(Topic ID: 124923)

Multi-player EM drop target banks that reset?

By o-din

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_CM.jpg
_spahnranch.jpg
HeroesBurger.jpg
image-812.jpg
image.jpg
Burrells.jpg
Burrells_Outdoor.jpg
devils-spit.jpg
guesthouse.jpeg
DSCN3490.JPG
DSCN3487.JPG
DSCN3488.JPG
DSCN3486.JPG
_Apocalypse-Surf-1.jpg
Modif RF.jpg

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks guys! All this pinball stuff is making me hungry.
Man cannot live on the silver ball alone.
DSCN3490.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

What you did to those ribs is blasphemy in these parts...

Great looking Surfer, though, congrats

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

What you did to those ribs is blasphemy in these parts...

Well, SoCal is not as famous for BBQ as KC is I agree, but with my limited resources here, I tend to do OK. Sometimes I slather a bit of this stuff on after I flip them over for the last time and let it bake on.
devils-spit.jpg

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, SoCal is not as famous for BBQ as KC is I agree, but with my limited resources here, I tend to do OK. Sometimes I slather a bit of this stuff on after I flip them over for the last time and let it bake on.
devils-spit.jpg

hey, that's our hometown stuff right there!

#54 4 years ago

It's got a kick to it and I like that. We also have a Famous Daves in Long Beach that we ate at a couple of weeks ago. Very good!

#55 4 years ago

You can still be a BBQ guy in SoCal. You don't need much.

Low and slow, indirect heat and don't sauce them until you take them off. Mop them in the last hour or so, but you want to be careful using sauce to do that, it can burn due to the high sugar content. Also, sauce can soften and remove the bark, and great BBQ is all about the bark. 3 to 4 hours on the smoker for ribs. Charcoal is ok to use, the real stuff (lump hardwood) is far superior to the "K" product. Just use that and some good hickory chunks early on in the process and you're on your way.

It's pretty simple.

The Devil's Spit sauce is pretty good stuff. Famous Dave's is ok for chain BBQ, we actually have it here. But it's pretty far down the list of places I'm going to go to get BBQ. If I'm somewhere else that doesn't have good stuff, I can go there though.

#56 4 years ago

I get all that and over the years have tried a few methods including several hours. I use coals and hickory and keep it covered. Since I am not running a restaurant, I get the results I am looking for in an hour and a half or two now and only sauce them (and sometimes don't) at the very end.

If we want to get the real deal around here there is Burrell's. Although I haven't been there in a while.

http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I get all that and over the years have tried a few methods including several hours. I use coals and hickory and keep it covered. Since I am not running a restaurant, I get the results I am looking for in an hour and a half or two now and only sauce them (and sometimes don't) at the very end.
If we want to get the real deal around here there is Burrell's. Although I haven't been there in a while.
http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

Cool. That's mid-way between some friends we meet for dinner. We will have to check it out.

There is always Lucille's when we need our Smokehouse fix, but still looking for some really good BBQ out in Orange County.

#58 4 years ago

There's a general rule about BBQ places.

If you can't smell it when you drive up to it, just keep on going.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

There's a general rule about BBQ places.
If you can't smell it when you drive up to it, just keep on going.

Funny you should say that. In West Covina, there is a 5 Guys next to a Lucille's. Inside the 5 Guys, it smells heavenly of the wood smoker from next door. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed in my 5 Guys Burger, should have followed my nose.......

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

That's mid-way between some friends we meet for dinner. We will have to check it out.

I wouldn't recommend going there when the weather is bad or it looks like rain, because there is only outdoor seating. It is almost like somebody's front lawn. But last time I went there it was very good.

Burrells_Outdoor.jpg

Burrells.jpg

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't recommend going there when the weather is bad or it looks like rain, because there is only outdoor seating. It is almost like somebody's front lawn. But last time I went there it was very good.
Burrells_Outdoor.jpg
Burrells.jpg

When is the weather ever bad in SoCal? And I was under the impression that it doesn't ever rain anyway. So eat some barbecue!!!

This place in KC used to be mainly outdoors, but it's kind of cold here in the winter. They started out selling wood to places, then decided to make their own Q.

http://woodyardbbq.com/

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I was under the impression that it doesn't ever rain anyway.

It usually doesn't. But today it looks like the skies may just open up and give us a little.

#63 4 years ago

Oh crap, there goes the phone again.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Oh crap, there goes the phone again.

Ever since they replaced that length of cable down the street with "temporary", my phone made it thru the three days of rain we had this winter just fine. I forgot to have hoov look at it while he was here and ask him what this "temporary" meant.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It usually doesn't. But today it looks like the skies may just open up and give us a little.

I don't think I've ever seen a drop of rain any time I've been out there. Clouds in the morning, yes. But no rain.

My brother in law who lives in LA confirms that people there don't drive very well once the first drop of rain hits the windshield.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

My brother in law who lives in LA confirms that people there don't drive very well once the first drop of rain hits the windshield.

That's because we won't slow down! You can't do 75-80MPH in the rain. Especially first rain of the season when all the oil comes to the top of the assphault.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I don't think I've ever seen a drop of rain any time I've been out there.

Then you would have really tripped out the time a tornado rolled down my street and left several of the trees along the parking area in the middle of the street including mine.

#68 4 years ago

Yes, along with all the earthquakes we do get an occasional tornado. Nothing like the ones in the midwest though I'm sure.

#69 4 years ago

Like was said, Famous Dave's is pretty good for a chain, but a couple of the best bbq I've had were in these two buildings. I highly recommend them if nearby and in the mood for bbq

Kansas City, MO
image.jpg

Birmingham, AL
image.jpg

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

5 Guys, it smells heavenly of the wood smoker from next door. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed in my 5 Guys Burger, should have followed my nose.......

We have several here. The food is absolute bland garbage, and the prices are astronomical.

#71 4 years ago

i get my bbq at uncle dewey's... it's an hour drive, and we make it MANY times during the summer...

when the wind is blowing right, i can smell it from a mile away...

http://www.uncledeweys.com/#!

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Like was said, Famous Dave's is pretty good for a chain, but a couple of the best bbq I've had were in these two buildings. I highly recommend them if nearby and in the mood for bbq
Kansas City, MO
image.jpg
Birmingham, AL
image.jpg

I eat at Dreamland every time I'm in Birmingham. It's not bad, but it just can't compare to Arthur's. Problem number one is they don't slow smoke the ribs, they grill them. They're not bad, but again, not much bark or smoke ring and without those, it's just not the same. But it's decent barbecue.

Jack, where in the world do you drive 75-80 on LA freeways? Nowhere in LA that I've ever driven. You couldn't do that on the 405 at 3 in the morning.

Well, I guess when you get further down south on the 5 or further up north you can do it, but in LA proper, I go faster on the city streets.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

not much bark

I usually get a lot more bark on my two hour ribs than I did last night. The beef had plenty, but the baby backs not so much. That's OK because they were very tender and tasty, and I've got some leftovers for when I get home from work.

As far as 5 guys is concerned, I ate there once and that was enough. There are plenty of restaurant/ bars in the downtown district that go out of their way to make burgers supreme.

HeroesBurger.jpg

#74 4 years ago

O-din I hear this place called Spahn Ranch has some great BBQ._spahnranch.jpg

I know it's a little out of the way but It comes highly recommended by this guy._CM.jpg

#75 4 years ago

Last time I ate there the food was so hot I got blisters on my fingers.

#76 4 years ago

Franklin BBQ in Austin, Texas. The center of the BBQ world. For beef brisket that is. Cooked low and slow (12 hours or more) on 100% Texas live-oak and seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper, the way BBQ was meant to be cooked. Then you can add your BBQ sauce once it's on the plate if you so desire.

Ok, I may have to fire up the pit this weekend and make a brisket now that I'm drooling. Damn, I miss Texas.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Franklin BBQ in Austin, Texas. The center of the BBQ world. For beef brisket that is. Cooked low and slow (12 hours or more) on 100% Texas live-oak and seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper, the way BBQ was meant to be cooked. Then you can add your BBQ sauce once it's on the plate if you so desire.
Ok, I may have to fire up the pit this weekend and make a brisket now that I'm drooling. Damn, I miss Texas.

Texas is really good at brisket. Too bad they don't know how to do all the other good stuff...

#78 4 years ago

Yeah but I could LIVE on brisket, borracho beans (pintos slow-cooked in beer with bacon), and some good slaw, washed down with a Shiner Bock and the Cowboys on the TV.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Yeah but I could LIVE on brisket, borracho beans (pintos slow-cooked in beer with bacon), and some good slaw, washed down with a Shiner Bock and the Cowboys on the TV.

It is great stuff. As I've gotten older, I've gravitated more to pork, though. I haven't had a beef sandwich in awhile.

Strangely, I really enjoy beef ribs. The big ones that look like Fred Flintstone at the drive in kind. Most people around here just eat pork and a lot of places don't have beef ribs.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It is great stuff. As I've gotten older, I've gravitated more to pork, though. I haven't had a beef sandwich in awhile.
Strangely, I really enjoy beef ribs. The big ones that look like Fred Flintstone at the drive in kind. Most people around here just eat pork and a lot of places don't have beef ribs.

i LOVE beef ribs, and they are unobtainable around here...

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i LOVE beef ribs, and they are unobtainable around here...

There use to this place in Vancouver called Dem Bones. They had a beef rib platter. The Beef ribs were cut to roughly 12" in length and usually 6. They also had a mixed platter of Beef Ribs, plus 1/2 rack of Pork Ribs, plus a chicken breast. Yum... Yum. Yum!

#82 4 years ago

We actually have a bbq world champ here in Madison WI. Smoky Jon's #1 BBQ. We have more than just beer, cheese and snow ya know.

1 week later
#83 4 years ago

I've been going thru this Surfer over the last couple of weeks and I finally got it to the point where I could play it last night. Unfortunately it did not come with schematics or instructions and I am going to wait until I get my other machines in before I place my next order so I have basically been going by instinct.

It is a fun layout to shoot with a lot of variety and once you get where you are not banging the posts around it, that spinner is really a great shot. The drop targets are set up in a way so they are challenging too.

I've been thru all the score reels, the ball count unit, credit unit, bonus unit, and cleaned and adjusted a few switches that were not registering. All of that seems to work flawlessly now, but I am left with a couple of things where the schematic might be of some help. I finished up what I could last night, but thought I might try to get some insight before I get back to it. The first thing is I'm not sure what is required to light the upper and side rollovers for added bonus and I am no sure they are working.

The second issue is when I start a game with the ball in the trough, it will reset and the when it kicks the ball into the shooter lane it will advance to ball two. If I push start while it is in the shooter lane it will start a game on ball one. At no time will pushing the start button add a second player, it only goes thru the reset cycle again, but if I manually trip the second player relay, it will. I'm guessing these may have something to do with the first ball relay, but not sure how the circuit is supposed to work until I dig into it some more. Any insight before I do will be welcome.

#84 4 years ago

Upper and side rollovers (if we are talking about the green lane guides and the lane behind the drop targets) rotate off an AS relay that is driven by either the spinner or 10's or 100's. It should reset to the same position/lane at the start of every ball. The lit lane provides two bonus advances instead of one for the unlit lanes.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Upper and side rollovers (if we are talking about the green lane guides and the lane behind the drop targets) rotate off an AS relay that is driven by either the spinner or 10's or 100's. It should reset to the same position/lane at the start of every ball. The lit lane provides two bonus advances instead of one for the unlit lanes.

Thanks! That should make it a lot easier to figure out.

Anybody have any ideas on the not adding a second player issue or the starting a game on the second ball? I'm guessing they are one in the same problem.

#86 4 years ago

OK. I fixed that little bugger. Now it works perfect. I'm almost there..

Now can anyone tell my why when I start a game, everything resets just fine, it shows ball one in play, but as soon as it kicks the ball over that switch on the way out to the shooter lane it advances to ball two?

#87 4 years ago

Shouldn't it not advance to ball 1 until after the ball kicks out to the plunger (and closes the ball trough switch in the process)?

Maybe the wiper disc is off by one on the Player Unit?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Maybe the wiper disc is off by one on the Player Unit?

That had occurred to me. I put it back the exact way it came apart, but I don't know if it was correct before because most of the machine was not working. I haven't done enough of these to know the correct position. I am down to this and not being able to ad a second player. Everything else seems to now be working.

#89 4 years ago

So not much to lose by rotating the wiper back one rivet and trying it...

#90 4 years ago

Ok, I just did. If it was off, it was always off because the screw marks line up in the old position. I can now start a game and it will go to ball one once it kicks out, but pressing the start button again while the ball is in the shooter lane does not add player two. The game resets again but shows no ball in play until it is plunged, scores some points, drains and kicks out again. Now it says ball one.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but pressing the start button again while the ball is in the shooter lane does not add player two.

Usually the second player can be added up until the point at which the game thinks points have been scored on the first ball. This is usually done via a switch on the 1st Ball relay (U). The U relay should energize at power on, and stay on until the game is reset. Then after reset, while U is still not energized, a normally closed switch on U allows the second player relay to energize and latch when the start button is pressed again. (Usually this is the CX relay.)

But if points are scored before pressing start again, then U energizes again, opening the switch that allows the second player to be added.

So it could be a dirty contact or open switch on U.

#92 4 years ago

Thanks Dirt. I will check that out

Edit- I may have been looking at the wrong wires on the first ball relay.

#93 4 years ago

OK, So what is happening is the first ball relay (U) is staying energized after the reset before any points are scored. Thus keeping the switch to the second player relay open.

#94 4 years ago

And that is because the two solder lugs on the switch on top of the U relay are touching.

Thanks Dirt! I'll see if everything else is in order tomorrow. It's getting late!

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

the two solder lugs on the switch on top of the U relay are touching

Good find!

#96 4 years ago

It was very hard to see because of where it was. I had to bend my neck.

#97 4 years ago

OK, I just played a few two player games with the player unit wiper disc back in it's original position and now it is a fully functioning machine. Thanks for your help guys! Not a bad player at all. Watch out for those balls rolling back from the spinner though.

Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing these may have something to do with the first ball relay, but not sure how the circuit is supposed to work

Thanks to my friends at the EM hangout, I can always get the answers I need right here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
550 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
Machine - For Sale
Shelburne Falls, MA
€ 8.40
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Mateo, CA
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside