• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 29 votes
    13%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 37 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I didn't realize highway was going swsppable as well. So a base game is 6.5k and then the kits to swap are around 3 to 4K? I like the swappabke model-- however I'm agreeing that swapping and storing whole Playfields can be a pia for those with limited space.

That's the claim... but we need to wait to see how Highway actually does this.
The difference here is that Gerry demonstrates the 30second playfield swap at every one of his seminars.
I challenge Highway to do this during their seminars.

#46 7 years ago

The swap looks very similar to the P3 swap. That obviously is no accident.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Heighway doesn't use PROC boards. Besides, the control system and the playfield form factor have little relationship in the game's design.

I did edit the post because I was mistaken... I confused Heighway for Dutch Pinball; whom does use the PROC boards in their BOP2.0 and TBL Machines.
It actually does have a lot to do with the control system. A point to point "bussed" design with independent "driver" boards will have a lot fewer cables between the backbox and the playfield. But you know this.

#62 7 years ago

I know Gerry will speak to these questions... My (from the sidelines) understanding:
1) Second cabinet; My gut tells me he is focusing on getting his games out and couldn't take the time during startup to develop a "low frills" cabinet. If there were enough interest in a Dev cabinet; the volume might make sense - but I doubt the cost of the dev cabinet would be much cheaper than his current price point. IE I doubt there are 1000s of us willing to buy a second dev cabinet.
An interesting idea which I'd be interested in; but given the ease at which the PF module comes out; I'd just use my primary cabinet as a dev platform for Borderlands.

2) This came up during my friendly talks with him for Borderlands. What you described is possible. Given the lexan surface swap takes less than 30seconds; something easily accomplished and would have no functionality impacts to the system.

#102 7 years ago

I know I've had conversations with Gerry before... but the reality is we are all just guessing right now.
We really need to get further down the road with Multimorphic before we find out exactly how the market will embrace their model and how they will be involved in the new market they create.

I'm fairly sure I remember Gerry saying in a seminar that they wanted to have some kind of partnership with third party developers to ensure the modules meet some standard. I think it was more of a making sure modules don't "damage" existing machines. Other than that; I think We really need to wait until Lexy is available... and hopefully they have a bigger budget to scope and support the community with third party titles.

That said; outside of "copyrights" the community manages itself. If you develop an original theme without licensed content... then you are free to sell for whatever the market will buy it for.

#119 7 years ago

For me it's a no brainer - I view Lexy/Canyon as a complete developer kit... one that I can *quickly* convert back to a production machine.
I'm guessing the shelf life of my Lexy will be about 3wk... before she starts getting a retheme.
It's *NOT* that I think Lexy is a boring game... it just that *my* priorities are in having fun crafting something new.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

What's your end intention right now? Are you making something for yourself or intend to make it a kit? Are you making your own playfield module as well as sw?

I talked about it in my own thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/borderlands-the-pinball
for now; it for me... but if I can obtain a license - I'd be open to eventually selling a kit.
Admittedly, that project has made no progress... but mainly because I've been focused on building mods for the community and I don't yet have the "development kit". But really the issue is that project is HUGE.. not something a hobbyist by himself could accomplish.

#136 7 years ago

yeah. the booth is never empty.
Canyon has gotten more polish since the last time I saw it (TPF). I noticed some intro scenes on that game; and there is a time extender coin you can "capture". I'm sure their is other stuff... I just suck at it.

#138 7 years ago

Left flipper mech petty cool

P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpgP_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I wonder if anyone on here has worked with unity and understands the complexity level of taking these asset packs and turning them into something usable? How hard is it? is it all done somehow within unity or through something like python code?

Easy really. I've used assets to enable Bluetooth in our PWM Dimmer App... and done a few other assets to enable the custom switches in that same app. Unity is really that powerful; the only disadvantage to the asset store right now is there is a lot of material to look thru... and you really have to be comfortable "making" the asset seller responsible for helping you if there is a bug or two with their software.

