IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
SYSCORE_NO_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg
SYSCORE_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg
AdditionalSpaceAfterDelivery (resized).jpg
SA_NO_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 NEWS: Multimorphic 2018 game issues summary Posted by gstellenberg (5 years ago)

Post #969 NEWS: Bowen Kerins and Colin McAlpine joining the team Posted by PinballTilt (2 years ago)

Post #1773 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Switching Modules how-to video Posted by KevInBuffalo (1 year ago)

Post #2996 NEWS: Games available breakdown for each module Posted by Rdoyle1978 (7 months ago)

Post #3054 TECH: CABINET. How to remove cabinet head Posted by DigitalJedi084 (6 months ago)

Post #3099 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Upper and lower flippers single button setting Posted by gstellenberg (6 months ago)

Post #3198 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Weird Al right ramp continuously going up and down fix Posted by bingopodcast (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 5 years ago

All this talk about CL and I may need to throw mine back in and play a few games. Frankly, I beat the Kraken the first couple days I had the game and have not put that game back in since.

Maybe I need to try for PERFECT and stuff like that.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Have you tried the Game Setting for Narrow Ships? That makes it "interesting". You can also play with the number of ships, their speed and the round configurations to keep adjusting the difficulty. There's a lot in that little game!
And yeah, trying to score the perfects is a lot of fun and a good challenge. My best score to date was in the 400K range and there were definitely more points to be had in there.

Hmm...didn't know about any of those settings. I'll certainly check it out now. Sounds like it could breathe some life into that game that I didn't know about.

4 months later
#274 5 years ago

I was wondering when you'd FINALLY announce the backbox display. I'm 100% in on that! Question on the new artwork though. I really dig the new art style, but does this mean you are changing the models in-game? They don't appear too often, so I guess it wouldn't be TOO hard. I was always confused as to why Lexy looked completely different on the translite versus in the game. The cabinet art has changed and now she has a 3rd look. Just curious if you'll be syncing up the art styles.

Kudos either way, and have a great show!

5 months later
#348 5 years ago

Did multiball get removed from CCR? We haven't played the game a ton, but it seemed to have less "features" than the old stream from last year.

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I heard multi was removed for now as it didn’t integrate well with the racing theme/concept. Maybe back in code update?

It seems multiple rule/feature/mode decisions were made with the sole/primary rationale being to "align" with the racing theme, and I think the results are unfortunate.

#353 5 years ago

I had always hoped there would be modes that were used to qualify races. Then the races themselves would be the "safecracker-style" infinite ball thing the game is now. However, the mode-less style was a specific design decision because they were trying to mimic a 100% kart style game (all racing). Too bad, there are a ton of missed opportunities in my opinion.

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Technically the modes are there as time trials between each race. They just don’t feel that different from a race though imo— I like your idea on qualifying races and perhaps qualifiers are short and you only get 1 or 2 balls? Actually I’d wnjoy that on races as. Challenge — lose x balls on drains And your out.

They just don't feel like modes though, and everything is so linear (to the degree things are even different). There could have been a ton of potential. Not only "open" play to qualify races, but there could have been a real risk/reward thing with building up your cart before starting a race. Accomplish certain optional side goals to trick out your ride and make races easier/worth more. I know Gerry's priority was to make a cart racing game, but most racing games have an rpg element where you're improving your ride and you choose certain upgrades over others. This could all have been part of the between race aspect. Instead, there's very little diversity as it stands.

There are also a lot of cool things they could have done with the upper playfield with the magnets and the lighting. It's a shame the ramp colors are connected to your cart, because it means you see only green (and white). The playfield looks cool when they use the rgb on the ramps, but this never happens. If colors weren't tied to cart positions, they could do cool things with ramp colors. Imagine there was an "upgrade your cart" segment, and each category was a different color. You could make each ramp/loop those colors and this would turn into a mode select. Hit the green ramp to enter the increase your engine's top speed mode. Hit the Red ramp for a mode to increase the handling. Whatever. Afterwards you have dilemmas of whether to start a race or upgrade your cart some more. I love games with major risk/reward aspects.

Plus, I've always thought a cool mode would be hitting a shot to cycle colors (red-white-green-blue-red-white-green-blue). In this case, maybe a certain configuration for your cart. Green here, red there, etc. The mode could start with shots the same color and the point is to match the specified configuration. So, you need to get a certain amount of shots to get everything lined up. Hit a shot one too many times, you need to cycle it back through. Adding to the number of shots in play or the number of colors could alter the difficulty.

And this doesn't get to what they could have done with the ramp magnets. I'm one of Gerry/P3's longest and most ardent supporters, but CCR left so much opportunity on the table.

2 weeks later
#370 4 years ago
Quoted from boblannon:

Is it possible for independent developers to experiment with the Multimorphic SDK in Unity? More concretely: what's required for a setting up a dev environment? I have an idea for a game and I'm wondering if I could sketch a proof-of-concept without having access to a physical machine.
(apologies if this has been asked before, I'm new. I tried to search this thread for keywords and didn't turn up anything)

I'm sure I speak for everyone that owns a P3, is thinking about owning a P3, or was involved in the creation of the P3. Good luck with the development of a 3rd party game. I can't wait until there's a thriving ecosystem of P3 games, especially software-only games that leverage existing playfield modules. The vision of the system has always been a multi-game platform, so the more users can squeeze out of each playfield module, the more it justifies the P3 concept.

6 months later
#443 4 years ago
Quoted from tjw998:

A major update to CCR has been announced to make it a more traditional 3-ball type game.

Quoted from Sjsilver:

The back box display is gorgeous. pictures can't do it justice. I highly recommend it.
I'm a big fan of CCR. I love flow games and I love Kart Racing games so it's right up my alley. From what I've hear the upcoming update is gonna be super cool.

I can't wait for this. I thought the idea of CCR was kinda cool, but was not executed in a way that we found fun at all. I'm OK with non-traditional games, after-all, I've had Safecracker for 15 years. But they got caught up in letting the theme drive the experience, which in my opinion took the game from mediocre and made it worse. For example, they had a multiball in the game that featured a cool staging of the balls on the ramp. They removed the entire multiball because they didn't think it worked well with the racing dynamic.

I applaud doing something different, but as presented, this game never did anything for me (yes, I own it). I'm excited to see how the new version plays. I think the layout has some potential, but the original release just wasn't fun. Hopefully they've figured out how to up the fun-factor.

They also have a new "feature" game coming out that sounds like it could be really cool. I haven't heard the timeframe for either, but I'm looking forward to both.

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

While I do enjoy the non-traditional gameplay of CCR at the moment, it currently feels like a single player focused game.

I've referenced Safecracker a bunch as a gameplay style comp for this game -- unlimited number of balls toward a time-based objective. While they each take the opposite perspective on how to handle multi-player games, they unfortunately both don't work. Safecracker switches players after every drain. News Flash: you drain ALL THE TIME in Safecracker. So, you might be switching every few seconds and it's impossible to get any flow as a player. CCR waits until the end to switch, which leaves people standing around forever. The reality: Neither game really works for multiple players. Now, CCR was designed with the ability to play simultaneous multi-player with linked machines. I'm guessing this may be fun, but what home environment has 2-4 machines linked up?

More than anything, I'm ready for Multimorphic to stop making diverse games for the express purpose of showing the vast capabilities of the platform, and focus on just making kick-ass fun games. Given the innovations in this venture, there's been a lot of walk before you can run, and with that, Gerry has felt the need to display the diverse capabilities of the platform, so that people understand what it can do. I think we're as much there as we need to be at this point. Gerry's view of building a platform is that not everyone will like every game, but there will be some games for everyone. This is great as long as lots of people own the platform. As much as I really like Lexi, the biggest limiting factor for the P3 is a killer game that people can't live without. Gerry understands this (we've talked about it).

Here's hoping the next full playfield game it what everyone's been waiting for.

2 months later
#479 4 years ago
Quoted from bean_:

The list also shows 2 Cosmic Cart Racings, 2 Heads Ups, 1 Lexi, and 1 Cannon Lagoon. Do you think those P3 machines are a new game or just whatever they decide to install on them last minute?

I know they were working on a new game / playfield, that was originally slated to be ready in roughly this timeframe. So, I'm really hoping / expecting them to show off the new game here. I'm also hoping they have the new CCR rules implemented and ready.

2 weeks later
#493 4 years ago

FYI for any P3 owners, and in particular, anyone who owns or is interested in CCR:

A public beta version of Cosmic Cart Racing 2.0.2.0 is available for immediate download from the Multimorphic site. (CCR 2.0 requires the presence of the Cosmic Cart Racing playfield module.)

Cosmic Cart Racing 2.0 features an entirely new gameplay option called "Career Mode". Career Mode delivers a 3-ball, mode-based gaming experience that rewards fast gameplay and good strategic choices. Gameplay has you traveling to different solar systems, where you'll need to earn money to upgrade your cart and enter local races. Win the race and move on to the next solar system. Win all of the races to become the Cosmic Cart Racing champion!

This release re-introduces the ramp locks, allowing you to lock balls on the ramp during gameplay before starting Meteor Shower Multiball. Other features include time-based score multipliers that increase when you hit RPM shots, an inner loop mini-mode, a progressive "Jobs" mode that earns you money, a garage where you can upgrade your cart, mystery awards, hurryup awards, and more. Most of the features can be stacked, allowing you to strategically maximize scoring potential. Tip: To score well, avoid holding the ball on the flippers for long periods of time!

1 week later
#506 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

My friend made this for me. Fits 2 playfields and will slide under a pinball machine. PM me if interested.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's actually really sweet! I could use a couple of those. Do you or your friend have the measurements / plans to build our own?

#509 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

He has a side business as a craftsman, so at this time he would prefer to sell. He does a good job. He built our kitchen table and we own a piece of wall art he made. You can check him out on YouTube at "Andy Bird Builds ".

Too bad. Shipping those would kill the value for me.

1 week later
#518 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Those six rectangles with different colors between the playfield/screen and the upper playfield have been described as scoops. Could somebody explain their function?

Actually, each rectangle is a pair: one "scoop" and one wall. They can all be raised individually and each wall / scoop can be lit individually with RGB LEDs. If the game raises one scoop, that flat rectangular piece raises up and you can shoot the ball into it. Each scoop also has a vertical wall in front of it, which is used to create barriers that block segments of the upper playfield.

For example, there's a mini-game called ROCS where all the scoops and walls raise up. This keeps the ball trapped on the lower playfield and you are tasked with hitting virtual targets on the LCD. Once you complete your objective, one of the walls lowers and you need to shoot the ball into the exposed scoop. Similarly, there is a mode in Lexy where you're in a warehouse and you need to smash crates and collect the contents by rolling over them on the LCD. All the scoops are up and 2 are exposed by lowering their corresponding wall. One scoop leads to the next room, and the other allows to you go back the prior room, in case you left before collecting all the parts.

CCR uses these 1 or 2 at a time to create blockages to the ramps or as a special hurry-up shot to hit. Heist! uses them in different ways as well. If you watch Gerry's stream (which was on Dead_Flip's Twitch channel) it shows multiple creative uses of the scoops and walls.

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This whole platform is really fascinating. How does the game keep track of the balls when hitting targets represented on the LCD?

An IR sensor grid.

IR (resized).pngIR (resized).png

Here's an old article by Pinball news that steps through lots of detail about the platform: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/12/31/p3-in-depth-review/

9 months later
#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Played a brand new out of box Heist today. My very first unboxing of any pin. Helped a buddy who recieved his today well ahead of schedule! He asked if I could come help and I didn't know what it was until I got there.
Anyway. Straight out of the box the upper playfield seems to be raised about 1/16" above the lower. This creates a bit of a lip and caused some flying air balls.
Is this common? Is there an adjustment? Thoughts?
Thanks.

Quoted from tjw998:

There are two playfield latches on either side of the front of the playfield. When they are released from their catches (the small levers above them), they will spring towards the playfield, and should engage with the small tabs on either side. Sometimes a gentle push doenward will help them seat against the playfield and should keep it flush.
Gerry demonstrates this in the learning series video when he installed a LLEE playfield.
As always, feel free to send any questions or inquiries to [email protected], and someone will get back with you usually within a few hours if not sooner.
-TJ

Definitely make sure the latches are catching first. This is required and easier than trying to track down other issues. Once you seat the tabs under the latches, give the playfield a tug upward to make sure it is secured. If that hasn't been done, it should fix the issue you're describing.

If the tabs are engaged and you still have a height issue, definitely contact support before you go further. I was in the initial run, and as a result, I had a multitude of issues that manifested in what you're talking about.

It's possible the scoops/walls are not level. There are adjustments for these, but they are somewhat more than a minor pain to tweak. The other thing that was a problem on more than one of my playfields was that the side tabs (that get secured by the latches) were not as "level" as they should be. I was instructed to bend these tabs to get the right height on the playfield.

Again, definitely contact support before you do either of these last two fixes. The P3 is a different animal than other pinball machines, so you should certainly get the lay of the land before you start randomly attempting fringe tweaks.

PLUS...their support is AWESOME, so no worries about getting top tier assistance with any issues. Both Gerry and TJ have been amazing with any issues I've consulted them about.

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

PLUS...their support is AWESOME, so no worries about getting top tier assistance with any issues. Both Gerry and TJ have been amazing with any issues I've consulted them about.

I responded to your post within an hour of you posting it, and while I was typing, 2 people from Multimorphic beat me to it...on a public forum. At 10pm on a Friday no less. Did I mention their support was awesome?

Gerry and TJ need to get a life!

1 month later
#548 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I just purchased the Lexy Lightspeed module last week and got to the 2nd stage of the Wizard mode tonight. I can’t believe I waited so long to get this game!
[quoted image]

One of the most underrated games. Never played any pinball game before with so much diversity between the modes. Definitely P3's best use of the ball tracking.

1 week later
#556 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Welcome to the club! Looking at getting a new playfield eventually - sounds like I can't go wrong with either Lexy or CCR!

Definitely both great options. If I had to pick only one playfield, it would be tough. I think Lexy is one of the most underrated pinball games available (not just P3). It's probably my favorite P3 game. Mode-based gameplay where each mode feels totally different and uses all the different P3 tech. Also has an AFM-like kill the aliens track. If it was game vs. game against just CCR, I'd pick Lexy hands down.

BUT...

The CCR playfield offers up a lot of fun beyond just the base game. CCR 2.0 is a huge improvement over the initial release. Career mode is the CCR bread-and-butter at this point, and the Arcade mode (racing only) is a fun break, which also includes the online racing option for when someone organizes a race party.

On top of that, the CCR playfield has Ranger in the Ruins which is a basic game, but it's the best bang for the buck on the P3.

And...a little birdy has hinted that there may be more fun to come for the CCR playfield.

So, Lexy has one killer mode-based game. CCR has a variety of fun non-mode-based games.

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That did not help!!!

Quoted from Ch4p3l:

I’ve been struggling with this decision as well. Both modules have their attraction. I know simple solution is get both, which I plan on in time. Rebelguitars and others have me leaning towards Lexy.

I'd pick based on your desired playstyle.

Lexy is a mode-based game. The modes are fun and HUGELY diverse. One mode raises the walls and is all about hitting virtual targets with the ball, then moving to the next room through an open scoop. Super fun. Another mode kills the flipper hold, so you can't trap balls. It's just rapid-fire target shooting. It also has the alien attack ladder, which has an AFM (shoot the middle) vibe to it, and it has a physical 8-ball lock. Really fun to try loading up the entire saucer for the 8-ball. But good luck keeping them all going if you do.

The multiball is a fun risk-reward because you kill(?) more agents per jackpot with more balls in play, so not cashing in on 2- or 3-ball multi can make a big difference. Given that the saucer shot (where you start multiball) is one of the easiest in the game, it has you actively trying to avoid the gimme shot to try and light more locks. Because, if you don't get all the agents in multiball, each subsequent multiball requires more hits to light the lock, so there's definitely some strategy on how/when to go for it.

The CCR playfield is all about flow. Seriously, Steve Ritchie ain't got nothin' on how this layout flows. Really fun, but almost no stop-and-go, so you need to like that style. All current games on this playfield take advantage of the layout by not really having modes, or anything that would require the ball to stop for long. CCR Career mode has the shop where you can upgrade your cart, but honestly, I just quickly click through it and get back to the action. Namely, because I don't think this is implemented all that well. I never have enough money, and when I do, I spend it on race entry fees. I've never felt hampered by not upgrading my cart. I also don't feel like the character you select matters much, even though they have moderately different stats. When I hit shots, I win races. When I'm bricking, I don't. Cart stats (starting or upgrades) aren't very noticeable to me, and I'm honestly not sure if I wish they were or not. I guess I probably wish money was more plentiful (jobs paid more) and upgrading carts was more necessary. Until then, I don't worry about it. Just let her rip. Playfield can also lock 3 balls magnetically on the ramp. Way cool!

And I can't state enough that EVERY owner of a CCR playfield needs to own RitR. It's just a mini-game (sorta), but the vibe and music are so perfectly implemented. It's a 1-ball game (at least by default) so it's quick and fun. It's all about finding and discovering new items. This is the only game where I have purposely avoided watching anything streamed because I didn't want to spoil figuring out the various items. Super fun.

So, TOTALLY different types of layout and style of games. Hopefully there will be some software-only games on the Lexy playfield as well, but either way, prioritize based on how you like to play. Modes, and risk-reward multiball - or fast flow for days.

#569 3 years ago
Quoted from Goyomex:

crile1 - I think you nailed it. Is this what you're talking about? My front clips are misaligned - the left one isn't closing fully to the metal tab.
Also, it appears my playfield is slightly off center. The base of the PF is positioned to the far left - not much room between the PF and the side of the cabinet on the left, plenty of space on the right side of the cabinet.
[quoted image]

No, he's actually talking about tabs that set the height of the upper playfield module in comparison to the scoops/walls. Look at your upper playfield and see the relative heights of the following:

-upper playfield
-walls
-scoops
-metal blocks at the sides of the playfield (next to the scoops)

All of these should be essentially the same height, and there are a few means of adjusting things depending on what you find.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I had this problem. It was the ball jumping and hitting the airball protector on the ramp. Look at the front of the machine and make sure the 2 metal tabs that lock the lower mech flap in place are flush. For me they were not and the flap was loose causing the acrylic playfield to slide about 3mm below the scoops. This caused the jumping. A pair of pliers was all it took to bend the flaps down ever so slightly to adjust. It took about a year for me to figure it out. May not be your problem, but it was mine. I can provide pictures if necessary.

Quoted from Cheeks:

No, he's actually talking about tabs that set the height of the upper playfield module in comparison to the scoops/walls. Look at your upper playfield and see the relative heights of the following:
-upper playfield
-walls
-scoops
-metal blocks at the sides of the playfield (next to the scoops)
All of these should be essentially the same height, and there are a few means of adjusting things depending on what you find.

Reading is a skill and I should try it once in a while.

I had problems with the ball hopping and not making the ramps. Occasionally it would sort of spin in place right on the metal ramp entrance flap. My issue had to do with playfield module height relative to the rest of the lower playfield items. Sorry for the off-topic troubleshooting if this had nothing to do with your symptoms. That said, my post is still relevant for others that have airball problems. I had to go through a series of adjustments to get the upper, lower, walls, and scoops into alignment.

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

One other suggestion from the family was about starting multiballs - Both police multiball and Crane multiball are pretty tough to start - maybe one or the other could be a bit easier?

Isn't starting crane multiball about collecting enough money? There are already settings for changing the volume and value of the dollar bills, which I think I was the impetus behind. I wanted aiming for the bills to be more purposeful. I think a few high value bills is more fun than a cloud of cheap bills. It forces you to aim for the bills when they're there versus knowing your ball will roll over most of them and the rest aren't valuable enough to risk shooting for. Heist doesn't really use virtual targets much, so this seemed like a way to incorporate it into the gameplay a bit more.

That said, you could crank up the volume and value of money to be whatever you want to make crane easier to start.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

And I'm going to go a bit against the grain, here, and say that you should keep the difficulty level up high where it is, *especially* where starting multiballs are concerned. I think that one of the things that's been lost over the last 30+ years or so of pinball is the idea that not everything should be attainable on every play, for every player/person. Multiball used to be the SINGULAR OBJECTIVE of a machine, the main goal where you built, and built, and built to, and then made it pay off IF YOU COULD. Oh, you might have a 2-ball quickie interspersed somewhere in there for giggles and light entertainment, but they didn't call it "Quick Multiball" for nothing, you know?
Starting multiball should be an *achievement*. A mile marker. A triumph. Otherwise, it just becomes a cheap thing that everybody can get pretty much regardless of skill level...the "consolation" award that Data East started offering many years ago was, in this man's opinion, a mistake. These days, with several multiballs offered by each machine, it could still be said that multiball is cheapened enough already...do we *really* need to dumb it down too much more? MAKE IT TOUGH TO ACHIEVE.
Allowing for earned EBs could be a help, yes, but don't cheapen the journey to, or the award of, multiball. The dynamics of the game are good as-is, I think: I mean, one of the multiballs is actually *subtractive* in nature, something that I do not believe has ever been done/tried before, and is used here to *terrific* effect!!! You actually *want* to get back down to one ball, and have multiball end by your shooting shots...not draining balls. It's very different, and quite cool.
Multiball should *not* be for everyone...multiball should be for winners, folks. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Don't cheapen it.

This is in line with why I requested that the money dispersed on ATM hits be configurable. Right now, a cloud of bills floats down every time you hit the target, and individual balls are not worth very much. I don't know how many (by default) or how much they're worth; let's just say 10 bills worth $10 each. That's a large enough cloud that the ball is going to roll over a good portion of them by you just flailing around at whatever you were otherwise shooting for. As such, I've never thought that getting to crane multiball was particularly difficult and never felt overly purposeful.

On the other hand, lets say you changed the money settings to 1 bill worth $150. Technically, ATM hits are worth more, but you would be forced to aim for the bill before you lost it. You're much less likely to roll over it by chance, and at $150, it is comparatively worth way more. Due to this, you're much more likely to interrupt what you were doing to focus on the bill flittering down the screen.

Considering that this is essentially the only virtual target aspect to Heist, I think this philosophy rounds out the P3 experience. By adding the settings for bill volume and value, this is configurable along a wide spectrum from easier than stock, to much harder. Regardless of where individuals set it, I would encourage fewer bills worth more money to add the risk reward aspect to collecting money.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

I can understand this more, and while I don't really/completely buy into it, I can accept this, in the same way that I can accept changing from 3 balls to 5 balls, I suppose. I believe that you're forgetting the lure of the Armored Car, and trying to hit that in order to secure a good deal of funds in one fell swoop. Also, the doughnuts are virtual targets, so there's that.
I still believe that multiball should be reserved for those that *earn* it, rather than rendering it something that can be expected by everyone, in every game. I strongly believe that the proliferation of multiball, and the ease of access to it, is an issue that continues to be present and unfortunate. I think Heist! does a good job of striking a decent balance with it.
I love my World Poker Tour, but does it really *need* all of the "standard" multiballs that it has? 1. No Limit 2. All-In 3. Ace-In-The-Hole 4. Poker Hands 5. I'm pretty sure I'm missing one off the top of my head. Many of these can be stacked together and started while playing others, and oh, yes: this doesn't include any non-standard multiballs like wizard modes or anything.
Ranger In The Ruins may take things a bit too far, yes, but it's still an "Oh, YES!!!!!!!" moment when you can get a multiball going there. Too bad there isn't much to do *in* the multiball, but still: achievement unlocked, to use a previously coined phrase.
Heist! balances well, here, and just because something is a bit harder-to-reach than you might like it to be doesn't mean that you should attempt to shorten the reach necessary to grasp it...maybe you just need to stretch yourself, and your skill level, a mite bit further. It feels *so much better* when you achieve your goal through pluck, ambition, and hard work rather than just shortening the field for yourself.
I mean, want some short-term shots in the arm? Qualify and do some side jobs! Concentrate on getting Macguffins for one particular character! Collect Crosstown loops/combos! There are other things to do and satisfy that itch rather than just make multiball easier to qualify and start.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting making the multiball easier to achieve, although the settings allow you to do that. I'm merely suggesting that the current ATM configuration doesn't create an incentive to shoot for the money cloud, it just happens. If you're supposed to collect money after hitting the ATM targets, make it something you have to actually shoot for rather than achieve by continuing to shoot what you were already shooting.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Question - is there a best practice for using the leveling program that's in the settings? I'm confused as to whether I should read the top level or the bottom level (or middle), and the levels keep bouncing up and down so fast I can't read them.
My L/R is pretty steady at 0, but the vertical oscillates between 6 and 7.2 or so.

Wha...huh? Here’s another place where Gerry will mock me, but I’ve been a P3 owner since the first batch and I didn’t even know there was a leveling program. LOL. The little level meters below the flippers are pretty jumpy as you describe, and as such I kinda question the accuracy, but I had no clue there was a leveling app in the settings.

That said, I still haven’t set up profiles for me and my wife, so I’m a crappy P3 owner anyway. Come to think of it I need to do this. Hey Gerry, do any of your games have that co-op thing? : )

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from Law:

If you select the same user profile for both P1 and P2 (or whichever players), they share progress! You can even set it up so that it's one player vs a team of other players

Yeah, I was actually joking about this. The P3 system started the whole co-op thing years ago, but many people who played TMNT think it's a new idea Stern stole from TNA.

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dang, I didn't know that either. Very cool.

TNA has it because they're using Gerry's boards. Scott Danesi popularized co-op because TNA is such a hit and seems made for multiplayer (competitive / co-op). However, if memory serves, Gerry was showing off a version of the profile system and team-based play back at shows (remember pinball shows) before the production version of Lexy was officially released.

So, however you cut it, Gerry is actually the OG of co-op play.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

+1 to the P3 game collection!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Possibly the most under-appreciated game in all of pinball. There literally isn't another game with as much mode diversity. Great use of the walls/scoops and the virtual targets in certain modes. I love the nods (whether intentional or not) to AFM. The alien modes are like killing saucers and the lights out multiball reminds me of AFM's strobe multiball. I can understand if rednecks turn you off, but the voice acting is better in Lexy than Heist.

Congrats!

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I don't think this logically follows. The P-ROC board system is very nice but has nothing to do with player state management.

Technically true, but Spooky had been using Ben’s board for RZ and they said it cannot handle co-op (or maybe could but wasn’t worth figuring out - I forget).

Then they switched to P-ROC and Gerry had already figured out and implemented this. The rest is history.

How much causality there was between each step, I don’t know from the outside. But anecdotally, this is generally how things progressed, and Multimorphic was the first I know of to have co-op (not counting the old “team play” where the machine added up player 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4).

#652 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow! And I got my CCR today too!! Wooooo

Buy RitR immediately. Best bang for the buck on the P3. bingopodcast crushed it. Super fun.

#658 3 years ago

there's also the excitement of cataloging the items and their effects.

Thus far, I have not really cared about score. It’s been all about finding unique items and trying to figure out what they do.

My wife is a trooper. She plays games with me and puts up with all that comes along with having a large collection of nerdy man-toys. She’s a casual level player at best, and for the most part doesn’t care which games we play when we go to the basement for a night of adult beverages and pinball.

That said, she’s super into RitR (not at all to take away from how much I too love this game). The clear and concise objectives make it easy for even the most basic players to jump into. The music is amazingly selected and visuals set the mood. Using the CCR playfield was brilliant because of the LED light shows, but also because cranking combos at full speed makes it easy to lose the ball quickly. I definitely recommend people keep things set to 1-ball games. Drain and done is definitely part of the roguelike charm.

But beyond all that, we’ve totally nerded out and created a pen and paper log of the items we’ve found and what they do. We’re still far away from finding all the items and even farther away from knowing what they all do. For anyone who thinks this sounds interesting and fun, do yourself a favor and just play the game without watching streams. The magic comes in the hunt for items and their functions.

Will the game lose some of its appeal once we find/decipher all the items? I’m sure. But it will have been the best $150 I’ve ever spent in pinball.

1 week later
#677 3 years ago

Made another one, here are the measurements and materials needed:
2x4s and 1x2s.
2x4s: 2x40in.
6x 9in.
2x 16.5in.
1x 19.5.
1x2s:
2x 19 14/16ths in.
2x 41.5in.
Need two size screws - 1.5in and 2.5in. Both either #6 or #8. I used #8.
I assembled with a circular saw, impact driver and corded drill. You can skip the impact driver if you like. I also had a sanding block to knock off splintered wood from being impatient and bad.

P3 programmer by day...
P3 carpenter by night...

What *can't* bingopodcast do? That is the question.

Seriously Nick, thanks for the breakdown. I've been wanting to create something like this. If that slacker GERRY doesn't come up with something formal, that also covers the playfields from dust, then I'll definitely be mimicking your build.

#680 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm sure there is a joke there somewhere; but I don't know him well enough yet.

8 years on Pinside and you haven’t realized it’s totally acceptable (expected) to throw questionably appropriate jabs at people you barely know?

#687 3 years ago

Completed the paint job on my P3 caddy today. The furniture sliders still take some oomph to move but it’s better than without. Casters would definitely be easier to scoot around but this will work for now.
My cover is underway, will post pics once it’s complete.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does this fit between the legs from the front? Do you have the height clearance to add casters instead? Did you use the measurements that Nick provided or figure out your own design?

1 week later
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Look, dad... Thanks for your opinion.
This isn't a multimorphic problem. The fact that you think it is ... Is a problem.
Don't tell me what to do, Pops.

Seriously, what is your issue? Geez! The guy didn't roll in here calling the product a POS and telling Gerry he needed to fix his game. He humbly came in and said "if anyone might be able to help me with an issue on the Multimorphic P3-ROC..."

I literally don't understand why anyone would jump all over him for this. I've got a Full Throttle with an issue and since Heighway is out of business I'm gonna be humbly searching for help anywhere I can think of too.

What more logical place would there be for this guy to take a chance that someone might be able to help? Some of the bitching on this site is absolutely beyond me!

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So, I don't see what the problem with that was.

There's only one person that does.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

Now about that Heist software update...

I'd start clamoring about when we're going to see it, but then I remember I still have a survey to fill out.

#738 3 years ago

Um, yes please![quoted image]

Can anyone tell me where in the podcast this discussion is? I jumped around and found a discussion about Scott getting a P3, but they didn't mention his involvement in an upcoming game. I've heard lots of Scott on other podcasts talking about TNA, etc., so I didn't really plan on listening to the full 2+ hours. But I'd love to hear what he says about his P3 involvement.

3 weeks later
#746 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Dear P3 enthusiasts,
We are looking for a programmer to join our team. We are a small group of hobbyists working on an upper-playfield module and game for the P3 pinball platform. We have a game concept, upper module design, ruleset, some artwork and software. We have completed our first whitewood and are about to commence making the second. We are currently working on this without any kind of financial reward but we do have a view towards taking our module to production when it is ready. Some Unity experience would be preferred. Please message me for further information if you are interested.

I can't wait to see what you have cooking!

itmoved (resized).jpgitmoved (resized).jpg
3 months later
#787 2 years ago

Hmm...I wonder if there's a reason the CCR playfield is the one being shown in this teaser?

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

CCR just really isn't my cup of tea, and no: RITR did *nothing* to convince me to the contrary.

Meh...different strokes. RITR is awesome!

am making a full module for my fourth.

Wait, what?!? You're designing a physical playfield module for your next game? Talk about taking the next step!

#808 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I saved up and bought the CCR module. Excited about that one. I have finally completed the collection of all the modules!!! ....that is until MM releases the next module... haha! I gotta say, it is definitely easier to save up for new pinball machines on the p3 platform.
--Scott

Time to Ruin some Rangers, bro!

Quoted from AMSNL:

Awesome! Time to go online

Yeah Scott, time to go online. My wife still clings to the fact that she beat Gerry in an online CCR race. She LOVES the music in TNA (who doesn't), so it would just be another feather in her cap if she could defeat Mr. TNA-beats in a race too. Make it so...

#812 2 years ago

ROCs got a few more changes too.

Geez, you guys are gonna need to issue Scott a restraining order. Danesi's creeping into ROCs now too? Dude's straight up stalking you!

1 month later
#841 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Grand Slam Rally is REALLY REALLY fun. I put in the CL playfield specifically to play it, and I don’t even like baseball that much! It is SO different from all the other games its amazing to have the diversity

The problem is the price. How a pitch and bat on the CL playfield costs only $100 less than Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is a really cool FULL game makes no sense. GSR is literally the only P3 game I don't own. GSR should be priced more in the range of Nick's games.

#847 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Not much Gerry can do, it's third party.

Yeah, I know. I didn't say it was on Gerry. I know the history and timing of the release of this, but it doesn't change the fact that today, the value prop on GSR is out of whack with literally everything else on the P3.

#849 2 years ago

Note - Cheeks and I often talk privately in email about all things P3. He's got a good grasp of our business model, and we value his opinion

*blush*

If people think some games over overpriced and some games are underpriced, we're probably pretty close

Fair, and probably the correct perspective. You can keep GSR overpriced if you promise to continue providing the most underpriced games on the market. Sorcerer's Apprentice was the fastest and most no-brainer $500 I've spent in pinball. Sorry Nick, now RitR is only the 2nd best bang for your buck on the P3. (So don't go lowering GSR as an excuse to raise other stuff. )

I personally would much rather pay $399 for GSR on the P3 than buy a standalone Pitch and Bat game.

I thought for sure this sentence was going to end with a comparison to topper prices (not that $399 even gets you a topper these days). Hell, you could cost justify just about anything if you compare it to what people pay for stupid toppers.

I'm not really sure why GSR is where I've chosen to put my foot down and "vote with my wallet," because I've certainly made many more frivolous and expensive purchases. I think as more great-value content comes out, the current GSR value prop won't age well. Just my opinion.

1 month later
#949 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Ok, was just relying on the community support here, but can certainly go through email.

Really whatever makes you comfortable is fine, but probably best to handle it off of pinside,

Geez guys...get a room!

3 months later
#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Heist is a fast, tough game at factory settings but it’s certainly not linear.

Yeah, the linear comment made NO sense. I understand that the gateway to everything is the same 5 crew jobs. But you can do whichever one(s) you want, and there are then Heists (mini-wizard modes) for each size crew, which adds a diversity and risk-reward to the gameplay. And as you say, there are the various jailbreaks, multiple multiballs, etc. If you don't like the game - fine. If it's too hard/easy - fine (although there are a ton of settings for that). But linear - no way.

4 weeks later
#1122 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’ll look more in the map but if anyone knows of a spot I can take my teenage kids with to go try out P3 please lmk .I’ll check back .Thanks .

*ahem*

2 weeks later
#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from Jay_Killjoy:

OK so I'm very excited about my new toy coming hopefully in the next few months. I've been doing some research and thinking about trying to sneak some purchases ahead of time under the radar
1. I am very surprised that Multimorphic isn't selling an under game storage solution yet! I searched around a bit and it seems like people are storing the playfield modules in the original cardboard boxes? I can't believe a 3rd-party modder hasn't cashed in on this yet (or have they?). I guess my question is what are you all doing/what are some creative solutions to storing these? I would prefer under the game.
2. I am getting WAMONH. What should be the first and maybe second module I should get? Heist looks pretty awesome. I find it interesting that you not only need to consider the main module game but also any downloadable games that work on that specific module.
3. Are the alternate software games I can play on my module worth it? I wish Multimorphic sorted the game list by module on their site to make it easier but it looks like I should be able to also play Shoot n Scoot, Barnyard, & ROCs. Since they are software (and expensive) it would be great if they offered demos that only ran for a few games.
4. Any must-have mods for P3 in general that are recommended? Or things I should know?

Here are a few posts I've made in the past detailing my thoughts as an early adopter, and some considerations about the other 3 main playfields. Just note that the first link is older, before Sorcerer's Apprentice came out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-club/page/12#post-6151650

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heist-or-cosmic-cart-racing-what-to-pair-with-weird-al-on-p3#post-6798367

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heist-or-cosmic-cart-racing-what-to-pair-with-weird-al-on-p3#post-6798733

As for mini-games: if you buy CCR - you have to buy Ranger in the Ruins. Great, cheap mini-game. But even before that, any CCR owner should also buy Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's not a mini-game, it's a full-on new game (rules, graphics, etc.) for the CCR playfield.

ROCs is awesome, and works on any playfield module - it's Asteroids with a pinball. Really fun. The rest are more niche games that may or may not fit your style.

5 months later
#1537 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I will definitely buy a stool or such.
I’m thinking about getting a mobile winch. But would something like shown below really work if the playfield needs to be pulled out perpendicular to the slanted playfield. I know, this is probably overkill and will stand on a stool first.
https://www.vestil.com/product.php?FID=272

Come on man, don't over think it. Get a step stool for a few bucks and be done with it. I have exactly this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B014WOXB6O/ref=sxin_15

It makes a huge difference.

4 months later
#2043 1 year ago
Quoted from Shaker:

What would you guys do if Multimorphic releases a really good playfield module with a theme that you *hate*???
Suck it up and buy it, or wait for the next next module?
- Mark

Theme I *hate* I'd pass. I've been in "buy everything they make mode" but I think I'm over that too.

I was not excited when I heard the Weird Al theme, but jumped in anyway because the playfield looked packed (and I had every other playfield to date).

Unfortunately my instincts were right, I'm just not connecting with the theme and the gameplay hasn't been enough to overcome that for me. It's the first time I've ever thought of selling one of the P3 modules, and I've been on the system since the VERY beginning.

I'm not a theme whore either - example: I have Stranger Things even though I don't like the show. That game is AWESOME. I have Iron Maiden even though I kinda hate their music. That game is AWESOME. For some reason, beyond my ambivalence for Al, I'm just not feeling the new game.

For what it's worth, my ranking of the "main" games is:

Heist
Lexy

Socerer's Apprentice

CCR

Weird Al

Cannon Lagoon

I'm holding onto Weird Al hoping they pull a Sorcerer's Apprentice and put a second major game on the playfield. If I knew for sure they weren't ever going to do that, I'd probably look to unload Al.

I'm really hoping for something darker and adult themed. EVERYTHING from Multimorphic has been exceedingly family-friendly. It's time to cater to a different crowd. I'd lose my shit for the Matrix on the P3. I know that's too big of a license, but that playfield screen makes P3 the perfect platform for something epic like that.

All that said, I'm eager to see the 2 new titles this year, and I hope I want both. But I'm probably done buying no matter what.

#2045 1 year ago
Quoted from Shaker:

Just having some therioterical fun, here are my votes for the theme's mentioned above:
Yes, Please!:
Princess Bride
Little Shop of Horrors (Not the original. The Musical directed by Frank Oz.)
Big Trouble in Little China
Meh.:
Labyrinth
Space Balls (I loved both Young Frankenstein and Blazzing Saddles, but buy the time Space Balls rolled around, I was like: I used to find this stuff funny?)
Beatles’ Yellow Submarine (I'm just not that cheerful...)
Phineas & Ferb (Never see it...)
F', NO!:
Goonies (Sorry.)
What are your votes or dream themes?
- Mark

Oof. To each their own. These would all be hard passes for me.

That said, I'm not jazzed about any of the rumored themes from the major players either.

Venom - Foo Fighters - Godfather... LOL

1 month later
#2272 1 year ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Base order is for Heist! and I am in line for an FR eventually. Curious about which modules current owners recommend based on actual playing time & diversity of flow. Really trying to decide the order of WAMONH, CCR & LL. (CL is an eventual but not imminent order).

Depends what you're looking for and what style games you like.

For what it's worth, my ranking of the "main" games is:

Heist
Lexy

Sorcerer's Apprentice

CCR

Weird Al

Cannon Lagoon

I think Lexy is one of the most underrated games I've played (P3 or not). It's a fun mode-based game that truly has unmatched diversity in the modes. It uses all the tech available in the P3. If you like AFM at all, there are a lot of nods to that game. It's way more complex than AFM, but there are both gameplay and tonal ties to that game. Also has great risk-reward multiball trying to build up the 8-ball physical ball lock.

CCR/SA(/RitR) is definitely the best bang for the buck, but you have to like super flowy playfields. Seriously, Steve Ritchie ain't got nothin on the smoothness of the shots in this game. If you get it going, it's a combo monster. CCR is pretty light in story, but is still fun. The career mode is mostly where it's at with this game. SA is much more story driven. VERY cool (but difficult) multiball dynamic. You collect spells in modes, and then need to use specific spells to earn jackpots. Flippers use one set of buttons, you change spells with another set of buttons. Requires some finger gymnastics, but is such a cool and unique approach. Both games are very hurry-up oriented.

As you can see, I'm in the minority not really digging Weird Al. I think the mechs and different ramps/ball paths are really cool, but I'm just not into the theme or most of the mode execution. A lot of modes are "hit this, but not that" where the things you're not supposed to hit are 10x easier than the things you're supposed to hit (I get MURDERED in the Home Team mode every time).

I'm an OG on the P3 platform, so let me know if you have any specific questions about anything.

#2279 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

We have not had a redo since ccr into the wizard and it’s better than the og ,we need more rethemes .

I *REALLY* hope Multimorphic has software-only re-themes as part of their business plan going forward! It's amazing how different CCR and SA feel, even though they use the same playfield.

I like Heist a lot, but I'd love to see something else full-featured on it. I think something like a modern-day version of Bally's WhoDunnit would be cool on this playfield. Something that randomized the who, what, where, how of crimes and you had to solve them as part of the playing strategy would be cool and fits within the cityscape (complete with jail once you convict the right suspect). WhoDunnit was a cool idea, but I didn't love the playfield, and the "mysteries" were the same things every time. This platform could bring you into something that was different every game, and required a lot of strategy and critical thinking on top of the pinball playing.

I'm sure Weird Al sold enough on its own, but I'd love to see another theme on that playfield too. Lots of cool stuff on that module, I hate that I don't love the theme.

#2292 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I think something like a modern-day version of Bally's WhoDunnit would be cool on the Heist playfield. Something that randomized the who, what, where, how of crimes and you had to solve them as part of the playing strategy would be cool and fits within the cityscape (complete with jail once you convict the right suspect). WhoDunnit was a cool idea, but I didn't love the playfield, and the "mysteries" were the same things every time. This platform could bring you into something that was different every game, and required a lot of strategy and critical thinking on top of the pinball playing.

I'm gonna double-down on my own idea here...

"As of Jan. 2023, the world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes, has fully entered the public domain."

A "licensed" detective theme without needing a license. Gerry, you can make all royalty checks out to Cheeks.

#2297 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sherlock? Humm... Bet Robert Downey would disagree. Copyrights are mine fields

This has nothing to do with those crappy movies. Sherlock Holmes the entity is now public domain and does not require licensing.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/sherlock-holmes-classic-tales-and-songs-enter-public-domain-in-2023

1 month later
#2690 11 months ago

Yeah, the "DLC" on the CCR playfield is Ranger in the Ruins. Best $150 you can spend in pinball. Super fun 1-ball mini-game.

Sorcerer's Apprentice is a FULL FEATURED game on the CCR playfield. And news flash...it's better than CCR. It's the best $500 you can spend in pinball.

None of these 3 games are my favorite game on the P3, but the sheer amount of quality content makes CCR an extremely compelling module that everyone should probably own.

#2692 11 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

waait, which is your favorite?

Favorite game on the P3? I've posted this before, and while all the new Weird Al people will disagree with me, below is how I rank the FULL games. Theme has a lot to do with this, but also the rules and diversity of gameplay. I think there's a chance Final Resistance could jump all the way to the top for me. TNA 2.0? Yes please!

Heist
Lexy

Socerer's Apprentice

CCR

Weird Al

Cannon Lagoon

#2711 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

For gamers, it’s pretty easy

To understand maybe...but the finger gymnastics required to change spells while shooting jackpots in multiball is anything but easy!

But I love it, there's no other game like it.

3 weeks later
#2786 10 months ago

I've gotten FABULOUS support when opening a ticket on their support site. Sometimes it's Gerry himself.

4 months later
#3104 6 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

What Gerry said ^^^^^^^^
I made mine into a profile for the folks who for some reason are incapable of using more than 1 button per side.
It reminds me of anyone who's never played pinball. They start by chimp flipping both sides when the ball gets close to the flippers. Then they understand the left right thing eventually. Kinda the same with these. Haunted house in the 80's had separate buttons (main/upper/lower pf). Folks weren't throwing fits back then about it. You just played the game as designed.

This is exactly the opposite experience I have with other people. I introduce everyone I can to the P3, and there hasn't been a single person that was in favor of the split buttons. Veteran players don't want to learn a new control scheme for a single machine, they find the extra buttons awkward. New players just ignore them and never use the upper flippers.

Ultimately I set the games to single-button, but then the upper flippers lose strength and are easily knocked down by the ball. I'm all for having the option...but it should be an option. I'm one of the earliest P3 adopters, so I'm as supportive as they come. But I just don't understand why the games don't support a fully-functioning one button setup (which includes upper playfields and equal "strength") in addition to the split buttons. Everything about the P3 as an ecosystem has been about being inclusive to all types of players. To ignore people that expect to control this game like ALL others seems strange.

Even Turner pinball (), as much of a joke as their situation is, had a single flipper game next to a split flipper game at expo. They were completely tone deaf to most of the feedback regarding their "innovations" but only needed a day or two to realize that everyone at the show preferred the single-button setup. Since the P3 *could* have fully functioning versions of both options, it makes no sense to me why you wouldn't want the best experience for the most amount of players.

#3114 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’m fine with the two buttons, just wish they, or someone, would offer an alternate button box that is ergonomically better for people that use their index finger. Like the design used by American Pinball. Would just need to move the yellow button back more under the red.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's also on Starship Troopers,

This!

The reason SST works is 1) you don't need to use the second button, and 2) if/when you want to use it, it's right underneath the primary flipper button, so your middle finger rests on it ergonomically. If the P3 had a button box with the secondary button positioned like this, I could see people *FAR* more likely to adopt it. Sticking to your index finger as the primary control and easily using your middle finger for secondary control would allow people to still use the main flippers the way they do on every other game. This would make the split usage much more intuitive.

For people that use the split buttons currently, I assume you are using your middle finger on the primary button and your index finger on the upper button? Or are you trying to move your index to use it for both buttons?

3 months later
#3474 75 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

same. It does take a bit of getting used to, but for games where the upper flippers are key, you don't have enough time to move your hand and still make a clean shot

I really wish they'd make an alternate button box where the upper flipper button was just below the standard button. This would be a MUCH more comfortable positioning, and it would allow you to use your "normal" finger for the primary flippers. The biggest complaint about the split buttons is having to learn to use a different finger. If you could use your index finger for the main flippers, like you do on EVERY other game, the learning curve would be much less - and I think they'd get a much higher adoption rate by players new to the platform.

Someone created a homemade version of exactly this, but it would be really cool if there was an official one from Multimorphic - especially since they used to publicize that the button boxes are easily swappable.

#3476 75 days ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I really wish they'd make an alternate button box where the upper flipper button was just below the standard button. This would be a MUCH more comfortable positioning, and it would allow you to use your "normal" finger for the primary flippers. The biggest complaint about the split buttons is having to learn to use a different finger. If you could use your index finger for the main flippers, like you do on EVERY other game, the learning curve would be much less - and I think they'd get a much higher adoption rate by players new to the platform.
Someone created a homemade version of exactly this, but it would be really cool if there was an official one from Multimorphic - especially since they used to publicize that the button boxes are easily swappable.

Quoted from mbelofsky:

This has been discussed previously, but with the set up of the buttons (in my opinion) it puts fingers in the wrong place.
In an ideal world, I use my index finger to play pinball all my life. So on every manufacturer except P3, I used my index fingers to control the main flippers (and of course the upper flippers as well).
On the P3, based on the position of the buttons, my index finger is now on the white button to control the upper flipper (or changing lanes for features) and my ring finger is on the red button to control the lower flippers. This is totally un-intuitive. Sometime during the game, I will use my wrong finger when not thinking and lose the ball. The world will not come to an end and life goes on.
Other posts have suggested reconfiguring the buttons. If the buttons were in a position such that my index finger controlled the lower flippers and my middle or ring finger controlled the upper flippers, this would be consistent with how I play all the time and would be an easier transition into the P3 world for most people, I believe.

LOL - what he said...

#3477 75 days ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

An interesting setting in software I would love to try is to keep my fingers as I stated:
index finger on white button
Ring finger on red button.

To me this is a comfortable position.

If we could have a software setting that makes the white button control the lower flipers (so I am using my index finger)
and
the red button controlling the upper flippers (my ring finger) , that would be an intesting option to see if I can play better and feel "more normal".

I'd certainly like to try this too, but the ergonomics of the existing button positions are not ideal. I agree with you that it would be better than it currently is, but ideally I'd love more naturally positioned buttons that accomplish what we're both talking about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11,700.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

11,999 (OBO)
8,499 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Meriden, CT
1,700 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Round Rock, TX
$ 20.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-club?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.