Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by cjzachmann
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5783 (resized).jpeg
    5784 (resized).jpeg
    big-bass-wheel-spin-ticket-redemption-game-baytek-games1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-13-15-20-11 (resized).png
    6F4DE133-4FD9-4F75-A81A-F5D357B07D66 (resized).png
    8A753518-D6FA-4D65-B65F-455EAB3DAD94 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9815 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi guys,
    Just a quick question. I'm trying to add something new to the theater. I have 4 pinball machines located at the cinema and I was thinking of adding one of these Multicade arcade games. This way the adults can spend a dollar on pinball and the kids can pay a quarter for arcade games. I heard that they might not be legal in an establishment, is this true? Also, I know I love these games, but are kids now drawn to them? Additionally, are these games durable for commercial use? I just thought I'd ask before spending 1500.

#2 4 years ago

This is what I was thinking about getting.

sacramento.craigslist.org link

#3 4 years ago

Depending on the multicade it might be illegal.
    it might use MAME, one of those 60 in 1 boards, or be specific for home use (free play only). There are a few that are fine for commercial use, but they are usually limited on the number of games.
    That being said, 99% people aren't going to care or even think about it.
    There are a bunch of bars with playstations sitting out for patrons to play (technically that is illegal, but no one is going to enforce it)

I think pandoras box is set-up to accept coin, though I've never tried it.
    I went the ultracade route since it was technically legal for commercial use and it had the most old-school games on it. Found a bootleg hard drive on ebay for $100 bucks, think it had 280ish old school games on it. The computer is type specific, you can still find them on ebay and KLOV.

For me having a bunch of old-school arcade games doesn't make a lot of sense, based on earning potential and the room they take up. I understand the appeal of the original cabinet and board (no missing frames, original controls, artwork) but...

#4 4 years ago

here is the cocktail version.

For me I just bought a custom cabinet, wired it up and installed an ultracade computer in it.

IMG_9815 (resized).jpgIMG_9815 (resized).jpg
    #5 4 years ago

Thanks for your response Hocus. I love the old arcade games and I'm thinking they're making a come back. I was originally thinking of buying an original old school game, but then I was concerned about having issues with an older game. I was hoping they made them new, but it seems they only make the multi-arcade games that are new. I noticed your game came with Defender, which I like. I haven't been able to find one that comes with Defender, maybe because I've been looking at the 60 in 1.

#6 4 years ago

As far as old-school games, I have a few. Think the hardest thing with those is the monitor, just recap em and replace the flyback and they are usually fine for commercial use. The joysticks and buttons break every now and again but other then that, it's a lot easier then maintaining a pin.

Pretty sure Namco made a commercial arcade with defender on it recently.... I'd have to look around though.
    you could buy a replica from that guy on ebay or the game room goodies store. But your essentially buying a look alike cabinet with a multicade computer for over 3k. Even old school arcades are getting expensive.

Kids seem to play the older games but I would assume they would be more interested in the stuff from the 90's, like street fighter 4, tekken 5 etc.
    I'd get a crane game or key master if I had stuff at a movie theatre, heard those do phenomenal in family friendly places.

#7 4 years ago

Look in a raspberry pi 3b+

Arcadepunks.com

Retro pie

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I was originally thinking of buying an original old school game, but then I was concerned about having issues with an older game.

Not sure about the legal aspects but you could buy the 1-up versions of the old games that take up much less space and they are new.

#9 4 years ago

If you are trying to earn from kids maybe something like air hockey instead?

#10 4 years ago

I would stick with the 60 in 1. You dont want people spending 30 minutes looking for a game on a eleventy billion and 1 game set up. Technically all the multicades are illegal. Doesn't matter if it's at home or on location. They are emulating Roms that, if you dont own the original board, are illegal to have. Nobody says anything because most of properties on those boards are just lost. Aside from galaga and pacman.
    When these boards first came out they were everywhere. I believe someone representing namco showed up and told the auction in Tennessee or North Carolina (same people) they couldn't sell them thru the auction any more. They let everyone pull their games and put them back on their trucks. After a couple years they started selling them again and no one cares now.
    I think you are okay running one. I also been told more adults play the multicade then kids. If you dont have some already I would get a crane, stacker, or other self redemption game.

#11 4 years ago

Ive got a nice multicade with large crt on route at a local kids bounce house. It doesn’t really make much money. It’s a 60-1 that’s technically illegal to use on location. I also have a nice Nintendo playchoice that’s legal to use, you could always get one of those if you like Nintendo games.

Honestly if you’re trying to earn money from kids, I’d get a driving game like cruisin or shooting game like big buck hunter. They seem to get a lot more play.

8A753518-D6FA-4D65-B65F-455EAB3DAD94 (resized).jpeg8A753518-D6FA-4D65-B65F-455EAB3DAD94 (resized).jpeg

#12 4 years ago

Just buy a legal game if you are concerned. They are very nice and play correct.
    https://pinballpro.net/shop/pac-man-pixel-bash-coin-operated-arcade-game-namco/

6F4DE133-4FD9-4F75-A81A-F5D357B07D66 (resized).png6F4DE133-4FD9-4F75-A81A-F5D357B07D66 (resized).png
    #13 4 years ago

For what's it's worth I have a 60 in 1 table style and it never gets played. My wife had to have one since I had the pinballs. All it gets used for is extra space for people to eat. I'm going to sell that thing when she's not looking.....

#14 4 years ago

Mine has somewhere around 20k games on it. I play it occasionally. It didn't grab me the way I thought it would. Pins are just more fun to me right now.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Mine has somewhere around 20k games on it. I play it occasionally. It didn't grab me the way I thought it would. Pins are just more fun to me right now.

Yeah, same for me. I have an emulator with 28K games on it and even I don't play it much. I guess it just doesn't seem to be the same as I remember it back in the day.

#16 4 years ago

I have a 412 in 1 multicade I've had 9 months now. It gets played a good bit. Now all the games aren't perfect and some are unplayable(depends on controls), but I still like it. Plenty of good games on there. We play the bowling a lot as well as Donkey Kong, Galaga, Phoenix/Pleiades, Frogger, Gorf, Burgertime, Carnival, Satan's Hollow, Carnival,etc.Tron and Qbert are unplayable. These can be built for less than what people sell them for. Check one out before you buy one.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Quoted from RWH:

Yeah, same for me. I have an emulator with 28K games on it and even I don't play it much. I guess it just doesn't seem to be the same as I remember it back in the day.

I think if you spent the time to pair it down to say...100 games, you might find yourself playing it more. +20k games is just too much and you find you're spending more time wading through the UI than playing games. It's like browsing through Netflix for an hour trying to find something to watch vs actually watching anything.

For me personally, I would compile a library of my favorite fighting, beat-em-ups, and schmups, maybe a few classics sprinkled in there, and call it a day. 30-40 games at most.

#18 4 years ago

It is very easy to scroll through the systems and find the game you want. I'm actually kinda bummed that the Atari 2600 games on mine don't seem to work properly.

#19 4 years ago

I can move around in mine fairly easy enough. I've not ran into games that will not play correctly but as I say, I don't play it often.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

It is very easy to scroll through the systems and find the game you want. I'm actually kinda bummed that the Atari 2600 games on mine don't seem to work properly.

You can buy an atari flashback for cheap. It has the games built in and is officially licensed. It has 110 games.

Screenshot_2019-05-13-15-20-11 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-05-13-15-20-11 (resized).png
    #21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

You can buy an atari flashback for cheap. It has the games built in and is officially licensed. It has 110 games.

Better get it now then, Walmart gets those from China so they'll go up like pin prices.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Better get it now then, Walmart gets those from China so they'll go up like pin prices.

They are even cheaper on eBay

#23 4 years ago

More than likely all these people with setups like this in their basements are OK (MAME, Jamma, or whatever). But, that thing is filled with licensed games, no way would I put that out in the wild set up to take money. Sure those games are old, but the IP owners are still out there and active. And Nintendo? They are seriously mean about stuff like this. I would not want to ever cross paths with them. And their lawyers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/santa-clara-group-charged-with-selling-pirated-‘pac-man’-other#post-3985234

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Just buy a legal game if you are concerned. They are very nice and play correct.
    https://pinballpro.net/shop/pac-man-pixel-bash-coin-operated-arcade-game-namco/
    [quoted image]

that's the one I was thinking of, wasn't 100% they made a commercial version of it. I might wind up getting one of those... it's a 4 way joystick?

#25 4 years ago

I'd get one of these:

big-bass-wheel-spin-ticket-redemption-game-baytek-games1 (resized).jpgbig-bass-wheel-spin-ticket-redemption-game-baytek-games1 (resized).jpg

My son and his friends love to pump money into it. Of course, you need to have junk to redeem the tickets. I don't understand the allure (pardon the pun), but hey, I'm old right? And he doesn't get my attraction to pins and old games, so we're even I guess.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

that's the one I was thinking of, wasn't 100% they made a commercial version of it. I might wind up getting one of those... it's a 4 way joystick?

4 way or 8 way adjustable

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

4 way or 8 way adjustable

by the player or op?
    via the restrictor plate?

#28 4 years ago

We'll, I bought the Multi-cade. I found out they took a lot of short cuts building it. The CPU board had 2 out of 4 screws holding it down and they were loose. The track balls don't work. Coin mech don't work. It also has very cheap joysticks and buttons. These are all fixable, but it doesn't seem like the company took to much pride in their machines.

5784 (resized).jpeg5784 (resized).jpeg
    #29 4 years ago
    5783 (resized).jpeg5783 (resized).jpeg
    #30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

The track balls don't work. Coin mech don't work.

They didn’t even test to make sure all was working before shipping? WOW!!!
    Those are major components to the game

#31 4 years ago

The track balls were unplugged when it was delivered. When I plug in the track ball to CPU Com 3 & 4 I think, the machine won't power on. They think theres a problem with the board and are sending me a new CPU.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

The track balls were unplugged when it was delivered. When I plug in the track ball to CPU Com 3 & 4 I think, the machine won't power on. They think theres a problem with the board and are sending me a new CPU.

So they must have noticed this at the factory, cos they shipped it unplugged. Says a lot about that company .

4 years later
    #33 10 months ago

Has the commercial Use issue been figured out? Are there machines that are ok?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multicade-what-do-you-think?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.