• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 29 votes
    13%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 37 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brijam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#233 6 years ago

I got to play several games at the PNW Pinball show. Overall I was impressed with the engineering and the cleverness of making pinball playable on a massive monitor. Well done.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what gets done with this platform. There is a /lot/ of potential there.

So I hope that my candid feedback can be taken in that spirit.

The art styles on Lexy were inconsistent, ranging from crisp 3d renderings to hand drawn, to pixelated closeups. Pick a theme and stick with it.

Perhaps consider test marketing the names for your games. For me, when I see the word Lightspeed, I expect stars and space. So the visuals didn't relate to the theme. I was confused that it all seems to take place on the ground - I didn't even /see/ that the subtitle is "escape from earth" so I didn't relate to it. Escape From Earth is a kickass name. Lexy Lightspeed, at least for me, meh.

The ball trails in smoke are an interesting idea, but the lag between the actual ball and the screen draw is very jarring. It needs to be exactly as the ball goes across, or IMO it should be dropped. The smoke effect is also not consistent with the other art.

The overall art package doesn't draw one in like Dialed In, Houdini, or most new Sterns do. I think the lack of a DMD or LCD on the backbox is the reason - there is nothing /moving/ on the backbox to draw your attention. From a distance it makes the machine look wrong/broken/boring.

I really like the idea that third parties can develop titles for the platform. I think this is a smart move. With deep respect, the company has a strength in engineering but not art. Either focus on engineering and let third party artists and designers loose on your platform, or bring in an experienced art director. Or why not both?

I wish you massive success. I'm looking forward to seeing the other incarnations on this platform.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Developers do not flock to an unknown platform where there are may be small numbers of platforms available. With Xbox, PSone, etc... there are millions of units out there to get paying customers.

I would be wary of comparing the pinball industry with the video game console industry.

But to run with the comparison for a minute... Halo was originally supposed to be a game for the PC. But Microsoft paid Bungie $10mm to make Halo an Xbox-only title. Microsoft knew they didn't have the chops in-house to win over gamers. Halo made the system a must-have for gamers.

Quoted from Zitt:

When it comes to the P3; Multimorphic HAS to build games which demonstrate the technology.. He has to build enough of a customer base to make it enticing enough for third party developers. This is what I believe you are seeing here - Building technological, but playable demos that enable a test bed for developers to start with.

Oh, is building a technology demo their market strategy? I didn't know that. So they're trying to attract developers and not sell pinball machines at this time? That changes everything.

As a developer, I see so much potential in their platform. But right now I only know that as an (incredibly small time) operator, I wouldn't buy their platform (solely based on Lexy). On the other hand, I /want/ a Houdini.

Quoted from Mbecker:

I'm hoping for this as well -- at least a backbox LCD for home so other players can be more involved. Right now it's awesome for the person playing, but unless you're watching from the side of the game it's hard to see what's going on and impossible to see scores.

Having dynamic player info right on the playfield is one of the things I like most about the P3 platform. JJP machines, at least Hobbit and TWOZ, suffer from too much player info on those massive backbox LCDs and not enough callouts. Heck, I've scored nearly 900k on the Hobbit and I still have almost no clue what I was doing.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No, please don't put my words in their mouth.
Its the way *I* see it; not necessarily their business model.

No worries. I didn't mean it that way, I just know nothing about the company.

Quoted from Zitt:

Why is Houdini better than Lexy?

Well... the art style is more polished and consistent. I'd put Houdini up against any Stern or Bally/Williams on art. The toys on Houdini are the nicest I've seen on any pinball machine, period. I don't recall any toys on Lexy, except the wheel, which I didn't think fit the art style and seemed to lack detail. The music, sound effects and callouts on Houdini I found more fun and compelling. The shots on Houdini are more interesting, and I felt that the ruleset was much deeper. And the across-the-playfield throw of the ball into the magic trunk was astounding and cool. It had a flow, and I wanted to play it again. It's a pin I want to buy. But to be fair, I thought the LCD animations/art on Houdini were a little weak.

As far as pure innovation goes, the P3 blows Houdini away. There's no question. But as a pin that I want to play or buy, right now it falls short.

Houdini, for me, looks and plays exactly like a great Stern or JJP. That's why I want one right now.

Quoted from Zitt:

Houdini IMHO; has too much bad history for me to "invest" in that company.

I think if I were to base my pin buying on bad history that I'd heard from a pinhead or read about on Pinside I'd never buy a pin again.

Quoted from Zitt:

For *ME*; the P3 is the platform I want to design my game#2 on ... just too much potential there.

I'm interested in P3 as a developer, but I'd have to know a lot more, like how much I'd make per game sold, and I'd have to see a substantial market or an advance before I'd devote serious resources to it. But I'd /love/ to design a pinball game, or do the art direction on one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brijam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-lexy-et-al-whos-in?tu=brijam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.