• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 29 votes
    13%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 37 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm surprised there aren't more Topic posts on Lexy and the P3 system.. something like 11 topics on it I think.. fffar less than Dialed In!, BM66, or other games on the horizon and hopefully shipping by/in 2017. Reading through what people have said, I don't think I've really seen much of anything negative about it -- maybe that's why there isn't more chatter about it? When things affect people negatively there's always a flutter on pinside..

It's interesting not to see more talk on it just because this game is SO different from anything else and IMO is SUCH a cool concept. There are a TON of unique features built into the P3, including ideas that people have been talking about for a long while (player profiles with lifetime stats/achievements, different skill settings on the fly for different players in the same game, team play, open dev kit for 3rd parties to design complete games, on the list goes). Not to mention that the up front cost is looking to be very close to Dialed In! or BM66 and Lexy is just the beginning for this swappable module system. For $15k in a few years you could have 4 games in 1 for the future price of 1 stern LLLE or a JJP CE.

I was hoping to get more of a feel of what people think of this game and who's interested not only in playing it on location next year but who's on the pre-order list or thinking about pre-ordering or just ordering in general?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Gosh, I just wish this poll had more options!

Hahaha just wanted to cover most (all?) the bases. I also just realized that the poll looks pretty long on mobile vs on the pc where I did it..

Thanks for all the votes so far guys -- interesting to see

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I played P3 at MGC this year and it was a lot of fun. How much are they going to sell for?

Can't imagine they will pull very far away from the estimated $10k. At least I'm hoping they don't jump $2k.. been a long development

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm looking forward to when they/second party release a licensed theme for a P3. That could get very interesting.

For sure!! I'm interested as well to see what the dev time is for that both for people with experience and those trying a home brew design.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I personally think that what they are doing is moving pinball forward and there really isn't any thing else that is as innovative.
Does anybody know when these go into production? The website says early 2016.

It sounds like they are very close - early 2017 seems likely for the first ones-

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I am sadly not interested at all. It is to much videogame to me, very outdated also, and i dont like the mechanical pin part of the game.
It is more of a gimmick than a worthy pin platform if you ask me.
But i hope i am all wrong.

It's hard to say how the interactions between digital and physical will feel overall I think if you haven't played it (I'm assuming you have not played one, and I haven't either) but everyone that's played it seems to have been really impressed and also surprised when they realized it's nothing like a VP cab. The ball tracking looks like it works amazingly well and there's so much potential for integration/interaction between the ball and the screen. As far as the graphics.. well if you don't like Lexy there will be plenty of other games to choose from down the road with updated graphics/etc.... if all goes as planned

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I love the P3 system and have been following it closely over the past 4 or 5 years. Played it a ton. but can't justify the 10k price tag. The game swapping ability is awesome, but now highway also has that option. just a larger playfield to swap but much cheaper 6.5k.

I didn't realize highway was going swsppable as well. So a base game is 6.5k and then the kits to swap are around 3 to 4K? I like the swappabke model-- however I'm agreeing that swapping and storing whole Playfields can be a pia for those with limited space.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

you silly man

Ok ok break it up haha. I'm open to all opinions on here - neg or positive and I'm not going to deny that the reason there aren't more negative comments is because many collectors (right now) may not be interested. It could be niche or they may hit a homer. I think this game could be particularity intersting to operators..
Easy maintenance, swap games super quickly, and it's appealing to kids and people who would not normally approach pinball

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Are they going to have a Multimorphic P3 at the 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show?
I am intrigued by the virtual/physical hybrid concept. However, in looking at the P3 website and watching the videos and such, and it just doesn't look very appealing to me. That having been said, I read a fair amount of positive comments from people that have played it, so I don't want to dismiss it based on the images and videos I've seen. So, hopefully, I can play one soon to see what it is really like.

Maybe if NWpinball really pushes the promotions/venders this year he can convince Gerry to come up but right now my impression is that they probably won't make it. Gerry seemed convinced on another thread though that we should see a number of them in the wild next year so hopefully there's one closeby. Otherwise, if I get the preorder call and decide to go for it you can come play it once it arrives

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Andrew has said that playfield-only game kits will be around 60% of a new game. For Alien standard, that puts the kit at $3870. On the other hand Gerry has estimated that additional games for the P3 will cost around $1500 for the simpler games to $2500 for more complex games.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, highways kits are around 3500 to 4k and fully drop in ready.

Hmmm I guess I need to do some research -- I'm confused as to if they are available at this time or not? If not -- both #'s are just estimates so it will be interesting to see where they actually land, especially with the 3rd party element thrown into the P3 mix. It's hard to price something like that I would think, as dev time will still be significant and it's unknown what the relative sales will yield back. I am interested to see if a modding community will grow out of the P3 -- I am thinking that at least owners would have access to code of say, lexy, so that they could make tweaks?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

You can change the lower 2/3. The lower 2/3 of the playfield is made up of lower and middle playfield modules which can be swapped very easily. They slide in and out of the game over the top of the large LCD, see the video I posted above for a demonstration of this.

That is so cool -- not sure how I have missed this until now. That's pretty much infinite combinations.. maybe there will be a few standard lowers from multi and those get integrated into many different games. Sweet! I think I've pretty much switched from 90% to 100% in on this. Bye bye ACDC.. gonna take a gamble

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

They are not yet available. Right now $15K buys you a nice Full Throttle and a couple Full Throttle drop-in kits. Everyone is eagerly awaiting Alien, but Heighway buyers haven't yet realized those cost savings on kits.

What do you mean by "couple full throtttle drop in kits"? Is there more than one option? I'm into the idea and totally supportive of new companies.. but heighway has yet to grab me with one of their themes. I played a couple of full throttle games this year at our NW expo and for some reason it really reminds me of the Sega pinballs... the art is not enticing to me. There's probably a lot going on but I dunno.. the whole system doesn't draw me in though, minus the lift-up glass.

**edit** just watched the swap video on heighway -- pretty fast, but not comparable to P3 in my opinion.. I have nearly thrown my back out moving whole playfields around.. I hate pulling them out -- with the exception of GB which was Waaaay easier and lighter than any other I have done. The Stern Spike system made it a lot easier to pull out playfields... which makes me wonder if Stern might look into copying the competition and implementing playfield swapping as well. Probably not.. but with only a couple cords to disconnect it really makes it quick and easy.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

No, I mean that Heighway has not released its second game yet, so you can't yet get the benefit of multiple kits.

Got'cha -- have not been following them too close. For some reason I was thinking they had a title out before full throttle ha! Guess I'm cut off for tonight

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

My own question: would the game still function if you put a polycarbonate overlay over the screen where there was printed art on the back but peekaboo cutouts to the screen below?

Yeah I was also thinking about this the other day, not for art overlays (cool idea though) but for being able to use small screws to secure rails, ramps, ball guides, etc over the video display. Adding art would be even cooler.. what about rollover switches that are on the display with key lines done on the poly overlay to create a 3D effect? I like your idea Aaron!

#75 7 years ago

Good points wolfmarsh. I am picturing building some kind of storage box for the p3 modules. I wonder if they have already thought about this issue st either company and are looking to either sell a solution or have designed smartly so it's easy to sit them somewhere without damage. *edit, just noticed that full throttle uses those full length rails -- very nice for some protection

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So you don't like video pinball and you don't like the mechanical part, so, what kind of pinball do you like? And it appears that you have never played it, so, accordingly, I place zero value on your opinion, but thanks for sharing it . . .

Haha! I think he was referring to the way the flippers/slings work maybe rather than a general statement about pinballs

There's a lot of interaction with the on screen video so I think it's fair that this won't be everyone's cup of tea.. it's closer to a video game than anything previous minus virtual machines. Of course that's lexy.. future games with other modules could potentially have much less and use it differently -- optical illusions? Moving backgrounds for modes, or movie quality graphics

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

The issue for me is that you don't have physical interaction with targets on the screen like you do with say bumpers. It's virtual with the ball rolling over.
For example, you can not do Hobbit style pop up targets on the playfield due to the screen. They would have to be virtual targets. You also would not be able to do a Big Lebowski style lower playfield. Again, it would have to be virtual. This pushes things toward video game aspects rather than physical pinball.

You do have interaction with bumpers if you put in a module. No you can't have mechs dropped into the Playfield over the screen I could see s new design where they go up with something floating over the screen to hold the mech.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

We really need to get further down the road with Multimorphic before we find out exactly how the market will embrace their model and how they will be involved in the new market they create.

Zitt I think you are absolutely right -- all just guessing now.. 2017 should bring a few answers or clearer pictures. Fun to toss around ideas though.

Quoted from Zitt:

I'm fairly sure I remember Gerry saying in a seminar that they wanted to have some kind of partnership with third party developers to ensure the modules meet some standard. I think it was more of a making sure modules don't "damage" existing machines.

It would make a lot of sense (at least against current models of similar concepts) to have a module/game store open at the Multimorphic website. I am still hoping that users will have access to say, lexy code, and be able to add additional features to the software or adjust colors, add graphics, etc... I don't know how feasible this is if there is a concern about uploading code that could potentially damage the machine and then you have warranty issues as well (although we all know warranty on pins doesn't usually cover much, and the lifespan is pretty limited).

