• Ali Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ALI3 (resized).jpg
ALI1 (resized).jpg
ALI2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help here, but i'm a huge Ali fan and i made the crazy decision to buy an Ali Pinball machine, which i have no regrets, its great fun, but i am having issues with the scoring screens not working, as per the pics attached, can anyone advise what i could check, i have dismantled a few its, tested the fuses near the coin slot and they seem to have power so i'm a little lost. I was going to call someone in to repair it but we're on quite a big lock down in the UK and wondered if anyone here could give me some guidance/help as to what i could try next.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
ALI1 (resized).jpgALI1 (resized).jpgALI2 (resized).jpgALI2 (resized).jpgALI3 (resized).jpgALI3 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ak1107:

Hi
Not sure if anyone can help here, but i'm a huge Ali fan and i made the crazy decision to buy an Ali Pinball machine, which i have no regrets, its great fun, but i am having issues with the scoring screens not working, as per the pics attached, can anyone advise what i could check, i have dismantled a few its, tested the fuses near the coin slot and they seem to have power so i'm a little lost. I was going to call someone in to repair it but we're on quite a big lock down in the UK and wondered if anyone here could give me some guidance/help as to what i could try next.
Thanks in advance.
Aaron
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was it working when you bought it?

#4 4 years ago

That board does looks like it needs a little attention. the thing that I see resistor R2 looks like it blew out but according to this: http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/bly_volts.php it doesn't affect the displays

Do you have a multimeter?
you could check the diodes CR1, CR2, CR3 & CR4

could you verify the value of fuse "f2" it should be 3/4A slo-blo

For the displays there is also a fuse on the SDL (Solonoid driver board)

#5 4 years ago

start from scratch. redo the power supply connectors, resolder the power supply pins, replace all fuses in power supply, rebuild and upgrade the: driver pcb, sound pcb, mpu. reflow all displays.
Then, plug the game in and try to boot it up, if there are issues, get out a meter and test voltages at power supply itself and all boards.

#6 4 years ago

wow, you lot are great, that was quick, i will have a read up and have a go at testing a few items and come back with the results, well when i purchased it the seller said it was working, then when it arrived this part wasn't, it game from Germany and i am uk based so to return it would be a nightmare but was a little disappointed that it wasnt working. Fingers crossed i can find the solution without spending too much, again, thanks a lot for all the advice so far, really do appreciate it, hope you all stay safe and will come back in a couple of days

#7 4 years ago

There is a severe amount of corrosion on that 9 pin connector with the 4 wires going into it. I would gently remove those 3 connectors to inspect and you may need some pin and terminal repairs. Sometimes just removing and reinstalling the connectors will wipe the contacts enough to get it working again, but only temporary.

#8 4 years ago

One quick thing I've read while you're working on things, is I've been told to never disconnect or reconnect the displays with the power on. Apparently that will blow the display.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/muhammad-ali-stern-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.