This weekend, I didn't get quite as far as planned.
I did however work on the game quite a bit.
I'm working on the 120V and 50VAC circuits right now, and because of this I am spending a lot of time thinking about how I want the game to be constructed.
I've got the following coils to wire in, after lots of thinking:
1) Coin Meter. I am using the original meter as it has only about 500-odd plays. 50V(DC).
2) Shutter Motor (120VAC driven by 50VDC relay).
3) Replay register Up 50VDC
4) Replay register Down 50VDC
5) 400 unit step 50VDC
6) Control Unit (50VAC driven by 50VDC relay)
7) Payout motor (120VAC driven by 50VDC relay)
8) Payout coil (if needed) 50VDC
The reason this required a lot of thought was because I needed to make the game modular enough to disassemble and haul around. I also wanted to use exactly the amount of drivers I have on this board, if possible. As I will need a second driver board to handle the last lamp (unless I just make it GI), I'll have plenty of room should I change my mind.
I have installed the main power cord, which runs to a power strip inside, which will be used to turn on the game. The original was always on, so this is an improvement. I decided against installing a big power switch, as you'll have to go inside the front door anyway to check connections and such after moving the game. We will see if that is a mistake.
I wired the last of the switches, including the knock off switch. I still have a bank of 8 switches available, which is good, because I have those proximity sensors to wire. I'm waiting until I have the game functional to handle that.
I also disassembled the backbox so that I could remove/wire in these parts. As with the Multi-Bingo, my dream of allowing backwards compatibility has been smashed. Now the game will only allow Multi-Races play. Not the end of the world, but I really dislike killing a game, even if to make another.
The backbox components are stored on three shelves, originally. The first contained the 'replay' stuff. The projection credit unit, the 400 unit, and the coin meter.
The second shelf contained several relays, the transformer panel, and a couple of steppers.
The last shelf contained the control unit and more relays.
Now, in my memory, the control unit was on the middle shelf, so I was glad to see it on the lowest one. Saved me a bundle of time.
The transformer had to be moved to the lower panel because the doggone control unit is 50V - unlike basically any other Bally game with a control unit, ever. The Turf King I have has a 120V control unit, as do every Bally bingo... *Sigh*. Otherwise, I wouldn't need the original transformer. Oh, well.
I installed a couple of fuse blocks to handle the primary and secondary windings of the transformer, and have picked out spots for the other hardware (mostly along the sides of the head).
I installed the monitor, along with a few metal and wooden supporting brackets. At the moment, I don't have any glass or Plexi in front of the monitor, which makes me pretty nervous. It is well protected from falling backwards, however.
I ran the HDMI and power into the lower cab from the monitor, and added strain relief (a knot) and cable latch around the power cable. This is screwed to the interior of the cabinet, just inside the opening for the head. Will allow me to tuck the cable inside the game for movement.
120V needs to be distributed (along with ground) to my two switching power supplies and the transformer. For this purpose, I got a few three prong extension cords. I'll be cutting them up as needed to prevent excess wire from floating around. I'll need to run a plug into the head to shift that 50VAC and DC to the appropriate spots. I believe 10 positions will do it.
I've done some desoldering of the old plugs for this purpose (most of my plugs are very large). The old solder is very difficult to remove, however. Thankfully I have my trusty soldering gun and a fresh supply of leaded solder, which I use to help heat up that older stuff. I have flux as well, but the new solder tends to do a faster job of it.
Otherwise, nothing much has happened. I had hoped to be able to turn it all on this weekend and watch it explode, but I spent way too much time thinking about how I wanted it done, along with other tasks in my gameroom. (New toolbox! Playing pinball with my kids! Hanging up Multi-Bingo playfields on the wall for safe storage and easy swapping!)
Tomorrow I will hopefully dig up my parts replay register as the one I planned to install is missing both coils and stops. I believe I needed one or more of the reels from the parts one, but I guess I'll find out (been a few years).
If not, I'll continue wiring the 120VAC circuits. That is a job I do not relish. One must be very careful, but if done right, it only needs be done once.
A last thought: the original backglass was only held in by two metal clips. Very thin. The panels with mechanics swung out, but the top two had to be removed to gain access to the backglass. It was in VERY poor shape. The majority of the artwork was gone, along with about 95% of the original coloration. I've thought about scraping the remaining bit of art and reusing the glass in front of the TV. Another project.