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks zitt !! Good to know -- and that simmer app is awesome! Gonna have to do some reading about unity - my understanding of how software/game engines work is pretty limited

I thought that was a challenge as well; I started learning via this online course:
Learn to Code by Making Games - The Complete Unity Developer @udemy.com. I got about halfway thru the course before I started the PWM Dimmer project. I need to go back and continue/finish the course at some point.

1 month later
#155 7 years ago

Man... I was over at Gerry's this afternoon shootin' the sh1t and talking about pinball when he shows me some of the new P3 projects he's working on... I'm sweared to secrecy... so can't give any details; but there is one game based upon Cannon Lagoon's PF that is funking fun!

Lexy's a good game... but it's "pinball" which to me is great... but is missing a certain social component as you can only really ridicule the person playing while you watch. I'm just not a good enough player to really stack up against anyone on Lexy; so I'm always getting my arse kicked. Cannon is a good game; but again - I can't make the shots very well. Skill issue again.

This new game; I was having a blast... I must have played a dozen or so times because he added a social aspect to gameplay I've only seen in one other game.

He showed me a couple of the other early titles his team is working on... I gotta say that this round of new games is defiantly pushing the Pinball machine in new directions! This game and his innovation are really starting to show in the newer games. I hope that his team makes his self imposed deadline this march... and I'm sure many of you will be surprised at Multimorphic's ingenuity.

I wasn't sure from the conversation how many of these games are third parties and how much is "in house"; but however they are being made is really a good thing.

#157 7 years ago

I really can't say much because I have some insider knowledge. His "deadline" isn't really a secret... but I'm sure he'll announce officially when he's ready to talk.

No one in the industry talks about pre-order numbers... We can only gather what LEs might have sold at Stern if it's a fast selling title. So I highly doubt you'll ever know how many he has on preorder. I don't know... and don't want to know.

When he announces the new games; you can determine for yourself is the games on that Playfield is worth it.

Have you been able to play Lexy? If not... or even if you have. You should try to come out for TPF'2017... This year is looking to be kick @$$ with all the custom machines making an appearance.

#159 7 years ago

Last year they announced 4 new games for the platform, and this year they’re promising even bigger announcements and demonstrations.

-- http://texaspinball.com/tpf/multimorphic-welcome-to-the-present/

1 month later
#165 7 years ago

Gerry has my initial deposit. I think I'm in round 2 as well.

Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Got my notice about being in round 2. Trying to decide whether to go ahead or not. Had a few questions, maybe other people might know the answers or maybe Gerry can post something:
- When I signed up, the plan was Lexi + Cosmic Cart Racing for $10K, and now it looks like a redemption game (which in a home environment I really have no use for) and some rethemes of Lexi for $10K. Is there a way to forego Cannon Lagoon to get a credit for some or all of the cost of Cosmic Cart Racing when it comes out?

Talk to Gerry. IE I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that you will never be "denied" the terms of your original pre-order and would end up getting more than originally received.
IIRC; those who were in at two games; get all 5 games as long as you don't cancel your preorder.
Gerry knows for sure tho.

Cannon Lagoon really isn't as bad as indicated. Have you played it? It is fun; albeit in a make the shots or die kinda mode. I would agree tho; it isn't traditional pinball with a deep rule set.

- Originally there was a lot of discussion about having an open source model for game development, where example code would be available for people to do their own game designs. More recently, there has been some discussion about a “walled garden” model where presumably game developers are under some kind of contract & Multimorphic receives royalties on game sales. Do games have to be distributed through Multimorphic?

I think they are still working the details. IIRC it wasn't about preventing access/getting money; but about ensuring "released" products aren't going to damage machines and that games meet minimum standards.

- The games that have been demonstrated so far have not shown a lot of 3D graphics capability. Does the host machine have the capability to support 3D graphics-intensive game designs? Is the host machine hardware upgradeable?

I can answer this... but will leave it to Gerry as I'm not sure how much of this is from me being observant vs information he has disclosed.

1 month later
#177 7 years ago

I'm not paid in full yet... gotta earn the interest for another month or two.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

What kind of interest will you earn in a couple months on 10k?

One dollar of interest is one dollar I didn't have before. $6k over two months at .8% is still money I don't need to part with.

Quoted from fastpinball:

I thought if anyone had their money all in, it was you.

I signed his preorder list like the next guy. I was not one of the founding; paid-in-full people in his first batch. AFAIK; I'm probably about midway thru the second batch.

2 months later
#209 6 years ago

As solar said; Gerry's update said there was a delay to address some of the issues identified during TPF.
I can't seem to find the update in my inbox or I'd post it.

1 month later
#217 6 years ago

I'm in second batch, so no idea.
I do know that P3 will be in the BatCity pinball tourney; so It unlikely the team will be able to respond until early next week.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

It is interesting, like everything the posts are suspended from the clear polycarbinate (I assume that is what it is). They are very easily adjusted, and if the holes there are not good for you, drilling some new holes doesn't feel as destructive as drilling a playfield.

Correct. The "surface" of the lower playfield is standard 1/4" polycarbonate that you can buy at lowes/homedepot / etc.
They did this in that material so that anyone can find a replacement lower PF when it gets too scratched up to be useful. At least that is what Gerry has said at most of his seminars I have attended in the past.

I don't remember where the posts are mounted. My assumption is that they are in the polycarb... but they might be part of the lower flipper assembly as well.

Quoted from Brijam:

I really like the idea that third parties can develop titles for the platform. I think this is a smart move. With deep respect, the company has a strength in engineering but not art. Either focus on engineering and let third party artists and designers loose on your platform, or bring in an experienced art director. Or why not both?

Here's the way I see it. Chicken vs Egg senerio.
Developers do not flock to an unknown platform where there are may be small numbers of platforms available. With Xbox, PSone, etc... there are millions of units out there to get paying customers.

When it comes to the P3; Multimorphic HAS to build games which demonstrate the technology.. He has to build enough of a customer base to make it enticing enough for third party developers. This is what I believe you are seeing here - Building technological, but playable demos that enable a test bed for developers to start with.

We don't need another SkitB, Heighway, or Dutch Pinball scenario. Smart people know this - so Multimorphic appears to doing the right things to minimize expenditures so that they can grow the company long term. Outsourcing to an expensive or otherwise unknown 3rd party does not seem to be good for short term growth. Once they have shipped an good base of games; then we'll see more interest in the platform.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Oh, is building a technology demo their market strategy? I didn't know that. So they're trying to attract developers and not sell pinball machines at this time? That changes everything.
As a developer, I see so much potential in their platform. But right now I only know that as an (incredibly small time) operator, I wouldn't buy their platform (solely based on Lexy). On the other hand, I /want/ a Houdini.

No, please don't put my words in their mouth.
Its the way *I* see it; not necessarily their business model.

Why is Houdini better than Lexy?
Houdini IMHO; has too much bad history for me to "invest" in that company. I wish them luck; and have a friend who works on their team...but it isn't enough for me to invest in them. Maybe on Game#2... or after Game#1 is shown to be a home run.

For *ME*; the P3 is the platform I want to design my game#2 on ... just too much potential there.

#254 6 years ago

It's taken them years because, yeah... they are building something completely different than anything anyone has put out to date.
I challenge ANYONE to point to any aspect of the P3 and claim it's already been done.

This is a game changer (to re-use Multimorphic's slogan?) ... and while some may not like the theme or the large LCD... this is nothing but good for our hobby/industry.

Because of Multimorphic we have got to enjoy Buffy, Doom, TnA, and a whole slew of home brews. Once we have P3s at our finger tips; I can only imagine more developers will flock to the platform for the flexibility it offers.

2 weeks later
#281 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Man, I just popped by to see what's going on in the P3 world, is the Koolaid really this strong here? You said "any aspect"? Ok, chuckle, I'll consider that exuberant hyperbole.

It was kinda... but really; they have touched about every aspect of the machine. The only thing you can say is the ball is still a 1-1/16" ball bearing... the upper PF is still wood and there are ramps, flippers, pops, etc.

My real point is look at everything else... it's the same. JJP, Stern, Spooky still does things the old way - there isn't a lot of innovation except on the licensing of themes side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-lexy-et-al-whos-in?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.