It's very true that 3rd party dev. will rule out a lot of potential developers if it's on them to design, create, and manufacture units themselves. I am hoping that there's a couple 3rd parties that have some capital and experience to be successful though, at least at first. I suspect it will take at least until Mutli's next being released. Speaking of which -- what happened to cosmic kart racing? Is that still in the works?

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

That said, because the system is open, designers could develop software only games that utilize existing hardware layouts. P3 is shipping with a separate mini-game that uses the Lexy upper playfield. Designers would have the ability to piggyback off of other playfield designs and just design new graphics, rules, etc. This would eliminate the production aspect of physically building a playfield module.

Yeah -- actually if you can eliminate most 3rd party module development and leave it on Gerry to create a library swappaple modules and mechs, than developers can mix and match to create their game and they become responsible only for the coding, graphics, and sound. That makes it waaay nicer for 3rd parties, possibly for those interested in homebrew that have a lot of coding exp.. but it could draw in a few video game developers / studios at that point as well for a small side project. I think the hardware is there to run something pretty sophisticated graphic-wise. Give it to a game studio, and let them go wild. It would be interesting to see the outcome.

#109 7 years ago

Cheeks -- yeah that totally makes sense, good to know thanks!

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

As far as money to 'absorb that', just throwing out some numbers, but lets say there are 1000 P3s out there, and just 25% bought a new game and lets say the developer pockets $500 per game

I really hope that the numbers of P3's get up there.. based on this pole (I'm assuming a pretty small sample size) and Gerry mentioning the list is pretty long on another thread, it seems like the # of orders could be in the 50 - 300 range to throw a number out. And some of those will drop out once asked for money. I think it will take several great games and a proven model to get the numbers of P3's closer to 1000+. Not saying it won't happen.. just crossing my fingers. Since a huge point of the p3 is the new game swaps, I'd gander that at least 50% of owners would pay for the new game if there were only 1 or 2 a year produced.

#122 7 years ago

I haven't looked -- I'm assuming the lexy module has art on it? If you reuse it for a different theme I guess that just stays on?

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a $200 video game system. It's $10,000. It will only become a player when there's a must have GAME.

Yeah you're probably right - to get a lot of demand & sales. And when that game comes, the swapability and other available titles makes it that much more appealing.. instead of $10k for 1 game as other companies are edging closer to (or well over that gap). I am betting on a 3rd party dev to pull it off.. or multimorphic possibly after they have manufactured for some of the demand. I am still very excited about Lexy though and messing around with the system in the mean time, and what they will bring forward in 2017 & 2018.

#142 7 years ago

Just finishing up watching Gerry's presentation at TPF that I somehow missed until now. Answered some questions that have come up on this thread I think, in case not everyone has seen it:

This just really reinforced my excitement about the system. A removable plastic piece over the LCD acts as the PF surface and is easily removed and replaced in under a minute.. which means I think you could totally rest posts/supports on top of it or potentially screw them in shallowly to a pf surface for a specific set-up.

I hadn't realized how truely modular this thing is, with different button config's possible, flipper system just sliding out in 10 seconds..AND not only how modular it is but how quickly/easily these parts & pieces can be swapped. This is awesome engineering and design -- so smart! I think the only thing missing that I would like is the ability to pull the glass off vertically like Alien/FT.

Also he talks about the shops set-up for custom games/content, and that everything would be vetted by P3 which was expected I guess but does limit some custom stuff unless it was shared quietly between hobbyists.. which makes me wonder how that works.. if you develop something on your machine what stops you from sending the software portion to another P3 owner and them running what you created? I love the idea of getting to try new content from the shop on trial periods before requiring a full purchase.. and it's cool how the game selection menu pops up on the screen and you select from available games you might have purchased.

#143 7 years ago

Also checked out the unity store for assets as Gerry mentions.. there are a TON of assets, although it appears that a lot of the packs cost $$ kinda like apps I suppose. I wonder if anyone on here has worked with unity and understands the complexity level of taking these asset packs and turning them into something usable? How hard is it? is it all done somehow within unity or through something like python code?

#146 7 years ago

Thanks Zitt !! Good to know -- and that simmer app is awesome! Gonna have to do some reading about unity - my understanding of how software/game engines work is pretty limited

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I asked the guys about that when the P3 came up to Pintastic and they indicated that most of the user-configurable difficulty settings were on their most liberal values for demo purposes.

And with the ability to have profiles and set different difficulties for each player I imagine it won't be an issue.. unless you're good enough to crush the expert settings

1 week later
#154 7 years ago

Was looking thru pinball controllers forum and Just noticed that Gerry was looking at opening up an early release nearly 2 years ago for dev tools. Even without a physical machine If just s couple of the early devs got something good going on id expect to see done 3rd party dev games out not too soon after production machines show up to early owners

2 weeks later
#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Man... I was over at Gerry's this afternoon shootin' the sh1t and talking about pinball when he shows me some of the new P3 projects he's working on... I'm sweared to secrecy... so can't give any details; but there is one game based upon Canyon Lagoon's PF that is funking fun!
Lexy's a good game... but it's "pinball" which to me is great... but is missing a certain social component as you can only really ridicule the person playing while you watch. I'm just not a good enough player to really stack up against anyone on Lexy; so I'm always getting my arse kicked. Canyon is a good game; but again - I can't make the shots very well. Skill issue again.
This new game; I was having a blast... I must have played a dozen or so times because he added a social aspect to gameplay I've only seen in one other game.
He showed me a couple of the other early titles his team is working on... I gotta say that this round of new games is defiantly pushing the Pinball machine in new directions! This game and his innovation are really starting to show in the newer games. I hope that his team makes his self imposed deadline this march... and I'm sure many of you will be surprised at Multimorphic's ingenuity.
I wasn't sure from the conversation how many of these games are third parties and how much is "in house"; but however they are being made is really a good thing.

Yeeesss! Glad to hear an update -- Thanks for sharing this Zitt that is awesome to hear! My ACDC luci has been up for sale this month in order to get the $$ for Lexy.. I am hoping that these hit production sometime 1st Q 2017 -- is that the "self-imposing march deadline" that you speak of? I hadn't heard any hard deadlines yet. Wish I knew how many people were on the pre-order list (and how many will go thru with their order when it comes up).. I am kicking myself for not getting on the list when the offer came up for the 5 games as it sounds like having that cannon lagoon Playfield would be a good idea with this new game you speak of.

1 month later
#161 7 years ago

Anyone following this thread get a preorder call yet? Game in production soon? I'm low on the list and outside the 2nd production run but hopeful for a call maybe in 3 months? Hoping production goes smooth-- love to see one of these at the nw show this year

#163 7 years ago

Yep -- that's why I'm asking people on 1st run should already have $$ in and second runners should be making arrangements I believe.

#166 7 years ago

Ah man-- so regretting not getting on that pre order list so much sooner. I do kind of wonder if people wait to buy or a lot of pre orders drop out if there could be some kind of deal or price drop to promote sales a bit down the road after some p3s are produced but while Lexi and lagoon are the only Game options or if there will be bundling packages savings offered on multiple games.

My understanding right now is that dev of commercial 3rd party games will be vetted and sold thu multimorphic to ensure it won't break your machine which makes sense. I assumed/possibly heard? though that an owner would have access to a dev kit and be able to (at their own risk) develop their own games or possibly play with game code on existing games? The latter is what's particularly interesting to me so I hope this is true.

I pretty sure it's Ben mentioned that the platform was built to handle future games and more demanding resources, and given the swapability of every other part of the machine it would only make sense that the computer could be upgraded unless its built to handle quite a bit more than what we've seen so far

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

When we first went public with the P3, we declared our intention to open
source all of our original-themed games. We also described the platform as
"open platform", which meant that we would provide all of the low level
libraries, documentation, and machine specs necessary for somebody to
develop their own playfield modules and apps that would work in/on the P3.
I'm proud to say we remain steadfast in those decisions.

Sweet!! Good to know.

For those that were on that preorder It certainly does seem like a big downgrade and bummer to go from kart racing to lagoon.. lagoon looks fun but not hours and hours of fun, just too simple. I'm guessing that someone could take it to the next level with more coding and possibly re theme? I wonder if we'll see any rethemes down the road with existing modules like lagoon or
Lexy.

Still.. 5 games and 2 modules is better than just 1 module / game if you don't cash in on the pre order spot

#174 7 years ago

solarvalue thanks for sharing that letter! Very interesting and awesome of multimorphic to honor the original deal announcement even when there wasn't any money involved. I also appreciate Gerrys communication -- it's always professional, thorough, and prompt. If ccr also made it out this year that would be fantastic!

1 month later
#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I just paid in full for mine with the CCR option. This looks to be a huge success and I'm very excited about future modules. Great job Multimorphic!

Nice! I'm full in as well with same option, excited to see gameplay of ccr when it comes. Be interesting to see the baseball theme this month as well

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm one of the founding people who jumped on back when the P3 was a bunch of PVC and tech demos. Really excited to see this coming to form shortly.

