IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
SYSCORE_NO_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg
SYSCORE_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg
AdditionalSpaceAfterDelivery (resized).jpg
SA_NO_CUTOUTS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 NEWS: Multimorphic 2018 game issues summary Posted by gstellenberg (5 years ago)

Post #969 NEWS: Bowen Kerins and Colin McAlpine joining the team Posted by PinballTilt (2 years ago)

Post #1773 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Switching Modules how-to video Posted by KevInBuffalo (1 year ago)

Post #2996 NEWS: Games available breakdown for each module Posted by Rdoyle1978 (7 months ago)

Post #3054 TECH: CABINET. How to remove cabinet head Posted by DigitalJedi084 (6 months ago)

Post #3099 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Upper and lower flippers single button setting Posted by gstellenberg (6 months ago)

Post #3198 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Weird Al right ramp continuously going up and down fix Posted by bingopodcast (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2526 1 year ago

So in the next week or so I should be picking up a used system with several games. I'm very excited! It needs a small amount of work and I have a preliminary question: How are these to work on vs traditional pins? I can see them being harder, but can also imagine them being easier.

#2530 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Asking trade secret information from a business is rude. Pretty simple really

Zitt you've mentioned several times that you think it's rude. Registered, got it. Now in addition to having your current opinion, try considering this other one: No one is trying to be rude. People are inquisitive. -I'M- inquisitive. I love seeing numbers. I would love to know many of the stats for many games and companies. I think it would be rude to -expect- that info from them, but not to inquire about it.

When I had my businesses people would occasionally ask me about different numbers (and recipes), and I was generally happy to share them. On the rare occasion I didn't want to tell them, I simply said that. And that was it. I didn't think they were rude. On the contrary, they seemed genuinely interested in my business. -I'M- genuinely interested in Multimorphic and other manufacturers. I'd love to sit down, pick their brains, ask them "Why do you do this? Why do you do that? How is that working out for you?" and then listen to their answers. If that's not you, that's OK. But that does describe some of us. Or at least me!

#2566 1 year ago

It's weird seeing this ongoing conversation about the value of the P3 system vs traditional pins. It's pretty simple:

-If you want multiple games on a single pin, the P3 system is a great value and is a better value than most other options. It's MADE for this.
-If you want only one game, it's going to be relatively expensive. It's just not what the P3 is really designed for. Like buying a PS5 so you can play a single title. You can do it, and it'll work great...but it's going to cost you.

#2585 1 year ago

Aright, I picked up a P3 system locally yesterday and have a few issues/questions. I spent a couple hours last night researching (more researching than playing) and only came up with a few answers. I'm pretty comfortable working on traditional pins, but this one has me pulling a little hair out.
-How do I find the default settings for having both top and bottom flippers triggered by one button? I created my profile and see I can set it there. Is that it? Is there not a "default for machine" setting?
-How accurate is the onscreen leveling? Mine jumps about .8 degrees constantly, even when everything is dead still. That makes accurately leveling a challenge. I tried using my traditional digital level but it was very different depending on where on the playfield I was measuring which was interesting. I assume the clear plastic playfield isn't 100% flat.

-This is the most important one: I have multiple games that are having VUK issues. I hear the coil firing, and sometimes I see a ball trying to make it up (90% of the way), sometimes it's in the machine and I see nothing. I pulled the playfields out a dozen times last night trying to troubleshoot. I've read everywhere that the alignment for these is adjustable, but other than for Weird Al (which I don't have) I don't see directions for this.

I've had some other issues that I'm still troubleshooting, but the above are the big ones right now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2587 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

arcyallen, there is a lot of information in the support section of the Multimorphic website https://www.multimorphic.com/support/projects/customer-support/wiki
Free login required.

Yeah, that's one of the several sites I scoured last night. For hours. That gave me some answers, but not the ones I still need!

#2593 1 year ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Oh, and the most important thing - test your launchers in the Diagnostics application->Under Playfield. For Heist, you will want to go into the Playfield Module section and open the jail door first.
You can also easily adjust strengths of the launchers in the Under Playfield screen if desired/needed.

Excellent info (all of it) - thanks!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Which games do you have? It may not be the VUK itself, but the top part of the playfield. I had to adjust my Heist VUK strength down so the ball wasn't bouncing off the scoop hood

I have CCR, Lexy, Cannon Lagoon, and Heist. The only VUK issue I seem to have now is on CL. On the left VUK the ball makes it half the time, the other half of the time it makes it 80% up. I cranked the power even though it works fine for the other modules (it was near max already) and didn't help. If it's an alignment issue, which I assume it is, I need to really look hard at the tube to understand what I can align. I hear:

Quoted from bingopodcast:You may be able to adjust the tubes by placing small fender washers under the launcher tube alignment brackets (put one in the corner in front of the tube that's too far forward and it'll tilt it very slightly back, for example).

but don't know what that means exactly. I've used nylon washers to shim other up post coil mounting brackets, but I'm not seeing something on this that is similar. Now that I know that's a real option, I'll look at it again (for the 18th time, haha). Also, the previous owner mentioned laying some blue tape on the "VUK tube stop", which there's already some on there now.

I do have other questions:
-The only way I can get Lexy to work is with 9 balls. If I use any more, I can hear (what I believe is) the "drain coil" firing over and over, with all of the balls stuck in that area and none in the VUK area or the tray in front of it. Any suggestions?
-Also on Lexy, the screen shows some distortion/static at times. Is this a fancy effect, or is something off? (see pics)

PXL_20230418_210522718 (resized).jpgPXL_20230418_210522718 (resized).jpgPXL_20230418_210523163 (resized).jpgPXL_20230418_210523163 (resized).jpg
#2597 1 year ago

As I'm doing more troubleshooting tonight, can someone tell me if it's ok to turn on the power to the machine with the upper playfield unplugged? There are tons of warnings about practically everything else, and I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere this was OK, but I don't feel like frying anything tonight.

While I'd already read a bunch on the P3 site, I've opened almost every link now in the support section. There is a LOT there, way more than any other manufacturer. Stunning!

#2599 1 year ago

If the module is unplugged, it is ok to turn on the machine. -Do not plug the module in or unplug the module while the power is on, but it's fine to start the p3 without the module installed.
Be aware that you don't want to launch balls in underplayfield diagnostics without a module installed. Otherwise, you should be fine. Haha

Yeah, I was trying to calculate how far the ball would fly...or, more realistically, how hard it would it hit me in the face as I watched it...if I fired a VUK with the module out

Thanks

#2610 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Just got lexy nib and the left up kick going to the left ramp keeps popping the ball but it never makes it up. Almost like the ball isn’t lined up. It does look like the ball is to the back of it but was curious if this is common? Any fixes?
Everything else works great. It will eventually use the right ramp but it would be nice to have it working properly
[quoted image]

Check out https://www.multimorphic.com/support/projects/customer-support/wiki/VUK_Issues. The site looks sparse at first, but when you start digging there is a TON of excellent tech info there. I'm a new owner and am still getting my bearings, but this should point you in the right direction!

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Question: Are the default flipper strength settings for Weird Al listed anywhere?

Are the default settings for anything indicated anywhere? Usually on a pin the default setting shows up as a different color onscreen, but I'm not seeing that anywhere on my P3. But I'm color blind - extra challenge!

#2611 1 year ago

Can someone confirm the styrofoam box inserts are the same for every module? Someone said "yes" in an earlier post, but mine are definitely NOT the same amongst my three boxes. Perhaps one of them got switched or something. If someone wants to be extra charitable and send a pic of what the inserts -should- look like, I'd greatly appreciate it.

#2615 1 year ago

Taken from https://www.multimorphic.com/support/projects/customer-support/wiki/VUK_Issues:

"For the issue of no balls being read by the sensors, pressure to the left most tube can be applied from either the left or right side while monitoring [Under Playfield] test in Diagnostics. "

Can someone explain how to do this with power still getting to the playfield? If you pull it "all the way out" and rest it on a table, the cords aren't long enough to still be plugged in. If you leave the playfield in service position one, I can't see a way to reach in to push on the tube. The instructions actually say to pull the wires off, so I don't know if it's an oversight or I'm not fully understanding directions. This has been known to happen from time to time

#2645 12 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

shaker motor will just shake things apart and cause tons of problems with connectors and what not. Every game that has a shaker, magically has a ton of screws laying the bottom of the cabinet. you really want it shaking things loose that have push style connectors everywhere?

I've never had any of these issues on my shaker-equipped pins. On one hand, I'd think they'd cause more "wear and tear rattles", but on the other that hasn't been the case for me.

#2659 12 months ago

I've been having a bear of a time with VUKs and optos behaving erratically, and I finally figured out the semi-comical cause. I had about fifteen balls lined up in all the trough VUKs and many of the balls weren't showing up in diagnostics. This had happened many times before, causing random firings and jams md-game. Staring at them, something was clearly off. Staring at them super closely, I realized FIVE of the balls were small. Maybe 1" vs the standard 1 1/16" size. FIVE. I took them out, weighed them (65 grams vs 80 grams) and, replaced them with regular balls. Problem (so far) solved. Now I have to figure out where those balls came from, and if the other pins in my house are now randomly infected with them! I assume the person I bought the system from had some other pin projects going on an mixed the balls up.

Anyone know what a 65 gram, slightly smaller steel pinball would actually be used for?
(edit: I've discovered several uses, including in much older machines and using them for tilt mechanisms in older pins)

PXL_20230430_000736875 (resized).jpgPXL_20230430_000736875 (resized).jpgPXL_20230430_000745217 (resized).jpgPXL_20230430_000745217 (resized).jpg

#2667 11 months ago
Quoted from Shaker:

Any idea where they came from, and how they ended up in the P3?

The previous owner was involved with a lot of older machines at one point and I think these might have been mixed in. Having said that, I haven't heard back from him so I'm not sure. It's the last think I'd ever consider even existing in my house, let alone causing severe problems. But if you have a 1/16" difference x5 balls in a trough with a bunch of optos, things go wrong quickly! And erratically. I'm super relieved to find the culprit.

#2673 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Does anyone know if it voids your warranty if you install the PinMonk silent power supply fan?
Thanks

On one hand, I'm super nervous about any electrical mods and don't like the idea of adding most of them. But despite all the talk of "mods void warranties" I'm pretty sure the manufacturer (in any industry) has to prove the mod caused an issue for them not to cover it. I'm not a lawyer and have no direct experience with this, so if someone HAS had direct experience I'm happy to hear about it.

1 week later
#2684 11 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... after being on the P3 bandwagon then falling off when I had some issues with the game I am now firmly back on the P3 Multimorphic fan club bandwagon.

I feel like this is my issue. It's working great! Now there's an issue. It's working great! Now there's an issue.
I'm hoping there will be a point where it's really, truly 100% all set. I understand there's always going to be occasional issues, but if they're every week that's...not optimum. Last night the upper quarter of my playfield wasn't detecting balls. I reseated some connectors that I guessed might have been causing the problem and now that's great. But then a standup on Lexy stopped working. So that's today's project.

I'm super glad to hear Al was 100% the entire show - that's pretty incredible!

#2708 11 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’m watching how our guests react to the different games.
Newbies are perplexed by Sorcerer’s Apprentice and rarely finish the game, but they absolutely love Ranger In The Ruins. One little girl played it nonstop for 30 minutes.

I'M perplexed by SA

It's the farthest thing from my kind of theme, and I've even read the rules, so I'll have to give it another highly focused go.

#2718 11 months ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hey Guys , I am picking up a MM Weird Al on Thursday. It looks like the width of the cabinet and back box is 34 3/4 and the opening to my wife’s Nissan Armanda is 34 1/2. Is there a way to undo the back box ? Sterns are pretty easy with just taking off the hindges.

Quoted from BorgDog:

I sure hope it's not that wide... oh, looks like you are talking height when folded
[quoted image]

murfe88, if you are indeed speaking of folded height YES it's taller than a Stern. Enough that Sterns fit in my Mazda van...but this did not. I discovered that the hard way. I don't know how to remove the head, and the seller had recommended I not do that. Maybe it's super easy, but like anything else with the P3 you know it won't be normal

#2729 11 months ago
Quoted from Frito539:

I recommend trying to find locally as finding someone to ship it can be very expensive.

If you do this, make 100% sure the glass is appropriate for a pin. The last time I tried ordering locally from a glass company, despite giving them exact dimensions and telling them what it was for, they tried selling me a thinner sheet that wasn't tempered and would have shattered into a million pieces on first impact. Speaking of...

I swear every time I touch the P3 something breaks. Today the glass exploded while removing it.

A) That sucks, sorry about that.
B) Make 101% sure every single piece of glass gets removed. I've seen pins owned by casual owners that had absolutely sanded playfields because they also broke their playfield glass, and just did a quick vacuum. The trace remains worked like sandpaper for...ten years. This was a NICE HUO pin...with a needlessly destroyed playfield.

I really like Weird Al but it is really hard to like this machine when every time you touch it something breaks.

Ok, honest answer time: How often is everyone adjusting/fixing the P3s? When I bought mine (used) I knew it needed some tweaking, but it's admittedly been more adjusting than I thought. Is this what's to be expected for P3 ownership? Or do many of you have units that will go hundreds of games between issues (like most modern pins I've owned)?

#2742 11 months ago

Me, after playing every add-on game:
"This stupid game is stupid...ok one more game."

It's almost like the games are so simple they shouldn't be good, and I shouldn't like them. But they are good, and I do like them. I like these "stupid, simple games" more on the 50th play than on the 5th. So, yeah. I understand why many pinball enthusiasts take -one- look at a P3 game and passes. It takes more than "one look", despite it looking deceptively simple. And I feel snobby even typing this, but it's important I'm honest with myself!

#2744 11 months ago

What's your current favorite add-on game to play?

Probably RITR (thanks!). The rest I like similarly, but RITR stands out a bit more. But I've also played it the most, and I have to play the others more to give them a fair chance. The only one I didn't like at all was Flipper Foxtrot.

1 month later
#2797 10 months ago
Quoted from Jousley:

I just got a used P3 yesterday with Weird Al. So I’m new to the club! After the seller dropped it off and left, I realized that the upper right flipper is weak and won’t hold up. It will flip but not hold. Any suggestions?

If you're new to the club, check out the Multimorphic support site. It's phenomenal, and addresses this exact issue and many many more.

#2807 10 months ago
Quoted from Jousley:

Didn’t think I could wrestle this thing into my place on one leg
[quoted image]

You're going to struggle doing it with two legs It can't be overstated how heavy it is.

4 weeks later
#2831 9 months ago
Quoted from Jay_Killjoy:

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything here or on Multimorphic's support site. My friends and I have decades of pinball experience and couldn't figure this out last night before we ran out of time. I just received my P3 with Weird Al and as far as I can tell the module is "stuck". I removed the plugs and popped the clips (we tried different directions as well) and when we pull on the handle to remove the module it doesn't move AT ALL. There is no indication that it will come free and I am scared to apply more pressure in case I break anything.
Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

If you're new to P3, keep in mind the only thing "keeping" the module in is those two small locking tabs between the module and the playfield. Look at it carefully and make sure when you unlock it they're sliding clear. If not, you may need to tap them a bit to get them to release. SantaEatsCheese's solution is similar but different. Also, in general the playfield should slide in and out pretty easily. If it doesn't check with Multimorphic - a slight adjustment may need to be made!

1 week later
#2839 8 months ago
Quoted from Jay_Killjoy:

I was excited until the 2nd game when the upper left flipper kept getting stuck out. Need to work and then take a look at that tonight.

If you haven't fixed this issue yet, try this: Shut off the machine and manually move the flipper all the way up. Does it move 100% smoothly, especially at full rotation? Mine was binding. I had to disassemble it to and file down part of the flipper bat that was rubbing on the metal mounting bracket. Now it's 100%.

#2842 8 months ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I’m considering these options to cover up the scratches, but would appreciate any other thoughts.
0. Ignore it and play

Get it home. Set it up. Play it for a month. Forget those scratches even exist.

If this doesn't work, and it still bothers you, then do what you gotta do. More often than not most issues like this become invisible by ball two for me.

#2861 8 months ago
Quoted from Travis82:

I am having this same issue. Just received the P3 with Weird Al module installed. I am trying to remove the module, but it is "stuck" and won't budge. I've tried lifting, pulling, jerking, etc, but nothing has working yet. I am wondering how far the tabs that connect to the playfield are supposed to be pulled back? Below is a photo of how far mine pull back. Is this enough that the playfield should unlock/disengage?
[quoted image][quoted image]

It is definitely not pulled back enough. That metal loop on the right needs to be pulled far enough back so that it's 100% clear of the metal tab on the module.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2864 8 months ago
Quoted from Travis82:

Is there a trick to getting it to pull back further? I have been pulling, jerking, and even tapping it with a screwdriver and hammer, and haven't been able to get it to move back any further yet. It's hard to get good leverage on it since it's in such a narrow spot.

Try pushing down on the playfield module in that area while you're trying to unlatch it. Assuming other playfields don't have this problem (if you've had a chance to try them yet), it's likely the Weird Al playfield is a little bit "off" and is causing upward pressure. Or, there's something else binding in the latch assembly. I believe SantaEatsCheese and Jay_Killjoy had similar problems recently (see previous comments).

1 week later
#2897 8 months ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

My long anticipated P3 arrived today at 1:00. Despite being terrible with electronics and mechanics (I know, this may not be the right hobby for me), had it set up and running by 4:00. Hardest part was moving it.
Loving the P3 in general and Heist in particular so far!

I thought Weird Al would be the be all, end all game for me on the P3. Nope. It's been Heist.

1 week later
#2920 8 months ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Al fits great. I installed it without balls in place, as is recommended.

Now I understand you may have heard something I haven't, but it -should- be 100% fine to move the balls from the line of VUKs into the trough and then install a module. They'll be out of the way, and will load up once you turn it back on. Taking them out of the machine each time you remove a module sounds...man, it sounds like a lot of work!

#2931 8 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

but it needs to be said to contact the distributor if you didn't buy direct. )

I understand lots of people do this, but I've had 99% percent of my problems fixed (with a half dozen manufacturers) by contacting them directly. I never bother involving an extra party unless it's necessary - which happened once when Stern specifically requested it.

1 month later
#3019 6 months ago

registering continuous ham sandwiches

I have no response to this, just that I think this is a fantastic phrase.

On the Weird Al side, yeah, I gave up after many many back and forths. Like you, dream theme. Like you, many unbelievable issues. I love the idea, and I can appreciate the engineering, but ultimately the end experience has to be positive. Unfortunately this isn't/wasn't the case for us and many others.

2 weeks later
#3089 6 months ago
Quoted from Pmaino:What’s the recommended pitch for games? I have a heist and it’s at 7.1. Needed to up the power on the flippers from 24 to 30 to make ramps.

If I remember correctly mine could backhand ramps at standard power. Super duper easy and smooth. You might want to check to make sure the ball paths are 100% smooth and the module is totally flush to the main playfield.

1 month later
#3252 4 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

Question on moving these are they the same dimensions folded up as a normal pinball machine?

Proceed with caution! Every pin I've ever moved fit in my Mazda5....except my P3. It was too tall.

#3254 4 months ago
Quoted from musketd:

So what did you do remove the head? Or just the carriage bolts so that the head could slide forward to fit?
Any input greatly appreciated

No, rented a freaking UHaul on the spot. In the rain. Like a bad pinball sitcom. I'd barely touched a P3 before that day and didn't want to hope for a smooth first time head removal.

#3266 4 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I find the music and callouts dull.

And I think the music and callouts make it one of the most immersive games out there. It just goes to show how differently we can all feel about the exact same thing!

2 weeks later
#3298 3 months ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Yeah, I'm not saying clear coat the sticker. At 140ish plays, I'm seeing wear on FR that could have been reduced/slowed if the module playfield was direct printed and cleared. And I'd be happy to pay extra for it.

Do you (or anyone) have pics of wear of any playfield surfaces? Gerry had said a while back the reason the playfield surfaces were "only stickers" was that the upper playfield area doesn't see much wear therefore it would hold up. That sounded reasonable to me and -I- haven't seen any wear on a playfield yet.

#3301 3 months ago

It's interesting to see the "dirt", which would be unlikely on a clearcoated pf. I guess as the playfields get more advanced (like Weird Al) they'll get possibly more ball action and will need some tweaks going forward like Mylar in areas like that. It's interesting to see it all evolve.

1 week later
#3355 3 months ago
Quoted from hank527:

I’m thinking of buying Cosmic Cart and looking for some honest reviews as the sole one on pinside isn’t good.
What are people’s thoughts on Cosmic Cart?

It was a fun game with an excellent Wow Factor with the ball locks, sound, and lightshow. But the gameplay got old fast for me. As others have said, the other games available for the playfield make it worth it, otherwise I'd pass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 11,700.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Round Rock, TX
$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
11,999 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-club?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.