3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 169 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by janus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
pasted_image_(resized).png
ali_(resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2016-06-08_at_4.41.51_PM_(resized).png
larry_(resized).jpg
pasted_imageRocky_(resized).png
ali04_(resized).jpg
71wYdMW8NoL_(resized).jpg
ali_(resized).png
1996_Olympics_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
DGF_(resized).jpg
ali_9_(resized).jpg
ali_6_(resized).jpg
ali_7_(resized).jpg
ali_8_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

Sorry I can't feel the same way .The man refused to go into the draft . Believe in it or not why is he more important than all the soldiers who went into the draft , fought , and what does it say to the men women and family's who lost loved ones. What if everybody refused to do that. The draft sucked I'm not disputing that but he was a great boxer not a great man

Jesus Christ dude the 60s are over.

That was a horrible, unjustified war and Ali was one of MANY people of all races and creeds who decided he wasn't going to take part in it. His sacrifice for his belief was almost unimaginable - the prime of his career, millions of dollars, and potentially his freedom.

History has proven him right, and the haters have faded away.

Great man and inspiration to millions - including veterans and returning soldiers - and a true American patriot and hero. He's what this country is supposed to be all about.

Also the greatest heavyweight in the history of boxing, even with his prime being wrongly stolen from him (it's completely outrageous that he was stripped of his right to fight without any due process - as Howard Cosell said, it's a crime that it happened in our country).

Watching his fights from the 1960s, you'll be amazed by his speed and reflexes. His fights from the 1970s will astound you with his smarts, guts, and durability.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

NO,CrazyLevi,i didn't want to kill anybody either,so,when i was drafted for Vietnam,i joined the Air Force! His was designed to bring him to the public eye at that time!There are ways,and then there are ways! He didn't serve his country,claiming that his adopted Muslim status exempted him! The Supreme court at that time was very aware of the trouble that might arrise from troublemakers like MLK, and the BP party in particular ! Elvis went!!

Ali followed his conscience. He was in no personal danger - like Elvis or joe louis, he wouldn't have fired a shot or been in harms way if he had joined the armed forces.

He was firmly opposed to the war. As a true American hero and patriot, he refused to take part in a war effort that he was fundamentally opposed to and that his religious conviction wouldn't allow him to. He sacrificed greatly for this conviction and inspired untold others who felt the same way.

You made the choice that was right for you and so did he. You both deserve credit and not derision for making a difficult choice in outrageously insane times. When you die I'm sure nobody is going to say "well, hawkmoon was a great pinball player, but not a great man. How could he participate in that horrible war?!"

Today isn't the day for this bullshit. These battles were fought literally and figuratively many, many years ago. The funny thing is, if you spent even 5 minutes in his presence, I'm sure Ali would have charmed the pants off of you.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

The truth hurt's, too bad, not everybody thinks the same as a few of you.

Yeah good point. Clearly only a few people think Ali was great.

A few hundred million people based on what I'm seeing today.

The truth hurts for ignorant morons stuck in 1967.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Yeah Levi the country is so much better now because of people like you. Pull your head out your ass.

People who know how to use apostrophes correctly? People who aren't repeating the same idiotic things their dad said in 1967? People who don't understand that Ali haters are in the vast minority in 2016?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

You will never understand.

And neither will you.

Another trip through 4th grade and you might get the hang of the apostrophe thing though.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

You have been inhaling to many gas fumes & smog, you need some fresh air to clear your mind.

How is it possible in this day and age that an adult male writes worse than my eight-year old nephew?

Aren't you embarrassed by your lack of understanding of written English, and the fact that you don't know the difference between "to" and "too" and that apostrophes aren't used when pluralizing something? Do you think maybe this obvious failure of our educational system is what's wrong with this country, and not the fact that millions of people love Muhammad Ali?

#51 3 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

Because he is a racist , just like centerflank , who is down voting everyone with positive remarks for Muhammed ali and up voting all negative remarks
Im starting to realized just how many a holes are on this website and opinionated people with very negative intentions and thought process. how someone can sit here and say bad things about a man, father, husband, etc that died last night is disturbing and makes me sick to my stomach .

I don't understand it either. I wasn't a fan of Ronald Reagan but when he died I kept my mouth shut and let people reminisce and reflect without dancing on his grave. Some people just can't help themselves. It's sad and small-minded, not bold and "unpolitically correct." People think behaving this way makes them seem edgy and smart, and it only makes them look petty and ignorant.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Explain to me how he was so great. He was a great fighter. He fought to make money. Besides that, what did he do that was so great. I don't know much about him except for what I saw in the Will Smith movie but in the movies he hated white people and kept company with some of the most racist blacks and Muslims there were at the time.

One trait of a great man is the ability to change and grow. He certainly didn't hate white people
And the older he got the more he loved everyone. You of all people should know better than to judge someone soley by what they said or did when they were 23 years old. What would 48-year old upstanding citizen brokenvette say to 23-year old drunk-ass, stoned brokenvette?

But for sure, it's totally subjective what makes someone great. I think in Ali's case it's that he gave a voice to millions and millions of people, and inspired millions and millions of people. Someone who truely changed the world and was a hero - in the social sense, not just sporting - to millions of people around the globe. Totally up to you to decide what makes someone great of course.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I wish i could thumb you up more than once , because you Sir speak the truth. Levi is an English teacher and that is all he knows.

I bet you wish you could thumb him up repeatedly. Not surprised. Pretty hot though.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I find it humorous that "religious conviction" translates to couldn't be drafted but he could beat men senseless for a living.
Regardless, an icon, truly great boxer and entertainer has passed. I like how he used his celebrity to focus people on issues of the time. If he changed one persons mind to become a better human being because of something he said or did, I applaud him.
hawkmoon - Thank you for serving. That had to be difficult.

"His religion forbids him from fighting" is a funny thing to say about a boxer. I think you realize there is a lot more to it than that though.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

JEFFPINS12 maybe you should donate to Pinside before running off your cocksucker.

Lol

Yeah that'll get the mods on your side! Well played.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Not understanding why there is a public pissing match on this site and this thread. Disrespecting everyone who reads this. P.M. each other with your petty pissings.
RIP Muhammed Ali.

You really don't understand it?

You saw a pissing match you didn't like so you commented on it. I saw a bunch of bullshit I didn't like so I commented on it.

It's not rocket science bro.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

A big thank you to your father and to any soldier. If I didn't get my point across earlier, I do have great respect for the people who serve. Most do it because it is what they believe in. They love their country and serve it. I will always tell them thank you shake their hand. I wish our government respected them as much.

You got your point across. And you are right many choose to serve because they believe in it. Ali spoke for those who had no choice, and didn't have the resources (middle-class sympathetic doctors, college, rich parents) to stay out of the war. That's part of what made him a 60s icon. I'm glad I didn't have to make a choice like that when I was young. I have a feeling I would have spent the 1970s eating a lot of poutine.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

And so it begins:
ebay.com link ยป Muhammad Ali Pinball Machine By Stern 1974 Works Great In Good Condition
Seller is asking $4k and wrong head color , wrong DOM and who knows if it really is in working order.
I should put my restored one out there and see what it could bring...

This nonsense happens for a month after someone dies - like Evel K, or a movie comes out , like t3. In reality this doesn't affect prices at all and the hype will die down quickly. We live in a very fast paced news cycle world these days.

The idea that someone will suddenly want a Ali pinball machine today - when they could have bought one any time in the last 35 years - just because he died Is pretty specious. Not gonna happen.

#109 3 years ago

Yes we are all here to talk about pinball but let's face it, Ali was a towering figure who affected ALL of us - even the haters have to acknowledge that. From the passion on display it's pretty clear.

There are very few people left who can arouse this kind of fire and there are fewer every day. I mean really...who is gonna care when Bill Clinton or George W kicks the bucket?

#117 3 years ago

Gotta love this one LOL...

To think Ali still had one more fight later this year. Such a shame he really should have quit after Manilla or at the very least after his 1978 Spinks fight...

#132 3 years ago

This thread's too pretty for the basement!!!!

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll never forget him. He was nice even to an asshole like me. He had an amazing sense of humor. You can't make this stuff up.
Someday I'll tell you about the time George Peppard stopped in.

That's an interesting story you told and really par for the way he interacted with the public.

Here's 12 minutes of B-Roll of him just walking around Miami in 1980 (I'm guessing this is a bit before the Holmes fight). It's kind of fascinating to watch...everybody...old cubans, kids, middle-aged people, elderly jewish and Italian women - every race and demographic you can think of...just flocking to him, and he gives every single one of them their own special moment. This isn't what made him important - that's all the social and sporting stuff of the 60s and early 70s - but it's still a sight to behold the magic that he cast over everybody even when the sun was setting on his career and his health. There's literally hundreds of people who were on that street that day who had a memory and a story of a lifetime. Multiply that by thousands of days Ali made that impression on people.

Like I said, all of the haters in this thread...even hardcores like Pinbaum...I bet if they spent 5 minutes in his presence he would have absolutely charmed their pants off.

#139 3 years ago

It's worth noting that this fight took place under a "red sun," rendering Superman in a super-power deficit.

#142 3 years ago

larry_(resized).jpg

Rocky was a good fighter but when he came along the heavyweight division was pretty bad, almost like Tyson in the 80s. I don't think there's anybody - besides a "computer that must have been built in Alabama" - who seriously thinks Rocky would have had a chance against Ali.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It's impossible to rate athletes of different eras against each other. Equipment and training is totally different as is the ability to scout opponents bringing in a totally different skill set from earlier times.
Does anyone think Babe Ruth would be a knock out baseball player in today's MLB? Not a chance...but that doesn't take a single thing away from how he dominated his own era in baseball.

I don't think that's true at all, especially in boxing. I can look at Ali, and I can look at Mike Tyson, and I can think about what those guys would be like in the ring together. I think Babe Ruth would kick ass in today's MLB - don't forget he'd have the same access to the same training/health/doctors/drugs as all of today's athletes. Tom Seaver and Sandy K would still be at the top of any rotation.

We can rate them against each other all we want - what we can't do is ever actually see them compete against each other because that's impossible. Ali would wipe the floor with any current heavyweight (which isn't saying much, the division is a mess). He was incredibly fast for a heavyweight with incomparable reflexes. His later years showed he also could take a punch. Any era, any fighter, Ali could have beaten any of them. A fight against Rocky Marciano actually would have been quite interesting, because we know Ali had trouble with unscientific stocky bruisers like Joe Frazier. But in his prime I really don't think Rocky would have had a chance. Ali was just too fast and too smart.

It's nice that Rocky was white and served in the army (thanks for that awesome history lesson Ogeist, you really know the fight game!) but he just didn't have the tools to compete with someone like Ali. The smartest thing he ever did was retire undefeated before he had to face guys like Sonny Liston and Floyd Patterson, that's just something nobody ever does. The only other heavyweight champs to retire and never come back were Lennox Lewis and Gene Tunney, and neither were undefeated in their careers.

#150 3 years ago

NYC Loves Muhammad Ali! View from my office all week:

ali_(resized).jpg

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Do you work on 7th Ave above Harrington's Bar and Grill?

Yes

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I wouldn't expect less out of a liberal welfare city.

I can't think of a SINGLE city that isn't overwhelmingly pro-Ali this week.

Just some bitter individuals scattered around the country, pointlessly fighting long-ago battles.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It never fails.
The less people understand about the world, the more they boast about their ignorance, lol.

Yup. This thread went a long way toward proving that.

I'm in Amsterdam this week. At one point I was lucid enough to operate my camera and I spotted this in a window...

Ali! Loved worldwide!

image_(resized).jpg

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Rope a dope is the worst move in boxing. Back in the day, they would have disqualified Ali. I believe there was a rule once you had to throw a certain number of punches per round. Its was almost as bad as watching john ruiz fight. (Punch punch hold, punch punch hold.)

1. There was never a rule like that. That's ridiculous, and pretty surprising to hear something like that from someone who seems to know something about boxing. There's better ways to make an argument than just making shit up.

2. They would have disqualified him back in the day?! Are you kidding? They didn't disqualify you for standing over a guy and beating him senseless as soon as he got up. They let you fight 40 rounds. There were virtually no rules. If a guy wanted to lay on the ropes and let himself get hit they'd have no problem with it back in 1920. And they would have gotten knocked out because they weren't as fast or as smart as Ali.

3. Yeah it wore out it's welcome as the 70s dragged on but the rope a dope was simply ingenious in the foreman fight and it allowed Ali to - once again- silence the haters with a miracle win. Pretty astounding stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9,099.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 209.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside