• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 29 votes
    13%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 37 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Gosh, I just wish this poll had more options!

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

that settles it, I can't waste that extra 1:39 on Heighway!
Both seem faster than most people would think...P3 would be even closer if you were swapping any lower playfield items

I like how for the first 30 seconds to a minute the Heighway guy looks like he's clearly hurrying while simultaneous trying to appear like he isn't. I don't think it makes any difference to the time. It's just amusing

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

If I were Gerry, I'd be pulling my hair out every time this argument comes up. Oh wait, he already did.

I'm sure Gerry shaved it off. Everyone knows he's all about doing things the most efficient way possible.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

But who is doing this 'on the side'. People retheme stuff on the side, a handful or two have built a game from ground up. I don't consider it 'on the side' anymore if you're trying to sell these.. and if there's anything the boutique guys have told us is there is a huge gap between getting a prototype for yourself, and something mature enough to sell someone right?
Btw I am really enjoying this discussion, I am glad we can talk about this without it spinning out of control

In addition to Josh's projects, just off the top of my head:
Doom, Total Annihilation, Buffy, Wooly, nightmare before Christmas, CCC, Iron Man HD, and the Matrix, were all created by people working on these projects on the side. Some of these are "just software", some are minor rethemes (take most of an existing layout and apply new art and change geometry in some ways), and some are completely new games with new software. There is room for all three on the p3 platform.

There's a pretty lively community of custom and homebrew folks who aren't necessarily interested in shipping you a cabinet or solving every "full machine" problem required to get a game into your home. If someone else is providing the software platform, the boards, and some large percentage of the machine, it's a much lower barrier of entry for someone to try to launch a side business developing for the p3.

The pinball market might not be big enough for people to quit their day jobs to develop p3 games. Unclear. Hell, when I heard PinballStar Joe on a certain podcast, even he has a non-pinball day job...

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Fair enough, my mental calculus is only accounting for new playfield module games where much of the hard work (mechanisms, harnesses, etc) is still present.. just 66% less.
Regarding ground up games: yes there are handfuls.. prob under 50. But that's still a different animal to me than making it for sale vs for yourself. Seems like WOOLY is a good case study here because he tried to make the leap from personal project to production. It wasn't economical from my understanding based on interest. Not sure what's going to be fundamentally different for module development?

Well, if I'm making and going to sell a game from scratch, for each machine sold I need to buy a cabinet, have somewhere to keep it, apply decals, buy a power supply and boards... In a traditional model, I would have to buy all these things that are large, costly, and yield no profit margins for me.

It's not just a reduction of hard work in my mind.

3 months later
#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Cl looks fun, but the longevity didn't seem to be there for me and the price point unfortunately a little high for me to think about buying it alone.. unless someone makes a killer game off the module then I may have to rethink it.

The CL playfield is a panacea for developers...

1 week later
#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Wow. Been on pinside for 6 months and never even seen this! Just read the whole thread. What a new level of innovation! Price tag is a killer though. Definitely following and would love to own one in the future. Good luck multimorphic! Speechless

Multimorphic was at Pintastic in 2016; not sure if there will be a presence at this year's show but I certainly hope so.

If you're blown away by videos, wait until you actually play a P3!

2 months later
#212 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Just played my first games on lexy -- quite a difference from watching videos! I am liking it -- first impressions were:
I like the 3 button per side for mode changes and lane changes- although will take a little getting used to.
At first you keep wanting to look up at head for score info, but get used to looking down instead and I really like being able to see it while playing. Also the screen sits there telling you to launch ball at your ball start which seems counter-intuitive since a ball never physically pops out into the shooter lane that you can see- takes some getting used to
The flippers have a different feel to them, but are very snappy and strong -- coming from dialed in I really liked how much stronger they feel!
The Playfield is awesome! It's kind of errily dark when the game is off- I'd only seen pictures and video when it was on. But standing in front of it playing is really freaking cool -- the animations and the way t comes to life.
Lexy is fun -- very good job on this game making it clear what shots you need to hit and what you are supposed to be doing - which the Playfield screen is super integrated into - great job using it in that aspect. I noticed less pf/ball interaction and a lot more use of it for information.
Good sound system! Scoop system is as cool as it looks in videos. Everything works great!
Thanks to gstellenberg for getting this up here and to pinballbulbs for hosting it at the nw show! Gonna get some more games in tomorrow before it gets crowded

This, "I thought I got it before, now I *really* get it" was my experience when I first played a P3 prototype that was running early Lexy code at Expo two years ago. I joined the dev team a few months later...and I'm not sure why it took me that long!

1 month later
#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I agree about the backglass art - it's weird that it is washed out.. don't know if they could adjust this for 2nd run? It should be way more vibrant... whatever's causing the problem.

The team is aware of the issues with the translite print. New samples are are in transit in from from the printer that will hopefully address the issue. Rest assured that this will be resolved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-lexy-et-al-whos-in?tu=mocean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.