Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hang glider multiplayer (resized).jpg
IMG_9155 (resized).jpg
IMG_9154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8949 (resized).jpg
IMG_8951 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Ok, I'll probably get scolded here as I actually have similar issues on two separate machines (and yes, different manufactures) so I may need to split these up to get the correct answers, but the issues are so similar, hoping possibly same fix?

Machines -
1976 Bally Hang Glider
1976 Williams Space Mission

For some reason, both play great in single player mode. But when I hit the credit button again for multi-player, they both add players - buttt:

Hang Glider - Plays Ball # 1 for each player, but then sticks on Ball # 1 for player # 4 - never advancing after that.

Space Mission - Once I hit the credit button for more players, it stays on Ball # 1, Player # 1..never advancing after that.

Are these similar issues, or different fixes?

Is it the ball count unit, or the player unit? Thinking just a cleaning on the contacts?

Any & all help is appreciated, thanks !

IMG_8949 (resized).jpgIMG_8949 (resized).jpgIMG_8951 (resized).jpgIMG_8951 (resized).jpgIMG_9154 (resized).jpgIMG_9154 (resized).jpgIMG_9155 (resized).jpgIMG_9155 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

there's a possibility it could be the "coin unit"is gummed-up or dirty contact (how many players are coined-up)

I looked through the sequence of operation section in the manual for the Hang Glider https://www.ipdb.org/files/1112/Bally_1976_Hang_Glider.pdf

does everything move freely on the coin units http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#3 4 years ago

On both machines -they’re pretty gummed up or something as they don’t move freely -as in coin eject

I do notice - again I think on both - even though they’re both set up to free play, when I deposit a coin , it automatically starts a game (like I hit the start button)

#4 4 years ago

Sorry. I thought you meant the coin mechanisms in the door. Lol. My bad. Though that was causing some issues ugh

Now that ive looked at the links. I see what you’re talking about. I’ll check on that and report back on this one. Thanks !

#5 4 years ago

Cleaning the coin unit and the player unit seemed to have fixed the Williams Space Mission. A big thank you!

Still have some long delays when the ball goes into a bonus hole (any of the 4). Just gives more points than it should more times than not.

Did the same to the Bally Hang Glider - but still same results as before. “Coin” up (hit start twice) for 2 players and it goes thru all 4 players and stays on ball 1 on the 4th player.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Cleaning the coin unit and the player unit seemed to have fixed the Williams Space Mission. A big thank you!
Still have some long delays when the ball goes into a bonus hole (any of the 4). Just gives more points than it should more times than not.
Did the same to the Bally Hang Glider - but still same results as before. “Coin” up (hit start twice) for 2 players and it goes thru all 4 players and stays on ball 1 on the 4th player.

hmmm again for #hang-glider, looking at the manual & schematics I'm thinking a mis-adjusted or dirty contact on the #3b score motor switch ... unless

a 1 player game advances through the ball count correctly ? .... if the coin unit is in the head & the player-up unit is in the cab, it could be a dirty or broken connection in a Jones plug if the rivets & fingers are clean on the steppers.

#7 4 years ago

Ok - cleaned both again this morning. (The fingers and the brass/copper plate side). Amazing amount of crud built up.
Also cleaned the SCR 3b.
The coin unit is in the cab
The player unit is in the head
Games works perfect on one player. Set at 5 balls. All works well

Still getting 4 players when I only hit the start button twice and then on the fourth player - it sticks on ball one never advancing

I’ll review the links above to check if I can find anything. (Needle in a haystack. Lol)

At least it’s getting some much needed cleaning !

#8 4 years ago

When coining up Hang Glider, do you just coin up 2 players & it and it plays through 4 players ?

did you try coining up a 3'rd player (or 4'th player) , if it only happens only on the 2'nd player perhaps a problem in a Jones Plug

more probably the "player reset" relay and or the 4b score motor switch

I can't fully wrap my head around how its supposed to know when "the last eligible player has played" is.

I know others here in the forums may have a better grasp such as rolf_martin_062 and I hope they can chime in.

Hang glider multiplayer (resized).jpgHang glider multiplayer (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

Rolf has saved me before!!!

#10 4 years ago

Ok, tired to check before work -

so - if I hit the start button once, for one player, the game goes through all 5 balls as it should, no issues.

If I hit the start button for 2, 3 or 4 players - in each instance, it automatically goes to 4 players, and keeps on ball one for player four, never advancing.

I've cleaned (thoroughly) - the coin unit, the player up unit, even the bonus unit. I've checked, cleaned the jones plugs (although I do not know which one is directly related to tis issue).

Note: This game is set to "free play" (I don't know how it was set up for this) - so just wondering, could how they have this set up for free play be messing with the player count issues I'm seeing?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

When coining up Hang Glider, do you just coin up 2 players & it and it plays through 4 players ?
did you try coining up a 3'rd player (or 4'th player) , if it only happens only on the 2'nd player perhaps a problem in a Jones Plug
more probably the "player reset" relay and or the 4b score motor switch
I can't fully wrap my head around how its supposed to know when "the last eligible player has played" is.
I know others here in the forums may have a better grasp such as rolf_martin_062 and I hope they can chime in.[quoted image]

I'll look at those jones plugs and the score motor switch shown above, this is great help, thank you again!

#12 4 years ago

Aha! Mark this one as solved! Had time to pull the playfield out enough to check those last two relays. One of which is the Player Reset relay. Be it stuck or dirty but once cleaned up -I’m getting correct operation. All number of players All number of balls.

“Chas10e” - you helped me fix two games quickly there - and more importantly I know where to look on the next Similar issue (and perhaps another noobie can do a search and find this helpful) so thanks a lot for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multi-player-issues?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.