IMG_20190323_212316_023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190320_093418 (resized).jpg
127df09f6907609a4f7dd07db6c8f4c90c4015b2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181013_180851 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181010_190531_063 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181010_190531_061 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181008_193611_864 (resized).jpg
IMG_5499 (resized).JPG
There are 1,298 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.
#801 6 years ago

Venice is done! It added an 9th step to the special game from Orient, which Bally called 'Super Double-Up'.

Again, you can play either the special game, the main game, or both!

Next up, another leap in complexity.

#802 6 years ago

London is done, thanks to some great images and questions I had answered by James Willing from the Spooky Pinball Podcast!

London ramped up the complexity of the special game - now, after coining up, you must land your first three balls in holes with three separate symbols (circle, triangle and square). If you do so, you can collect the base special game odds, or you can (potentially) triple your winnings by pressing a button to select a new symbol to shoot for with ball 4.

If you land in -that- hole, then you can press the button again to light a different symbol to land in for ball 5, again tripling the tripled odds from ball 4!

The numbers are selected by a 15 position stepper inside the game. Each button press on the special game has the potential to move this stepper.

Looks very challenging, and will likely be the hardest game to play on the Multi. Well, the hardest game I've yet worked on...

The standard Mystic Lines gameplay returns with all of the features of previous games - doubled or tripled odds in one color, extra balls, after 5th, and an added feature: the twin number.

If lit in position 4, one of two sets of numbers will illuminate. 11-19 or 17-18. Landing in either of the numbers for the lit set will automatically light the other number!

For example, if 11-19 is lit, and you land in 19, 11 is spotted automatically.

The stepper has 8 positions and will light both sets with enough movement.

As with most mystic lines games, lighting the mystic lines is fairly easy, followed by the time tree, followed by odds, then the twin number feature, then special game odds, then score doubling or tripling.

One more hybrid solid state game in the Mystic Lines series left to write and 12 overall!

#803 6 years ago

Safari is complete. This game has the (now standard) Mystic Lines gameplay, but adds one of the best Special Games (the Animal Feature)!

The Animal Feature has 24 possible positions. Each hole you land a ball in will move you up or down 1-3 positions on the Animal Feature.

At intervals, a circle is shown on the Animal Feature - this circle will either have the image of a Lion, Rhino, or Giraffe. The Giraffe is the most valuable.

The nice thing about this game is that you can continue to play through the whole game, without losing entirely.

Pretty neat!

This game may have been the beginning of the end of the hybrid solid state experiment. There was a problem with the Animal Feature.

If I recall correctly, the switches for the holes required only a tiny amount of current to move the arrows. A player could bump the machine and cause the animal feature to move multiple times if a ball was in the hole. That would be pretty rough.

There are four more solid state hybrid games (two produced after this), but this is the last regular Mystic Lines game with the hybrid solid state board.

#804 6 years ago

Dude, you are a machine! when do we get pictures and videos, all this text stuff is wearing us out

#805 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

when do we get pictures and videos

Soon, I promise. I am sprinting to the finish line right now, and I will be taking lots of photos/video within the game and streaming and etc. once I am in testing. I've got a LOT to test.

For now, you have to put up with my descriptions.

(But only for 11 more games).

The games are running on my development machine, which has drawbacks when photographing/videoing. Plus, I'm pretty lazy. No shortage of excuses.

...The sun was in my eyes!

#806 6 years ago

Super-7 is done! Bally has entered their short-lived and ill-advised 'wood paneling' or 'picnic table' artwork phase... it lasted for 3 games. I find it charming, but certainly odd, unless you had a bank of these together, I think they would stick out or blend in too much at the time (1970-1).

Super-7 (and its sister, which is almost complete) have one of the craziest special games. The Super-7 special game has increasing odds in a tower, like all of the other hybrid solid state games. Super-7 differs in that you can win on two balls! There are odds for your second, third, fourth and fifth ball.

Gameplay for the special game works like so - coin up and plunge your first ball. Each playfield hole has a corresponding number from 1-6 (19 is worth 2, for example). With your first two balls, you must land in two holes that equal the number 7 when added together. So, with my 19 example, you would also need one worth 5 to win. At this point you can collect, or continue.

To continue, you need to note the color of each circle around each hole. They alternate red and yellow.

First, you must land in an even-numbered playfield hole to complete the third ball. At that time you can collect, or plunge ball #4 - this one has to land in a yellow (odd-numbered) hole. Again, the choice is to collect or play ball #5 and land in another red hole.

The choice is quite vital - assuming you added correctly to get 7 to begin with, you risk all replays to continue the special game with each plunge.

Extra balls do not count towards the special game.

I like it. Looks sufficiently difficult to keep me on my toes.

Regarding the main gameplay, the Mystic Lines have returned (with associated star zone scoring, extra balls, and red letter game), but with a twist: the section layout and numbering have been completely redone to give the appearance of four 7s mashed together on the backglass. Kind of a cool effect, but I am not sure how the game will play. I'll be sure to report back.

10 left!!!

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3225/image-1.jpg

#807 6 years ago

Bonus-7 is also done.

This game has all of the features of Super-7, with the addition of a carryover feature for the special game: lighting either 2 or 3 holes at the bottom center of the card will advance your special game odds to the top on your next game. The rules and gameplay of the special game are the same as that of Super-7.

Single digits left - 9.

From the next game forward, Bally switched back to full EM. Whether the solid state experiment was killed by failure of components, repair technicians, or the game itself (as speculated in my writeup of Safari) - we may never know. The next game is the most requested by my kids, and is about 50% done.

#808 6 years ago

Double-Up is complete. Since this game was sold from my collection, my kids have asked me frequently if it was done yet... well, now it is.

Double-Up retains the traditional Mystic Lines gameplay (red letter game, star zone scoring, and doubled scores), but adds the ability to choose a single color to be doubled or quadrupled! The maximum payout for this game is 2400 (600 x 4).

The trick is that when you change the odds in one color, it drops all the other colors to scoring 1/2 of their normal amount! This wouldn't be a problem if I was a better player.... but I tend to think I have a great shot at winning a huge amount, then end up winning half of a lower set of odds instead... *sigh*.

Bally removed the white button, but added a footrail button to handle the color selection.

I believe this was the second-heaviest game Bally produced.

This was a game that (embarrassingly), when I had set it up initially in the garage, I unbolted the head while it was attached, and it fell backwards. I caught it... bad idea. But the game was saved (thanks to two other members of my family that were nearby). Thankfully I had lowered the front service board or I'd likely be dead instead of finishing this game...

Ah, memories.

8 left.

#809 6 years ago

Hawaii is also done! Bally added the Stop and Shop feature on top of the features of Double-Up.

Hawaii has, hands-down, the best manual I've yet read from a Bally bingo. Lots of detail, history, and interesting information.

This is the last stop and shop game, but Bally changed the name (for some reason) to X Feature. The X Feature has one stepper and 2 relays. The flier says the weight is 443lbs, and Double-Up is quite close to that.

The X Feature was hard to program, believe it or not. And boy, it's stingy! If I read the schematic and manual correctly, there's one guaranteed step and each other step is only available after your yellow odds get pretty high. I wouldn't hold out hope that it lights during normal play.

Thankfully the rest of the game is quite good - it is essentially Double-Up without the woodgrain.

7 left.

I have two more Mystic Lines games, each with unique playfield features.

#810 6 years ago

I forgot how weird the portioning was for these 40 coin max games. (I have two coming up next).

Throw out all the mixers and add a randomizer disc that will engage or disengage two reflex factor relays. Those handle extra portioning of odds and features, but the main portioning is simply a spotting disc substitute called the Program Disc, and one other 'mixer'-type unit called the Scramble Disc.

Bally got this design from the 70s six cards.

#811 6 years ago

Mystic Gate was just completed. It's a bit of a departure from the feature-packed games that came just before. Like Bonanza (the last Magic Squares game), Mystic Gate was a 40 coin max game. In these, the circuitry was greatly altered to give a fairly advantageous game to the player within 40 coins, at which point the game would take no more until it was reset or tilted.

Mystic Gate's main feature is the rebound rubber. It's motorized to lift out of the way when the player activates a footrail control. While in the up position, the player can shoot all the way around the arch and rebound off of a flipper shoe mounted to several heavy duty springs underneath the playfield. This gently pushes the ball towards the second row of holes, which is pretty interesting!

The star zones can light simultaneously, but they greatly reduced the number of replays awarded - from 600 and 300 to 100 and 25. :-/

They removed the red letter game, and extra balls. A drastically simpler game that still has a unique and interesting feature. Can't wait to try it!

The game was apparently going to be called 'Golden Gate' based on the documentation - I wonder why they decided that a callback was inappropriate? Golden Gate is a very beloved game, but of course Mystic Gate has completely different play. I think it was wise to rename the game in the end, but the docs were not updated.

#812 6 years ago

Heck yeah! Portioning for the next game is almost exactly the same. Makes life really easy. Btw, 6 left.

#813 6 years ago

...and just like that, Tahiti is complete.

Several years ago, some of these turned up still in the box. Since that time, I've seen a couple other new ones show up as well.

This is a polarizing game - some love it, some hate it. Must have to do with if you played it on route.

The game play is the familiar (and final) Mystic Lines, with the same lowered payout for the star zones as on Mystic Gate, along with the 40 coin limit.

What they added was the ability to reverse B and C when stepping the Mystic Lines unit - meaning, B will normally light before C, but sometimes C will light before B - kind of interesting!

On these 40 coin limit games, the Mystic Lines light MUCH less frequently than on the standard games.

This game also marked the return of one of my favorite features: the hold feature! Bally changed the name to the Ball Return feature, and it is functionally different, too.

You have two buttons, left and right. Holding Left will drop all the balls in Mystic Line 'B' (the two leftmost columns). Holding Right does the same for Mystic Line 'C'.

With no extra balls or spotted numbers, this was a whole heckuva lot easier to write than Palm Springs, Surf Club or Ice Frolics.

Down to the final FIVE!!!

#814 6 years ago

Had a great idea for smooth rotation. Too slow. Doing these games the hard way first, then will refine in later days.

Big Wheel is next and it is really interesting.

#815 6 years ago

Big Wheel is the latest game complete.

This game is really, really unusual.

It uses a standard 20 hole playfield. The numbers are arrayed in the backglass in a circle.

Inside that circle, is another circle filled with colored sections - each section highlights somewhere between 2 and 5 numbers.

Inside of that circle, is yet another circle marked A-E. This matches with the feature stepper on the left. As you earn the feature, the inner section wheel will rotate through that lit letter. It's insanely complicated.

I wasted an evening attempting a new method of rotation for my sprite, but it wasn't smooth of clean enough, so I threw that out and step the wheel like a stepper. There are essentially 20 unique scoring positions. In my search algorithm, I have to take note of each position of the wheel and the winning combinations in each. It's nice enough that I wish I hadn't even tried... oh, well!

There are no extra balls, and the selection feature unit (time tree) can be stepped with rollovers, sort of a throwback to Ballerina, and the stepping of the Magic Screen feature unit.

The game also uses a solid state board to detect winners. Once a winner is detected, the player has a choice of dropping all the balls and playing for double or nothing in a special game, or accepting the win and taking their replays.

Well, Bally decided that wasn't complicated enough, so if you win that double or nothing game, you get yet another opportunity to double your winnings by dropping the balls again!

I programmed the feature similarly to a red letter/ok game, as that's essentially what's happening behind the scenes. It was pretty tough, but I'm really excited to play this game.

Four left!

#816 6 years ago

Glad to see someone in still working on a Bingo resurrection
I was doing kinda the same, but I was using Arduino on a Miss bowling 2 turbo. I ran soon into the securityprotection, wich I had figured out after a couple of days.
During the loss of interest over time, breaking my head about some hardware to code issues, and getting a house/kid, i've thrown the towel on mine. Traded it to a guy for a 'bak of Duvel' as a furniture project.

Just curious about ur playfield basecode atm.

#817 6 years ago
Quoted from Gunske:

curious about ur playfield basecode

Playfields (the game will allow you to swap them), are each handled in a similar way. I have methods to handle balls hitting each switch, and have those tied to virtual 'relays' in the case of the rollovers, or directly appending to a dictionary (the trap holes themselves).

The code is open source (GPL3), and I periodically sync my device branch with the public repo.

GitHub.com/bingopodcast/bingos

I made a separate directory for each game. Game.py within that directory contains the game portioning/logic. Some of the mechanical to logical changes were quite hairy (like Big Wheel, ouch!).

I would love to see your Arduino code sometime if you're willing to share.

Thanks for the interest!

#818 6 years ago

I searched and combined the basic codes for each event, since the 2 cards where controlled by 5 horizontal motors with 2 motorswitches (NO/NO, NC/NO, NC/NO, NC/NC) I needed to write the program 4 times. That's why I lack intrest after 3 weeks.

Bought the 64button switch Matrix shield for my inputs, works perfect.

#819 6 years ago

I have everything but the payouts complete on Magic Ring. I think this may be the most complex bingo pinball machine ever made. Any previous statements I've made about that were wrong.

It's incredible, but boy, it's tough to replicate! I can only imagine coming up with the circuitry to do this in '68.

#820 6 years ago

So, what makes these 'wheel' games so tough?

Big Wheel has to track the state of the game in three different ways - do you have a winner on the normal 5 ball game? Do you have a winner on the double or nothing? How about on the double-double? There's a single set of odds to compare against, and something akin to 3/4/5 in a row.

Magic Ring has to track in a much more sophisticated way. It needs to track as above, but Magic Ring added triple deck scoring (and a couple extra mixers). That's fine, it would still work very similarly to Big Wheel... except... Magic Ring added an ability to collect in each color except for one and continue playing the double or nothing game.

Keep in mind that with an extended time tree, the player can move the wheel into one of 20 unique positions... including after playing a full game, and it may become more obvious why this is so difficult. I constantly have to scan for winners, while ensuring that a player can add replays at any time, while still being able to play the special game...

Ahh!

That's not even all of the scoring features on this game, but just one of the most complex problems. I'm handling in a way similar to the hybrid EM/solid state game, but it's still just very, very difficult.

#821 6 years ago

Lunchtime! Scoring is working except for the feature in Magic Ring that allows you to double/quadruple the winnings in a single color after collecting the others. Really happy I'm closing in on the end of this game. What a challenge!

#822 6 years ago

Magic Ring is done! Wow. That was tough.

This is the second and final 'ring' game. Again, you are limited by letter to how far you can move the wheel. Like in Big Wheel, you can rotate it all the way around (360 degrees) and after 5th allows you quite a few chances to make a winner.

Since the numbers surrounding the wheel are static, the challenge comes in hitting numbers that are beside each other on the glass - 3 or 4 to begin with. 5 if you're really good.

Once you've won, the game will prompt you to play for Double or Nothing. If you press a button, the game will reset, bringing your wheel feature all the way to letter E (the highest). At this point, you have three balls to land two next to each other in a section. The section is determined by white button play. It starts with 2 in the red and moves all the way to encompass all four sections.

If you manage to do that... the game will flash double or nothing again, and you can again restart the game for double-double of your initial color win!

.... or nothing.

This game has triple deck scoring, which adds to the challenge.

Another feature is the ability to collect your winnings in all colors except for one for double or nothing play. Strategically, if you have after 5th lit and your letters up to E, you can choose the color with the highest odds to double.

There's an added feature, ported from the Mystic Lines games - four 'rings' were added to the backglass - if you hit all four of them with the feature lit, you earn either 300 or 600 replays! Pretty snazzy.

No extra balls - I really like the concept of these two games - kind of a throwback to A-B-C, but with so many features. I think this will likely be a game that I come back to over and over again for the challenge.

#823 6 years ago

A good evening for me is reading and understanding the portioning shown on the schematic of the next game.

That said, I'm interested in hearing -your- opinion.

Do you consider the 'card' games to be bingo pinball machines?

The games in question are:

Hi-Hand - http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1179
Yukon - http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6197
Twin Joker - http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2687
Joker Wild - http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3573

I consider them to be offshoots - single coin play, no replays (only novelty play except for Yukon). 25 trap holes in a unique arrangement. 2 different manufacturers.

But... I want this to be a comprehensive bingo emulator. That means I plan on adding these 'cousins' eventually. Do you think I should add them before calling the project code-complete?

I've considered them completely optional, but as I enter the last three games... I wonder if I should consider it the last seven games.

Your thoughts are appreciated! Post 'em here or PM me.

#824 6 years ago

No way. The bingos were about a joust between the players and the operators. The games you mention here didn't have that component so imho they wouldn't be classified as true bingos. Was the Twin Joker a ruse to ship illegal parts across state lines?

#825 6 years ago

Another one down - Miss Universe is one of only two 18 hole games. It did away with the Magic Lines feature that made the Miss America games so much fun, and replaced it with a 'screen' that moves one position up or down.

The card has also been modified - instead of the familiar 5x4 or 5x5, we have a 6x3 card.

There are no extra balls, and, oddest of all, this is a 3 ball game!!

There are some features to help you earn up to a six in a row (a first for the bingos thus far!): spotted numbers that are awarded on a 'mystery' basis in either red or yellow. These mystery spots will spin on the backglass only if you smack the rebound rubber on your second ball. Why? Because it will almost ensure that the ball will go down a side you don't want it to. So you have to make a choice between a sure thing and the potential that one of the six mystery numbers will help you.

This odd card also has corners scoring - but note that you can only get corners if you have a spotted number!

There's a second spotted numbers feature - this one is a return to select-a-spot from earlier games. But instead of being able to cycle through all 9 spotted numbers, you can select three at once by pressing a button on the footrail.

I've played this game a handful of times, and came away with an appreciation for the playfield layout - I think you could eventually get pretty good at hitting specific numbers - but I find the gameplay very, very difficult. Too difficult. Three balls is not enough for a game where you can get a six in a line...

Speaking of - when you do achieve the impossible, you are rewarded with that color's 5 in a line score + 192. Nice little bonus on top. But since the replay register can handle four digits (seriously, who can get 1000 credits on this game), I would've liked the six in a line score to be higher.

Lastly, this is a 40 coin max game. So you're stuck with what the game gives you after 40 coins, like it or not.

(Two left)

#826 6 years ago

One more for tonight - Continental. Not -that- Continental, this is another unproduced game.

It uses the Miss Universe playfield (18 holes).

Instead of the mystery spot, the 'Magic Spot' takes its place. The player can select one number to spot from the list of 6.

The other select-a-spot feature was removed, and replaced with a time tree.

This brings us to the biggest change between Miss Universe and Continental. They bought back 5 balls!!! In the process, they removed two spotted numbers, but with the extra chances, you should still be able to hit those six-in-a-line wins.

ONE LEFT.

#827 6 years ago

One Left - Holy Smokes !

#828 6 years ago

Pssst. Hey, you. Wanna see 138 bingos?

Galaxy is complete.

This game is notable for several reasons:

1) It's the last game I coded
2) It has a space theme - the only space-themed bingo produced.
3) It brings back the ball return feature in a neat way - one half of the card drops at a time. The previous implementation (Tahiti) would drop the left two columns or the right two columns. This does three columns at once.
4) Diagonal scoring is a buy-in feature
5) There are an odd number of odds steps (the only game with triple/quadruple deck scoring with an odd number of odds steps - 11)
6) The internals are the 40 coin max internals, with the 40 coin max removed... ?
7) There is a new moving number feature (only used on this game) that allows for movement like the Magic Lines. Every two columns of the 6x4 card can move up or down one position.
8) It's the only 24 hole playfield game.

And that's all! The last true bingo! I'm very excited that the most difficult parts of this game are complete.

I have lots of polishing to do, but right now, being able to play 138 different games from four different manufacturers is pretty incredible.

Thank you all for following along! There are several people I would like to thank for their assistance thus far - truly over and above.

Dennis Dodel - DennisDodel - thank you for providing most of the hardware for this game. I wouldn't have a cabinet or my initial set of playfields without you. Thank you very much for all your patient help and kind words of encouragement. Thank you also to Jon - it was so great to be able to meet you both. Working from paper was incredibly helpful. There are so many ways you contributed to this project, and continue to do so. Thank you.

Phil H - baldtwit - Thank you for providing such a valuable resource to the community - being able to quickly pull information on any of these games was absolutely a requirement. You were also extremely patient when I asked a bunch of silly questions about portioning and listening to my enthusiasm about the game.

Phil B - okorange - Thank you for coming across the country just to check it out! I was really humbled that you would go to such trouble to come check it out in such an unfinished state. Your input on portioning was invaluable and absolutely helped my implementation.

Steve S - Pinball-Muggle - Thank you for all your woodworking help and being the first person to try out the game! Your feedback was also greatly appreciated.

Ryan Claytor - RyanClaytor - Thank you for your input and help with getting lit elements working, your tireless support in the face of my exhausted pessimism, and the amazing image for the background of the game. Commissioning your art is always a wise decision. Not to mention flying down to help load a bunch of bingos for the public debut last year at York!

Jeffrey Lawton - Thank you for providing tech help and helping me find some impossible-to-find parts for various playfields. I very much appreciate your time!

Chris D - your kindness to this crazy American is greatly appreciated. I was really thrilled to be able to chat with you.

Jim Willing - Thank you also for your support and your help with London!

Mike and BingoButch - Thank you for coming out to check it out, your enthusiasm for the project and your help with the game. It's been great to get to know you over the past year. Can't wait to see you both at York this year!

Local folks - including zimjoe and boo32 for coming out to help test, listening to me blab on and on about the games, and being excited as the project progressed. Getting that local feedback is always very helpful when you're doing something big and crazy. @zimjoe, that big thing we talked about is coming closer to fruition - hope you're ready!

Remote folks - NoQuarters and cait001 for your support and kind words. I hope you get to play it one day.

agodfrey for stopping by and trying it out just to show your support and talk about the games.

Vic_Camp thank you for your kindness, support and for coming out to York to see and play Mississippi Showboat last year. jrpinball and the other flipper folks - thank you so much for talking with me about the game and my plans. I'm so pleased to show you the progress at York this year!

My wife and family - for their patient understanding of my working for hours after bedtime to get this done. My kids for being excited as I got each game done (we talked about the number remaining every morning and the features of the games completed the night before). My wife for not throwing me out.

Everyone who's participated in this thread, and everyone that has come up to me to discuss the project or otherwise given me a virtual or personal thumbs up - hopefully, if you've never seen or played a bingo - you're now at least interested in giving one a shot. Thank you.

I have lots of ideas and future plans for the game, but starting tomorrow, the polish phase will begin. I'll be keeping the thread updated with photos, updating my public repository with code, streaming testing and gameplay on my Youtube channel, and working on another new game (Robo-Frenzy)!

#829 6 years ago

BINGO

#830 6 years ago

HUZZAH!!!!!

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from okorange:

No way. The bingos were about a joust between the players and the operators.

By the way, I took your (and a couple others') advice and left 'em off for now. No positive votes received, so they will be added on a rainy day.

I'm absolutely certain I've forgotten to thank some folks and two just occurred to me:

Robert Medl - robertmedl - thank you for your support from the very beginning and multiple in-depth conversations about various games, supplying several backglass photos, and for your help in finding that Pockets unit!

Sal M - Thanks for coming out to see it last year - I suspect your bingo playing skill will improve shortly!

Anyone else that I've forgotten - it certainly wasn't intentional. I blame not sleeping for a year and a half.

#832 6 years ago

Glad to help out Nick. Hard to believe you accomplished what you did in such a short time.
Ever since Phil Hooper mentioned to me a few years ago his thoughts about building one of these, I have been fascinated by the thought of someone actually doing it.
Congratulations! I think Don Hooker would be proud.

#833 6 years ago

So, I've had a couple of questions - what's next for this game? The initial phase of polish is going to come from updating the menu images and preventing starting a game with the wrong playfield inserted.

Somewhere in between getting that figured out and now, I'll be pushing the updated code to the public repo. I'll make a post when I do. I'm considering waiting until I have my little menu tweak made so that you can run it immediately without incident. Right now, if you select a game with the wrong playfield inserted, the game will crash back to the menu. Exciting, but not in the right way.

The next phase of polish will come with sweetening the sounds. I sampled sounds from various eras of machine - motor noises, trip relays, clicks and clacks of the search, and the inimitable Magic Screen clunks. I'll be swapping out my generic six card noises for the appropriate ones per game. I think I've got a good idea on how to do this - passing the game type to the common methods will pull in the appropriate sounds. Code will only be very lightly modified to make the correct thunks at the correct times.

A much larger bit of polish will be to go through each game and add the 'coin flash' graphics. Right now I have a couple of lamps that blink on and off when you insert a coin based on what button is selected (odds only, features only or odds and features - special game - extra ball, etc). It's enough to help you know you've done something (even if you don't get an award), but it's not correct. I have to rewrite how my graphics are handled to a more efficient system - there are enough blinky lights that the 2D methods are just not fast enough. This means that I have to map separate sets of wipers on the spotting disc for each game. Not a huge deal, but it will be time consuming. The hardest part will be rewriting the graphics routines - I've gotta learn new stuff to do that. As such, it'll probably wait for some time. I definitely want 455 emulation back - the little blinky bulbs are part of the charm and attractiveness of the older games, but I was missing switch hits when running the blinkers. That cannot happen.

It's pretty neat to page through the entire evolution of bingo pinball in one menu! I've decided (for technical reasons, mostly) not to restrict the images of the games that require different playfields. Instead, if you try to select them, the game will tell you 'no'.

#834 6 years ago

Ha! Perfect.

Thank you! Happy to offer assistance when you're ready to start on your build!

Quoted from DennisDodel:

Congratulations! I think Don Hooker would be proud.

As long as he wouldn't be horrified... Thank you. I don't think I've said this weird thing in the thread, but I feel like I've gotten to know how both Don Hooker and Lyn Durant thought. Not entirely, of course, but their mindset in tackling an engineering problem. I think it would have made for some great interview questions - it's a shame that they are gone. But the wonderful thing is that their games live on!

#835 6 years ago

As long as he wouldn't be horrified... Thank you. I don't think I've said this weird thing in the thread, but I feel like I've gotten to know how both Don Hooker and Lyn Durant thought. Not entirely, of course, but their mindset in tackling an engineering problem. I think it would have made for some great interview questions - it's a shame that they are gone. But the wonderful thing is that their games live on!

Now you have to continue where they left off.....What features would have come next?

#836 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Now you have to continue where they left off.....What features would have come next?

I'm way ahead there! I started a thread a while ago asking for ideas for features on a new game written in the old style.

I have lots of ideas - and my first will be a return to a style of game that hasn't been produced in the USA since 1976.

#837 6 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I'm way ahead there! I started a thread a while ago asking for ideas for features on a new game written in the old style.
I have lots of ideas - and my first will be a return to a style of game that hasn't been produced in the USA since 1976.

Magic Lines perhaps?

#838 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Magic Lines perhaps?

Nope! Another hint - my favorite type of game. I mentioned it in the fifth post of this thread.

#839 6 years ago

Ah..Magic Squares.

Not sure if we talked about this one, but you could also add the Golden Gates custom game.

http://www.ballybingo.co.uk/Golden%20Gates.html

* I could have sworn that he had a photo of the backglass here the last time I looked.

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Not sure if we talked about this one, but you could also add the Golden Gates custom game.

I had considered it - Chris H is another genius! Adding futurity to the Golden Game is a neat idea. I can probably do that pretty easily... but yes, the backglass image missing was a bit of a problem. I think the only BG image I found was on Youtube.

Quoted from DennisDodel:

Ah..Magic Squares.

Yes! One addition - adding the Red Letter game to the Squares. That's all on that subject for now! That's way in the future (meaning, the way I work - 30 seconds). Lots of other stuff to do...

#841 6 years ago

Spent last night editing my menu images as I described. I have 16 left to edit, then on to menu code, then pushing out the public version of the code. One day, I'll sleep again.

#842 6 years ago

Pssst. Hey, you. Wanna see 138 bingos?

Yes i do!
Your accomplishments on the Multi-Bingo are astonishing. Congratulations and thank you for all the hard work, sacrifice, dedication, passion you pushed yourself to do in creating a bingo pinball machine that you can play every bingo game ever manufacture. Can't wait to see/play your master piece.

#843 6 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Can't wait to see/play your master piece.

Thank you, Vic. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say this year!

#844 6 years ago

The support I've received for this project has been really amazing. The custom pinball folks and Multimorphic (makers of the boardset I'm using) also deserve thanks - @rosh, @mocean, gstellenberg and many others have truly been an asset to the project. Those named have truly helped this project along by offering fantastic advice, help with code or in @gstellenberg's case, simply providing stellar customer support.

I have said it before, but I truly cannot say enough nice things about Gerry's products. Please do yourself a favor if you plan on working on custom pinball and review his offerings. I did not have to worry one bit about the boardset once it was installed. It just sits and does its thing. No funky lamp, switch or coil diodes to worry about - the boards take care of all of that. And that's just the beginning.

As a treat, here's what I've been working on:

This is the menu, including every game in chronological order. As I page through (I'm going so fast my camera can't keep up), for certain games I hit the 'turn on' key. I've added a bit of detection for the playfield installed and prevent the game from starting until the right playfield and jones plug selector are plugged in.

Next up will be the sync with the public repo!

#845 6 years ago

The next public release has been pushed. The latest release contains all 138 games. More code/polish changes coming. I have some early game portioning to rewrite and some cleanup to make in most of the games. While they function properly, some of the games have some gross stream-of-consciousness mapping of rivets and such that can be made to look nicer. Will not change the behavior at all. I also plan to rewrite some of the graphics in GL to allow for blinky lights and such.

If you're interested, check it out at https://github.com/bingopodcast/bingos

#846 6 years ago

It feels like I've been on a vacation for a year!

Hopefully some more good stuff coming after this weekend.

#847 6 years ago

It feels like I've been on a vacation for a year!
Hopefully some more good stuff coming after this weekend.

Ha Ha - 5 whole days - wow. Previous break record 5 hours.

#848 6 years ago

Ryan Claytor - [yadda, yadda, yadda]

Man, you know I'm happy to be a very small part of this monumentally ambitious and inspiring project. I can't believe you've been able to accomplish everything you have in such a short amount of time. Seems like you should have had a design TEAM in order to finish what you've done. Fantastic work, Nick.

I'll be keeping the thread updated with photos...

reassuring.gifreassuring.gif

#849 6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words.

Well... You shouldn't find it reassuring... Haha.

Today a lunchtime I worked on adding the score and instruction cards needed. A dozen or so games got done.

This evening, I started work on the button drawer, which, if you'll recall, was only half finished! I needed to install the button bar hardware (collars, springs, plates, clips, washers). I got a little bit into it. Lots more to do.

#850 6 years ago

I found a task I enjoy less than doing backglass art! Score and instruction card art! I'm working on each game's S/I cards and making sure that everything is spelled out for games that don't have it. Where possible, I'm trying to get a good copy of the score and instruction cards for each game. So far, only Brazil is missing, but I'm only in the C's.

There are 1,298 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multi-bingo-machine/page/17?hl=okorange and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.