• 292 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _xizor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you thinking about buying the P3 system?”

• I'm on the preorder list and I'm for sure ponying up when my name is called 30 votes
    13%
  • I'm on the list.. but not locked in. We'll see where price lands and when I get called. 17 votes
    7%
  • I'm thinking about buying one but no need to get on the list right now 17 votes
    7%
  • I want to get some time on it first before committing to anything 7 votes
    3%
  • Let's see how production and QC go and how happy first purchasers are 29 votes
    13%
  • Maybe in a few years when we see what happens with future games/dev 37 votes
    16%
  • Not really interested and/or too expensive for my taste 33 votes
    14%
  • Would never buy one -- ever! 36 votes
    16%
  • I'm very excited to play it on location/friends places but it's unlikely I would buy one. 25 votes
    11%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4550 (resized).PNG
IMG_4549 (resized).PNG
IMG_1682 (resized).JPG
p3 (resized).jpg
sub-assemblies (resized).jpg
hu_and_cl_in_bco (resized).jpg
llee_in_bco (resized).jpg
chassis (resized).jpg
IMG_3832 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3827 (resized).JPG
IMG_3825 (resized).JPG
P_20161112_093505 (resized).jpg
P3 (resized).jpg
There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

I'm surprised there aren't more Topic posts on Lexy and the P3 system.. something like 11 topics on it I think.. fffar less than Dialed In!, BM66, or other games on the horizon and hopefully shipping by/in 2017. Reading through what people have said, I don't think I've really seen much of anything negative about it -- maybe that's why there isn't more chatter about it? When things affect people negatively there's always a flutter on pinside..

It's interesting not to see more talk on it just because this game is SO different from anything else and IMO is SUCH a cool concept. There are a TON of unique features built into the P3, including ideas that people have been talking about for a long while (player profiles with lifetime stats/achievements, different skill settings on the fly for different players in the same game, team play, open dev kit for 3rd parties to design complete games, on the list goes). Not to mention that the up front cost is looking to be very close to Dialed In! or BM66 and Lexy is just the beginning for this swappable module system. For $15k in a few years you could have 4 games in 1 for the future price of 1 stern LLLE or a JJP CE.

I was hoping to get more of a feel of what people think of this game and who's interested not only in playing it on location next year but who's on the pre-order list or thinking about pre-ordering or just ordering in general?

#2 7 years ago

I played P3 at MGC this year and it was a lot of fun. How much are they going to sell for?

#3 7 years ago

All this platform needs is its "killer app". I'm still keeping my last spot open, and preferably for a swappable platform.

#4 7 years ago

Don't ask me why but so far it just doesn't call to me at all. Now to be fair I'll have to try it but can't say it's something that grabs me. Maybe it is the need for a "killer ap". We'll see.

#5 7 years ago

Gosh, I just wish this poll had more options!

#6 7 years ago

Great poll! I'm very excited about the P3, so many possibilities, sure hope that I can pull the cash together when I get called.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Gosh, I just wish this poll had more options!

Hahaha just wanted to cover most (all?) the bases. I also just realized that the poll looks pretty long on mobile vs on the pc where I did it..

Thanks for all the votes so far guys -- interesting to see

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I played P3 at MGC this year and it was a lot of fun. How much are they going to sell for?

Can't imagine they will pull very far away from the estimated $10k. At least I'm hoping they don't jump $2k.. been a long development

#9 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to when they/second party release a licensed theme for a P3. That could get very interesting.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm looking forward to when they/second party release a licensed theme for a P3. That could get very interesting.

For sure!! I'm interested as well to see what the dev time is for that both for people with experience and those trying a home brew design.

#11 7 years ago

I played it at Pinburgh where Lexi was close to, if not already, feature-complete. I had played it at Pintastic this year and last and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The Cannon Lagoon redemption game is also a lot of fun and should help appeal to some locations. I also think it will be popular with kids and folks who don't generally play pinball. I'm also very interested in the Development platform for my own use. I've been on the list for a while now and am really looking forward to the machine's release.

Personally, I could care less about licensed themes. I prefer original themes like Lexi.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

For sure!! I'm interested as well to see what the dev time is for that both for people with experience and those trying a home brew design.

Let the games begin!!

#13 7 years ago

Multimorphic P3 will be at the Houston Arcade Expo next week.
www.arcadecenter.com

#14 7 years ago

I personally think that what they are doing is moving pinball forward and there really isn't any thing else that is as innovative.

Does anybody know when these go into production? The website says early 2016.

#15 7 years ago

I am sadly not interested at all. It is to much videogame to me, very outdated also, and i dont like the mechanical pin part of the game.

It is more of a gimmick than a worthy pin platform if you ask me.

But i hope i am all wrong.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I am sadly not interested at all. It is to much videogame to me, very outdated also, and i dont like the mechanical pin part of the game.

Too much video game? Genuinely curious, have you actually played the game, or just seen videos?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I personally think that what they are doing is moving pinball forward and there really isn't any thing else that is as innovative.
Does anybody know when these go into production? The website says early 2016.

It sounds like they are very close - early 2017 seems likely for the first ones-

#18 7 years ago

It's hard to say how the interactions between digital and physical will feel overall I think if you haven't played it (I'm assuming you have not played one, and I haven't either) but everyone that's played it seems to have been really impressed and also surprised when they realized it's nothing like a VP cab. The ball tracking looks like it works amazingly well and there's so much potential for integration/interaction between the ball and the screen. As far as the graphics.. well if you don't like Lexy there will be plenty of other games to choose from down the road with updated graphics/etc.... if all goes as planned

#19 7 years ago

I'm in! And I tend to only buy EMs, but the platform has incredible potential. I've never played one in person, but I am really_ looking forward to playing the games that people create and most importantly, making my own!

I've used some of Multimorphic's other products in my custom-built game, and I am highly, highly impressed.

What pushed me over the top was the pictures from Expo this year of the underside of the playfield. I work on lots of machines of all eras, and this game looks very easy to work on, despite the new tech. It's neat & tidy underneath.

I also really like the flipper/sling modules. I have lots of ideas related to each of the components on the playfield, and how to create a whole series of custom games. We'll see how practical it will be to make my own lower playfield components once I actually have hands on my game.

Tons of potential with the upper playfield as well!

So many ideas, and the space savings for multiple games will be incredible. I only wish it was here already.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I'm surprised there aren't more Topic posts on Lexy and the P3 system.. something like 11 topics on it I think.. fffar less than Dialed In!, BM66, or other games on the horizon and hopefully shipping by/in 2017. Reading through what people have said, I don't think I've really seen much of anything negative about it -- maybe that's why there isn't more chatter about it? When things affect people negatively there's always a flutter on pinside..
It's interesting not to see more talk on it just because this game is SO different from anything else and IMO is SUCH a cool concept. There are a TON of unique features built into the P3, including ideas that people have been talking about for a long while (player profiles with lifetime stats/achievements, different skill settings on the fly for different players in the same game, team play, open dev kit for 3rd parties to design complete games, on the list goes). Not to mention that the up front cost is looking to be very close to Dialed In! or BM66 and Lexy is just the beginning for this swappable module system. For $15k in a few years you could have 4 games in 1 for the future price of 1 stern LLLE or a JJP CE.
I was hoping to get more of a feel of what people think of this game and who's interested not only in playing it on location next year but who's on the pre-order list or thinking about pre-ordering or just ordering in general?

I fear you haven't heard much negative stuff because most pinball collector's are not interested in it. If they don't like a JJP game it's a talking point. While I massively applaud their efforts and innovation I don't think it's anything more than a niche in the pinball world. To have success in the "real world " outside will be massively difficult at the price imo.

#21 7 years ago

As opposed to a couple of years ago when the P3 seemed very costly compared to other NIB games, it seems like a great deal these days! Other manufacturers are approaching their price point and don't offer (save for Heighway) a swappable system or very much innovation.

#22 7 years ago

There is the problem. Heighway exists. You can have 4 of their games for about 15k. And you would likely recover most of the cost selling in the future.

#23 7 years ago

There's a Heighway development kit? (apples and oranges)

#24 7 years ago

You are right. All the time you are looking at the screen and interacting with images on the screen. I don't think you can build an entire game around this concept and appeal to anything else than a tiny niche market at 10k+ no matter how many games it contains.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

There is the problem. Heighway exists. You can have 4 of their games for about 15k. And you would likely recover most of the cost selling in the future.

Heighway has four games? Shit I'm out of the loop.

#26 7 years ago

Also, I think full playfields are a lot harder to store than the modules needed for the P3... since I'm building a game with full playfield swaps, I think I can speak to this a bit. I have to build custom crates to hold them all. I'll be excited to tuck the P3 modules under other games or put them away somewhere.

As to the screen - from what I've seen (and I haven't played one) - you're interacting with stuff on the screen with a ball. And the screen can present an endless variety of targets to hit... it's easier to maintain than a p2k (special glass, proprietary code - first games will be open source on P3), easier to swap games (and already more games than the p2k, modules are way smaller than a full playfield), easier to develop if you choose to do so (appears to use the incredibly popular Unity)...

#27 7 years ago

I had to stop playing it at Pintastic.... games were way too addictive. The cannon shooting one, although simple, was a lot of fun. The Lexi game had some great game play. I am not on the pre-order list, but I am willing to bet I will own one in the near future

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

I don't think you can build an entire game around this concept and appeal to anything else than a tiny niche market

you hunting down every P3 related thread to trash the game? Give it a rest.

#29 7 years ago

I love the P3 system and have been following it closely over the past 4 or 5 years. Played it a ton. but can't justify the 10k price tag. The game swapping ability is awesome, but now highway also has that option. just a larger playfield to swap but much cheaper 6.5k.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

you hunting down every P3 related thread to trash the game? Give it a rest.

you silly man

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I love the P3 system and have been following it closely over the past 4 or 5 years. Played it a ton. but can't justify the 10k price tag. The game swapping ability is awesome, but now highway also has that option. just a larger playfield to swap but much cheaper 6.5k.

I didn't realize highway was going swsppable as well. So a base game is 6.5k and then the kits to swap are around 3 to 4K? I like the swappabke model-- however I'm agreeing that swapping and storing whole Playfields can be a pia for those with limited space.

#32 7 years ago

Good post Captain. I've said on here it's brilliant tech. But in business it's sales and $ price that usually tells.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

you silly man

Ok ok break it up haha. I'm open to all opinions on here - neg or positive and I'm not going to deny that the reason there aren't more negative comments is because many collectors (right now) may not be interested. It could be niche or they may hit a homer. I think this game could be particularity intersting to operators..
Easy maintenance, swap games super quickly, and it's appealing to kids and people who would not normally approach pinball

#34 7 years ago

you're on every p3 thread ripping up their plans, business model, viability...seems low class/assholeish. I'm being silly though. Have a great day.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Good post Captain. I've said on here it's brilliant tech. But in business it's sales and $ price that usually tells.

Is that you, Jack?

#36 7 years ago

I have played the P3 Lexi game and I loved it and I think it's very very cool. The only thing I didn't like was that the flippers felt so different compared to every other pinball machine I have ever played. It seems like they come up to high when pressed and for that reason my aim was completely off. Now I am sure I can get used to this and adjust my aim for it, the only problem I have with that is if i play this game a lot I'm gonna suck at other machines I play. If they can fix that I am totally in when I get the call.

#37 7 years ago

Are they going to have a Multimorphic P3 at the 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show?

I am intrigued by the virtual/physical hybrid concept. However, in looking at the P3 website and watching the videos and such, and it just doesn't look very appealing to me. That having been said, I read a fair amount of positive comments from people that have played it, so I don't want to dismiss it based on the images and videos I've seen. So, hopefully, I can play one soon to see what it is really like.

#38 7 years ago

The breakout portion of Lexi Lightspeed is amazing, the cherry on top of an already delicious pinball sundae!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Are they going to have a Multimorphic P3 at the 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show?
I am intrigued by the virtual/physical hybrid concept. However, in looking at the P3 website and watching the videos and such, and it just doesn't look very appealing to me. That having been said, I read a fair amount of positive comments from people that have played it, so I don't want to dismiss it based on the images and videos I've seen. So, hopefully, I can play one soon to see what it is really like.

Maybe if NWpinball really pushes the promotions/venders this year he can convince Gerry to come up but right now my impression is that they probably won't make it. Gerry seemed convinced on another thread though that we should see a number of them in the wild next year so hopefully there's one closeby. Otherwise, if I get the preorder call and decide to go for it you can come play it once it arrives

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Maybe if NWpinball really pushes the promotions/venders this year he can convince Gerry to come up but right now my impression is that they probably won't make it. Gerry seemed convinced on another thread though that we should see a number of them in the wild next year so hopefully there's one closeby. Otherwise, if I get the preorder call and decide to go for it you can come play it once it arrives

If it doesn't make it to the show, keep in touch if you get a pre order!

#41 7 years ago

Played it at Pin-a-Gogo and loved it- nice, crisp flipper action, satisfying shot selection, easy comprehensible rules. Not a video gamer (at all) but really enjoyed the graphics.

Swappable upper 1/3 intriguing. My concern about the hardware is that the geometry on the lower 2/3 will never change, so if you master the nudging, it could make for some long ball times.

Practical concerns are whether it ever reaches a critical mass and cost. Wishing them luck in a truly innovative endeavor.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I didn't realize highway was going swsppable as well. So a base game is 6.5k and then the kits to swap are around 3 to 4K? I like the swappabke model-- however I'm agreeing that swapping and storing whole Playfields can be a pia for those with limited space.

That's the claim... but we need to wait to see how Highway actually does this.
The difference here is that Gerry demonstrates the 30second playfield swap at every one of his seminars.
I challenge Highway to do this during their seminars.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The difference here is that Gerry demonstrates the 30second playfield swap at every one of his seminars.
I challenge Highway to do this during their seminars.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-does-it-take-to-swap-a-heighway-pinball-game

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

so if you master the nudging, it could make for some long ball times.

I've played it and watched others play it and being too easy doesn't seem to be a problem...

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

I like Heighway and their system, it will do well. However, as a multi-game platform, the P3 is much more flexible and practical. The P3 playfield modules are smaller and lighter and easier and quicker to swap and store.

The beauty of the P3 system is that you only need to swap the parts of the machine which need to be different. On most games the lower playfield layout (flippers, slings, outlanes) is the same, it doesn't always need to be changed from game to game. With the Heighway system you are swapping the whole playfield, including the in-screen LCD every time. This means that additional games on the P3 will likely be around half the cost of those for the Heighway system. Andrew has said that playfield-only game kits will be around 60% of a new game. For Alien standard, that puts the kit at $3870. On the other hand Gerry has estimated that additional games for the P3 will cost around $1500 for the simpler games to $2500 for more complex games.

As the large LCD playfield is dynamic and interactive on the P3, this creates the possibility for multiple games to be played with the same upper-playfield module, or without utilising the upper playfield at all. These games will be potentially be even cheaper than those described above.

Additionally, you will be able change other parts of the system (such as the flippers, slings and outlanes) if you want. Players will be able to mix and match different upper, middle and lower playfields, creating even more gameplay experiences. In short, the flexibility of the system is unlike anything else out there.

Here's a short video which illustrates the concept really well:

P.S. I hate to compare one manufacturer to another, Heighway is awesome, I think if you ran a P3 AND a Heighway system in your gameroom or location you would have a great setup. However, I think the comparison is warranted to show how the systems differ.

#46 7 years ago

The swap looks very similar to the P3 swap. That obviously is no accident.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Swappable upper 1/3 intriguing. My concern about the hardware is that the geometry on the lower 2/3 will never change, so if you master the nudging, it could make for some long ball times.

You can change the lower 2/3. The lower 2/3 of the playfield is made up of lower and middle playfield modules which can be swapped very easily. They slide in and out of the game over the top of the large LCD, see the video I posted above for a demonstration of this.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The swap looks very similar to the P3 swap. That obviously is no accident given Heighway currently uses PROC boards.

Heighway doesn't use PROC boards. Besides, the control system and the playfield form factor have little relationship in the game's design. I have a playfield swap design that predated Heighway's too. But that really doesn't matter, it's all about whether or not the game is fun!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The swap looks very similar to the P3 swap. That obviously is no accident.

What I am curious to know is if the slightly wider sidewalls on the Heighway games make it so you can actually slide your swapped playfield under the existing cabinet from the front. The playfield width, even if it is not in a storage trunk, is too wide to fit between the front legs on the cabinet. That is a challenge with my design. I hang the playfields on the wall to store them out of the way.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

yes, highways kits are around 3500 to 4k and fully drop in ready.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-lexy-et-al-whos-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.