Darn_connector.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
WP_20130512_005.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider worldofglenn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have a recently acquired MSF. With the usual servo / servo board issues. On the servo board, the LED light is not doing the desired behavior of blinking upon machine power up. I've checked traces on the board and they all test good. I've checked resistors on the board, and they all test good. I haven't pulled any capacitors or the LED itself off to check yet. On the servo out 3 pins, I do get a good 5v, and negative ground. The control wire itself is tricky, so I'm not sure how to interpret my DMM on its readings.....

I'm wondering if I can substitute the 'little monster' board:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5152-00

in place of:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5113-00

Given the Monster Motion has 4 groups of pinouts, but only uses one of them, I'm cautiously optimistic. Has anyone tried this?

In looking at pages 92/93 of the manual describing theory of operation, can I check the output from the CPU with a DMM, or do I need to get a logic probe?

Thanks all - from Frankie and I.

WP_20130512_005.jpgWP_20130512_005.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel like I have a good handle on the pinouts. I'd just feel a lot better if that darn LED lit up on the board Maybe I'll take my servo down to the local RC store and see if they can test it and go from there. I'll report back!

Thanks,

Glenn

#5 10 years ago

I picked up a servo and still no go. I tested the LED and it works..... So, I think I need to trace the connector to the backbox. And this is where things get interesting.... If I look at CN1 on the monster board, besides power and ground, there are 3 other connectors. Clock, Data, and Enable. The only reference I can find on the CPU board is Servo Enable at CN1, position 9. I have no idea where Clock and Data are.... Any ideas? And there is no wire on CN1 position 9.....

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Mine looks about the same. Just have hunt down where the heck servo enable is, clock and data....

#10 10 years ago

I was afraid of something like that Rob. Well, here are a few further adventures as I try to find the other side of that darn connector and where it should go.

In the three attached photos, you see the darn connector where the Monster Board attaches.... curiously enough, by the ball launch switch I noticed 2 sets of 'abandoned' connectors. One connector of which has similar colors. Indeed, if I short the 3 oranges together, I get continuity on connectors, 1, 9 and 10. Of course, there's no obvious place at all for this to plug in to....

They look to me like orange blue, orange red, and orange ???. Curse my color blindness....

If the board is toast so be it, but I sure as heck want to find where the those wires should terminate.

Darn_connector.jpgDarn_connector.jpg Abandoned_connectors.jpgAbandoned_connectors.jpg Is_it_here.jpgIs_it_here.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Rob, is there no way to clone an known existing good one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 259.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider worldofglenn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/msf-servo-board?tu=worldofglenn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.