Topic Stats

• 1,283 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 189 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191009_145910 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190325_112233 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190325_114237 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190325_113738 (resized).jpg
729dadbbfb006fda9e6cff8cc53c961911fb536b (resized).jpg
45a7387902378b64146876f9fbcdaa4e784fc335 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190323_212316_023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190320_093418 (resized).jpg
127df09f6907609a4f7dd07db6c8f4c90c4015b2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181013_180851 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181010_190531_063 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181010_190531_061 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181008_193611_864 (resized).jpg
IMG_5499 (resized).JPG
Multi-Bingo Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
Multi-Bingo Flyer.pdf (PDF preview)

There are 1283 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.
#1201 1 year ago

A good time was had on Friday, thank you zimjoe, clytor and the others (not on pinside, I think) who came and tried out the games.

I am VERY pleased to report that nary a single bug raised its head during playtesting.

Games played included United Nevada, Bally Sea Island, Bally Bikini, and a few other Bally games.

My animations mostly held up very well - there's a timing-related thing during startup - it is near impossible to time correctly due to the not-quite-a-ms-when-you-ask-for-a-ms nature of the framework. That's ok. Causes a few little jitters sometimes, but I'm not really worried about it. I can make it so that it does not cause the jitters, but the animation would be able to pre-empt itself in that case, which seems like a silly thing to do. Decisions, decisions.

I also realized that I have one more animation to write (I forgot. ) Miami Beach, with its Magic Curtains, works in a similar fashion to one direction on the Magic Screen. Should be a short leap to getting that working.

Things are going extremely well, and I am very much looking forward to York. Who's ready to try it?

#1202 1 year ago

I want to play it again. I only got a few minutes on it last year when there was a break in the never ending show action.

#1203 1 year ago

I look forward to seeing you play it rmarket! I look forward to York all year long thanks to you and your team's efforts, plus all of the collectors who bring great games and camaraderie. The White Rose Gameroom show is my favorite show - for many reasons! October can't come soon enough.

#1204 1 year ago

So, who would've thought that Miami Beach would be the hardest animation to write? I spent 5 hours yesterday writing and testing the animation... And I'm still not happy with how it looks. had to set it down for now. It looks much better than it did, of course, but not 'perfect'.

Today, the plan is to record and isolate various audio clips. Hopefully I get my games done, and I would like to go to a friend's house to record some of the unique screen game noises this week.

#1205 1 year ago

Planned audio from three different games/eras recorded. Tonight I will record a fourth, and I have video of a fifth that is quiet enough to isolate the last era of game I need.

Here's a sample of the auditory changes I'll be making.

Games prior to the development of the "R" button have a search disc that constantly rotates. As it rotates, it will engage one or more search relays.

I am going to write a function that is called on each ball landing in a hole to layer in the sounds of the appropriate search relay chatter.

I have a great, snappy tilt trip relay sound, but the sound for other trips is a little lackluster. Will layer that on top as well. Then, the sound of the backbox animations, motorized or coil-driven.

These seem like very small things, and they are compared to getting the game working in the first place, but they will be so important to any long-time player.

#1206 1 year ago

I have recorded the sounds, but have not yet had time to do a quality check/slice and dice them. Instead, I've been working on a little surprise, and will be posting that here in the next day or so.

#1207 1 year ago

I've completed the manual for the Multi-Bingo! This will allow others to easily configure their own games by providing a parts list, common troubleshooting techniques, and Jones Plug layouts for my personal game.

Some of the language has been adapted from the very well done United manuals.

https://github.com/bingopodcast/bingos/blob/master/bingo_emulator/Multi-Bingo%20Manual.pdf

#1208 1 year ago

Helped a friend work the bugs out of a 1947 "Kilroy" last night, which will make an appearance at the York show, and in turn was able to record some Magic Screen audio from a beautiful Bally Bikini.

I believe I have all the audio I need now, slicing and dicing and getting gapless playback is going to be the challenge. I spent an evening attempting to modify my search noises for earlier games, and ran into a problem with severe gaps on looped playback. Something like *sound* *silence* *silence* *sound* will not work.

I remember vaguely running into this problem initially with audio, and I believe I resolved it by exporting the audio to WAV instead of MP3. Will try that and re-modify the code.

#1209 1 year ago

I've got my sounds edited and mastered. I'm inserting them game-by-game into the system now. Takes a while for each game as I need to review existing soundscape, edit as needed, then test the game as a whole. So far so good - but I'm only four games in. I'm sticking with WAV for now.

#1210 1 year ago

Working my way chronologically through all the games yet again, and I cannot believe how amazing the games sound now. Everyone's in for a treat at York - accurate animations, accurate sounds, etc. etc. etc.

Very pleased with how it's turning out, and I'm only in 1953!

#1211 1 year ago

Trucking through the Bally games... I've made it to the Magic Screens. I have three randomized motor sounds for coin drop - just an example of the level of detail I'm working towards.

Looking forward to the extremely interesting sounding United games, and how I might slice up the audio to make it sound authentic.

I asked for a coin lockout buzz sound from someone today on Facebook, and I will use that to simulate the search index buzz. It's hard to isolate just the search index noise, but your ear reaches for it if it is not there.

I get a little more excited about these changes every day - funny enough the small touches really give me the most pride.

#1212 1 year ago

rah rah rah rah!

#1213 1 year ago

Ah, finding these audio bugs is challenging. I am documenting them all on the issue tracker, as per usual, though the private repo is where all the bugs and fixes can be found until I do another sync with the public repo (will be before York).

https://github.com/bingopodcast/bingos/issues

Pretty minor stuff so far, but as each game/system handles search slightly differently (some changing the background 'music', some playing a single sample).

I've finished all the Magic Screen games, which means that the most popular games are accounted for already, aside from some minor tweaking for the six cards (adding in trip relay noises for Dixieland, for example).

I unearthed a potential problem with the eb_play relay and games where the relay is potentially shown as holding even after red button press, but before coin drop. Just have to add a quick display() call to those games. Will circle back and do that (I've been spot checking games, and haven't found issues beyond Double Header, but figure a check of them all won't hurt).

#1214 1 year ago

That eb_play relay bug actually bit several games, especially the 20 holers. I've fixed them all on my lunch break. Still working on sounds (a much bigger project).

#1215 1 year ago

Working through them all - finished up with 1970 tonight. Still moving forward!

#1216 1 year ago

I'm on the United games now - generation 2! I have three separate coin noises for generation two, similarly to the Magic Screens, these games have a very unique coin flash noise.

Home stretch! Then a run back through to handle search index buzz, then a lot a lot a lot of testing.

Then it's showtime!

In the interim, I have a final touch that I'll be working on. Care to make any guesses as to what it will be?

#1218 1 year ago

Cannot wait to see this in action at York along with the opening of the unopened bingo!!!

Don O

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from Dono:

Cannot wait to see this in action at York along with the opening of the unopened bingo!!!

Thanks Dono - I'm excited about the unboxing too! I look forward to seeing you again in just a month!

#1220 1 year ago

Lunchtime bingo session - I have search index coil buzz fully integrated across the entire game - I have tested in a variety of sources and working as anticipated.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I have a final touch that I'll be working on. Care to make any guesses as to what it will be?

No guesses? I'll likely have this done this weekend, so you'll have to guess quickly. I'll sweeten the pot by sending a prize to anyone that guesses correctly!

#1221 1 year ago

Actual coin drop for 4 or 5 in a line with the coins dispensed being custom-minted Multi-bingo tokens (to avoid jail time).

#1222 1 year ago

Nope, the game does not have a hopper or coin slide dispenser (see the Multi Races for that!).

I will dispense one hint: it is not something physical dealing with the game, and it is not code-related. I have one winner on another platform - let's see if there can be another one over here!

Only 12 games left to test and then I am done! Very excited over here.

#1223 1 year ago

I've not only finished all the audio changes - I've finished everything! All bugs squashed. All problems resolved.

I've also made a final checkin to the public repository. If there are any other bugs discovered, I will update the public repo, but otherwise, it should be considered complete and ready to use, and includes the manual and schematic.

With this, the project is almost complete. There is only one more thing I plan to do before this years' York show. No one has guessed yet, but there's still time.

#1225 1 year ago

Nice flier! You need any play testing?

1 week later
#1228 1 year ago

Played some games last night in prep for the York show - just making sure everything is still working well.

Acapulco, got 256 replays on a super score line. This has become one of my favorite games because of the amazing number of options.

Circus Queen (one of my favorite screen games) got four in the yellow super section for 96 (well, 95 - I spent one replay to get first extra ball! Luck was with the randomizers last night).

I played a few other screen games like Ballerina - just bug hunting, and seems to be working properly. I'm still a little peeved at the difference between the 'production' computer and my dev computer (power-wise), but it's not a huge deal.

Very excited to share this with everyone in about two weeks!

#1229 1 year ago

I never posted the manual here, and I've heard from a few folks that it could not be opened on a mobile phone - try this one.

Multi-Bingo Manual.pdf

#1230 1 year ago

I'm still a little peeved at the difference between the 'production' computer and my dev computer (power-wise), but it's not a huge deal.

What differences are you seeing?

#1231 1 year ago

Primarily that the computer is less powerful in the game itself and so my tuned animations have a couple of timing issues which are not present on the development machine.

Need more power!

It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

#1232 1 year ago

Fixed an actual bug! 20px off on one animation position in Touchdown. All fixed. Really very much enjoying just playing. Not playing well, mind you, but it's a lot of fun.

#1233 1 year ago

Primarily that the computer is less powerful in the game itself and so my tuned animations have a couple of timing issues which are not present on the development machine.

Need more power!

So, with the system you've cobbled together, are you able to upgrade to a more powerful computer/processor/whatever-the-heck-you-need?

#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So, with the system you've cobbled together, are you able to upgrade to a more powerful computer/processor/whatever-the-heck-you-need?

I could, but that costs money and time. I thought about just leaving it (why make waves this close to the show) - but by now, I think you all know I can't leave well enough alone. Instead, I'm going through and adjusting the animation speeds to something that works better for the production computer. We're talking thousandths of a second differences, but it is noticeable when you stack 60 frames together.

I'm going through each game chronologically and making sure that physical items like lamps are flashing appropriately during the animations and that they are not causing problems when the lamp is awarded. So far, so good! I'm up to Night Club as of last night - just about to hit the era of the Magic Screens. Thankfully for these timing changes, I find the appropriate numbers, tweak them within the code for game X that uses that feature, and I can push to the rest of the games. I test them all, but generally, the setting for game X works just fine with games Y and Z.

#1235 1 year ago

I hit the worst bug so far! The "teaser" arrows on the time tree will occasionally disappear while the screen is in motion.

This is incredibly minor, but has to be changed per game. On Roller Derby now, into 1960! Only two more decades to go.

If that's the worst bug I find, that's not too bad. I'm adjusting timing of animations as I go. Aside from my poor animation skills, it's looking pretty great, at least I think. Hopefully you all do as well!

#1236 1 year ago

it's looking pretty great, at least I think. Hopefully you all do as well

One week until the rest of us find out for ourselves! *Excited!!!*

#1237 1 year ago

Thanks Ryan!

Did I mention that I added in a method to speed through the menu? If you hold the button down, it will page through the menu rather than having to mash the left or right buttons 142 times. (Thanks to all who suggested this feature - I finally relented)

I'll make a video of all the games in the Multi before the show and post it here.

#1239 1 year ago

Last night, I finished my in-game testing of everything - I need to pay a little more attention to Dixieland as a cold solder joint on a trough switch caused some real havoc with the lifter routines at Allentown. I've addressed that (I think!) so I'll see what happens. Looks like a six card night!

I did find a few graphical polish things which were not very obvious - small areas where the backglass of one game can leak into another, like the gaps between the magic screen and the backglass in Silver Sails. I just have to export another menu/GI image with a tiny bit more masking and it won't be visible anymore. Another item is something that a person brought to my attention a while ago - the replay registers on some games are lit up like the sun. This happened due to two different techniques used to display the numbers on the bingo card - for some games, I used a simple green-screen type technique where I tell the game to ignore anything that is hot pink and turn it transparent. For others I used full alpha. The games with issues use the hot pink as there is no variation on the alpha - it's always 100%.

Anyway, long-winded way to say that there are no mechanical or functional issues in a few hundred games played over the last few days.

I'm thinking of bringing a 20 hole playfield along with the standard 25 hole to swap at York if there's interest. Thoughts?

The vast, vast, vast majority of games are 25 hole (I believe 105 out of 142), but the 20 holers make up another 16ish.

#1240 1 year ago

Spent the evening testing/playing a bit more... The art issues mentioned above are fixed... But I discovered a missing comma in one menu item. Haha! Minor thing, will be fixed shortly.

#1241 1 year ago

I'm thinking of bringing a 20 hole playfield along with the standard 25 hole to swap at York if there's interest. Thoughts?

While I've played the Multi before, I've never seen a playfield swap and always been curious to witness it. With that said, I can see bringing another pf a pain in the buns and finding a SAFE place to store it during the show a huge cause for nerves. With all that said, I don't believe you've ever publicly swapped a
playfield before, right? So...y'know...whatever you're comfortable with.

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I don't believe you've ever publicly swapped a
playfield before, right?

Correct - it's about as involved as you might expect. Drop all balls, unscrew side supports, unplug three Jones Plugs, lift out, install new, reverse process. There is a separate single pin Jones that needs to jump to another spot that actually does the restricting for the menu. It takes a few minutes, and I like to power the game down while doing it. Not technically necessary, I don't think, but better safe than sorry when you have 50VAC flying around with 5 and 12VDC.

The 50V shouldn't jump without the associated relay closing, but why risk it? The game has to be torn apart to swap the playfield anyway.

The biggest hurdle to this is that I will need to test the 20 hole playfield. I haven't had it in the game since wiring it up. What could go wrong?!

I'll see if there's time this weekend, but it's pretty packed.

My thinking, though, is that 20 holers are not well represented at the show typically, and there are some really neat ideas in the 20 hole games. Perhaps this is too ambitious for the show. OK, I might have talked myself out of it. If there is room, and I have a chance to test it, I'll bring it. I'd store the unused playfield under/beside the game. Should be ok.

#1243 1 year ago

Oh, and my six card evening turned into a Magic Screen evening. But I was testing the visibility of the replay register on most of the screen games. All good. Tonight(?) will be my six card evening.

#1244 1 year ago

The biggest hurdle to this is that I will need to test the 20 hole playfield.

Yah, nevermind.

OK, I might have talked myself out of it.

Thank goodness. Seriously, leave it be. Playfields can be the 2019 draw.

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Seriously, leave it be.

Well, now it's a challenge. But time is against me. I just need to double check my jones plug work, and, assuming it's correct, make sure that the gate switch is not NO vs NC, for example. Not a huge deal.

#1247 1 year ago

I'm just now seeing the flyer and manual. Looks great!

#1248 1 year ago

Thanks Jeff! Looking forward to seeing you again at York.

Testing/playing went well last night. Few hundred replays on Dixieland. No problems! Pulled out my 20 hole playfield Ryan.

#1249 1 year ago

Pulled out my 20 hole playfield Ryan.

...aaaand?

#1250 1 year ago

Man, a whirlwind weekend with social obligations killed my ability to test the playfield. I may be able to do so tonight, as I am planning to pull and clean the 25 hole playfield anyway. But tonight is the last night I'll have to do that.

I did do a brief bit of bingo-ing yesterday - some maintenance on my United Caravan, which is also headed to the show. Lubricated both motors, motor bearings and clutches in the machine, as well as the metal-on-metal contact points of the roto unit. But then got pulled away right after taking out the glass on the Multi and could not get back to it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 499.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 70.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
There are 1283 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside