Prepping Multi-Races for York! That means a bit more polish and a lot of playtesting.
I reached out to a fellow collector Hula to see if they had any additional one ball buttons to replace the Magic Screen buttons I was using for extra balls and play all. They did and were very kind to send two buttons from Sunshine Park to me. These are blank buttons without wording on top, unlike some of the earlier buttons (Turf King era) that included wording or symbols as well as an escutchion plate that indicated the button's function. Thank you Hula! I likely would be looking for these for quite some time otherwise.
My initial plan was to use an engraver and carve the function onto the buttons themselves. Obviously I'd only have one shot at this. I spent a bit of time practicing on some scrap metal, and spent a lot of time with washable fine-tipped markers drawing letters in the appropriate style on the buttons. I did attempt to write a letter on one button (lightly), but was unhappy with the appearance (it did not create a smooth cut). Since I didn't want to be unhappy with these unobtainable buttons, I left well enough alone. I may paint the function on them instead with red enamel.
After that, the cabinet needed some modification. I had to chop up my switch stacks under the new buttons to meet the (much shorter) stems of the buttons, add washers and clips to hold them in place, and fix a slightly crooked hole drilled for the furthest left button. I did all that, removed my metal spacing bracket from both switch stacks, spent some quality time with a file, and everything moved smoothly.
Next, The furthest left button wouldn't travel when the lockbar was in place. Well, that's because the washer I was using stuck out too far (due to initial drill error). Not a huge deal, I had to file out about 1/8" of the front cabinet in about a 1/4" area, then the travel worked properly with the lockbar up or down.
Next the front of the game needed attention. The cabinet was a Victory Derby cab. This was one of two games Bally produced with a manual shuffle reset. Pretty neat piece of engineering, hydraulic rod with a lockout coil to prevent actual reset without a coin.
I had removed this in order to install the Turf King playfield, with it's shutter motor. This left a gaping hole in the front of the cabinet about 1.5".
I used a 1/2"x2" carriage bolt with a couple of fender washers and a locknut to close that off. It's low enough that the lockbar switch solder tabs do not touch. The last little bits I'd like to resolve mainly deal with the playfield itself. Or rather the shooter rod. The playfield is not screwed to the support rails as I've been working on the game. It's time to do this and prevent the slight bouncing the playfield has when plunging. This kills momentum on the ball A LOT. In some instances, the tiny hop prevents the ball from leaving the shooter lane.
Another thing I'd like to attempt is to adjust my mech for token dispensing. My tokens are not true nickel sized. They are also super light (plastic instead of metal). As such, the mech likes to dispense a bit more than it should in some instances. Additional weight seems to help this problem. I'd like to retain the ability to dispense nickels rather than replace the payout mech with something custom. Plus it's original to a one ball... it needs to remain in place. So I think I can 3D print a small cylinder that will hold a weight and maintain downward pressure like a stack of nickels would. That will hopefully help. Or it will jam up the mech immediately. One or the other.
I recently added a new game to the stable as well - unfortunately, I don't recall which game it was... but I remember it being an early one. I have some more software work to do (generate score/instruction cards for each game, set my menu to start with Preakness, little things like that). The list of available games gets longer!
York is in October and I plan on having my suite of custom and commercial games available for play.