By UltraPeepi

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150712_153426 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UltraPeepi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I played last night. Everything was fine. This morning I powered it on, heard an pop (like an electrical arc pop), and no display. I powered off, opened the backbox a got the smell of ozone - no BURN smell, just ozone. I disconnect the display, powered on, and it seems to function otherwise.

Given the pop and ozone, I would expect to be able to find a visible trace of an electrical burn. But so far I see nothing.

I tested voltage going to the board, and it SEEMS right. There is one connector that I am having a hard time identifying on the schematic; but it measured voltage. I don't THINK there is any high voltage going to the display panel.

Do you think the pop/ozone is coincidental? Any advise on how to proceed?

#2 7 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, no fuses blown.

#3 7 years ago

OK. Nevermind. I was able to follow the connectors back to their source. Sure enough, there was a fuse hidden behind a bundle of wires - and it WAS blown.

#4 7 years ago

Replaced the fuse, and it immediately blew when I powered it up again. So it wasn't an anomaly. I have taken the display apart, and nothing is visibly obvious. Now I am trying to check things out with my multimeter.

The fuse is for the power that goes to the display. The schematic says +12V; but I measure with the display disconnected and it reads +18V. It seems likely that would cause a component on the display board to burn out. That means I have two problems: correcting the bogus voltage from the power supply; and locating/fixing the damaged component.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks. I've seen a couple of posts on that. And there's even this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement#post-3296132

I wish I was better at diagnosing electronics (I even have an EE degree - but I have never been an EE professionally - I am a software engineer). I find it hard to believe that I couldn't replace a couple of transistors and/or diodes and resurrect this thing.

Maybe I'll upgrade, continue to investigate, and have two working DMD when I'm all done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UltraPeepi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/msf-popozone-now-no-display?tu=UltraPeepi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.