• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 28 votes
    12%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 36 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(229 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg

There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Pinfest? I'd like to play first before I consider pulling the trigger on this. Anyone?

Quoted from gstellenberg:

Shows after April of this year are a maybe. We'd love to have machines at all of them. If you run a show and want a P3 there, please contact me. If you know the people who run shows you're attending, please have them contact me.
When we ship a lot more machines, I expect we'll have a presence at most shows. Until then, we'll need to talk about it.
- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

2 weeks later
#202 2 years ago

Anyone get notice they have a game getting prepped for shipping out? Wondering if they will go out 1 at a time or if they'll finish up the remainder 12 games, test, and ship all at once

2 weeks later
#203 2 years ago

I went to their manufacturing plant to try out the new linked one on one match. It's reminiscent of linked NBA Fastbreak - very fun AND challenging. Gerry and his team are very talented. He is bringing new ideas to pinball. He is also doing a good job of controlling his costs which are important to stay in the game until name recognition and sales allow you to scale production. My game ships in June. I'll report on the 'fun factor' when I get it.

Added over 2 years ago: Actually, production starts in June/July and I should receive mine in Aug/Sept

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I went to their manufacturing plant

Any pics or update on how manufacturing is going?

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

My game ships in June

Thanks for the update, any info is awesome to hear, esp. when it's positive!

Any idea what machine you are getting (in terms of the queue). June would be part of the first run?

#206 2 years ago

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. He has the back half of a 10,000 foot manufacturing center. He had a couple developers writing code and he had, perhaps 5 units in various stages of production that day. I paid in full for my pin. My understanding is production will begin in June/July and I should get my pin in late summer/early fall. I do not think paying a deposit or paying in full makes any difference where you fall in line. Gerry and gang are hard core fans/hobbyists of pinball, so a lot of the work is still being done pro bono with the plan that people get paid once production at scale occurs. He seems to have a firm grip on costs, something I haven't seen with Dutch pinball.

3 weeks later
#207 2 years ago

Any predictions when new website drops with dev kits available? When first customer game ships? Gotta be any day now I keep thinking

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Any predictions when new website drops with dev kits available? When first customer game ships? Gotta be any day now I keep thinking

Yep, been thinking it should be soon too. Gerry said that everything was delayed "a few weeks" in the last newsletter. The first run was supposed to go out in April so if "a few weeks" means 3, they should be ready by next week. I guess it depends on how significant the changes were. They may have needed time to manufacture and test new parts.

#209 2 years ago

As solar said; Gerry's update said there was a delay to address some of the issues identified during TPF.
I can't seem to find the update in my inbox or I'd post it.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

As solar said; Gerry's update said there was a delay to address some of the issues identified during TPF.
I can't seem to find the update in my inbox or I'd post it.

Ask and ye shall recieve:

A little over a month ago, we assembled the first 8 production P3s in time for the Texas Pinball Festival. Having a display with 8 machines gave us our first ever opportunity to show people our full vision... one machine, many games, endless fun! We could point to any one of the 8 machine and say it's the exact same as all of the others; it's just running a different game. Games we had running at the show were:

Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth
Cannon Lagoon
ROCs
Barnyard
Wizard
Grand Slam Rally
Heads Up!

This was the first public showing of Wizard, Grand Slam Rally, and Heads Up, all of which are fairly early in their development cycles.

Wizard is a pinball-training application that gave people a small taste of its potential to introduce players to pinball techniques, guide them through practice sessions, and score each player's proficiency. It included both onscreen instructions and video showing how particular techniques are performed, and it identified every time a known technique was successfully performed (ie. flipper passes, post passes, tap passes, cradling, etc). This app has the potential to teach beginners the basics of aiming and ball control and give experts a controlled environment for them to practice both individual techniques and combos.

Grand Slam Rally is the first P3 game developed by a 3rd party (86Pixels) using a pre-release version of our development kit. It's a pitch-and-bat style game that works with the Cannon Lagoon playfield and makes heavy use of dynamic playfield artwork and popup playfield scoops. It can 'pitch' balls out of any of 5 playfield launch locations at a variety of speeds, and it can dynamically label the shots with reward values (single, double, triple, home-run). The scoops pop up for randomly placed outs after each pitch.

Heads Up! is what we believe to be the first internet-connected physical pinball game. Two machines connect to each other over a wireless network and allow two players to battle against each other. The objectives are fairly straightforward: shoot green shots; don't shoot red shots. Green shots award points. Red shots 'teleport' your ball to the other machine, giving your opponent more opportunities to score points. It's very simple in concept but layered with strategic complexities, and it was enjoyed by men and women across all age ranges and skill levels.

Like usual, we didn't record nearly as much video as we'd hoped. When all of the games are more mature, we'll record some high definition video in a quieter setting. The following is a full game of Heads Up!. (Watching tip: Focus on just one machine for a while. Also, launches from the center lane going straight down the middle are intentional and awesome! They can be used strategically)

It was enlightening and validating talking to people about the variety of games; there was a pretty even distribution of which ones were people's favorites. The beauty of the P3 is that you can play all of the games (and many more that'll be developed in the coming years) on a single machine, thereby completely changing the value proposition of owning a pinball machine.

With TPF behind us, and having learned a great deal from the assembly of the first 8 machines, we've spent much of April identifying and tweaking things that weren't robust enough for machines going to customers. The result is we're a few weeks behind schedule on our first production run and have communicated as much to all affected customers. So far, our 2nd production run schedule is unaffected, as most of the long lead-time parts that have already been ordered don't need to change.

As we pass the assembly reigns to our contract manufacturing partner, we're able to spend more and more time on new developments. We're continuing to ramp up efforts on our highly anticipated Cosmic Cart Racing game, and we're looking to wrap up the first public release of our development kit to help others create games for the P3. We're also looking forward to releasing our new website, webstore, and customer support portal.

Thank you all for your continued support. I love hearing your suggestions and comments; please keep them coming. Also, while the machines in both of our first two production runs are going to paid customers (including many of you), we are currently maintaining a sign-up list for customers interested in buying machines from production run #3. For production run #3 we hope to move away from the build-to-order model, moving to a model where we can immediately ship from inventory. If you're on the production #3 list, we'll give you the opportunity to buy a machine before offering it to the general public. You can email me to get on this list.

2 weeks later
#211 2 years ago

Just played my first games on lexy -- quite a difference from watching videos! I am liking it -- first impressions were:

I like the 3 button per side for mode changes and lane changes- although will take a little getting used to.

At first you keep wanting to look up at head for score info, but get used to looking down instead and I really like being able to see it while playing. Also the screen sits there telling you to launch ball at your ball start which seems counter-intuitive since a ball never physically pops out into the shooter lane that you can see- takes some getting used to

The flippers have a different feel to them, but are very snappy and strong -- coming from dialed in I really liked how much stronger they feel!

The Playfield is awesome! It's kind of errily dark when the game is off- I'd only seen pictures and video when it was on. But standing in front of it playing is really freaking cool -- the animations and the way t comes to life.

Lexy is fun -- very good job on this game making it clear what shots you need to hit and what you are supposed to be doing - which the Playfield screen is super integrated into - great job using it in that aspect. I noticed less pf/ball interaction and a lot more use of it for information.

Good sound system! Scoop system is as cool as it looks in videos. Everything works great!

Thanks to gstellenberg for getting this up here and to pinballbulbs for hosting it at the nw show! Gonna get some more games in tomorrow before it gets crowded

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Just played my first games on lexy -- quite a difference from watching videos! I am liking it -- first impressions were:
I like the 3 button per side for mode changes and lane changes- although will take a little getting used to.
At first you keep wanting to look up at head for score info, but get used to looking down instead and I really like being able to see it while playing. Also the screen sits there telling you to launch ball at your ball start which seems counter-intuitive since a ball never physically pops out into the shooter lane that you can see- takes some getting used to
The flippers have a different feel to them, but are very snappy and strong -- coming from dialed in I really liked how much stronger they feel!
The Playfield is awesome! It's kind of errily dark when the game is off- I'd only seen pictures and video when it was on. But standing in front of it playing is really freaking cool -- the animations and the way t comes to life.
Lexy is fun -- very good job on this game making it clear what shots you need to hit and what you are supposed to be doing - which the Playfield screen is super integrated into - great job using it in that aspect. I noticed less pf/ball interaction and a lot more use of it for information.
Good sound system! Scoop system is as cool as it looks in videos. Everything works great!
Thanks to gstellenberg for getting this up here and to pinballbulbs for hosting it at the nw show! Gonna get some more games in tomorrow before it gets crowded

This, "I thought I got it before, now I *really* get it" was my experience when I first played a P3 prototype that was running early Lexy code at Expo two years ago. I joined the dev team a few months later...and I'm not sure why it took me that long!

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

This, "I thought I got it before, now I *really* get it" was my experience when I first played a P3 prototype that was running early Lexy code at Expo two years ago. I joined the dev team a few months later...and I'm not sure why it took me that long!

-- yeah I think it's just impossible to convey the true playing experience by watching a video

#215 2 years ago

Some pics

IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG

IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#216 2 years ago

Any first production runners heard their games are on the way? Been quiet this last month

#217 2 years ago

I'm in second batch, so no idea.
I do know that P3 will be in the BatCity pinball tourney; so It unlikely the team will be able to respond until early next week.

#218 2 years ago

https://www.neverdrains.com/batcity2017/playerIndex.php?disp=game&sel=Main

Looks like lexi lightspeed will be included in the bat city open tournament this weekend. There should be a decent amount of twitch streaming of the game assuming it handles the abuse.

EDIT: Link to twitch channel. Not sure when it'll be live
https://www.twitch.tv/batcitypinballclub

#219 2 years ago

Nice!!! Didn't expect it in a tourney so soon that's awesome!

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

Looks like lexi lightspeed will be included in the bat city open tournament this weekend. There should be a decent amount of twitch streaming of the game assuming it handles the abuse.

I hope they upload these to Youtube, I tried to watch some on Twitch but it wasn't loading properly.

Hopefully, Gerry posts an update at the end of the month, we need some more P3 action in here.

#221 2 years ago

Lexy held up reasonably well after the first day and people seem to be really enjoying it. There were a few issues will ball hang ups, but nothing that brought the game down. I had one stuck ball during my game during multiball, it was funny because I was trying to focus on continuing my game, and they were standing beside me discussing the spot, and what they should do about it .

It turns out it can be a long playing game. I heard someone mention that they think it is because the slings are set pretty gentle. You can also earn what are essentially extra balls. Which normally would be turned off.

Hopefully I will get some time on the heads up machines they have setup as well this weekend. My excitement has once again been elevated.

#222 2 years ago

I've seen some long balls on it for sure, although it just seems to kick my ass most of the time. The slings could be powered up a bit more and the respawns for sure should be off in tournaments it seems like.

Good to hear it continues to hold up. Seems like they are still trying to get a lot of actual playtime on the production models and tweaking before calling them good to go out to owners.. which is a good thing.

#223 2 years ago

Seeing gameplay for first time today on bat city stream. Everything looks very cool except that two thirds of the playfield is empty save for the flippers and slingshots. Does it get boring to shoot the same short ramps and orbits over and over?

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Seeing gameplay for first time today on bat city stream. Everything looks very cool except that two thirds of the playfield is empty save for the flippers and slingshots. Does it get boring to shoot the same short ramps and orbits over and over?

Couple things I noticed from watching the stream --

You're really missing out on a fantastic audio package.
Colors on LCD are washed out -- much more vibrant in person.

As for the lower 2/3, Gerry has talked about this before but there's two things to mention here.
1) a lot of games pretty much have a similar setup - world poker tour or sopranos come to mind as immediate examples but it's more common than anyone would suspect to have most Playfield features in or near the upper 1/3. Still super fun, just longer shots so you need to be accurate. I never found it boring.

2) you're aiming for stuff on the LCD too -- collecting bugs for frenzy, the crates break open and you shoot parts, etc. also there's the 4 side targets.

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

As for the lower 2/3, Gerry has talked about this before but there's two things to mention here.

One more thing:
3. The system supports the placement of elements in the lower 2/3 of the playfield - some future games will no doubt take advantage of this.

#226 2 years ago

That sounds really cool. I feel like sopranos has much more going on in the lower half, but as I was writing my post it occurred to me I could almost be describing attack from mars (and wpt, but it has an upper playfield). That said, on the stream it's hard to tell what is going on in the top third of the playfield. Can you describe? Will elements be able to be added to that area too?

It would seem the next level tech would be able to have virtual playfield elements physically impact the ball.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

It would seem the next level tech would be able to have virtual playfield elements physically impact the ball.

That would be cool, but how? Magnets maybe.

#228 2 years ago

I'm no scientist or engineer, but I'm sure there are some on their team. Magnetizing the entire playfield? Targeted air gusts? Magic? That's for the power nerds to figure out

#229 2 years ago

That would be awesome if someone figures it out!! I've thought about suspended magnet modules as I'm sure others have.

Quoted from solarvalue:

One more thing:
3. The system supports the placement of elements in the lower 2/3 of the playfield - some future games will no doubt take advantage of this.

-- very true! I just left it out as I was responding more to Lexi layout, but I can't wait to see some other modules!

For the upper 1/3 of Lexi:

Far left is orbit around to 3 pops that are on the far right. There are maybe 5 targets behind them that the pops throw ball into. Lights seem to change color for targets depending on # of hits, I never figured out what it meant though maybe score for target hit? In front of pops is a hole ball falls into. Another ball is fed to right or left wire form then.

There's a large mech that all the balls feed to under the module -- the trough essentially I believe (no trough up front like a typical pin)

Mid left shot feeds the saucer. Either locks balls or rotates them back into play. You can lock up to 8, but you can choose to play agent mb with as many balls as you have locked when you choose to start it.

Center targets function varies but when not in a mode usually for killing 1 of 8? aliens. 1 shot lights briefly for a kill shot, otherwise it takes a number of target hits to kill alien.

Next shot moving right goes into the pops. Can come out or go into that hole.

Couple targets, then tight 180 scoop shot that relights modes or acts as s jackpot shot (among other things). Flips ball up to right wire form back to flipper like potc.

Far right is scoop hole -- starts modes as main function.

I think that sums the upper 1/3 mechs?

(Edit-- left side has a return loop to left wire form as well via saucer shot, trough quickly kicks one up sometimes.)

#230 2 years ago

Was awesome getting to hear Gerry live today on the twitch explaining rules and such -- just happened to check in at the right time

#231 2 years ago

On the game playing long - I watched the finals and that wasn't my perception at all.

Finals matches (four player games, exceptional players):
Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth: 35 minutes
The Addams Family: 35 minutes
Embryon 30: minutes

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154325603?t=05h35m53s

The game was also set up reasonably forgiving during qualifying, since most of the players hadn't spent much time with it. Like other games, ball save times and other settings can be tweaked easily. According to Gerry more options for controlling respawns are coming in the next software update too.

#232 2 years ago

That was fun to watch the game in the finals, thanks.

#233 2 years ago

I got to play several games at the PNW Pinball show. Overall I was impressed with the engineering and the cleverness of making pinball playable on a massive monitor. Well done.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what gets done with this platform. There is a /lot/ of potential there.

So I hope that my candid feedback can be taken in that spirit.

The art styles on Lexy were inconsistent, ranging from crisp 3d renderings to hand drawn, to pixelated closeups. Pick a theme and stick with it.

Perhaps consider test marketing the names for your games. For me, when I see the word Lightspeed, I expect stars and space. So the visuals didn't relate to the theme. I was confused that it all seems to take place on the ground - I didn't even /see/ that the subtitle is "escape from earth" so I didn't relate to it. Escape From Earth is a kickass name. Lexy Lightspeed, at least for me, meh.

The ball trails in smoke are an interesting idea, but the lag between the actual ball and the screen draw is very jarring. It needs to be exactly as the ball goes across, or IMO it should be dropped. The smoke effect is also not consistent with the other art.

The overall art package doesn't draw one in like Dialed In, Houdini, or most new Sterns do. I think the lack of a DMD or LCD on the backbox is the reason - there is nothing /moving/ on the backbox to draw your attention. From a distance it makes the machine look wrong/broken/boring.

I really like the idea that third parties can develop titles for the platform. I think this is a smart move. With deep respect, the company has a strength in engineering but not art. Either focus on engineering and let third party artists and designers loose on your platform, or bring in an experienced art director. Or why not both?

I wish you massive success. I'm looking forward to seeing the other incarnations on this platform.

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The game was also set up reasonably forgiving during qualifying, since most of the players hadn't spent much time with it. Like other games, ball save times and other settings can be tweaked easily. According to Gerry more options for controlling respawns are coming in the next software update too.

They took the outlane posts out for the finals (and removed ball save). That made a big difference. I will need to go back and watch the finals footage.

It is interesting, like everything the posts are suspended from the clear polycarbinate (I assume that is what it is). They are very easily adjusted, and if the holes there are not good for you, drilling some new holes doesn't feel as destructive as drilling a playfield.

#235 2 years ago

How long can you go back to rewatch a twitch stream? I thought they were kinda over if you didn't catch them live? (Or within a few hours?)

Regarding art package feedback on Lexy -- kinda interesting because Lexy was all done by a consultant team, not really in-house designers. But fair to say that we should see a lot of variation between 3rd party devs, in- house team, and contract developers.

I do wonder about the ball trail -- heard that comment before about lag. Is that software not being able to keep up or hardwAre, or the way the dectection is working?

The Outlane post adjustments were really well done - on par with a lot of the engineering on the p3

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

It is interesting, like everything the posts are suspended from the clear polycarbinate (I assume that is what it is). They are very easily adjusted, and if the holes there are not good for you, drilling some new holes doesn't feel as destructive as drilling a playfield.

Correct. The "surface" of the lower playfield is standard 1/4" polycarbonate that you can buy at lowes/homedepot / etc.
They did this in that material so that anyone can find a replacement lower PF when it gets too scratched up to be useful. At least that is what Gerry has said at most of his seminars I have attended in the past.

I don't remember where the posts are mounted. My assumption is that they are in the polycarb... but they might be part of the lower flipper assembly as well.

Quoted from Brijam:

I really like the idea that third parties can develop titles for the platform. I think this is a smart move. With deep respect, the company has a strength in engineering but not art. Either focus on engineering and let third party artists and designers loose on your platform, or bring in an experienced art director. Or why not both?

Here's the way I see it. Chicken vs Egg senerio.
Developers do not flock to an unknown platform where there are may be small numbers of platforms available. With Xbox, PSone, etc... there are millions of units out there to get paying customers.

When it comes to the P3; Multimorphic HAS to build games which demonstrate the technology.. He has to build enough of a customer base to make it enticing enough for third party developers. This is what I believe you are seeing here - Building technological, but playable demos that enable a test bed for developers to start with.

We don't need another SkitB, Heighway, or Dutch Pinball scenario. Smart people know this - so Multimorphic appears to doing the right things to minimize expenditures so that they can grow the company long term. Outsourcing to an expensive or otherwise unknown 3rd party does not seem to be good for short term growth. Once they have shipped an good base of games; then we'll see more interest in the platform.

#237 2 years ago

You can see the advantages of the playfield LCD in that stream. It's much easier for the commentators to say "he needs to shoot the shot which that huge blue arrow is pointing to" than "see that tiny blinking yellow insert, third from the left? He needs to shoot that."

Quoted from Brijam:

The overall art package doesn't draw one in like Dialed In, Houdini, or most new Sterns do. I think the lack of a DMD or LCD on the backbox is the reason - there is nothing /moving/ on the backbox to draw your attention. From a distance it makes the machine look wrong/broken/boring.

I think that, for spectators and on location, it would be cool to have an overhead camera and an extra LCD in the backbox showing the playfield action. Maybe something like that could be developed in the future.

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

it would be cool to have an overhead camera and an extra LCD in the backbox

I'm hoping for this as well -- at least a backbox LCD for home so other players can be more involved. Right now it's awesome for the person playing, but unless you're watching from the side of the game it's hard to see what's going on and impossible to see scores.

Quoted from Zitt:

Once they have shipped an good base of games; then we'll see more interest in the platform.

I think both from developers and players/potential additional customers.. it's been a long proto to production time but it has potential to go far in the next few years

#239 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I'm hoping for this as well -- at least a backbox LCD for home so other players can be more involved. Right now it's awesome for the person playing, but unless you're watching from the side of the game it's hard to see what's going on and impossible to see scores.

Actually, this probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to do as a mod themselves.

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Developers do not flock to an unknown platform where there are may be small numbers of platforms available. With Xbox, PSone, etc... there are millions of units out there to get paying customers.

I would be wary of comparing the pinball industry with the video game console industry.

But to run with the comparison for a minute... Halo was originally supposed to be a game for the PC. But Microsoft paid Bungie $10mm to make Halo an Xbox-only title. Microsoft knew they didn't have the chops in-house to win over gamers. Halo made the system a must-have for gamers.

Quoted from Zitt:

When it comes to the P3; Multimorphic HAS to build games which demonstrate the technology.. He has to build enough of a customer base to make it enticing enough for third party developers. This is what I believe you are seeing here - Building technological, but playable demos that enable a test bed for developers to start with.

Oh, is building a technology demo their market strategy? I didn't know that. So they're trying to attract developers and not sell pinball machines at this time? That changes everything.

As a developer, I see so much potential in their platform. But right now I only know that as an (incredibly small time) operator, I wouldn't buy their platform (solely based on Lexy). On the other hand, I /want/ a Houdini.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Having dynamic player info right on the playfield is one of the things I like most about the P3 platform. JJP machines, at least Hobbit and TWOZ, suffer from too much player info on those massive backbox LCDs and not enough callouts. Heck, I've scored nearly 900k on the Hobbit and I still have almost no clue what I was doing.

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Oh, is building a technology demo their market strategy? I didn't know that. So they're trying to attract developers and not sell pinball machines at this time? That changes everything.
As a developer, I see so much potential in their platform. But right now I only know that as an (incredibly small time) operator, I wouldn't buy their platform (solely based on Lexy). On the other hand, I /want/ a Houdini.

No, please don't put my words in their mouth.
Its the way *I* see it; not necessarily their business model.

Why is Houdini better than Lexy?
Houdini IMHO; has too much bad history for me to "invest" in that company. I wish them luck; and have a friend who works on their team...but it isn't enough for me to invest in them. Maybe on Game#2... or after Game#1 is shown to be a home run.

For *ME*; the P3 is the platform I want to design my game#2 on ... just too much potential there.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No, please don't put my words in their mouth.
Its the way *I* see it; not necessarily their business model.

No worries. I didn't mean it that way, I just know nothing about the company.

Quoted from Zitt:

Why is Houdini better than Lexy?

Well... the art style is more polished and consistent. I'd put Houdini up against any Stern or Bally/Williams on art. The toys on Houdini are the nicest I've seen on any pinball machine, period. I don't recall any toys on Lexy, except the wheel, which I didn't think fit the art style and seemed to lack detail. The music, sound effects and callouts on Houdini I found more fun and compelling. The shots on Houdini are more interesting, and I felt that the ruleset was much deeper. And the across-the-playfield throw of the ball into the magic trunk was astounding and cool. It had a flow, and I wanted to play it again. It's a pin I want to buy. But to be fair, I thought the LCD animations/art on Houdini were a little weak.

As far as pure innovation goes, the P3 blows Houdini away. There's no question. But as a pin that I want to play or buy, right now it falls short.

Houdini, for me, looks and plays exactly like a great Stern or JJP. That's why I want one right now.

Quoted from Zitt:

Houdini IMHO; has too much bad history for me to "invest" in that company.

I think if I were to base my pin buying on bad history that I'd heard from a pinhead or read about on Pinside I'd never buy a pin again.

Quoted from Zitt:

For *ME*; the P3 is the platform I want to design my game#2 on ... just too much potential there.

I'm interested in P3 as a developer, but I'd have to know a lot more, like how much I'd make per game sold, and I'd have to see a substantial market or an advance before I'd devote serious resources to it. But I'd /love/ to design a pinball game, or do the art direction on one.

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I'm interested in P3 as a developer, but I'd have to know a lot more, like how much I'd make per game sold, and I'd have to see a substantial market or an advance before I'd devote serious resources to it

So far multimorphic has stated that 3rd party games would put pricing in the hands of the dev I believe. I don't think the interest is to take a huge money grab from devs but to get a good game library going. They will work with devs to insure the game won't cause issues on the platform and get it up on the website for sale.

The catch22 in the beginning is that some devs want s proven base market but the base market will be partly driven by availability of new titles. Of course there are the early adopters.. but my guess is that at least the first few 3rd party games may be made by hobbyists. There are for sure a few owners in the first production runs looking to make their own games.. hopefully some of these get shared. I'd love to see an unofficial free exchange of little mini games that people are tinkering with for fun.

#244 2 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Either focus on engineering and let third party artists and designers loose on your platform, or bring in an experienced art director. Or why not both?

P3 is being built on a shoestring budget and since it's intended as a platform, they're focusing their limited cash on the engineering side. I can see how that's better for the long term life of the platform, but it's unfortunate that the pinball buying public is more interested in the art side than the engineering side. Good art costs real money.

I think the right license and artist / art direction will really make the platform take off.

#245 2 years ago

Does anyone have news about production from the Bat City event? Anyone talk to Gerry? I would love to know what's been happening over the past couple of months. Happy to wait until the next monthly update if there is one coming up.

#246 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Does anyone have news about production from the Bat City event? Anyone talk to Gerry? I would love to know what's been happening over the past couple of months. Happy to wait until the next monthly update if there is one coming up.

I heard during one of the streams -- someone who played had a ball get stuck and Gerry or someone from multimorphic was discussing how to fix it it sounded like. Based on that, seems like they may be a couple weeks out still from shipping first run? Still trying to get last kinks out and ensure a quality product is in owners hands? I'm with you though -- missing that update email where they launch the new website And release dev kit

#247 2 years ago

Latest update from 10 min ago.. I think first run games are about to ship? Second run pushed back a few weeks:

The Multimorphic production line is rolling!

We've partitioned the production floor into build-stations, where each station is responsible for one or more sub-assemblies (ie. flippers, trough, wall/scoops, side-targets, chassis, cabinet, backbox, upper playfield modules, playfield display, etc). Each sub-assembly is built, tested, and then prepared to go into a machine. When all of the sub-assemblies are ready, machines are fully assembled, last minute adjustments are made, and then machines go through a final testing procedure. No production machines have officially shipped yet, but that's about to change. For those of you in the 2nd production run, we're now looking at starting 2nd run shipments in September. If you're not a 1st or 2nd run customer but want to buy a P3, please email me to get on our list. When we have new inventory available, we'll contact you.

While production continues to ramp up, our software team is preparing our many software projects for release. Whereas traditional pinball games have a single game application, the P3 is a platform machine that requires a whole suite of applications and tools. The P3 is set up similarly to other multi-application devices, like tablets and mobile phones, on which applications can be selected from an application list (manually or automatically). So on the machine itself, there's an application-launching menu and a bunch of apps. All machines will have a diagnostics app, a system management app, and the Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth game app. Additional apps will be available as add-on purchases (though many of you have taken advantage of promotional offers to get certain add-on games for free). When new apps are installed, they'll become available in the application list. You won't need to reinstall software every time you want to swap games.

In addition to the apps running on the P3, we're developing Multimorphic-internal tools for building and managing installable application packages (similar to mobile app store back-end systems). Suffice it to say, we're laying the groundwork for a comprehensive P3 ecosystem, including support for 3rd-party game development, testing, and deployment.

A few weeks ago I promised a new website and customer support portal, and unfortunately we're a little behind schedule on that. We're still working on content for our online-store and fine-tuning the design of the customer support portal; so it'll be a little longer before the site goes live. In the meantime, you can still visit http://www.multimorphic.com to read about the P3 on our old site, and of course you can contact me directly at any time.

The P3 with Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth was used for the first time in a PAPA circuit event last weekend (the Bat City Open, hosted by Buffalo Billiards in Austin, TX). It was played throughout the weekend and also used in the finals. The final match was streamed on twitch (LL-EE coverage starts at 5:32:00) here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154325603. I did commentary when they played LL-EE. The machine and game seemed to perform very well most of the weekend, though players did encounter a couple of issues. The one serious mechanical issue encountered (balls getting stuck in the ship entrance - this happened twice over the course of the tournament) is being fixed in production machines, some game logic is being tweaked as a result of the tournament play, and one software glitch is currently being debugged. We had three other machines in the free play area. Two were running Heads Up, and the other was running Cannon Lagoon. Overall it was a fantastic weekend. We enjoyed being part of it, and we appreciate the interest and enthusiasm for the P3 and LL-EE.

In June, a P3 was hosted by Mark Montecalvo in the Pinball Bulbs booth at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show. In July, a P3 will be available for play at Pintastic in Sturbridge, MA in Allan Davidson's Ardvark Pinball Repair and Restoration booth. Huge thanks to Mark and Allan for hosting, servicing, and promoting the machines. We've been able to successfully build a company around the P3 vision in large part because of the passion and support of the pinball community, and we remain incredibly grateful.

Please excuse me now while I call the freight company to discuss pickup schedules for new P3s!

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Please excuse me now while I call the freight company to discuss pickup schedules for new P3s!

sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

A little over a month ago, we assembled the first 8 production P3s in time for the Texas Pinball Festival.

so a production run is currently ... 8 machines ??

p3 (resized).jpg

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

so a production run is currently ... 8 machines ??

Yes -- first run (for customers). Second was 50 or so I think? But those are ordered ones.. they want to then build up inventory. This isn't stern pinball.. it's a small company attempting to compete with a product that many in the hobby are not entirely comfortable with yet -- being as different and innovative as it is.

But 5 years coming, getting these in customers hands is huge and once any remaining links are worked out of production means multimorphic can focus more energy on software and website dev along with sales rather than engineering on the platform

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 12.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Little Shop Of Games
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside