10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fanatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago

I'm happy to bounce back an answer.
    Professional electrician for 22 years. Fluke instruments are the best in the business. I carry a T5-600 on my belt every day (this tool will be useless for your purposes).

The meter you've chosen should get you by in most day-to-day repairs - regarding pinball machines.
    You are able to check small amp loads (ac/dc) for circuit analysis, there is a diode check feature - looks like it also checks capacitance (nice function if it's accurate).
    Hard to go wrong with a Fluke instrument.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.

I also recommend the electronic lead test kit (TL223 or aftermarket knock-off). It contains spring-loaded alligator clips so you don't have to hold the lead in place while checking something else 6' away. Very handy if you use this meter often. It allows you to clip onto the ground braid and check things at whim (one handed).

#6 10 years ago

I would not bother with the upgrade to a Fluke 175.
    The main difference between the two meters is that the Fluke 117 has a 600v rating - way more than you'll ever use on a pinball.
    The Fluke 175 has a 1000v rating - not worth the extra $$$.

I mentioned carrying a T5-600. This is a 600v meter. For some extra $$$, I could have owned the T5-1000. This is a 1000v rated meter (but I'll never see anything larger than 600v). The extra higher rating is not worth the money because we're likely to never need that feature in our work.

Final analysis, if I didn't already have a couple of DMM's, I would buy the Fluke 117. Good find.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fanatic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimeter-question-fluke-117?tu=Fanatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.