• Latest reply 6 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180106_103236 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Seeking help with a couple of problems. I've had my game for a few weeks now and I'm down to a few problems to resolve......
I have checked all fuses and replaced any that were blown and any that weren't the correct amperage.

1. Car Crush... The flipper in the lower playfield is inop. Fuse is good. All other flippers work except this one. Where do I start outside of the fuse being blown to resolve this issue?

2. Center Spot Target. This is the Extra Ball Target. None of the 3 targets clustered together work. Not sure how to test this to track down the problem.

3. Test switch. I'm unable to get the game to go into the test mode. When I press the test switch nothing happens. I'm able to change the basic game functions such as Free Mode and such. Again, the game plays great with the exception of these 3 issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robb

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

Seeking help with a couple of problems. I've had my game for a few weeks now and I'm down to a few problems to resolve......
I have checked all fuses and replaced any that were blown and any that weren't the correct amperage.
1. Car Crush... The flipper in the lower playfield is inop. Fuse is good. All other flippers work except this one. Where do I start outside of the fuse being blown to resolve this issue?
2. Center Spot Target. This is the Extra Ball Target. None of the 3 targets clustered together work. Not sure how to test this to track down the problem.
3. Test switch. I'm unable to get the game to go into the test mode. When I press the test switch nothing happens. I'm able to change the basic game functions such as Free Mode and such. Again, the game plays great with the exception of these 3 issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robb

1) Check the coil to see if the wires are still attached. (If not solder it back into place)

2) Run a switch test to determine if they are not registering. Maybe you need to clean the switch's contacts?

3) Not sure about this issue....does the button not work? (it's inside the cabinet next to the volume control)

#3 6 years ago

Here is a thread where I helped someone get their car flipper working. You can see if any of the info in there helps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-ii-car-flipper

#4 6 years ago

I just got done restoring a street fighter and it was a mess. anyhow if you have switch problems you need to start with the ground upgrade for gottliebs. that will eliminate most of the switch issues you may be having.

#5 6 years ago

Most of the SFII switches are not made to be adjusted, they are some kind of piezoelectric devices, you can clean them and check for cold solders on the switches connector...

In my pin I only found 2 broken switches, you may try to replace one of the nonworking targets with a working one to find out

About entering "TEST MODE", if you can modify the game settings we know your test button is working.

You must go to SELFTEST and wait for the RAM/ROM (cant remember) test to finish, then you can enter into the diagnostics.

#6 6 years ago

Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

I'm at work so I will try some of these suggestions when I get home tonight. 1 thing related to the "Test Mode", when I press that button, it doesn't do anything on the DMD. When the game is on and I open the coin door to access the Test Button, the DMD automatically shows the options to change a few things without pushing the Test Button. There are only a few options. I don't remember all for sure, but the 1st one is to change to Free Play, 2nd is multiball, I think and I can't remember what the 3rd option was. I can verify when I get home tonight. But I know for certain that I'm not able to enter into any sort of diagnostics. The volume control dial works, the slider to toggle between tournament and normal play works. Is it possible for those to work but not the function of the "Test Button"?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciate it.
I'm at work so I will try some of these suggestions when I get home tonight. 1 thing related to the "Test Mode", when I press that button, it doesn't do anything on the DMD. When the game is on and I open the coin door to access the Test Button, the DMD automatically shows the options to change a few things without pushing the Test Button. There are only a few options. I don't remember all for sure, but the 1st one is to change to Free Play, 2nd is multiball, I think and I can't remember what the 3rd option was. I can verify when I get home tonight. But I know for certain that I'm not able to enter into any sort of diagnostics. The volume control dial works, the slider to toggle between tournament and normal play works. Is it possible for those to work but not the function of the "Test Button"?

If the options are coming up as soon as you open the coin door, it means your tournament switch is on. Turn it off, and cycle the power on the game. It should now come up into attract mode with the coin door open. Now hit the test button. You should see a short message on the dmd indicating the left flipper is to change options, and the right flipper selects options. Hit the right flipper, and you should see a new menu. Use the left flipper to move down to the test option, and hit the right flipper to select it. (im 90% certain it's the 'test' menu, but it may be called 'utilities', im going from memory here..)

The first test it will go into is the memory test. Wait until the screen says done, and then hit the test switch in the door again to go to the next test. I believe the test order is: Memory --> all lights --> single light --> Switches --> Coils --> Sound --> coin switches. To move from test to test, you have to hit the test switch inside the door. When you get to the switch test, it will begin to list all the switches that the computer senses are closed. Press the problem switch and hold it, and watch for the number on the display. They scroll by fast, so use your manual (hopefully you have one, if you don't get one from pinball resources) to know what switch number you should be looking for.

To get the game out of test mode, you have to either activate the slam tilt switch on the door, or cycle the machine power.

#8 6 years ago

Excellent! Thanks uncivil_engineer. I will try this and report back my findings. Hopefully this will get me going.

#9 6 years ago

Ok, I'm home and I switched the game to Normal from Tournament mode and shutdown the machine and then turned it back on. Waited for it to cycle to the attack mode and pressed the Test Button. Still not going into the test mode. Where do I go from here?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

Ok, I'm home and I switched the game to Normal from Tournament mode and shutdown the machine and then turned it back on. Waited for it to cycle to the attack mode and pressed the Test Button. Still not going into the test mode. Where do I go from here?

I’ve seen the test buttons fail before. Take a look at the back of the board, and try to jumper it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

But do you still see the options directly?

If the game still goes to the tournament options the switch may be dirty or broken (and not switching between normal/tournament), you can spray contact cleaner into de switch and move it back and forward many times ...

Or you can unbolt the board and check the switch with a multimeter to see if its working properly, also check for cold solder points, bad connectors at the board.....

#12 6 years ago

I don't see the options when the game is out of the Tournament Mode. The switch functions properly when toggled between on and off for Tournament. I pulled the MA1851 board (Control Switch Board A26). I tested for continuity at each of the solder points and all tested good. Does anyone know what the voltage should be at each pin on the control switch? Also, I noticed that on the Control switch where you plug in the wire harness, that it has 8 connections. The wire harness that comes in from the machine is missing 1 wire. So there are only 7 wires going into the harness, not 8. Does anyone know if one should be blank?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

I don't see the options when the game is out of the Tournament Mode. The switch functions properly when toggled between on and off for Tournament. I pulled the MA1851 board (Control Switch Board A26). I tested for continuity at each of the solder points and all tested good. Does anyone know what the voltage should be at each pin on the control switch? Also, I noticed that on the Control switch where you plug in the wire harness, that it has 8 connections. The wire harness that comes in from the machine is missing 1 wire. So there are only 7 wires going into the harness, not 8. Does anyone know if one should be blank?

One pin should be empty, it looks like pin 8.

20180106_103236 (resized).jpg20180106_103236 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Good deal. That's the pin that's empty on mine as well. Thank you for the post. I'm still trying to trace down the problem. That eliminates one of them.

#15 6 years ago

Ok, so I was finally able to get into the test mode. My switch is tricky as I have to wiggle it around to make contact. Didn't come up with many issues with the test, Center Target, which I figured the switch was bad as I had moved some around to be sure. Also it appears the Flipper Relay (S) isn't functioning. Is this the relay that controls the flipper in the car crush?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

Ok, so I was finally able to get into the test mode. My switch is tricky as I have to wiggle it around to make contact. Didn't come up with many issues with the test, Center Target, which I figured the switch was bad as I had moved some around to be sure. Also it appears the Flipper Relay (S) isn't functioning. Is this the relay that controls the flipper in the car crush?

I have the same broken switch, I suppose the ball hits it too hard as its on the middle, and its for the extra ball

Yes the Relay S is for the car playfield, check the fuses for that playfield flippers.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

I have the same broken switch, I suppose the ball hits it too hard as its on the middle, and its for the extra ball
Yes the Relay S is for the car playfield, check the fuses for that playfield flippers.

I had two switches broken next to the extra ball switch. One on each side wasn't registering and the extra ball would work 50% of the time.

Ended up replacing all three switches and it worked perfectly after that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mulitple-issues-on-street-fighter-2?hl=waffen_spain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.