Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Roamin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Strange thing happening with the Whitewater I just got in...

Shooting a ball in 'no way out' reports ball 1 locked, but it wasn't locked it came back in the game, next ball 2 locked, same story, back in the game. Ball 3 'locked' started multiball but no balls were locked so it was a multiball with one ball only !! The coil shoots randomly...

Removed plugs from opto control board and cleaned the board.

Now ball 1 & 2 gets locked and once multiball starts it takes a minute before balls are released... In the mean time the pinball is running some test (like something is stuck somewhere) and finally releases all balls, multiball !!

A couple of games further on scenario changed again..

Now it locks ball one but doesn't want to lock ball 2, it also doesn't say ball 2 was 'falsely' locked like in the first paragraph. It just releases the ball saying it should is locked as ball 2. Meaning i can not have a 3 ball multiball...

Change optos ? change optoboard ? suggestions ?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Strange thing happening with the Whitewater I just got in...
Shooting a ball in 'no way out' reports ball 1 locked, but it wasn't locked it came back in the game, next ball 2 locked, same story, back in the game. Ball 3 'locked' started multiball but no balls were locked so it was a multiball with one ball only !! The coil shoots randomly...
Removed plugs from opto control board and cleaned the board.
Now ball 1 & 2 gets locked and once multiball starts it takes a minute before balls are released... In the mean time the pinball is running some test (like something is stuck somewhere) and finally releases all balls, multiball !!
A couple of games further on scenario changed again..
Now it locks ball one but doesn't want to lock ball 2, it also doesn't say ball 2 was 'falsely' locked like in the first paragraph. It just releases the ball saying it should is locked as ball 2. Meaning i can not have a 3 ball multiball...
Change optos ? change optoboard ? suggestions ?

Changed optoboard (emitting in position 64).
Problem solved

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Problem solved

Glad you got it sorted out and also shared the solution for future reference.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Problem solved

Very interesting problem you discovered and solved. I would be interested to find out which chip failed on the original optoboard if you end up having it repaired.

#5 3 years ago

Testing the optos and the opto board is fairly simple and can be achieved with a multimeter. In this particular case , if changing the opto board fixed the problem, then the actually optos were fine. There isn't a lot on this board. Diodes and resistors are super simple to test, and the only integrated circuit found on the boards are LM339 which are the most common OP amps, available at any electronic parts stores. These are also very simple to test in the way they are used. Unless there is visible damage on the board, the very first thing I would look for is a cold solder joint at any of the connectors first, then the rest of the solder joints. If all looks clean, I'd start blaming the LM339 and test it. The issues here seemed intermittent since the scenario changed during game play. This leads more towards a loose connection, if not, it's the ICs. Diodes or resistors don't cause intermittent issues, they work or don't.. unless their connection is loose.

If you wish to repair your board and need help, I can assist you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiball-issue-whitewater?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.