(Topic ID: 284328)

MS Frankenstein doesn't boot (CPU board power problem?)

By Pinthul

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by grumppy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201223_180105.jpg
IMG_20201223_175923.jpg
IMG_20201223_175915.jpg
#1 3 years ago

Dear Pinside friends,

I'm relatively new to all things Pinball and have a big problem with my recently acquired MS Frankenstein. It doesnt boot anymore. It was playing fine until a few days ago, trying to start it yesterday it won't boot and won't play anymore. The pin lights up the Playfield but the DMD stays dark. Sometimes when turning off the DMD displays scrambled dots for a few seconds so I guess the DMD itself is not broken.

It is also not possible to play, the start button does not load a ball, also no sound is played but the speakers emit a constant, faint "humm". Sometimes the playfield coils/ Frankenstein arms move like in test mode for a second or two, thats it.

The CPU Board LED (PIA, 5V, Blank) do not light up at all during startup or after. They stay completely dark.

I have reseated all the connectors going to the CPU board but nothing changed. I have ordered a digital Multimeter and a soldering kit. But especially my electrical skills are severely lacking and I don't know where to go from here (or even how/what to measure) to locate the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice christmas time.

Edit: I have attached some pictures of the CPU Board, something else I noted is the machine behaves no different with inserted batteries or without, the battery holder is not attached to the board at the left side and seems to have some small burn marks?

IMG_20201223_175915.jpgIMG_20201223_175915.jpgIMG_20201223_175923.jpgIMG_20201223_175923.jpgIMG_20201223_180105.jpgIMG_20201223_180105.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Have you checked all the fuses?

#3 3 years ago

While you get your DMM, check the TP voltage on the PSU(should be near the top of the pcb) as well as the fuses like mentioned above.

In the mean time, while you wait you could try reseating the connectors on the PSU.

Should be a 15 pin connector on the lower left side of the board. That carries the +5v.

#4 3 years ago

The 5v to the dmd is critical. There is a repair kit to stabilize it

1 week later
#5 3 years ago

In your first picture the ribbon cable at CN21 is backwards. So I would check the other end of that cable to see if it is switched also. The red stripe should be at #1 pin like the cable next to it.

If you add a picture of the other end of the cable we can let you know if it is a problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ms-frankenstein-doesn-t-boot-cpu-board-power-problem?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.