PXL_20200926_210541458 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200926_210535263 (resized).jpg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpg
595B672F-6D9C-49FF-9166-DCC36035F24D (resized).jpeg
creech (resized).jpg
MRS-R (resized).jpg
mrs_compare (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Just making a repro part announcement. We began making repro MRS' in mid-2019 - but only announced on the RFM forum (they are handmade and didn't want to get overwhelmed with orders). We've been branching out more to other pin clubs that utilize this crazy unobtanium switch....the MRS stands for Magnetic Reed Switch - and they are also found in SC, CV, NBAFB, NGG, SWEP1 and CC ...they went unobtanium half a dozen years ago or so - so my partner and I at M&M Creations decided to remake them. Our MRS is plug/play - it is lighter, thinner and more sensitive (which we've found is key when playfields have clear-coats applied!) than the original MRS. You can see a pic of the repro MRS solo and in a lineup with an original Williams MRS, a Sega MRS (used in Maverick, Space Jam and SWT) and a repro M&M Creations MRS.

Further, we designed an MRS mod for CFTBL (see pic) to be placed in the whirlpool to garner more revolutions instead of that silly Cherry switch getting whacked by the ball. PM if interested!

Matt & Dan

MRS-R (resized).jpgmrs_compare (resized).jpgcreech (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

I just received your creature bowl switch. Can you post a picture with the switch installed.

Thanks

#4 1 year ago

Love when someone makes unobtanium parts available again . This is something I can't use however good on you to go that extra mile...
Thanks for keeping games going!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I just received your creature bowl switch. Can you post a picture with the switch installed.
Thanks

Just head over to the Creech group for pics of installed units... If that fails... Just shoot me a call!

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for doing this!

#7 1 year ago

What’s the pricing? Way to go

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What’s the pricing? Way to go

Hi Chris....replacement MRS' are $25/switch....the custom Creech MRS' are $30/switch....

#9 1 year ago

And just like that M&M Creations releases a custom MRS for Transporters bowl....granted a very rare pin - but we have one and love it - so it was on the list to make - and now is available!!

#10 1 year ago

Got mine installed! Works great! Consistently get 4 revs compared to the 2 I used to get. Was rewarded on my first test game by getting my playfield multiplier it to 4X. Just missed the Super Jackpot.

Only very minor bummer is that the MRS detects 1 bowl hit when a new ball is ejected from the trough into the shooter lane.

#11 1 year ago

Hey Rascal_H
This is something we were worried about! We've intentionally increased the sensitivity on these over the Williams baseline, mostly for the switches under the playfield. This can counter some issues like thick clearcoats and slightly thicker playfields which might be making original switches not effective. We carried some of that to these bowl switches just to be sure they worked well even if there is some variation on how they are installed. Even an extra millimeter sensitivity seems to matter a lot!

Is it possible to rotate it around the bowl further (toward the top of the playfield, I think?) to move it slightly away from the shooter lane? If that doesn't work, we can swap it for a slightly less sensitive one.

Let us know.
Thanks for this feedback. This is very helpful for us to tune these for best performance.
Dan

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from blubboman:

Hey Rascal_H
This is something we were worried about! We've intentionally increased the sensitivity on these over the Williams baseline, mostly for the switches under the playfield. This can counter some issues like thick clearcoats and slightly thicker playfields which might be making original switches not effective. We carried some of that to these bowl switches just to be sure they worked well even if there is some variation on how they are installed. Even an extra millimeter sensitivity seems to matter a lot!
Is it possible to rotate it around the bowl further (toward the top of the playfield, I think?) to move it slightly away from the shooter lane? If that doesn't work, we can swap it for a slightly less sensitive one.
Let us know.
Thanks for this feedback. This is very helpful for us to tune these for best performance.
Dan

Thanks, I will try that. Hoping the adhesive tape stays sticky after repositioning. Guess I could pretty easily add some new tape if needed.

#14 1 year ago

Would something like taping a steel shim to the back of the switch help to cut down the field from picking up the ball in the trough?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

How about a reed switch for Cactus Canyon?

We have them... Or did you mean the bowl for the skill shot?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Would something like taping a steel shim to the back of the switch help to cut down the field from picking up the ball in the trough?

Negative... That would disrupt the field.... Moving is the best bet

#17 1 year ago

We're considering CC. The shooter ramp has an elliptical bowl so more restrictive on placement with fixed geometry.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from blubboman:

Hey Rascal_H
Let us know.
Dan

I moved to the bottom of the bowl. It seems to fix unwanted detects.

Issues here are

1) it’s more visible

2) the MRS is magnetizing the ball and with the switch at the bottom of the ball I’ve actually had the ball stick to the switch

595B672F-6D9C-49FF-9166-DCC36035F24D (resized).jpeg

#19 1 year ago

Hi Rascal_H
I was suggesting to move it the other way although I wasn't anticipating the ball getting hung on the switch magnets! We hadn't seen this yet but the magnets are pretty strong. It may help to level the bowl - this usually involves washers under the bottom standoffs to lift the bowl to be more flat. This is cool anyway as you get more revolutions (points!) and the ball doesn't slow down as much near the bottom where the magnets may be strong enough to grab it. The switch more on the side will have trouble holding the ball that is also being pulled down toward the bottom of the game by gravity (guessing?).

I added a picture of mine with the green switch. I think this is as far as you can go. If not here, you would then have to go around past the wire ramp and put the switch over the slingshot plastic because the wire ramp physically interferes. That would be more noticeable - not a great spot.

Is it possible to move the switch nearer the top like mine? If not, and if you are too irritated at this point, I think we should just get you a another switch that is less sensitive and you can stop goofing with it.

Let us know. Sorry for the weird issues.
Dan

IMG_0512 (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago

I love my MRS on CFTBL - what a great mod. Would one of these work on the Diner coffee cup?

#21 1 year ago

following

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

I love my MRS on CFTBL - what a great mod. Would one of these work on the Diner coffee cup?

We didn't announce...I guess we are now... But we have that... Just hasn't released it for purchase yet

#23 1 year ago

Great! I am nearly done with my Diner PF swap so this would be perfect timing. Count me in.

#24 1 year ago

I wonder if one of these could be modifed to replace the left ramp switch on shadow?

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

2) the MRS is magnetizing the ball and with the switch at the bottom of the ball I’ve actually had the ball stick to the switch

Wow, that's nuts.

I never had a problem with balls getting magnetized in Metallica, or Xmen Premium, for instance, and I would expect it to be far more likely from actual magnet cores. Maybe switch to chrome balls instead of iron-core if that's really the culprit. That's crazy that the switch would be able to do that....but there's not really anything else in Creech that would that I know of?

I might need to pre-emptively buy a few of these in case they disappear...I can think of a lot of fun uses for these...

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I wonder if one of these could be modifed to replace the left ramp switch on shadow?

It occurred to me many years ago - but with all the metal on the ramp - it doesn't work well....

#28 1 year ago

deleted

#29 1 year ago

The ball is just attracted to the magnets in the switch. If the ball is moving really slowly, the magnets are just strong enough to hold the ball.

#30 1 year ago

Your doing God's work.
Nice job

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

Your doing God's work.
Nice job

It's funny - one thing Dan and I learned from all of this - is what may seem 'simple' was FAR from it....these little bastards are tricky and require tuning....it took almost a full year to get where we are at....and even though I'd argue we are at full command behind the magic of these things - there are still days we both go - 'huh...didn't know that'....so hopefully nobody armchair QB's these things - because you wouldn't have a remote idea how complex they can be.....

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Sonic:

We didn't announce...I guess we are now... But we have that... Just hasn't released it for purchase yet

Please announce when the ones for Diner are ready for sale. I already have the CFTBL switch you guys made, and think it would work great in the coffee cup too.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Please announce when the ones for Diner are ready for sale. I already have the CFTBL switch you guys made, and think it would work great in the coffee cup too.

Ditto

3 weeks later
#34 1 year ago

Where do I go yo purchase these? I need one for Creature.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from maglar:Where do I go yo purchase these? I need one for Creature.

Just PM me - I'll put you on the list...

1 month later
#36 1 year ago

I just brought home my transporter from being fully restored. I had free play 40 make me new ramps. I purchased the crossover bowl ramp. new flippers, LEDs, and of course your switches. Holy crap is this thing better than a new game. Your switch in the bowl lets the ball zoom around like it's a BB on a hot plate. I have the game on hard and half the time or better I can make the ball go around in the bowl enough to engage the xcellarator shot. Thank you!

5 months later
#37 1 year ago

I finally got around to installing one of these switches on one of my Cactus Canyons this weekend. It works great and the wiring was just the right length.

Here are some pictures after I had attached the MRS and removed the old cherry switch. I zip tied the wires to the flasher harness, the same as the original switch, for a stock look.

PXL_20200926_210535263 (resized).jpgPXL_20200926_210541458 (resized).jpg
#38 1 year ago
Quoted from NoMonkey:

I finally got around to installing one of these switches on one of my Cactus Canyons this weekend. It works great and the wiring was just the right length.
Here are some pictures after I had attached the MRS and removed the old cherry switch. I zip tied the wires to the flasher harness, the same as the original switch, for a stock look.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good job! Thanks for the kind words. Please review the pic I've included- you can also mount the MRS to the hex-post (that's why the bolt is included)....so either mount it to the hex-standoff or stick it to the bowl - either way works....

Matt
M&M Creations

cc (resized).jpg
4 months later
#39 8 months ago

Good morning, do you still manufacture it for Creature? If so pm me as I would be interested

Regards

2 months later
#40 6 months ago

Still making the bowl switch for Creech?

#41 6 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

We sure do! Just PM me to order!

Matt
M&M Creations

#42 6 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Also - since I see you have a Shadow - check out our MRS solution on the Shadow forum - lots of pics and testimonials - oh on the HEP thread too - he adopted our solution on a couple recent restorations!

Matt

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside