(Topic ID: 286079)

MS Frankenstein Display issue SOLVED (tentatively)!

By zhu808

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zhu808
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sb106.pdf (PDF preview)
    b2793af029d993932dc4a194f6ca9ca6f07985ef (resized).jpeg
    20210118_095749 (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Aloha,

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob.

I'm still having issues with my display. Display version screen keeps popping up randomly now, over and over again during gameplay and attract mode. Someone suggested replacing the CPU to Display ribbon cable, so I did that and it didn't fix the problem. I reseated all the connectors on the display driver board and also the display-related connectors on the MPU board. No change. The problem has gone from bad to worse... Today I removed the ROM3 and ROM0 chips from the display driver board and sanded some corrosion off of the legs and reseated them (notch to notch). I also did this with ROM C5 on the MPU. Still no change in behavior.

Anyone know what might be causing this issue? Seems like the display keeps wanting to continually reboot, or at least that's my hunch judging by the startup message constantly popping up.

Please help!

Thank you

#msf #frankenstein #dataeast #maryshelleysfrankenstein

20210118_095749 (resized).png20210118_095749 (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

Have you tried testing the +5V at the power supply as well as coming into the display at the controller?

The dmd controller board needs stable +5vdc or it will reset/not work.

If you’re looking to learn and fix it yourself, a good place to start reading is Pinwiki

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega

#3 3 years ago

Also does it have this kit ?
    b2793af029d993932dc4a194f6ca9ca6f07985ef (resized).jpegb2793af029d993932dc4a194f6ca9ca6f07985ef (resized).jpeg

sb106.pdfsb106.pdf
    #4 3 years ago

Thanks guys,

I just installed the kit and it fixed the issue of the display resetting randomly, but the other issues still persist... HOWEVER, yesterday I turned the game on in the morning and left it on all day, and in the evening it was playing as if it were normal with no weird shit going on. I wonder why??? I'm testing it out today with similar results. I'm still seeing minor things, but it's far more tolerable - almost normal.

Any insight into this? Thanks for your input.

z

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Also does it have this kit ?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Just installed it.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from mad_carl:

Have you tried testing the +5V at the power supply as well as coming into the display at the controller?
    The dmd controller board needs stable +5vdc or it will reset/not work.
    If you’re looking to learn and fix it yourself, a good place to start reading is Pinwiki
    https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega

Thanks - I'll do some more reading. I gotta fix it myself, otherwise no one's going to

#7 3 years ago

Update:

So I've confirmed that triggering the Geneva multiball actually causes the display and CPU to function NORMALLY. Anyone know why this could be the case? I don't understand how the Game ROM chip works, but for whatever reason, this seems to be the case.

The boot up sequence screen for the CPU has always been a little off - I should have sniffed this out sooner - and I'm almost certain that it's causing all these issues.

I've ordered a new Game ROM for the machine. Holding my breath and hoping this solves the problem.

z

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ms-frankenstein-display-issues-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.