Good on you man, that's a long ride!

I wish I could make it to Texas this month, but already had vacation plans that weekend. Hope to catch some good videos from the show.. I have yet to play it, but the concept has me hooked

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Will you have yours by the NW Pinball Show? People ask if one will be there each year. Bring it!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

I wish! I'd bring it if I had it, but prob early august at the earliest I think.. late July if there's no delays in production but we know how that goes..

#186 7 years ago

Cl looks fun, but the longevity didn't seem to be there for me and the price point unfortunately a little high for me to think about buying it alone.. unless someone makes a killer game off the module then I may have to rethink it.

#189 7 years ago

PinballShoppe --$2k in bitcoin a year ago is worth $10k+ now??! Or is that the monero? Had to look those first two up, never even heard of them. That's a nice profit!

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

The CL playfield is a panacea for developers...

Yeah it's pretty open to interpretations.. dammit prob gonna have to buy it eventually plus the iterations..lol I'm very very curious to see what kind of price points the 3rd party games for existing modules come in at

1 week later
#199 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Good luck to Gerry and the crew at TPF! Everybody please post your reviews, pics and videos of the new games.

2nd this -- really looking forward to seeing the first third party game revealed and some gameplay video

Also, I can't remember, does anyone know if the development kit is shipped as part the the p3 package? I was assuming so, but given that you could potentially screw hardware up I wasn't sure how that would be handled.. maybe it's been mentioned before and I forgot already?

2 weeks later
#202 7 years ago

Anyone get notice they have a game getting prepped for shipping out? Wondering if they will go out 1 at a time or if they'll finish up the remainder 12 games, test, and ship all at once

2 weeks later
#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

My game ships in June

Thanks for the update, any info is awesome to hear, esp. when it's positive!

Any idea what machine you are getting (in terms of the queue). June would be part of the first run?

3 weeks later
#207 6 years ago

Any predictions when new website drops with dev kits available? When first customer game ships? Gotta be any day now I keep thinking

3 weeks later
#211 6 years ago

Just played my first games on lexy -- quite a difference from watching videos! I am liking it -- first impressions were:

I like the 3 button per side for mode changes and lane changes- although will take a little getting used to.

At first you keep wanting to look up at head for score info, but get used to looking down instead and I really like being able to see it while playing. Also the screen sits there telling you to launch ball at your ball start which seems counter-intuitive since a ball never physically pops out into the shooter lane that you can see- takes some getting used to

The flippers have a different feel to them, but are very snappy and strong -- coming from dialed in I really liked how much stronger they feel!

The Playfield is awesome! It's kind of errily dark when the game is off- I'd only seen pictures and video when it was on. But standing in front of it playing is really freaking cool -- the animations and the way t comes to life.

Lexy is fun -- very good job on this game making it clear what shots you need to hit and what you are supposed to be doing - which the Playfield screen is super integrated into - great job using it in that aspect. I noticed less pf/ball interaction and a lot more use of it for information.

Good sound system! Scoop system is as cool as it looks in videos. Everything works great!

Thanks to gstellenberg for getting this up here and to pinballbulbs for hosting it at the nw show! Gonna get some more games in tomorrow before it gets crowded

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

This, "I thought I got it before, now I *really* get it" was my experience when I first played a P3 prototype that was running early Lexy code at Expo two years ago. I joined the dev team a few months later...and I'm not sure why it took me that long!

-- yeah I think it's just impossible to convey the true playing experience by watching a video

#215 6 years ago

Some pics

IMG_3825 (resized).JPGIMG_3825 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPGIMG_3827 (resized).JPG

IMG_3829 (resized).JPGIMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3832 (resized).JPGIMG_3832 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#216 6 years ago

Any first production runners heard their games are on the way? Been quiet this last month

#219 6 years ago

Nice!!! Didn't expect it in a tourney so soon that's awesome!

#222 6 years ago

I've seen some long balls on it for sure, although it just seems to kick my ass most of the time. The slings could be powered up a bit more and the respawns for sure should be off in tournaments it seems like.

Good to hear it continues to hold up. Seems like they are still trying to get a lot of actual playtime on the production models and tweaking before calling them good to go out to owners.. which is a good thing.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Seeing gameplay for first time today on bat city stream. Everything looks very cool except that two thirds of the playfield is empty save for the flippers and slingshots. Does it get boring to shoot the same short ramps and orbits over and over?

Couple things I noticed from watching the stream --

You're really missing out on a fantastic audio package.
Colors on LCD are washed out -- much more vibrant in person.

As for the lower 2/3, Gerry has talked about this before but there's two things to mention here.
1) a lot of games pretty much have a similar setup - world poker tour or sopranos come to mind as immediate examples but it's more common than anyone would suspect to have most Playfield features in or near the upper 1/3. Still super fun, just longer shots so you need to be accurate. I never found it boring.

2) you're aiming for stuff on the LCD too -- collecting bugs for frenzy, the crates break open and you shoot parts, etc. also there's the 4 side targets.

#229 6 years ago

That would be awesome if someone figures it out!! I've thought about suspended magnet modules as I'm sure others have.

Quoted from solarvalue:

One more thing:
3. The system supports the placement of elements in the lower 2/3 of the playfield - some future games will no doubt take advantage of this.

-- very true! I just left it out as I was responding more to Lexi layout, but I can't wait to see some other modules!

For the upper 1/3 of Lexi:

Far left is orbit around to 3 pops that are on the far right. There are maybe 5 targets behind them that the pops throw ball into. Lights seem to change color for targets depending on # of hits, I never figured out what it meant though maybe score for target hit? In front of pops is a hole ball falls into. Another ball is fed to right or left wire form then.

There's a large mech that all the balls feed to under the module -- the trough essentially I believe (no trough up front like a typical pin)

Mid left shot feeds the saucer. Either locks balls or rotates them back into play. You can lock up to 8, but you can choose to play agent mb with as many balls as you have locked when you choose to start it.

Center targets function varies but when not in a mode usually for killing 1 of 8? aliens. 1 shot lights briefly for a kill shot, otherwise it takes a number of target hits to kill alien.

Next shot moving right goes into the pops. Can come out or go into that hole.

Couple targets, then tight 180 scoop shot that relights modes or acts as s jackpot shot (among other things). Flips ball up to right wire form back to flipper like potc.

Far right is scoop hole -- starts modes as main function.

I think that sums the upper 1/3 mechs?

(Edit-- left side has a return loop to left wire form as well via saucer shot, trough quickly kicks one up sometimes.)

#230 6 years ago

Was awesome getting to hear Gerry live today on the twitch explaining rules and such -- just happened to check in at the right time

#235 6 years ago

How long can you go back to rewatch a twitch stream? I thought they were kinda over if you didn't catch them live? (Or within a few hours?)

Regarding art package feedback on Lexy -- kinda interesting because Lexy was all done by a consultant team, not really in-house designers. But fair to say that we should see a lot of variation between 3rd party devs, in- house team, and contract developers.

I do wonder about the ball trail -- heard that comment before about lag. Is that software not being able to keep up or hardwAre, or the way the dectection is working?

The Outlane post adjustments were really well done - on par with a lot of the engineering on the p3

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

it would be cool to have an overhead camera and an extra LCD in the backbox

I'm hoping for this as well -- at least a backbox LCD for home so other players can be more involved. Right now it's awesome for the person playing, but unless you're watching from the side of the game it's hard to see what's going on and impossible to see scores.

Quoted from Zitt:

Once they have shipped an good base of games; then we'll see more interest in the platform.

I think both from developers and players/potential additional customers.. it's been a long proto to production time but it has potential to go far in the next few years

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I'm interested in P3 as a developer, but I'd have to know a lot more, like how much I'd make per game sold, and I'd have to see a substantial market or an advance before I'd devote serious resources to it

So far multimorphic has stated that 3rd party games would put pricing in the hands of the dev I believe. I don't think the interest is to take a huge money grab from devs but to get a good game library going. They will work with devs to insure the game won't cause issues on the platform and get it up on the website for sale.

The catch22 in the beginning is that some devs want s proven base market but the base market will be partly driven by availability of new titles. Of course there are the early adopters.. but my guess is that at least the first few 3rd party games may be made by hobbyists. There are for sure a few owners in the first production runs looking to make their own games.. hopefully some of these get shared. I'd love to see an unofficial free exchange of little mini games that people are tinkering with for fun.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Does anyone have news about production from the Bat City event? Anyone talk to Gerry? I would love to know what's been happening over the past couple of months. Happy to wait until the next monthly update if there is one coming up.

I heard during one of the streams -- someone who played had a ball get stuck and Gerry or someone from multimorphic was discussing how to fix it it sounded like. Based on that, seems like they may be a couple weeks out still from shipping first run? Still trying to get last kinks out and ensure a quality product is in owners hands? I'm with you though -- missing that update email where they launch the new website And release dev kit

#247 6 years ago

Latest update from 10 min ago.. I think first run games are about to ship? Second run pushed back a few weeks:

The Multimorphic production line is rolling!

We've partitioned the production floor into build-stations, where each station is responsible for one or more sub-assemblies (ie. flippers, trough, wall/scoops, side-targets, chassis, cabinet, backbox, upper playfield modules, playfield display, etc). Each sub-assembly is built, tested, and then prepared to go into a machine. When all of the sub-assemblies are ready, machines are fully assembled, last minute adjustments are made, and then machines go through a final testing procedure. No production machines have officially shipped yet, but that's about to change. For those of you in the 2nd production run, we're now looking at starting 2nd run shipments in September. If you're not a 1st or 2nd run customer but want to buy a P3, please email me to get on our list. When we have new inventory available, we'll contact you.

While production continues to ramp up, our software team is preparing our many software projects for release. Whereas traditional pinball games have a single game application, the P3 is a platform machine that requires a whole suite of applications and tools. The P3 is set up similarly to other multi-application devices, like tablets and mobile phones, on which applications can be selected from an application list (manually or automatically). So on the machine itself, there's an application-launching menu and a bunch of apps. All machines will have a diagnostics app, a system management app, and the Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth game app. Additional apps will be available as add-on purchases (though many of you have taken advantage of promotional offers to get certain add-on games for free). When new apps are installed, they'll become available in the application list. You won't need to reinstall software every time you want to swap games.

In addition to the apps running on the P3, we're developing Multimorphic-internal tools for building and managing installable application packages (similar to mobile app store back-end systems). Suffice it to say, we're laying the groundwork for a comprehensive P3 ecosystem, including support for 3rd-party game development, testing, and deployment.

A few weeks ago I promised a new website and customer support portal, and unfortunately we're a little behind schedule on that. We're still working on content for our online-store and fine-tuning the design of the customer support portal; so it'll be a little longer before the site goes live. In the meantime, you can still visit http://www.multimorphic.com to read about the P3 on our old site, and of course you can contact me directly at any time.

The P3 with Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth was used for the first time in a PAPA circuit event last weekend (the Bat City Open, hosted by Buffalo Billiards in Austin, TX). It was played throughout the weekend and also used in the finals. The final match was streamed on twitch (LL-EE coverage starts at 5:32:00) here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154325603. I did commentary when they played LL-EE. The machine and game seemed to perform very well most of the weekend, though players did encounter a couple of issues. The one serious mechanical issue encountered (balls getting stuck in the ship entrance - this happened twice over the course of the tournament) is being fixed in production machines, some game logic is being tweaked as a result of the tournament play, and one software glitch is currently being debugged. We had three other machines in the free play area. Two were running Heads Up, and the other was running Cannon Lagoon. Overall it was a fantastic weekend. We enjoyed being part of it, and we appreciate the interest and enthusiasm for the P3 and LL-EE.

In June, a P3 was hosted by Mark Montecalvo in the Pinball Bulbs booth at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show. In July, a P3 will be available for play at Pintastic in Sturbridge, MA in Allan Davidson's Ardvark Pinball Repair and Restoration booth. Huge thanks to Mark and Allan for hosting, servicing, and promoting the machines. We've been able to successfully build a company around the P3 vision in large part because of the passion and support of the pinball community, and we remain incredibly grateful.

Please excuse me now while I call the freight company to discuss pickup schedules for new P3s!

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

so a production run is currently ... 8 machines ??

Yes -- first run (for customers). Second was 50 or so I think? But those are ordered ones.. they want to then build up inventory. This isn't stern pinball.. it's a small company attempting to compete with a product that many in the hobby are not entirely comfortable with yet -- being as different and innovative as it is.

But 5 years coming, getting these in customers hands is huge and once any remaining links are worked out of production means multimorphic can focus more energy on software and website dev along with sales rather than engineering on the platform

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

If I remember correctly, the first production run is 20 machines. Of these, the first 8 have been retained by Multimorphic for testing and promotional purposes. So, the remaining 12 must be just about to ship to customers.

True -- you're right I got the #s backwards

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Are you in the first run cheeks? It's going to be fun to see these puppies get delivered.

Yes is anyone planning on doing an unboxing thread?? i would love to know when one finally lands in someone's home.. so close now. Also hoping to move discussion to a P3 club thread once they start shipping

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

I'm in the second batch. I'm very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time, as I will be showing a P3 in my booth at Pintastic. It's here now and is the one that DaveH mentioned. I can't believe how much fun this game is! I bought it because I was blown away by all of the innovation. I wasn't expecting Lexy Lightspeed to be as much fun as it is. The flippers are lightning fast. Slap saves can be a blur and you still save the ball. Of course, there a few minor issues that are being ironed out, but overall, the build quality is excellent. I'm very glad I got in when I did. It's going to be difficult to part with it after the Pintastic, but of course I'll get my production game later this year.
Speaking of Pintasic, stop by the Ardvark Pinball Repair booth if you'd like to play a few games. I'd be happy to explain things and answer questions.
Allan

Dang -- just realized I'm going to be heading to Boston airport on the 9th from Portland Maine, could have stopped by pintastic for a few hours but it doesn't run on Sunday? Bummer.. probably have a couple hours to kill as our flights not until late afternoon I think.

My experience with ll was that it became more fun the more I played -- of course you can't really predict how long novelty and replayability will be on a game but that's hardly a concern then again, with the modularity of P3. I'm really intrigued to try the profiles and set difficulty as well as team play. I have been pondering a mod as well that would swing the outlane adjustment posts based on software difficulty setting (stepper motor or servo and gearing involved) so you could be playing 2 players easy and hard and between balls it could adjust the posts for the next player.. no idea how feasible but damn it would be cool esp in homes

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Don't know if this has been posted here, Pinball Profile episode 53 with Gerry.
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-53-gerry-stellenberg-p3-pinball-from-multimorphic_108552

Nice!! Thanks for sharing @imharrow.

Also linking back to Gerrys response to the review by @frax:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-bat-city-open-a-papa-circuit-event/page/2#post-3850794

#266 6 years ago

Toyguy thanks for the review! I was surprised that you were possibly the only person to mention lexy in the pintastic thread. Crazy! I was bummed to see the production bump to sept but was kind of expecting it to come.. oh well at least I'll be enjoying the sunshine for another month

I agree about the backglass art - it's weird that it is washed out.. don't know if they could adjust this for 2nd run? It should be way more vibrant... whatever's causing the problem.

The buttons - at first felt a little far but got used to it after a few games.

#273 6 years ago

damn -- saw 5 new posts and thought maybe 1st runners were given dates for shipment or something. Maybe tomorrow..

18 million?! Wth that's a pretty great score from what I've seen -- did you get a high count multiball going or something?

If it shut off because of a glitch before you entered your high score I know that Gerry is aware of this happening. I saw it at the nw show, although a full power cycle seemed to fix it.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Just a heads up that I confirmed with Gerry that run #1 is active and absolutely not delayed to September. That reference was indeed referring to run #2.

Yes -- sorry for the confusion, I just referred to sept. Because I'm in that run. Excited for you first runners though

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

The team is aware of the issues with the translite print. New samples are are in transit in from from the printer that will hopefully address the issue. Rest assured that this will be resolved.

Sweet!! Glad to hear it.

Regarding JJP -- in addition to the hurdles mentioned, multimorphic has the patents too so they would have to try and license or figure out a different way to track the ball.. for now and the near future I think the P3 will probably be the only way to experience this. Hopefully it continues to draw people in

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I'd been thinking the ball times were rather long at Pintastic so I emailed Gerry to ask about that. He confirmed for me that there were the usual adjustments for things like outlane post positions. He also said they've been demonstrating the machines with mode-start ball savers turned on but those can be turned off in the settings. He indicated the game can be set very brutal That made me happy.

Yeah -- for good/excellent players the show settings seem a bit lax I'd agree with that. But I must just suck cause I never felt like I had crazy long ball times although I saw others with them.

For sure a lot of adjustments available though -- including what I'm really looking fwd to -- player profiles with difficulty settings setup for each. So awesome for games with different player abilities in home environments

1 week later
#284 6 years ago

No shipping dates given out yet huh?

1 week later
#286 6 years ago

It's official as of 1 minute ago --production 1 games are shipping !! Pics of first customer getting his game I believe. Who is it???

#287 6 years ago

IMG_4549 (resized).PNGIMG_4549 (resized).PNG

IMG_4550 (resized).PNGIMG_4550 (resized).PNG

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

That's awesome news!
Will this game go into a larger production?

Depends on what you mean by "larger" ..

First run was very small - 12 shipping I think plus 8 they kept. 2nd run sold out at something like 50 or 75 units? Beyond that they should start to build up stock for purchase. Never will go out the door at stern quantities but this is a comparatively very small company

1 week later
#290 6 years ago

Ok -- who's holding out here? Someone has to have a shipping date or have a game on the way?

I realized I've never heard any of the call outs due to loudness of shows and they weren't added when Gerry did his couple gameplay vids -- anyone know of a good vid with some of the call outs being audible?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-lexy-et-al-whos-in?tu=mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.