by a 3rd party

These new games bring the total P3 game count to 8, with multiple games for almost every age group and skill level.

When we talk about multiple games in a single platform, many who haven't played the P3 confuse our games with virtual pinball on video game platforms. To be clear, the P3 is a physical pinball platform with real balls, flippers, bumpers, targets, ramps, loops, etc. The P3 delivers everything we all love about playing physical pinball and a whole lot more, and it does it all in a single cabinet with the ability to easily switch out game hardware and/or select different game software. We enhance that physical experience with dynamic and interactive playfield artwork in the areas that traditional pinball games have static playfield images.

We had a nice response to our 0-dollar pre-order program, with a good portion of the list converting their orders to actual purchases; so we're in good shape for the 2nd production run. The most common cancellation reason was from people wanting to wait until machines were built and available for immediate delivery. We understand that position, especially in light of recent events in the industry with other new companies and pre-orders, and we hope to soon grow our business to the point where we can fill orders immediately. At the same time, pre-orders have given us the ability to build and ship games before we reach that point, and we're grateful for that support and help.

To help us get to the point where we can build up inventory, we've expanded the size of our 2nd production run to accommodate everybody who was on the waiting list. We'd like to round out that 2nd run with 20 more orders. While the '5 games or CCR' promotion has expired, all new orders that come in between now and the end of March will receive a $1000 credit, applicable to the purchase of software-only add-on games. Please note - this offer is for new orders only; it will not be applied to previous orders. Also note - this is not a pre-order offer; it's a build-to-order offer. Payments will be immediately applied to the purchase of parts for the build of those machines, with full assembly expected to begin in June/July when the long lead-time items are scheduled to arrive.

To help put the incentive value into perspective, these are our current and estimated prices:

P3 machine w/ Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth + LL-EE playfield module : $9875
Cannon Lagoon + CL playfield module: $1499 (estimated)
Cosmic Cart Racing + CCR playfield module: $2499 (estimated)
Lexy Lightspeed - Secret Agent Showdown: $149 (estimated) (Requires LL-EE playfield)
ROCs: $399 (estimated) (works with any playfield)
Barnyard: $149 (estimated) (works with any playfield)
Wizard: $499 (estimated) (requires CL playfield)
Heads Up!: $399 (estimated) (requires CL playfield)
Grand Slam Rally: Pice to be determined by the developer (requires CL playfield)

All of our games so far are original themes. We hear the continued feedback suggesting we secure a popular license, and we agree with it, but now isn't yet the time. For now we're focused on production, building a reliable product with significant gameplay variety, and delivering both traditional and state-of-the-art features enjoyable by traditional pinball enthusiasts as well as the broader gaming community. Once the P3 ecosystem is rolling smoothly, we'll be able to support larger game development budgets and secure exciting licenses.

We've also received some questions about our relationship with our contract manufacturing partner. We own all of the IP for every custom part in the P3. For now, we're also managing 100% of the supply chain. Our CM is helping by providing us manufacturing space and resources. As production continues, they'll be helping us assemble, test, and ship machines all according to our well-documented assembly, test, and logistics processes.

As always, if you have more questions, feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Attached are a bunch of pictures of incoming parts and our TPF ad. We hope to see you there!

- Gerry Stellenberg
Multimorphic, Inc.

p3_tpf_2017_ad (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.59.17 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.53.15 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.57.12 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.55.50 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.45.23 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.48.29 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.47.28 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.46.26 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.46.59 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.49.04 (resized).jpg2017-02-27 11.44.18 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.44.55 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.25.26 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.37.05 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 12.26.04 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 10.40.39 (resized).jpg102_4991 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Wow... real pictures about real parts showing up for real assembly of games! This is what we like to see.
Payment #2 is in Multimorphic's hands... looking forward to this one.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Heads Up! - A fast-paced, head-to-head, network-linked game across two P3 machines

This was the game I was talking about earlier in the year. I really like this game and look forward to getting my arse spanked by fellow pinheads. It's defiantly a fast paced game that is a lot of fun. Reminds me of my days of playing Quake against my younger brother complete with the sh1t talking. I'm really curious to see what you guys think of this at TPF.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Grand Slam Rally - A baseball game and also the first P3 game developed by a 3rd party

Played this one too. It's tough to hit that ball sometimes.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

we hope to soon grow our business to the point where we can fill orders immediately. At the same time, pre-orders have given us the ability to build and ship games before we reach that point, and we're grateful for that support and help.

I love this, very honest, and really true, in my opinion. Building pinballs is tough, not to mention doing things like reinventing flipper mechs to float above the playfield. It's even harder without the support of pre-orders. It's not risk free, we all know that, but it's really something when it pays off.

Wishing Multimorphic luck with this next run of games!

And I think Gerry would agree with me when I say good for everyone supporting independent pinball.

#4 2 years ago

So, you can play Head's-Up against someone else on another P3 via wi-fi?

This will be the first Internet-linked game, no?

#5 2 years ago

Hoping against all odds that production somehow moves faster that anticipated lol.. July/August seems so far away!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Just received the following from Gerry:

Great pix and great info! Lots of new stuff I didn't know about, like...

Quoted from solarvalue:

Wizard - A pinball training game - Learn and practice all types of pinball playing techniques

That's a fantastic idea that probably wouldn't be doable with a "regular" pin! I love it!

Quoted from solarvalue:

Heads Up! - A fast-paced, head-to-head, network-linked game across two P3 machines.

This I love even more! I love head-to-head games, from Challenger to Joust to NBA Fastbreak - I'm so excited to check this out!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Gerry would have to answer as to the specs... I'm not sure which fall under NDA.
But; I do think it's the first game with "interactive" internet connectivity. In the Past; I know Pin2k had a tourney system...but I'm about 95% sure that gameplay was unaffected by the internet.

This game is 100% interactive with the other player... you really owe it to yourself and a buddy to give this several tries at TPF. I have played against several of Gerry's team and I had a blast!

Its my understanding that Heads-Up is playable across the real internet... I look forward to the day I can plug my P3/Headsup to my GoogleFiber connection and get schooled by Compy or Gerry.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Its my understanding that Heads-Up is playable across the real internet... I look forward to the day I can plug my P3/Headsup to my GoogleFiber connection and get schooled by Compy or Gerry.

Awesome. Yes, it will be really fun to one day play against some of the people here on Pinside.

#10 2 years ago

I haven't played Wizard... but if anyone needs some help with pinball skills ... it's proably me. : sad trombone :

#11 2 years ago

I. Was going thru old pinball news articles on the p3 the other day, I actually hadn't realized it started without a head. And the "le" was supposed to have a head, was the idea? I understand the backbox showed up after lots of feedback, was the le idea then scrapped? Interesting to see the evolution of ideas thru prototyping, feedback, etc. what about the clear flippers that could be colored on the LCD screen -- idea kind of scrapped as well?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love this, very honest, and really true, in my opinion. Building pinballs is tough, not to mention doing things like reinventing flipper mechs to float above the playfield. It's even harder without the support of pre-orders. It's not risk free, we all know that, but it's really something when it pays off.
Wishing Multimorphic luck with this next run of games!

Thanks Aurich!

Quoted from solarvalue:

That's exactly right.

In pinball, as far as we know.

Quoted from Cornelius:

[re: Wizard - training game] That's a fantastic idea that probably wouldn't be doable with a "regular" pin! I love it!

It's one of a number of reasons why we designed the CL playfield as we did. A less general layout wouldn't be effective for a pinball trainer. Combined with our abilities to track the ball, highlight/animation ball paths and/or instructions on the playfield surface, and launch a ball from specific points on the playfield, and we can help a player practice almost any pinball skill, even things like live catches and center drain saves.

Quoted from Zitt:

I haven't played Wizard... but if anyone needs some help with pinball skills ... it's proably me. : sad trombone :

I concur.

Quoted from Mbecker:

what about the clear flippers that could be colored on the LCD screen -- idea kind of scrapped as well?

Not scrapped, just deferred until we can afford to spend the engineering resources to make reliable clear flippers. As engineers and pinball fanatics, we want to implement all of our ideas immediately. As businessmen, we have to make tradeoffs in order to build a reliable business in a reasonable amount of time. We have lots of ideas that we chose not to force into the first release. One nice thing about the modular design of the P3 is that we can make enhanced assemblies available as future upgrades once we're sure they're reliable.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#13 2 years ago

That totally makes sense Gerry, thanks for answering!

Man there is so so much potential for this platform, it just kind of blows me away and seems like just the surface has been scratched. I love the idea of having multiple games within each module that are screen selectable on startup., can't wait to build a few libraries and am very interested to see what the first licensed title ends up being. Seems like this year will be a huge production year and next year will see a big concentration on game dev which is exciting. My only concern now is that I hope the p4 doesn't hit the market in 3 years after I sink my hobby money in p3, cause I know I'm gonna want it and whatever enhancements it has as well!!! Haha

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I have been really excited about this since Gerry alluded to it last year. I hope it scales to all skill levels. Really looking forward to seeing the new games on video.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Quoted from Zitt:I haven't played Wizard... but if anyone needs some help with pinball skills ... it's proably me. : sad trombone :

I concur.

Jerk.

Quoted from Mbecker:

My only concern now is that I hope the p4 doesn't hit the market in 3 years after I sink my hobby money in p3, cause I know I'm gonna want it and whatever enhancements it has as well!!!

Nothing I've seen in his presentations makes me believe that is even a consideration. Given the modularity of the system; it should be very easy to swap out newer components with little impact. Gerry's focus will probably be in generating newer upper PF modules. The only thing I thing he might do "one day" is a 4K LCD w/ appropriate hardware if/when the hardware becomes cost effective. But given the LCD is "modular"; it would probably be a fairly easy upgrade.
FYI: I am not in a position to "know"... just attend his presentations regularly.

#16 2 years ago

Thanks for reply zitt -- I was joking a bit but I did see Gerry allude to it in one of the pinball news articles, and wasn't something I had considered until then. I think your right though, for the time being there's plenty for multimorphic to concentrate on for years to come on the p3. They have to be stoked to be looking at production finally, and a shift in focus soon.

#17 2 years ago

So excited for TPF. The P3 is going to make so many different kinds of pinball games possible, it will change pinball forever.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hoping against all odds that production somehow moves faster that anticipated lol.. July/August seems so far away!

Tell me about it. This is almost worse than waiting for your first kid to pop out...

#19 2 years ago

I want to more more about the CCR game and module.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

I want to more more about the CCR game and module.

I'd love to know too, but guessing that it's months away from more info revealing if it's not due out till (hopefully) end of year.

#21 2 years ago

Gerry, have you given any consideration to making a redemption build of the cabinet to make it more attractive for the redemption operators? I was imagining you would need a back box display with eye-catching demos and promises of lots of tickets to be won and probably some intense lighting effects on the cabinet. It would be cool for locations that do redemption and pins to have the P3 as a gateway drug for the kiddos and get them over to the pinball side.

#22 2 years ago

gstellenberg , I really enjoyed your podcast interview!

When it comes to licensed themes maybe a middle ground would be to license some of the property of PPS. Seeing a interpretation of popular themes like Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Cactus Canyon on the Multimorphic could be pretty cool.

Good luck in your venture and ill be keeping up with your progress..

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

gstellenberg , I really enjoyed your podcast interview!
When it comes to licensed themes maybe a middle ground would be to license some of the property of PPS. Seeing a interpretation of popular themes like Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Cactus Canyon on the Multimorphic could be pretty cool.
Good luck in your venture and ill be keeping up with your progress..

Can you link to podcast?

#24 2 years ago

I don't think we're allowed to link to the podcast but if you Google "P3 Gerry joins the show" you will find it.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't think we're allowed to link to the podcast but if you Google "P3 Gerry joins the show" you will find it.

Oh lol, should have known it was k ha! I'll giv it a listen tomorrow at work, always looking for more info on p3 in the absence of having the machine here

#26 2 years ago

Awesome! Keep us updated please. I'm really stoked about this. Any chance there will be one at pinfest in May? I'd love the opportunity to buy me of these but I'd like to play it first.

#27 2 years ago

Was a great chat

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Great podcast. I'm on the fence (I'm also in on TBL with Melissa at CT). I want the P3 game, but want to see what happens with the first production run. Also waiting for Gerry's TPF announcements and new P3 website release he mentions in the podcast.

#29 2 years ago

Assembly has begun!

- Gerry

2017-03-11 10.29.06 (resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago

Congrats again Gerry. Rooting for your success.

#31 2 years ago

A few questions for gstellenberg:

How long do you think it will take for the first machines to be completed?
Does the modular nature of the platform cut down on assembly times as compared to traditional pinball?
Are all sub-assemblies assembled in the same factory?
Is the upper playfield module the most complex sub-assembly?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Does the modular nature of the platform cut down on assembly times as compared to traditional pinball?

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but generally speaking, yes. The P3 is significantly more advanced and has more features than any other pinball machine I know that's being manufactured. It has more parts, more coil circuits, more features, etc. So it's difficult to compare it to other machines straight up. That said, because of how it's designed, it takes less time to build than the numbers I heard quoted by Stern the last time I went on a Stern factory tour. The modularity also translates to (in most cases) much improved serviceability.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Are all sub-assemblies assembled in the same factory?

Yes. The base cabinet is assembled by our cabinet builder, but everything else comes in as raw components and is assembled in the same factory. That's not a requirement, but it's easier to do it all in one place. A lot of parts are used in multiple sub-assemblies.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Is the upper playfield module the most complex sub-assembly?

Our current two playfield modules are very different. The Lexy Lightspeed playfield is arguably the most complex sub-assembly, possibly more complex that our wall/scoop assembly, but our Cannon Lagoon playfield is pretty easy and quick to assemble.

- Gerry

#33 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply, interesting.

I notice there's no traditional assembly line in the pics, is that because its not an efficient way to build the P3 or is it just because the first run is a small one?

#34 2 years ago

Any chance P3 will be at arcade expo in Banning, CA this weekend?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks for the reply, interesting.
I notice there's no traditional assembly line in the pics, is that because its not an efficient way to build the P3 or is it just because the first run is a small one?

A traditional assembly line isn't very helpful for P3 assembly because of the granularity of subassemblies. Arguably every subassembly could have a mini-assembly line, and the final install of each subassembly into the frame could be handled in an assembly line. That might help a little more when quantities grow significantly higher, but it would also require more space and more people.

The idea of an assembly line is of course that you can create localized expertise and have those people focus on one or just a few tasks (with a small number of parts and tools). With the P3, each subassembly can be efficiently built by one person. That's the granularity we think it makes sense to build expertise.

- Gerry

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Any chance P3 will be at arcade expo in Banning, CA this weekend?

Not this year. We're focused on building machines, getting them to our early customers, and then building up inventory to be able to ship quickly to new customers. We'll be at TPF next weekend for sure, and then we're hoping to work with customers and distributors to get machines at additional shows this year, with Multimorphic representation where appropriate.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Not this year. We're focused on building machines, getting them to our early customers, and then building up inventory to be able to ship quickly to new customers. We'll be at TPF next weekend for sure, and then we're hoping to work with customers and distributors to get machines at additional shows this year, with Multimorphic representation where appropriate.
- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic

Pin a go go?

#38 2 years ago

Shows after April of this year are a maybe. We'd love to have machines at all of them. If you run a show and want a P3 there, please contact me. If you know the people who run shows you're attending, please have them contact me.

When we ship a lot more machines, I expect we'll have a presence at most shows. Until then, we'll need to talk about it.

- Gerry

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 9,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 89.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 189.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside