71wYdMW8NoL_(resized).jpg
ali_(resized).png
1996_Olympics_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
DGF_(resized).jpg
ali_9_(resized).jpg
ali_6_(resized).jpg
ali_7_(resized).jpg
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 7 years ago

RIP to a legend.

#2 7 years ago

My Hero....Sad Day.

#3 7 years ago

Oh man that sucks!! One of the best entertainers of all time!

#4 7 years ago

Very sad. Rest in Peace.

#5 7 years ago

Sad news indeed.
I had the pleasure to have a totally random meeting with the champ a long time ago at my workplace. He was one of the nicest, most genuine guys you could ever want to meet. The world has lost one of it's greatest. RIP.

#6 7 years ago

Sad to hear.

LTG : (

#7 7 years ago

He was the greatest

11ccc8c8844b9e8495816242328553f6_(resized).jpg11ccc8c8844b9e8495816242328553f6_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

The sweet science just lost a legend...RIP.

#9 7 years ago

As an amateur boxer myself, I grew up idolizing Ali and wanting to be him. One of my childhood heroes, and he's gone. Such a sad day for not only his family and friends, but the sport of boxing itself and everyone who wish they could have even been even 1/100th as good as him in the ring. RIP

#10 7 years ago

I highly recommend that everyone watch the documentary "When we were kings"

He was the greatest

#11 7 years ago

Sorry I can't feel the same way .The man refused to go into the draft . Believe in it or not why is he more important than all the soldiers who went into the draft , fought , and what does it say to the men women and family's who lost loved ones. What if everybody refused to do that. The draft sucked I'm not disputing that but he was a great boxer not a great man

#12 7 years ago

Very sad day today, a big fan of Ali.

I just had a full restoration completed for me on my Ali pinball in the last week or so. Will never leave the collection.

Ali_(resized).jpgAli_(resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

The last heavyweight fight I saw was Tyson Fury beating one of the Klitschko brothers for the title. In most sports, the athletes and level of competition today have improved from the sixties, but not in this case. Ali would have wiped the floor with those two losers.

#14 7 years ago

He hung in there along time.

#15 7 years ago

I have no interest in boxing whatsoever, but here was a great man who transcended his sport. I was struck from a very early age by his ability to firmly state his position as the greatest, without being an asshole about it. An air of unstoppable confidence wrapped up with a sense of humour and the presence of a gentleman, who knocked the living crap out of people without ever descending into thuggery. Greatness, plain and simple.

#16 7 years ago

RIP Cassius.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

Sorry I can't feel the same way .The man refused to go into the draft . Believe in it or not why is he more important than all the soldiers who went into the draft , fought , and what does it say to the men women and family's who lost loved ones. What if everybody refused to do that. The draft sucked I'm not disputing that but he was a great boxer not a great man

He was only one of 170,000 who applied as conscientious objectors during Vietnam. The final result was that the Supreme Court of The United States stated that he wasn't a draft dodger by a vote of 8-0.

#18 7 years ago

RIP loved you as a fighter. Not so much as a draft dodger. I don't care what the Supreme Court say's. Like they know what their talking about. You were loved and you were an amazing fighter!

#19 7 years ago

I have a huge signed framed picture of the Frazier knockout front and center in my office at home. I consider it one of the greatest sports photos ever. I recall as a kid having no interest in boxing watching Wide World Of Sports on a Saturday just to see he and Howard Cosell together.

A lot of Ali posts and pics today on social media and no doubt he lived up to his self titled 'the greatest' moniker. But, amazingly one of the greatest athletes ever is more respected for the person he was outside the ring - devoted to his religion, political beliefs, and social issues. Never a thug he spoke proudly about who he was and what he believed in and those who didn't understand his differences from themselves listened out of respect because of how he carried himself - and in a time far less accepting of such things as today. That's a leader. That's why you still respect Muhammad Ali, not because he was a great boxer.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#20 7 years ago

Farewell to the Louisville Lip. RIP

IMG_20160604_070203_01_(resized).jpgIMG_20160604_070203_01_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

I would never go to someone elses country and start shooting at them because the govt. Said so....but the day some foreign country lands on our shores with tanks to blow up our women and children, I'll be the first in line to defend.

Maybe he felt the same...

#22 7 years ago

Ali was the most entertaining boxer ever. Doesn't mean he was a great man or a great person. I don't know him and probably no one else on pinside knows him personally either. Enjoy him for what he was. It's been a tough year for legends, lots of them disappearing.

#23 7 years ago

Howard Cosell tribute to Ali. Short and sweet.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Ali was the most entertaining boxer ever. Doesn't mean he was a great man or a great person. I don't know him and probably no one else on pinside knows him personally either. Enjoy him for what he was. It's been a tough year for legends, lots of them disappearing.

Yep, we don't know his heart. We will all get to die and none of us are any better than the other including this boxer. We all have the same fate.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

Jesus Christ dude the 60s are over.

That was a horrible, unjustified war and Ali was one of MANY people of all races and creeds who decided he wasn't going to take part in it. His sacrifice for his belief was almost unimaginable - the prime of his career, millions of dollars, and potentially his freedom.

History has proven him right, and the haters have faded away.

Great man and inspiration to millions - including veterans and returning soldiers - and a true American patriot and hero. He's what this country is supposed to be all about.

Also the greatest heavyweight in the history of boxing, even with his prime being wrongly stolen from him (it's completely outrageous that he was stripped of his right to fight without any due process - as Howard Cosell said, it's a crime that it happened in our country).

Watching his fights from the 1960s, you'll be amazed by his speed and reflexes. His fights from the 1970s will astound you with his smarts, guts, and durability.

#26 7 years ago

I have never betted on a sports event.When it was announced he would fight leon Spinks,i bet on Ali! Lost!! Ali looked like a B fighter bum! He did it on purpose,cause he knew he actually could beat Spinks! So,on the rematch,Ali kicked his ass.Leon Spinks went down as holding the crown for the shortest time in Boxing. Ali went down as first Boxer in history to regain the Title 3 times!! A straight up con!But,the rope a dope is a thing of beauty to watch! IMHO

#27 7 years ago

RIP, Ali! He was the greatest.

#28 7 years ago

NO,CrazyLevi,i didn't want to kill anybody either,so,when i was drafted for Vietnam,i joined the Air Force! His was designed to bring him to the public eye at that time!There are ways,and then there are ways! He didn't serve his country,claiming that his adopted Muslim status exempted him! The Supreme court at that time was very aware of the trouble that might arrise from troublemakers like MLK, and the BP party in particular ! Elvis went!!

#29 7 years ago

The best of the best in an era that boast many of the greatest heavyweight fighters in boxing history, that's for sure

#30 7 years ago

Agreed!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

NO,CrazyLevi,i didn't want to kill anybody either,so,when i was drafted for Vietnam,i joined the Air Force! His was designed to bring him to the public eye at that time!There are ways,and then there are ways! He didn't serve his country,claiming that his adopted Muslim status exempted him! The Supreme court at that time was very aware of the trouble that might arrise from troublemakers like MLK, and the BP party in particular ! Elvis went!!

Ali followed his conscience. He was in no personal danger - like Elvis or joe louis, he wouldn't have fired a shot or been in harms way if he had joined the armed forces.

He was firmly opposed to the war. As a true American hero and patriot, he refused to take part in a war effort that he was fundamentally opposed to and that his religious conviction wouldn't allow him to. He sacrificed greatly for this conviction and inspired untold others who felt the same way.

You made the choice that was right for you and so did he. You both deserve credit and not derision for making a difficult choice in outrageously insane times. When you die I'm sure nobody is going to say "well, hawkmoon was a great pinball player, but not a great man. How could he participate in that horrible war?!"

Today isn't the day for this bullshit. These battles were fought literally and figuratively many, many years ago. The funny thing is, if you spent even 5 minutes in his presence, I'm sure Ali would have charmed the pants off of you.

#32 7 years ago

So was I CrazyLevy! But when your Country says you go,,YOU GO!!!He was in a position to be loud,AND the Muslims were controlling him,telling him how to act! My actions came from wanting to serve my country in a way that suited me! He just said,hell no,i won't go,because of who he was!! and what he was! Thats all!! I didn't think he was right! He wanted special treatment! And got it!!

#33 7 years ago

Disappointed to read many disrespectful comments here. RIP Muhammad Ali

#34 7 years ago

He was a racist, and a draft dodger! Remember calling white people Devil's? So what if he could box, he was still no hero compared to people in the military. Suck's to the PC crowd about your hero.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

He was a racist, and a draft dodger! Remember calling white people Devil's? So what if he could box, he was still no hero compared to people in the military. Suck's to the PC crowd about your hero.

different world back then of course ! I was racist back then too now I'm not and my daughter is married to a very nice black man who is a VP of a big tech company and he's a great man but back then I'd never ever think that my daughter would marry a man of color . How foolish and naive of me . Opinions change !

(Political statements removed by Pinside Staff)

#36 7 years ago

The truth hurt's, too bad, not everybody thinks the same as a few of you.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

So was I CrazyLevy! But when your Country says you go,,YOU GO!!!He was in a position to be loud,AND the Muslims were controlling him,telling him how to act! My actions came from wanting to serve my country in a way that suited me! He just said,hell no,i won't go,because of who he was!! and what he was! Thats all!! I didn't think he was right! He wanted special treatment! And got it!!

No one asked my opinion but no one has asked for anyone else's so Ill give mine. I agree with Levi. I would not have gone to Viatnam or Korea either and I would not join the military now and I wont let my son either. Why? Because Vietnam and Korea was totally worthless and all it did is get our boys killed. It did absolutely nothing except allow the CIA to run drugs back and forth. They went over there with their hands tied just like they are now in the big sand box. Let these people deal with their own internal problems. If they wanted to do something send people in to kill the leaders not our guys to their guys. Black Sabbaths War Pigs pretty much fits here. It is a rich mans war and a poor mans fight. I would stand up even a 48 years old and fight FOR my country if my country, countrymen or family was in danger from outside forces but I wont put my life or my kids life in danger for some politicians war games. I feel our country is in more danger from its politicians than it is from outside forces. My 2 cents, flame me if you want.

#38 7 years ago

moved like a butterfly-STUNG l like a bee! RIP.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

The truth hurt's, too bad, not everybody thinks the same as a few of you.

Yeah good point. Clearly only a few people think Ali was great.

A few hundred million people based on what I'm seeing today.

The truth hurts for ignorant morons stuck in 1967.

#40 7 years ago

Yeah Levi the country is so much better now because of people like you. Pull your head out your ass.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Yeah Levi the country is so much better now because of people like you. Pull your head out your ass.

People who know how to use apostrophes correctly? People who aren't repeating the same idiotic things their dad said in 1967? People who don't understand that Ali haters are in the vast minority in 2016?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

#42 7 years ago

You will never understand.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

You will never understand.

And neither will you.

Another trip through 4th grade and you might get the hang of the apostrophe thing though.

#44 7 years ago

You have been inhaling to many gas fumes & smog, you need some fresh air to clear your mind.

#45 7 years ago

Maybe he drank a soda larger than 16 ounces.

Just kidding

#46 7 years ago

now now children...

Netflix currently has a good documentary called "i am ali." Go watch it!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

The man refused to go into the draft ......What if everybody refused to do that.

Then the USA would not have gotten into a war in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos.

You can't have a war without fodder for the cannons.

-

Muhammad Ali was the greatest BECAUSE he refused to obey the draft.

#48 7 years ago

Feels like I'm witnessing the rebirth of McCarthyism..........

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

You have been inhaling to many gas fumes & smog, you need some fresh air to clear your mind.

How is it possible in this day and age that an adult male writes worse than my eight-year old nephew?

Aren't you embarrassed by your lack of understanding of written English, and the fact that you don't know the difference between "to" and "too" and that apostrophes aren't used when pluralizing something? Do you think maybe this obvious failure of our educational system is what's wrong with this country, and not the fact that millions of people love Muhammad Ali?

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How is it possible in this day and age that an adult male writes worse than my eight-year old nephew?
Aren't you embarrassed by your lack of understanding of written English, and the fact that you don't know the difference between "to" and "too" and that apostrophes aren't used when pluralizing something? Do you think maybe this obvious failure of our educational system is what's wrong with this country, and not the fact that millions of people love Muhammad Ali?

Because he is a racist , just like centerflank , who is down voting everyone with positive remarks for Muhammed ali and up voting all negative remarks

Im starting to realized just how many a holes are on this website and opinionated people with very negative intentions and thought process. how someone can sit here and say bad things about a man, father, husband, etc that died last night is disturbing and makes me sick to my stomach .

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/muhamad-ali-has-died?hl=spider3582 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.