IMG_2007 (resized).jpg
IMG_1999 (resized).jpg
IMG_1972 (resized).jpg
IMG_1958 (resized).png
IMG_1957 (resized).png
IMG_0677 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I've been considering adding a multi-cade cocktail table to my game room. I'm very familiar with MAME on the PC and I know that others have built MAME cabinets, but I was wondering if these are the same as what some are selling or if they are using some other platform.

For example here is a game builder in my area: http://www.aceamusements.us/ace-amusements-cocktail-table-arcade-video-multi-game-machines.html. He is asking $2495 for his high-end 2500-in-1 cocktail table, and I don't know if this is a good price, if this is something I could build myself for a lot less, or if it is even worth the headache of trying on my own.

Would be interested in hearing from those of you who have something similar or who have built one.

#3 7 years ago

Build your own for under $500 easy

#4 7 years ago

14) Headphones audio splitter -

Add a headphones audio splitter to headphones jack for headphones use by two players, $25.

This would bother me. That adapter is about $1. I would say the prices are too high.

#5 7 years ago

Don't build one yourself. The DIY cabs look like shit. You could get a real cab and mod it, but that is sacrilegious IMO.

The 2500-1 like you listed uses a Hamm's multiboard, they are made in China, use an older version of MAME and are kind of crappy to be honest.

Are you dead set on having a bunch of games in one cab? Is there a classic that you love? In my experience it's better to have dedicated cabs, they are 100 times cooler than a MAME. But if space is an issue, that might be a diff story.

Best place to buy dedicateds from is TNT

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

14) Headphones audio splitter -
Add a headphones audio splitter to headphones jack for headphones use by two players, $25.
This would bother me. That adapter is about $1. I would say the prices are too high.

Ya I'm sure the design, implementation and machining is free though, right? Always annoying when people say "xyz is $.50 cents on amazon errr mah gawd they upcharge!!"

#7 7 years ago

I think I'm more interested in the 412-in-1 vert cocktail table having researched more today. I would look at either repurposing/restoring existing cab or they also produce Maxine cut kits which I could easily design artwork for. I want a multi-game table not just for me but for family and guests.

#8 7 years ago

I built a 412-1 into a Bourbon Barrel and it is great! The only issue I have with the board is that it does not save high scores, which kind of sucks. It is not 100% perfect emulation but for most people it is a non issue

#9 7 years ago

Yeah, 412-1 board sucks. I hated it. Pandora's box V4 is the best multi cart I've ever used. Better for a two way cab with 8 way sticks though.

What type of games are you most interested in playing?

#10 7 years ago

I am most interested in classic vertical games: Donkey Kong versions, QBert (may be issue with regular joystick?), PacMan versions, Galaga, Centipede/Millipede (probably best with trackball?), BombJack, et.al.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I built a 412-1 into a Bourbon Barrel and it is great! The only issue I have with the board is that it does not save high scores, which kind of sucks. It is not 100% perfect emulation but for most people it is a non issue

Guess you haven't attempted the save game hack?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I am most interested in classic vertical games: Donkey Kong versions, QBert (may be issue with regular joystick?), PacMan versions, Galaga, Centipede/Millipede (probably best with trackball?), BombJack, et.al.

I bought a 60 in 1 with trackball, has the icade board, has those games except Q-bert.

#13 7 years ago

I need to figure out what is involved with Q-Bert. One of my favs, but my require a rotated joystick to work.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I need to figure out what is involved with Q-Bert. One of my favs, but my require a rotated joystick to work.

I play Qbert on my 412-1 tabletop with a standard 4/8 way happ joystick, and I have little issues. Since your not moving straight up or down or left or right, it can be tricky, but after a handful of games I got the hang of the joystick. Once reason I upgraded from 60-1 to 412-1 was so I could play Qbert. Great game. Very playable with a standard joystick..

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I play Qbert on my 412-1 tabletop with a standard 4/8 way happ joystick, and I have little issues. Since your not moving straight up or down or left or right, it can be tricky, but after a handful of games I got the hang of the joystick. Once reason I upgraded from 60-1 to 412-1 was so I could play Qbert. Great game. Very playable with a standard joystick..

Just to clarify, when you are playing Q-Bert with the joystick are you moving N, S, E, W to play or are you using the NE, NW, SE, SW of the 8-way to play? I've tried playing with standard up/down/left/right movement on Q-Bert but my brain just can't make it work very well.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just to clarify, when you are playing Q-Bert with the joystick are you moving N, S, E, W to play or are you using the NE, NW, SE, SW of the 8-way to play? I've tried playing with standard up/down/left/right movement on Q-Bert but my brain just can't make it work very well.

I wouldn't be able to use it like that either. Moving the joystick straight down would have to default to down/left or down/right which makes no sense. He must be using the diagonals in 8way mode?

#17 7 years ago

I'm currently on build 2.0 for my MAME. I'm about ready to start 3.0, which will be my first from scratch build. For this build I'm considering making two wall mounted units. These units would each have a single player 7 button layout (Capcom / NeoGeo). Most of the time this will allow players to play two different games, but I will also have them connected. The players could change the input and play the same game with the output mirrored to both monitors. I think I will be adding an external headphone jacks and USB inputs. I'd like to be able to be able to plug in original controllers for other game systems.

PS: I do think many people overdo their builds. They try to add ever button and configuration they think they might need. My suggestion is to eally think about what games you play most and design your build based on those. Keep it simple.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm basically moving NE/NW etc. Seems to work easier if I just tap the joystick in the direction I want to move it each move I make. If I move him all the way to the bottom from the start, I'll tap the stick 6 times. Hard to explain I guess. I rarely hold the joystick for more than one move, sometimes a couple. Just works better. If I keep my hand on it all the time, like say PacMan, I get off track from the NE/NW movement and go more N/W and away I die. . .

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'm basically moving NE/NW etc. Seems to work easier if I just tap the joystick in the direction I want to move it each move I make. If I move him all the way to the bottom from the start, I'll tap the stick 6 times. Hard to explain I guess. I rarely hold the joystick for more than one move, sometimes a couple. Just works better. If I keep my hand on it all the time, like say PacMan, I get off track from the NE/NW movement and go more N/W and away I die. . .

I grew up playing Q Bert on my atari 2600, so moving NSEW feels normal to me.

I have a Game Elf 500(or so, i forget the count) vertical screen games in one. It is OK for the most part. It plays some games better than the 60 in 1, but other games are worse. I kinda want a horizontal screen multicade now....

I have my multicade in a SF3 arcade cabinet. They must have made 100k of those cabs, so I wasn't worried about using one. It was already stripped anyways.

I had some kids over a while back and they some how messed up the joystick. It doesnt rest dead center anymore. I couldnt figure out exactly why, something is wrong in the sealed box area I can't get to. I assume kids where hanging off the game holding the stick... Need to find a good replacement I can easily switch 4 and 8 way.

#20 7 years ago

If you are already familiar with MAME, and if YOU are the "final user", don't buy one of those All in 1 cards. There is always going to be a game you want to play that won't be on that card. Also, it's nice to play the pinball simulators on a cabinet.
I agree that many panels are overdone BUT I consider the following mandatory:
*IPac2 Card (or better)
*Two switchable 8-way joysticks (or make one joystick a dedicated 4-way (with leaf switches) and your other joystick an 8-way (switchable). Depends on if you want to play Robotron, Smash TV or Black Widow properly.
*Spinner (Turbotwist) for Arkanoid, Tempest, and driving games like Pole Position.
*Trackball for navigating Windows menus and for games like Cabal, Centipede, Rampart etc...
*Coin Door (way more fun / authentic)
*Player 1 & 2 Start buttons
*Standby button (sleep)
*Minimum 6 buttons per player (even Asteroids traditionally required 5 buttons)
*Leaf switches on ALL the buttons (hair trigger sensitivity and less travel/ fatigue)
*Additonal Pinball flipper and nudge buttons on sides of control panel (Don't skimp, these should be leaf switches!). Very difficult to flipper pass consistently without leaf switches!
*External volume control with headphone jack.
You can get some Ikea-like flat pack kits if you want a cabinet that looks good and you can still build yourself. Years ago I purchased one from www.recroommasters.com. I am really happy with it (especially the hidden keyboard drawer, very handy). I agree with the above folks, don't try and build a cabinet from scratch and please don't destroy a dedicated cabinet. Good luck! . FYI, here is a cocktail cabinet assembly video from recroommasters:

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, I am not a big Linux guy so I have not attempted the update. If someone wants to do it for me I would happily pay (a reasonable fee)

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a 60 in 1 cabinet and would love to be able to save high scores. Any help on getting this to work would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ed

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

I have a 60 in 1 cabinet and would love to be able to save high scores.

mine with icade saves on certain games and not others

#24 7 years ago

Steve Gregory at Arcade Shop offers very nice stuff to easily put together a nice multi-cade.
http://v2.globalwebcart.com/arcadeshop/d/16/arcade-cabinets.htm

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I thought that Q-Bert was one of those games that required a 4-way joystick mounted on a 45deg angle. You can get away with an 8-way joystick, but the (original arcade) software couldn't recognize the two switches pressed simultaneously and would hang for like a frame or two. Nothing most players would notice, but annoying for an expert player. Like PAC-MAN, people always prefer a 4-way over an 8-way because there's better response.

I doubt you'd have a problem with MAME, but some of the cheaper multi game Jamma boards really show their flaws.

#26 7 years ago

I wouldn't consider a trackball or spinner as mandatory. Each support a limited number of games. If those games are some of your favorites then by all means add a spinner and/or trackball, otherwise I wouldn't consider it mandatory. Windows navigation is best on a $15 wireless keyboard. Just my opinion.

#27 7 years ago

I tried all the xxx in 1 boards...60 is the best...19 is good for horizontal...any other boards besides these two...most games are way off...or laggy...I went to a true MAME and got everything spot on..........Joey

IMG_0152 (resized).JPGIMG_0152 (resized).JPG

IMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0153 (resized).JPG

IMG_0154 (resized).JPGIMG_0154 (resized).JPG

IMG_1976 (resized).JPGIMG_1976 (resized).JPG

IMG_0139 (resized).JPGIMG_0139 (resized).JPG

#28 7 years ago

I've heard good things about this setup.
http://www.phoenixarcade.com/ArcadeSD.htm
If you are a woodworker, you can find plans on the web for say a Pac cocktail, if you're not, I would look at one of the flatpack style options mentioned above. I would also as was said above, figure out what games you want to play, and set up the controls for that, rather than putting in controls to try to do everything.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I tried all the xxx in 1 boards...60 is the best...19 is good for horizontal...any other boards besides these two...most games are way off...or laggy...I went to a true MAME and got everything spot on..........Joey

And you play Spy Hunter... how?

#30 7 years ago

If I was to go MAME route, can someone point me to a good recorder on how to setup all the inputs (joysticks, buttons, etc.)? I am still interested in cocktail table setup.

I am well versed with MAME on PC, and already have hundreds of ROMs.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Not worth it; that board sucks, trust me...The 60-1 is better.

Honestly, get a Vertigo from VPCabs; it's perfect for what you want...Awesome for pin heads too.

#32 7 years ago

I have used Ultimarc (I-PAC) for both of my builds. The I-PAC 2 is very simple, but if you are going with a complex build with a spinner or trackball perhaps look into the I-PAC Ultimate. In my opinion the I-PAC 2 was cheap enough that it wasn't worth trying to come up with my own keyboard hack or something else.

https://www.ultimarc.com/

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This is the problem with MAME cabs, you are always sacrificing something to play all games on one cab...Even with Pac, you won't have a grommet 4 way stick centered on the panel, you might have a 4 way, but it will be on the left side, and it won't be a CRT...You have to either get over that, or just pick one game that you absolutely love and get that, then you can always get another cab to play a bunch of games in.

At some point, you might rather play one game that is arcade perfect, then a bunch of others that aren't the real deal....Just my two cents as someone who has owned about a dozen dedicateds over the years.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

This is the problem with MAME cabs, you are always sacrificing something to play all games on one cab

This is so true. That's why I'm in the process of building one cab for each style of game. I'll probably have 4 or 5 cabinets when I'm done.

My first MAME, I tried to cram it all in one, but I quickly ran into the problem of someone playing Tetris while others wanted to play golden tee and things not really as nice as I'd like. The plan is One cab with 4players, 6 buttons on player 1 and 2. 3 buttons on player 3 and 4. It's for fighting games and NBA jam 4 player fun. My second cabinet is just vertical games, 1942, PAC-MAN ect 2 player with 3 buttons. I plan to add a spinner for arkanoid. My next project build is a golden tee MAME with all trackball games in it. I'd like to someday make a 2 player horizontal cabinet for most 2 player games. Then a final machine with 2 light guns for all gun games. It's the best solution if you have the space. I also have a sit down car seat running a PS3 for gran turismo and Skeeball. A little bit of everything to keep people entertained

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I wouldn't consider a trackball or spinner as mandatory. Each support a limited number of games. If those games are some of your favorites then by all means add a spinner and/or trackball, otherwise I wouldn't consider it mandatory. Windows navigation is best on a $15 wireless keyboard. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I just love Arkanoid, Tempest, Missile Command, Cabal and racing games way too much to go without a spinner and a trackball. I also use my trackball as a mouse to navigate the different user interfaces and select programs in Steam. I love my setup, wouldn't change a thing.

#36 7 years ago

I'll drop in...

All of my mame games are fully reversible, meaning that I use original gutted cabs. Then I restore them then mame them at a point where I can restore them back to original spec. They are all close to mint restored condition... its taken about 8 years

I use mame with hyperspin as the front end

I have a fix it Felix jr with 4wy joystick, crt monitor
It was a super Mario bros in a Dk jr cab that I converted... it hosts all vertical 4 way games with 1 to 3 buttons.

centipede, with added 2 extra buttons with mame consisting of several vertical games using trackball and 1-3 buttons, also added in missile command and crystal castles.

super punchout utilizing both original monitors, mame all playchoice 10 games, all Nintendo vs games, and all Nintendo arcade games using a 4 way joystick and 2 buttons, including punchout and arm wrestling

Dynamo cabinet street fighter 2 ce.
Mame , crt monitor , all arcade games using 2 players and 1-6 buttons each, also nes, super nes, pce, turbo grafx 16, (and soon sega Genesis)

Tron arcade mame with all vertical games using the spinner and Or joystick. Uses an original joystick, and the turbo spinner mentioned in the gentlemans post above.

I custom built a 2 player fight machine that mimics a vewlix that hosts almost every fighting game made

Custom built vert slim 1 player vewlix clone for shmups

I plan to do a driving one, but I keep getting distracted by pinball, I have a pole position cockpit that's begging me to do something

I've built a lot of other stuff with mame, it's wonderful if you know how to work with it and aren't afraid to tweak, aren't afraid to experiment and spend time building a nice front end, and buy the right stuff.

Also did a robotron with a crt and an Xbox 360 to play robotron and geometry wars 1,2,3 and other dual stick shooters

And a smb3 arcade with crt and original nes with an everdrive

IMG_7676 (resized).JPGIMG_7676 (resized).JPG

IMG_9382 (resized).JPGIMG_9382 (resized).JPG

IMG_1045 (resized).JPGIMG_1045 (resized).JPG

IMG_1263 (resized).JPGIMG_1263 (resized).JPG

IMG_1285 (resized).JPGIMG_1285 (resized).JPG

IMG_1286 (resized).JPGIMG_1286 (resized).JPG

IMG_2868 (resized).JPGIMG_2868 (resized).JPG

IMG_7675 (resized).JPGIMG_7675 (resized).JPG

IMG_7673 (resized).JPGIMG_7673 (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Yeah, I just love Arkanoid, Tempest, Missile Command, Cabal and racing games way too much to go without a spinner and a trackball. I also use my trackball as a mouse to navigate the different user interfaces and select programs in Steam. I love my setup, wouldn't change a thing.

Totally understand. My only point is they probably wouldn't be on a "must have" MAME materials list.

#38 7 years ago

Okay, here is where I am leaning. I like that I can just buy a cabinet here: http://www.recroommasters.com/32_Pro_Upright_Xtension_Arcade_Cabinet_For_The_X_p/rm-xt-32-pro-t.htm

My main question now is if I would be better off buying with the Xtension controller or building my own controller. I don't know what the quality of the Xtension is, I don't necessarily like its monotone colors (black & white), and it does not have spinners that I am assuming I could somehow add.

I'm sure that if I built my own, I could include everything I wanted button & joystick wise, customize my colors, etc. for probably the same price or cheaper (still researching that). What are everyone's thoughts? Any pics of home build 2 player control panels that have everything you need?

What are opinions on Ultrastik vs. Mag-Stik Plus (or something better) for combination of 4 & 8 way games (plus diagonal for Q-Bert)?

What are opinions of joystick ball vs bat style? I grew up on the ball type, but not sure if one is better overall than the other for all game play and comfort.

Finally, where is the best source to find out how to build a panel? I need to understand what parts I need, how many buttons, where to place everything, etc. (assuming I build one vs. buy a Xtension controller)?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, here is where I am leaning. I like that I can just buy a cabinet here: http://www.recroommasters.com/32_Pro_Upright_Xtension_Arcade_Cabinet_For_The_X_p/rm-xt-32-pro-t.htm
My main question now is if I would be better off buying with the Xtension controller or building my own controller. I don't know what the quality of the Xtension is, I don't necessarily like its monotone colors (black & white), and it does not have spinners that I am assuming I could somehow add.
I'm sure that if I built my own, I could include everything I wanted button & joystick wise, customize my colors, etc. for probably the same price or cheaper (still researching that). What are everyone's thoughts? Any pics of home build 2 player control panels that have everything you need?
What are opinions on Ultrastik vs. Mag-Stik Plus (or something better) for combination of 4 & 8 way games (plus diagonal for Q-Bert)?
What are opinions of joystick ball vs bat style? I grew up on the ball type, but not sure if one is better overall than the other for all game play and comfort.
Finally, where is the best source to find out how to build a panel? I need to understand what parts I need, how many buttons, where to place everything, etc. (assuming I build one vs. buy a Xtension controller)?

Byoac forums is a good place to start

I'm a fan of building stuff, although the extension will save you a ton of time, you may add stuff later.

A spinner does not take up much room, so it shouldn't be too hard to drill a hole and mount it in later.

As far as switching between four-way and eight way, you might want to build a panel yourself and do two players, with a single player for four-way in the center of the panel, look at BYO AC and see how others have constructed their panels to accommodate basic all in one controls.

This is where I got frustrated, and did not want to have one panel with everything on it. I built a 4 player Control panel, and it had almost everything on it, but it was too much to deal with for me.

My four player control panel is for sale, and I will post a few pictures, when I find the pictures. The control panel is in storage right now

#40 7 years ago

I would also probably build my own, but it's totally up to you.

#41 7 years ago

Does anyone have a high score board for pinball or arcade? I'm thinking about using a magnetic board with pictures of the marquee / backglass printed onto magnetic paper.

#42 7 years ago

The Xtension is shit, and it looks like it too, avoid it.

Building your own control panel is easy. Once you do it you'll wonder why you ever considered a crappy off the shelf controller that looks stupid sitting in a cab.

But this is a pinball forum and the resources here are limited. Get over to a place that's actually full of super helpful information. You can start here:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

But go to the forums too. Trust me, you'll find anything you want to know there.

#43 7 years ago

It looks like they are trying out some new patterns...

EE_classics (resized).pngEE_classics (resized).png

#44 7 years ago

I like fun

I do not like maintaining a fleet of "arcade" games

CRT's = fuzzy buckets of shit always requiring work. I've had a half dozen vids, still own a Cruis'n World. Gawd I hate CRT's & unreliable dedicated boards.

Thank god for LCD's, MAME's & giant ugly control panels. For real lol

If you want 50 arcade games that is cool. It really is. Super cool & admirable. It just aint for me.

20161126_215345 (resized).jpg20161126_215345 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

CRT's are very reliable and easy to work on. If a game came with a CRT I would almost never want to swap in an LCD.

#46 7 years ago

Haha CRTs are a huge pain in the ass. I mean, I love them, but they're still a pain. I should know, I have 7 in my garage right now, and I've had to repair them.

#47 7 years ago

I wish that there was a ~32" lcd screen that is 4:3 ratio not 16:9 something that would be the same size as an arcade crt

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You're going to start this thread, take all of our advice and then buy this??

No no no; this is total shit like aurich said...Don't waste your time or money with this cab...Total poop

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I like fun
I do not like maintaining a fleet of "arcade" games
CRT's = fuzzy buckets of shit always requiring work. I've had a half dozen vids, still own a Cruis'n World. Gawd I hate CRT's & unreliable dedicated boards.
Thank god for LCD's, MAME's & giant ugly control panels. For real lol
If you want 50 arcade games that is cool. It really is. Super cool & admirable. It just aint for me.

Agreed, at some point, you just run out of room...I am 3rd in agreeance that CRT's rock, but are a pain in the ass; and they always will take a dump at some point, it's great if you can work on them, I however don't have the where with all, so it's a tech visit...My class of 81 almost caught fire one time because of a bad flyback too, was some scary stuff.

I can't fault you for going with MAME, as it's super convenient, and amazing how accurate the emulation is with the newest version, I think it's up to .172?

Anyhow, good luck with your search...I do highly recommend VPCabs, I bought their vertigo after a similar search, and am very happy with it...Feel free to PM me and I can answer any questions that you have on it.

PS Be careful with a lot of the MAME dealers out there, most are sketchy, and some seem downright criminal; so be careful...Always ask around here, or maybe even KLOV if you have questions, although MAME is a 4 letter word on KLOV.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I wish that there was a ~32" lcd screen that is 4:3 ratio not 16:9 something that would be the same size as an arcade crt

This is the best LCD Arcade replacement there is; it's expensive, but awesome:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/accssories/49-2861-50

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multi-cade-mame-arcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.