29 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1387 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1386 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1385 (resized).JPG
    Fitting_8 lockdown (resized).JPG
    Fitting_7 (resized).JPG
    Fitting_10 leg3 (resized).JPG
    Fitting_10 leg1 (resized).JPG
    Fitting_10 leg2 (resized).JPG

#1 29 days ago

Fitting_10 leg2 (resized).JPGFitting_10 leg1 (resized).JPGFitting_10 leg3 (resized).JPG
    #2 29 days ago

Fitting_7 (resized).JPG
    #3 29 days ago

Fitting_8 lockdown (resized).JPG
    #4 29 days ago

This is an idea for those with less physical space for pinball machines. Instead of buying a virtual machine. This would allow you to swap out different early Bally and Stern SS populated play fields. It would not be limited by wide body verses regular body fields. This is in the very early stages of taking an idea and mocking up many different ways to build the machine.

To Do List-

1. move all boards from head to body.
    A. cool the boards.
    B. protect boards from the playfield debris.
    2. Make lockdown bar, glass and rails raise as one.
    3. Easy brace system for supporting different size playfields.
    A. remove coin slots for more support room.
    4. Virtual backglass for each game.
    A. create new mounts for scoring.
    5. easy release wiring swap out system.
    6. Everything Else.

#5 29 days ago

So you are supposed to be able to take a playfield out of your game and put it into this contraption?! How will it work without damaging the unique harness of each game?

#6 28 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So you are supposed to be able to take a playfield out of your game and put it into this contraption?! How will it work without damaging the unique harness of each game?

All of the early Bally and Stern S/S games have the same harness connections with the same key locations. The only real differences are the addition of aux lighting boards and different sound cards.

Shawn

2 weeks later
    #7 8 days ago

So early testing continues as time allows to find new and interesting problems. Using my Space Invaders as a test bed, I attempted to drop in a Future Spa play field in serious need of overhaul. (Or a hard top. Could go either way.) Problem number one, it will not go all the way in. Why??
    IMG_1385 (resized).JPG

Like a lot of the "newer" games, Bally started pushing mechs to the outer edge. In this case, the kickback for the extreme left lane is resting on the play field support rail. This is one challenge I had already anticipated. The support rails in the final build will be EBD style with the support and tip up area at the back and two short rail stubs at the front. That way nothing will interfere with the play field setting down to the lockbar tabs.
    IMG_1386 (resized).JPG

Speaking of lock bar tabs, there's the next big hurdle. My initial thought was to grind new slots into the lock down bar where the single wide play field tabs would go. But I hate to mess with design and all and besides, if these play fields are only for this game, modifying them would be simpler. I propose moving the tabs to align with the existing holes in the widebody lock down bar as pictured above in the original post. One ends up just to the side of center with the other off to the left. There is nothing under the P/F to be interfered with so that is not an issue.
    IMG_1387 (resized).JPG

The last thing I noticed was something I already have the fix for. Space invaders had the rectifier/transformer in the body and Future Spa had it in the head. This made it impossible to plug in the Future Spa without modifying the harness. Basically one would have to separate the rectifier plug from the others. By putting all the boards in the lower body this problem becomes null and void. I also intend to have a -54 rectifier which means I will have to change the plug for the P/F power.

Final note for today... I anticipated having plenty of room in the widebody for the boards and rectifier but then it occurs that it will be in the way of whatever I come up with to support a single wide game. I'll need to make the boards all fit in the space of a single wide game.

Shawn

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 16.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 179.99
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside