Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“MST3K you say?”

• Hell yes! dream theme, shutup and take my money! 24 votes
      51%
    • Why do you tease me so? 14 votes
      30%
    • Kickstarter.. kickschmarter, that show is past it's prime 9 votes
      19%

(47 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MST3KCoverPre_(resized).jpg
    mst3k_sat_of_love.jpg
    mst3k_inline_drop_doors.jpg
    crow_tom_servo.jpg
    mst3k_pinball_cabinet.jpg
    movie_sign.jpg
    gizmonic_institute_pop_bumper.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Before you read any further, no I am not working on a MST3K pinball (I have too many projects as it is to even contemplate). I'm starting this thread to capture ideas of how the theme might be integrated, not unlike the ghostbusters speculation thread.

Ok, so start off with the cabinet. Obviously the show's logo on the backglass. I think it should have a color screen similiar to lebowski, but kill part of the bottom for the shadows
    mst3k_pinball_cabinet.jpgmst3k_pinball_cabinet.jpg

The pop bumpers should be gizmonic institute buildings
    gizmonic_institute_pop_bumper.jpggizmonic_institute_pop_bumper.jpg

There should be flasher domes that light up during "movie sign!" mode, and all the plastics should have that random brown texture that's in the main studio
    movie_sign.jpgmovie_sign.jpg

Would be great if there were crow and tom servo animated toys on the playfield (even if only the mouths move), and basically they're simply there to riff on how terrible you're playing
    crow_tom_servo.jpgcrow_tom_servo.jpg

* I haven't seen draining like that since I watched youtube on my iphone
    * I think this guy is dumb, deaf, blind, and really bad at pinball
    * ball save? tell that to lance armstrong
    * ball cradle: start singing Cat's in the cradle
    * missed skillshot: "pull the plunger back more, that's how springs work"

#2 8 years ago

I think it would be worth my money just for the callouts alone. That show was one big callout (the movie part anyways). One of my all time favorites (my kids love it too).

#3 8 years ago

There should be the 6 doors, each opened by an inline drop target (like the metallica graveyard). Once all 6 doors are opened, one more shot into the back starts movie sign multiball
    mst3k_inline_drop_doors.jpgmst3k_inline_drop_doors.jpg

#4 8 years ago

I'm a little particular when it comes to MST3k. I prefer the Mike, Kevin, Bill years (the later episodes). For me, those guys would be a must for the pin. As for the integration of the theme, that's a tough one. I guess modes could play clips and call-outs from particular episodes like "Final Sacrifice" or "Puma Man".

Not sure if you guys know this or not but Mike, Kevin, and Bill are still basically doing the MST3k show now called RiffTrax. You can get it on the web and Hulu, check out www.rifftrax.com for all their stuff. If you are looking for a good episode I can suggest a couple. After all these years I'm glad to see these guys still doing it, it's pretty amazing to have basically grown up watching the show and now as an adult watching basically the same show continue.

#5 8 years ago

I think there could be modes based on some of the songs:

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Not sure if you guys know this or not but Mike, Kevin, and Bill are still basically doing the MST3k show now called RiffTrax. You can get it on the web and Hulu, check out http://www.rifftrax.com for all their stuff. If you are looking for a good episode I can suggest a couple. After all these years I'm glad to see these guys still doing it, it's pretty amazing to have basically grown up watching the show and now as an adult watching basically the same show continue.

Yeah, Rifftrax is great live. Been to several of the local rifftrax showings and saw them at dcon as well. Really funny guys and very nice in person. Hope their kickstarter goes well.

#7 8 years ago

There are a million callouts from the show that could be used, but it's definitely a situation where custom speech could easily be recorded without a big budget. The taunts for poor play could be so good.

#8 8 years ago

That pop bumper is awesome. I want a 'Mitchell' target that shouts "MITCHELL!" everytime you hit it.

#9 8 years ago

Push the button Frank

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I want a 'Mitchell' target that shouts "MITCHELL!" everytime you hit it

I want the random dialogue from pod people "Mrs rogers? Mrs beasley? MC CLOUD!" "IT STINKS!"

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from janus:

Push the button Frank

Agreed!

There was one where frank goes "what, are your arms broken?"

#12 8 years ago

And now I have ANOTHER dream theme!

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from janus:

Push the button Frank

Perfect call out after putting in a quarter! Unfortunately, a home game would like be on freeplay probably...however, an IR sensor in front of the game would be funny. Walk up to the game and you hear "Push the button, Frank".

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from mjenison:

Perfect call out after putting in a quarter! Unfortunately, a home game would like be on freeplay

It could have an autoplunger button.. If you don't fire the ball after 20 seconds, it keeps saying random versions of that.

#15 8 years ago

How about a target that calls out a random name for the big blond guy from Mutiny in Space each time it's hit?

Beat PunchBeef
    Big Brave Brick of Meat
    Big McLargeHuge
    Blast HardCheese
    Blast ThickNeck
    Bob Johnson
    Bold BigFlank
    Bolt VanderHuge
    Brick HardMeat
    Buck PlankChest
    Buff DrinkLots
    Buff HardBack
    Butch DeadLift
    ChunkHead
    Chunky
    Crud BoneMeal
    Crunch ButtSteak
    Dirk HardPec
    Fist RockBone
    Flink
    Flint IronStag
    Fridge LargeMeat
    Gristle McThornBody
    Hack BlowFist
    Hunk
    Lump BeefBroth
    Punch RockGroin
    Punch Side-Iron
    Punt SpeedChunk
    Reef BlastBody
    Roll Fizzlebeef
    Rip SteakFace
    Slab BulkHead
    Slab SquatThrust
    Slam
    Slate Fistcrunch
    Slate SlabRock
    Smash LampJaw
    Smoke ManMuscle
    Splint ChestHair
    Stump BeefKnob
    Stump Chunkman
    Thick McRunFast
    Touch RustRod
    Trunk SlamChest
    Whip SlagCheek

#16 8 years ago

Would the instruction manual be made out of paper or metal? I got a bet with Joe

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from janus:

Would the instruction manual be made out of paper or metal?

It's digital, but it's stored on a fat angus drive

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

How about a target that calls out a random name for the big blond guy from Mutiny in Space each time it's hit?
    Beat PunchBeef
    Big Brave Brick of Meat
    Big McLargeHuge
    Blast HardCheese
    Blast ThickNeck
    Bob Johnson
    Bold BigFlank
    Bolt VanderHuge
    Brick HardMeat
    Buck PlankChest
    Buff DrinkLots
    Buff HardBack
    Butch DeadLift
    ChunkHead
    Chunky
    Crud BoneMeal
    Crunch ButtSteak
    Dirk HardPec
    Fist RockBone
    Flink
    Flint IronStag
    Fridge LargeMeat
    Gristle McThornBody
    Hack BlowFist
    Hunk
    Lump BeefBroth
    Punch RockGroin
    Punch Side-Iron
    Punt SpeedChunk
    Reef BlastBody
    Roll Fizzlebeef
    Rip SteakFace
    Slab BulkHead
    Slab SquatThrust
    Slam
    Slate Fistcrunch
    Slate SlabRock
    Smash LampJaw
    Smoke ManMuscle
    Splint ChestHair
    Stump BeefKnob
    Stump Chunkman
    Thick McRunFast
    Touch RustRod
    Trunk SlamChest
    Whip SlagCheek

As seen here

#19 8 years ago

somehow the invention exchange needs to be part of it

#20 8 years ago

It would be my first NIB.
    Spooky, let's make this happen -- aren't you guys close to Minnesota?
    -mof

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Yeah, Rifftrax is great live. Been to several of the local rifftrax showings and saw them at dcon as well. Really funny guys and very nice in person. Hope their kickstarter goes well.

That is awesome, I would really like to catch one of their shows live sometime. For any of you guys that have not checked it out yet, you don't know what you are missing. Maybe it's just my MS3K nostalgia, but those three voices make me laugh no matter what. They are releasing a new episode next Friday of "The Wizard" one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid. It's the one where Fred Savage is friends with some kid that is competing in a video game tournament. I can't wait to see that. Also, they just started selling old MST3k episodes on their website as well.

#22 8 years ago

I love this idea, I'd buy one in an instant.

#23 8 years ago

Not to knock this off topic, but Joel is trying to restart the show. He's almost hit his Kickstarter goal four days in.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

Not to knock this off topic, but Joel is trying to restart the show. He's almost hit his Kickstarter goal four days in.

Interesting, I wonder who the other two voices would be (assuming there would be three). Kevin Murphy (Tom Servo), works at Rifftrax now.

#25 8 years ago

Love Mst3k!! (Owned every episode at one point) Love Rifftrax!!! Have over a 100 riffs purchased plus dozens of riffed movies.

Been to The Room and Starship Troopers Riffed live in theaters.

Bigger fan of the show from season 5 - 10 but plenty of great episodes before that. Watch out for snakes!! Or Roxie!!! Would be great call outs from Eegah.

Hope the show does come back but Mike and the bots (Kevin and Trace/Bill) were so magical for me. I never caught any of the Cinematic Titanic movies. It's on my list though.

Oh and there was a show called Cheap Seats that was very similar to Mst3k. Check them out on YouTube.

#26 8 years ago

Ball lock should happen on the satellite of love, which carries the balls above the playfield
    mst3k_sat_of_love.jpgmst3k_sat_of_love.jpg

#27 8 years ago

toyotaboy, what about theater seat locks?

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ball lock should happen on the satellite of love, which carries the balls above the playfield
    mst3k_sat_of_love.jpg

Is that a 24 white wood?

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Love Mst3k!! (Owned every episode at one point) Love Rifftrax!!! Have over a 100 riffs purchased plus dozens of riffed movies.
    Been to The Room and Starship Troopers Riffed live in theaters.
    Bigger fan of the show from season 5 - 10 but plenty of great episodes before that. Watch out for snakes!! Or Roxie!!! Would be great call outs from Eegah.
    Hope the show does come back but Mike and the bots (Kevin and Trace/Bill) were so magical for me. I never caught any of the Cinematic Titanic movies. It's on my list though.
    Oh and there was a show called Cheap Seats that was very similar to Mst3k. Check them out on YouTube.

I've always liked you Grinder, now I know why lol. I really want to try to make it to a Rifftrax live show. I own 90% of all their streaming content. My current top 5 Riffs are: ROTOR, Radical Jack, Stone Cold, Birdemic, and Fever Lake.

My top 5 MST3k Episodes would be: Final Sacrifice, Final Justice, Riding with Death, Prince of Space, and Space Mutiny. I think those would be awesome to integrate in as modes with sound clips and video. Although, it doesn't really cover enough of the entire show, just the later seasons. I think the inline drop targets are a great idea by the way for the doors.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Is that a 24 white wood?

looks like one

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

I've always liked you Grinder, now I know why lol. I really want to try to make it to a Rifftrax live show. I own 90% of all their streaming content. My current top 5 Riffs are: ROTOR, Radical Jack, Stone Cold, Birdemic, and Fever Lake.
    My top 5 MST3k Episodes would be: Final Sacrifice, Final Justice, Riding with Death, Prince of Space, and Space Mutiny. I think those would be awesome to integrate in as modes with sound clips and video. Although, it doesn't really cover enough of the entire show, just the later seasons. I think the inline drop targets are a great idea by the way for the doors.

Thanks bud! RollerGator is so bad and it hurts so much, won't you?

Wish you were closer and we'd get a bunch of msties together and watch some of our favorites. Your top five are great ones. I can't get enough of Red Zone Cube though. Guard. Water. Sick man.

I also love Space Mutiny, Final Sacrifice, Time Chasers, and Future War.

I was watching Creeping Terror just last night. Another great one!

1 week later
    #32 8 years ago

I donated a $100 to the MST3K Kickstarter fund. Movie sign!!!!

#33 8 years ago

I'm tempted to bump mine up to the $150 tier. The rewards look pretty good.

1 week later
    #34 8 years ago

I bumped my amount to $200! I think we've got six episodes paid for! I wanted a blue ray box set of the episodes. Very excited for this. It would be so awesome if this led to mst3k being picked up by a network/channel

#35 8 years ago

I'm not much of a LCD guy, but this game would have to have an LCD to show a lot of corny acting/monsters. The modes would be incredible and the video clips could be set to random. Several different movies of each genre, sci fi, zombie, vampire etc so you could use several clips for different modes.

1 week later
    #36 8 years ago

The MOST funded project in Kickstarter history!!!! So proud to have helped and can't wait to see what they come up with.

I hope they parlay this into being able to bring the show to reg tv again.

#37 8 years ago

The telethon tonight was really fun. Dana Gould's bit was great. So was the singalong at the end.

#38 8 years ago

"If I may break character for a moment..."

#39 8 years ago

I hope they spend some of the money on getting their pinball machine made -- who's going to introduce them to Spooky, and save the internet? Aren't WI and MN like -- cousins?

-mof

#40 8 years ago

I know! Charlie, get in here!

1 month later
    #41 8 years ago

First off, I would DIE for an MST3K pin!

Second, for those who want Mike and the bots on their pin RIGHT NOW - I've just made a new item called Card Covers on my site, and the first design is for MST3k. Just download, print, cut out the silhouette, and slide right on top of any of your current movie-themed pins where the rule cards could use some love and humor!

"We've got movie sign!"

Download Free @:
    http://pinballboy.com/rulecards/mst3k

MST3KCoverPre_(resized).jpgMST3KCoverPre_(resized).jpg

#42 8 years ago

Red Manos hand decals (a la The Master's cloak) over the flipper buttons, and Torgo Multiball complete with theme song!

AFM would be a good candidate for a re-theme base on the MST movie: The saucer is pretty spot-on, rubber martians become mu-tants with a little head modding...top it off with a triangular Interocitor DMD!

3 months later
    #43 7 years ago

Awesome pin idea! I hope there'd be a spinning MST3k globe toy somewhere on the playfield.

Quoted from jibmums:

That sounds like a good looping ramp shot mode. Maybe every time you hit it, a humorously mutated version of the main character appears on the DMD like the repeating hitchhikers in TZ. "LUMP BEEFBROTH" [tiny arms] "PUNCH ROCKGROIN" [upside-down face] "BIG MCLARGEHUGE" [too big for the screen]

3 weeks later
    5 months later
    #45 7 years ago

MST3K officially won't be done by spooky. They said at expo seminar that once Joel bought the license back for the reboot it became too expensive
    http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/spooky_pinball.mp3

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

MST3K officially won't be done by spooky. They said at expo seminar that once Joel bought the license back for the reboot it became too expensive
    http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/spooky_pinball.mp3

Hard to believe the license would be expensive. Rifftrax has been re-releasing old MST3k episodes once a week on top of their other releases. I can't imagine they pay much for the license. Not to mention, you would think Joel would want all the publicity he can get for the reboot.

4 years later
    #47 2 years ago

4 year later one the verge of another wildly successful kickstarter campaign and 2 season with Netflix I wonder if there's any more appetite for this. I honestly can't think of a theme more suited for a pin, and like others have said it would be an automatic buy for many based on brand loyalty alone.

Really hope someone revisits this at some point. I'd personally love to see a Black Mirror pin made, but until MST3K happens it has permanent residency at the top of my wishlist

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoopsMagee:

4 year later one the verge of another wildly successful kickstarter campaign and 2 season with Netflix I wonder if there's any more appetite for this. I honestly can't think of a theme more suited for a pin, and like others have said it would be an automatic buy for many based on brand loyalty alone.
    Really hope someone revisits this at some point. I'd personally love to see a Black Mirror pin made, but until MST3K happens it has permanent residency at the top of my wishlist

Have you tried Elvira House of Horror? Pretty similar vibe of making lots of bad movies into modes.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Have you tried Elvira House of Horror? Pretty similar vibe of making lots of bad movies into modes.

I find elvira to not be funny. Charming sure, nice in person absolutely. But whoever is writing for her doesn't know how to be funny. The MST3k crew has literally had me belly laughing sometimes until it hurts.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I find elvira to not be funny. Charming sure, nice in person absolutely. But whoever is writing for her doesn't know how to be funny. The MST3k crew has literally had me belly laughing sometimes until it hurts.

Agreed about her style of comedy. A lot of it is pretty corny. She has a pretty bad hit/miss ratio compared to MST3k machine gun approach of constant jokes.

Or it could just be a generational thing of me being raised on a much more absurdist and referential style of comedy than one based on word play and innuendo. MST3k is definitely more the former than the later.

Anyhow EHOH is probably the closest we’re getting to a MST3k pin. I like how the movies are the real star of pin and some are very well integrated.

Maybe someone could make the ultimate re-mix to include one liners from Crow and Tom Servo and video bits from the show.

And just to say EHOH has its funny and campy charm. The end trailer sequence is some S-tier work by Lyman

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mst3k-pinball/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.