6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chris_james0
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Multiball”

• Why not! Always hold balls in multiball, 29 votes
      56%
    • I'm with you, Feels like cheating 5 votes
      10%
    • who care's lets play pinball 18 votes
      35%

(52 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

I have been watching a few videos on how to play pinball and tournament vids etc, and
    I was wondering why it should be allowed to hold balls on one flipper while shooting the other?

Always thought that Multiball play should be that - Playing with all 3 balls at once!
    I feel the other is cheating
    Do they allow this at PAPA?

what are your thoughts:

#2 6 years ago

I play more live then stall. It is not as easy as they make it look to get the balls under control during multiball. It takes practice like anything else. There are downsides to playing this style but its upside is controlled shots. Not cheating just different technique.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

I have been watching a few videos on how to play pinball and tournament vids etc, and
    I was wondering why it should be allowed to hold balls on one flipper while shooting the other?
    Always thought that Multiball play should be that - Playing with all 3 balls at once!
    what are your thoughts:

When you're cradling a ball on one flipper you are partially taking that flipper out of play. It's not easy playing with just the other flipper. Also while one flipper is cradling you have a much larger center drain.

#4 6 years ago

I play multiballs.. but I play for the fun of it and not in competitions.
    When you're serious about pinball and want to get the most points then you need to control all pinballs and try to hold them on the flippers.
    There's just a huge difference in playing for amusement and playing for points, as for the last there are some dangerous shots which you will also try to avoid because the risk/reward is too high.

#5 6 years ago

I've been trying to gain control of balls during multiball lately. I find that since I'm horrible at it, I am much better at playing them all live than I am at cradling two and trying to shoot just one.

#6 6 years ago

It never occurred to me that cradling a ball could ever be considered "cheating". Weird.

#7 6 years ago

I like the chaos factor of multiball play, so I play them live.

Sometimes I'll trap two and play one, or vice versa, but I'm not great at it.

I play for fun, and I like to see the ball roll around so the more the merrier I say!

#8 6 years ago

It's a skill, not cheating at all...you are obviously new to pinball...

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

Because you can.

#10 6 years ago

Personally, I think today's machines are setup for controlled shots, especially during multiball and the only way to rack up huge points. Machines before the 90's were more fun to just whack the balls around, you'd be lucky if there was a single jackpot to hit in mulitball mode.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

In the old days, it was considered by some to be cheating or rude.

Quoted from Squizz:

Yes, to a degree:

"Any player who delays the progress of his or her game for more than 30 seconds, for any reason other than to await a ruling or resolution of a temporary inconvenience, will be given a warning."

"If the player is choosing to let a game mode time out, the total delay must be less than 30 seconds. Delay is defined as time during which the ball is left in the plunger lane, or held on a flipper by the player. Stuck balls do not count as intentional delays. If delays are repeated or willful, tournament officials may terminate the game in progress and record a score of zero for that player."

http://papa.org/papa16/rules.php

If you want to be a better player, you have to cradle. Watch any of the best players and they all cradle to some degree. When you take the step from casual player to competitive player, cradling balls is one of the first things you learn. It sucks at first, but it leads to many other important (and high scoring) skills. On your AC/DC, with clean rubbers, you should be able to cradle a single ball on either flipper (not during multiball), then transfer it to the other flipper with a post pass. Give it a try.

#12 6 years ago

It's part of the strategy of pinball and it carries its own risk. You are sacrificing points with all balls in play to select specific shots one at a time. You are stuck playing with 1 flipper. Alternatively, getting a ball STUCK in the playfield during multiball (on a switch, out of play etc), is usually considered bad play and in tourneys you are expected to alert someone to come fix it. In that case, you HAVE to get to a point where you can cradle YOUR BALLS.

-Wes

#13 6 years ago

Anyone good enough to cradle most of the balls (and play with just one) during multiball on Apollo 13?

#14 6 years ago

It's called control. Ball control is maybe the single biggest difference between poor players and good players.

Quoted from littlecammi:

Anyone good enough to cradle most of the balls and flip just one during multiball on Apollo 13?

Ha...flipper can;t withstand the pounding of all those balls coming out at once.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's called control. Ball control is the biggest difference between poor players and good players.

Same thing with foosball. You have to control the ball before you can shoot it.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Same thing with foosball. You have to control the ball before you can shoot it.

Jeuss christ that game is not for me. I have played super super high level foosball & air hockey people and it's just another world; amazing crap they can do.
    I use to play a guy at air Hockey that would spot you 3-5 goals...and then just obliterate you.

#17 6 years ago

I tend to play the balls and go with the flow. Holding them is more of a strategy move to get a certain jacktop or stack modes. T2 you kind of have to hold the ball to make the super jackpot shot though, so I am torn. WHO CARES! LETS PLAY PINBALL!

#18 6 years ago

I feel like multiball needs to be frantic, so I don't cradle, I just flip and bat like a mad man

#19 6 years ago

I also feel like aiming is cheating, so I tend to shy away from that.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I've been trying to gain control of balls during multiball lately. I find that since I'm horrible at it, I am much better at playing them all live than I am at cradling two and trying to shoot just one.

Andrei Massenkoff won PAPA 11 (and took 2nd the year before) and he doesn't generally cradle during multiball. If he does, it's for very short periods, like to stagger a shot a little so he's effectively only dealing with one ball at a time. He's considered a "flow" player or an "on the fly" player (as opposed to a "control" player). So it is possible to play that style and do well.

The cradle techniques take a lot of practice and time to become proficient. It's definitely a "one step back to take two steps forward" kind of thing.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

cradle YOUR BALLS.
    -Wes

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Jeuss christ that game is not for me. I have played super super high level foosball & air hockey people and it's just another world; amazing crap they can do.
    I use to play a guy at air Hockey that would spot you 3-5 goals...and then just obliterate you.

The important question is paddles always on the surface or can you lift them and trap under them. I hate when people do that.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

The important question is paddles always on the surface or can you lift them and trap under them. I hate when people do that.

Ah yeah i call that a no-no unless you're setting up you're serve. Then again when people do it in the middle of a point it usually just takes momentum away.

#24 6 years ago

Takes a lot of skill to make cradling work for you during multiball. More power to you if your good enough to maintain it.

I can do it for brief stints but usually end up with them all beck in play again. I'm working on doing it mostly when I'm down to two balls. What's fun is nailing the ball in play with your cradled ball in order to prevent it form going SDTM.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I also feel like aiming is cheating, so I tend to shy away from that.

LOL!

Wait.......you were joking right?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Takes a lot of skill to make cradling work for you during multiball. More power to you if your good enough to maintain it.
    I can do it for brief stints but usually end up with them all beck in play again. I'm working on doing it mostly when I'm down to two balls. What's fun is nailing the ball in play with your cradled ball in order to prevent it form going SDTM.

This is definitely tough to do. You have to see the ball heading for the middle early enough to release your cradled ball to roll far enough down the flipper to make it happen. And then if you have two balls cradled, do you risk putting them out of control to save the one that's heading down the drain? But then again, if you do have two balls cradled, your chances of achieving the deflection are higher. It's an extremely strategic situation.

#27 6 years ago

I can't believe there is already 4 votes for cheating, too funny. They must play pinball a touch different in Melbourne

#28 6 years ago

Not easy at all and takes practice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 254.99
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 12.99
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 157.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside