1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210906_102153 (resized).jpg
20210826_160915 (resized).jpg
20210826_160910 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210819_093656 (resized).jpg
64f1865226ed4de98cf551ae39c9ec9db4bed619 (1) (resized).jpg
121681d62c886237e690e282c26a45f1dd6ce79d (resized).jpg
IMG_20210807_093452 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

MICROSWITCHES on the other hand are absolute garbage, fail way more than leaf switches, and have multiple modes of failure (internally shorted open, internally shorted closed, nub doesn't activate the switch due to bad tension, etc etc etc).

I retrofitted micros that are commonly used in today's pins into the twelve drop targets on my '80 Black Knight because they were just not reliable anymore from taking a pounding (the points and the blades too) over 30 years, but replaced all of the ball lock and trough leaf switches with new leaf switches. Plus that system used only 5 volts for the switches, when I cleaned an original switch it would work for a while but soon start failing again. Williams even offered a retrofit way back then to convert all the lock & trough leaf switches to microswitches because the leaf sws would fail so much from any dirt or whatnot on the switch points. So far they are all working without fail and I bought a few extra micros and leaf switches just in case. Really this is the only game I ever owned where I had to replace ANY gold-contact leaf switches at ALL. I don't think that 5 volt system was the best design.

1 week later
#53 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Do you have some pics of those retrofitted targets?

I wanted to go with micros only if I could use the existing screw holes for the old switches and they were common off the shelf parts, these worked. Had to do a lot of manual bending/ tweaking/ snipping of the actuator wires to get the open/closed positions perfect and be sure they were well clear of the reset bar whether the wire was up or down, took into account screw heads at certain positions on the banks, and L mount vs R mount. Had to snip a little off one sharp corner of the plastic mounts so they would be clear of a raised bracket edge but no big deal.

I thought micros were better here than leafs, the drops really slam down on them and they were exposed to dirt fouling them (the 'only 5 volts' issue). And I wanted to try something a little different. Could be done better & easier as far as tweaking the actuator wires go, like leaving the ends just plain straight, and maybe put a plastic or rubber spacer on the end where it contacts the target instead of bending the ends around, but they work flawlessly. Anyway, MRS switches would definitely NOT work here. Probably IS no pin you could 'entirely' MRS or even come close to it.

64f1865226ed4de98cf551ae39c9ec9db4bed619 (1) (resized).jpg64f1865226ed4de98cf551ae39c9ec9db4bed619 (1) (resized).jpg

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

High Speed and Pinbot customers already - yep - working on star rollovers however....

I can see where a lit translucent star rollover like on EBD could be a problem. Basically an insert with the added spring-loaded star. Would still want the old switch there as the spring, not interfere with the moving star piece and also not make it look yucky with the MRS visible thru the insert or blocking the light. Doesn't seem like it could be as flush as on a rollover.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mrs-your-entire-pin-?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.