(Topic ID: 271579)

Mr. Tantrum's Pinball Apron Cards (with poll)

By Mr_Tantrum

20 days ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who likes installing custom apron cards for their pins?”

• The first thing I do when I get a new pin is to tear up the ugly OEM cards and PM Mr. Tantrum to see if he has or can desing me some new ones. 7 votes
      17%
    • I like custom apron cards, but I only have them on some of my pins since I prefer well-made ones with quality graphics. 21 votes
      50%
    • I'm happy to download any old card design from on Pinside, well done or not, print it on my crappy printer on cheap paper, and slap them on my pin. 7 votes
      17%
    • Who in their right mind would deface a pinball machine with custom apron cards? 7 votes
      17%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200710_190006 (resized).jpg
    20200708_191151 (resized).jpg
    0A227484-C871-49E7-BCD6-59B80A5F6342 (resized).jpeg
    20200702_145531 (resized).jpg
    20200702_145550 (resized).jpg
    20191019_131132 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#1 20 days ago

Over the last few years I've produced dozens of apron card designs, and have sold hundreds of them to dozens of Pinsiders. I typically design or print an existing card set (often modified) when someone who has seen or purchased my work previously requests it (I also make tons of decal, 3D printed, and other mods for games).

Up to this point, when someone asks for an apron card set I design it then post it in the appropriate owners thread. However, this has recently become kind of an issue since stuff is scattered everywhere which makes it difficult to know for sure what someone is wanting with the PM me but don't reference the link to my post.

My solution was to create a website that features all of my card designs, some modified ones, and some originals from others who have given me permission to post them. The intent of this site is not to be a repository for others, nor is it a free site to download apron cards. Rather, it is a site to compile the cards I have created and/or printed, and am offering to sell.

All of my card sets are $10 per pair ($5 for an add-on card), and are made-to-order using the highest quality materials (price includes US postage). As stated on the site, I print the cards on a photo quality printer using OEM ultra gloss photo paper and OEM inks. I coat with a clear gloss vinyl overlay, cut to size, and color the edges in order to hide the white perimeter of the paper when installed. Regarding my digital files, I do not and will not share them, free or for a price, so please do not ask (if you do, the answer will be no).

Thank you to the dozens of owners who have purchased cards from me up to this point, and I look forward to helping many more add a little style to their pinball aprons.

You can find all of the cards I currently offer at http://aproncards.com

--------------------

FYI, as of 6/27/20 all apron cards are on hold right now. The issue is that I'm out of clear gloss vinyl, and the product I use is on back order. I bought and tried another brand with the same specifications, but it just wasn't up to the quality standard I wanted. If you are interested, go ahead an PM me so that I know to contact you when I'm resupplied.

#2 20 days ago

I can personally vouch for Mr_Tantrums apron cards, I have them on ALL of my machines. His quality and attention to detail is second to none!

#3 20 days ago
    Quoted from Chappie101:

I can personally vouch for Mr_Tantrums apron cards, I have them on ALL of my machines. His quality and attention to detail is second to none!

Thanks, Chappie.

#4 19 days ago

Do you have any quantity discount? For example, if I wanted all three Gorgar cards, and all 4 Firepower cards, would it still cost $35?

#5 19 days ago

The cards are $10 per pair + $5 for each extra. If you order 5 or more sets (or any combination of 10 cards or more), then I will take 10% off the order (e.g. $1 off per set).

All of these are very high quality, hand made, and take up some of my free time to make them. I've set the price as low as I can for it to be worth my effort.

#6 19 days ago

Best Ive seen!

Even worth the shipping to Australia.

10/10

Thanks Zum !

Ps...its sad to see people ripping off your stuff and selling it like the getaway items...

#7 18 days ago
    Quoted from Jakusu:

Best Ive seen! Even worth the shipping to Australia. 10/10

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

#8 18 days ago

No idea why anyone would pay for this?!?! So many free cards out there, seems silly. My 2c

#9 18 days ago

Just to throw out an unsolicited .02usd, I've been buying for projects from Tantrum for ages and the quality has never been less than perfection. Custom made stuff even with over the top attention to detail. He's an asset if you're into that sort of thing. 10 of 10. Recommended.

#10 18 days ago
    Quoted from jardine:

No idea why anyone would pay for this?!?! So many free cards out there, seems silly. My 2c

Because of the quality of the item not what it is.
    Wtf is it with pinballers forums and negative commenting?

#12 18 days ago

I will check out the site mr_tantrum your coin deer decals are very nice too. I’ve seen some here.

#13 18 days ago

Any chance you'll be doing one for Ghostbusters?

#14 18 days ago

I'd rather have the ability to print my own cards. That way, I have control over the quality and can adjust it to my liking. I have no problem with paying for the artwork, but want control over the printing.
    Also, as far as I can tell - there are no examples of what the finished product looks like on the site, just thumbnails of the artwork.

#15 18 days ago
    Quoted from Jakusu:

Because of the quality of the item not what it is.
    Wtf is it with pinballers forums and negative commenting?

I have to admit that the downvote on my opening post did crack me up a little.

Quoted from jardine:

I thought it was assumed, but maybe I need to spell it out for some. I am in no way forcing anyone to buy my cards, nor am I restricting anyone from downloading and printing their own cards from any they can find from the multitude of free sources on the web. If you like any of my designs and appreciate quality and attention to detail in a finished product for a fair price, then I’m happy to make you some (I’ll even create cards from some of those free sources if you prefer other designs different from what I’m offering).

Quoted from jscaptura:

I'd rather have the ability to print my own cards. That way, I have control over the quality and can adjust it to my liking. I have no problem with paying for the artwork, but want control over the printing.
    Also, as far as I can tell - there are no examples of what the finished product looks like on the site, just thumbnails of the artwork.

While I’m not a professional printer with millions worth of high-end equipment, I have worked professionally in the digital color design and print space for more than two decades. All of that to say that I understand what a quality print product can and should look like, and how to produce it. Additionally, the vast majority of people are not already setup with the hundreds of dollars in hardware, software, and supplies to print a set or two of cards on par with the quality I produce. It is for these people that I create apron cards.

As far as photos of the finished cards go, I don’t keep a repository of them. However, many of the owners threads have pics where owners show them off.

#16 18 days ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

Any chance you'll be doing one for Ghostbusters?

Just to kind of let you know how I work, I don’t proactively do card design. If someone lets me know they are interested in buying cards from me then the first thing I do is go see what is already out there. I’ll share what I find with them, then ask if they like any of the designs. If they do then those will be the cards I produce for them. If they want some slight change made or a complete redesign then we’ll take things from there.

If I recall, there may already be some good GB designs out there. PM me if you are truly interested in buying, and I’ll help search and we can take things from there.

#17 18 days ago

I thought I'd compile a Q&A from questions I've been getting recently. I hope this service will be informative and help everyone better understand things.

Q: Your opening post is so verbose, have you ever heard of the word "pithy"?
    A: Yes.

Q: Since I'm too lazy to read it all to understand what is going on here, I thought I would ask you several redundant questions that you've already answered to make things easier on myself. Your happy to address each of them again in detail with me personally, right?
    A: No.

Q: Will you share your files? I remember reading that you won't and that your answer will be "no" if anyone asks, so I shouldn't bother asking. Even so, I thought would ask since you are probably willing to make an exception for me, right?
    A: No and No.

Q: No really, will you share your designs for free?

Q: What if I pay you something, say like $1?

Q: Seriously dude, even if I promise I'll only print them once for my own pin then delete them? The thought would never cross my mind that I would create an inferior quality product and sell them on Ebay as my own (fingers crossed behind my back).
    A: Still, no.

Q: C'mon man, anyone can create and print pinball cards. I bet you think your poop doesn't stink, don't you?

Q: Not only do your cards suck, you suck!
    A: While not technically a question I do get that a lot, so thanks.

Q: Do people really ask these questions?
    A: I'll leave it up to you to decide what is real and what is an attempt at humor through sarcasm.

#18 18 days ago

Id be happy to take pix of your cards on my machines for you to use how ever you like.

#19 18 days ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Id be happy to take pix of your cards on my machines for you to use how ever you like.

Thanks. If anyone wants to they are more than welcome, but not obligated, to post pics of my cards on their pins in this thread for others to see how they look installed.

#20 17 days ago

Well, this is fun:

pasted_image (resized).png

#21 17 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, this is fun:
    [quoted image]

They have become the modern day Gene Simmons over such petty non sense

#22 17 days ago

Here's my Jurassic Park cards that Mr.T did, when I get home I will post the pics of my other 2 machines. Just as a side note he also makes awesome key-chains

20191019_131132 (resized).jpg
    #23 17 days ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

They have become the modern day Gene Simmons over such petty non sense

Funny, I had a conversation just a couple of weeks ago with a guy who had a run in with Gene a few years back over something fairly ridiculous - he made an item for a guy with a pic of an owner next to his own KISS pinball machine. Was that you? Hah!

#24 17 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Funny, I had a conversation just a couple of weeks ago with a guy who had a run in with Gene a few years back over something fairly ridiculous - he made an item for a guy with a pic of an owner next to his own KISS pinball machine. Was that you? Hah!

#25 17 days ago

Well, I've removed the following and will no longer be making them for those who inquire at the request of the powers that be. Actually, many of these designs aren't my originals (many are) and are posted throughout Pinside and card repositories on the internet. Therefore, I'll leave it up to each individual if you want to track them down and make your own, but I will not give any guidance to such nor produce them for you.

Black Knight 2000 - trademark
    Blackout - trademark and copyright
    The Machine: Bride of Pinbot - Trademark, Williams Logo Trademark, Williams script trademark, Copyright art
    Centaur - Trademark
    Circus voltaire - trademark, Bally trademark
    Comet - Trademark, copyright art
    Cybernaut - Trademark
    Cyclone - Trademark, copyright art
    Dirty Harry - Williams Script Trademark, Williams Logo Trademark
    Earthshaker - Trademark, Williams Script Trademark, Williams Logo Trademark
    Eight Ball Deluxe - Trademark, Bally Trademark, Copyright Art
    F-14 Tomcat - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Fathom - Trademark
    Firepower - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Fire Power II - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Getaway - Trademark, Williams Logo Trademark, Williams Script Trademark
    Gorgar - Trademark
    Hurricane - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Jokerz - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Monster Bash - Trademark
    Party Zone - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Pinbot - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Road Kings - Trademark
    Rollergames - Trademark
    Sorcerer - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Tales of the Arabian Nights - Trademark, Copyright Art
    Time Fantasy - Trademark, Williams Script Trademark, copyright art
    Xenon - trademark, copyright art

#26 17 days ago

Guess that's what happens when you try and sell something without the authority of the original Copyright

Same as making more than one homebrew machine I guess.

#27 17 days ago

Funny thing is that about half of those cards are already available for download at other places, and they will continue to be without a single complaint from anyone nor action from PPS. Also, I'm sure that PPS will be releasing custom apron cards for all 40 year old pins soon since they won't allow others to do it, right? Ironically, it makes my life a little easier and less busy so I'm indifferent whether I make cards or not, and only disappoints those who don't have the equipment, supplies, and process to design and make their own quality cards (from a strict legal point, you are equally as guilty even if you download from a site and/or print for your own game - distribution, free or for fee, is irrelevant).

I guess ruining other people's joy is what happens when certain people run to mommy like a 5 year old child. I assume someone is reporting just about every owners thread on Pinside and the multitude of apron card sites on the web too (I somehow doubt that since they've all been going strong for years).

#28 17 days ago
    Quoted from jardine:

So in the first breath it’s ok to get them when they are free but yet still copyrighted.

Quoted from jardine:

Guess that's what happens when you try and sell something without the authority of the original Copyright
    Same as making more than one homebrew machine I guess.

In the second breath it’s not okay with the very same copyrighted images because someone might be making a few cents after the costs of materials and shipping not counting any labor. Ok got it now...

#29 17 days ago

This bums me out.
    When I first tried having custom cards printed, I sent them to Walmart’s photo center. When I came to pick them up, they wouldn’t give them to me without a release form because they had a copyright symbol on them. Funny thing is that CVS’s photo center printed them with no issues, but their quality sucked and they zoomed in on the image. After that, I started printing them myself. There’s another thread here on Pinside where someone was posting custom cards that he created and the OP went silent in that thread. One can only assume that he got a C&D from PPS aa well.

I hope you can work something out with PPS, maybe producing cards for them?

#30 16 days ago
    Quoted from jscaptura:

This bums me out.
    When I first tried having custom cards printed, I sent them to Walmart’s photo center. When I came to pick them up, they wouldn’t give them to me without a release form because they had a copyright symbol on them. Funny thing is that CVS’s photo center printed them with no issues, but their quality sucked and they zoomed in on the image. After that, I started printing them myself. There’s another thread here on Pinside where someone was posting custom cards that he created and the OP went silent in that thread. One can only assume that he got a C&D from PPS aa well.
    I hope you can work something out with PPS, maybe producing cards for them?

There is always that one or two who ruin a good thing for everyone, shame too they really enhance the appearance of the machine.

#31 13 days ago

Can't remember who all I notified but I have a clear vinyl back on hand, so card production is up and running again.

#32 13 days ago

Your cards look great as always. Pics soon.

20200702_145531 (resized).jpg20200702_145550 (resized).jpg
    #33 10 days ago
    0A227484-C871-49E7-BCD6-59B80A5F6342 (resized).jpeg
    #34 10 days ago

Cards look great installed.

Just to remind everyone, I had already shipped some Bally/Williams cards before being required by PPS to remove them from the site and to no longer offer them. Therefore, if some owners happen to post pics with Bally/Williams cards installed on their games but you don’t see them on the site, this is why.

#38 6 days ago

Oh geez, thanks for the heads up (I guess someone that goes by Timerider would notice such a thing on a Time Machine pin). Looks like I’ll need to send a new one to the buyer who had me design it. I always show previews to be proofread, but sometimes I forget to make it clear that I need them to reviewed the content and not just the design.

Update | All fixed. Since I had more room with the correct instructions, I was able to make the font larger and add hanging dice bullets.

http://aproncards.com/index.php/nggallery/pinball-apron-cards/time-machine

#39 4 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Cards look great installed.
    Just to remind everyone, I had already shipped some Bally/Williams cards before being required by PPS to remove them from the site and to no longer offer them. Therefore, if some owners happen to post pics with Bally/Williams cards installed on their games but you don’t see them on the site, this is why.

Are you able to create new versions of the offending cards that don't infringe on PPS's rights?

#40 4 days ago
    Quoted from jscaptura:

Are you able to create new versions of the offending cards that don't infringe on PPS's rights?

Based on #25 above, no. PPS deems usage of any graphics or even reference to the pin's name as a violation (trademark, copyright, etc.)

#41 4 days ago

Getaway cards and replacement apron vinyl and shooter lane cover
    20200708_191151 (resized).jpg

#42 4 days ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Getaway cards and replacement apron vinyl and shooter lane cover
    [quoted image]

Very nice.

FYI, those were done long ago before I was prompted to no longer offer Bally/Williams cards. Sort of stupid that I have to keep stating that, but I'm sure there are some (or at least one) around here who's first instinct is to go running to PPS.

#43 3 days ago

I purchased the Batman Forever cards and they look great! There's a small purple plastic on the bottom left of my machine that I'm going to remove to show off the card.

IMG_20200710_190006 (resized).jpg
    #44 2 days ago

Just added 2 new pins:

- Gottlieb: Roller Coaster | http://aproncards.com/index.php/nggallery/pinball-apron-cards/roller-coaster
    - Spinball: Jolly Park (game # will be customized) | http://aproncards.com/index.php/nggallery/pinball-apron-cards/jolly-park

Instructions on these are slightly modified/corrected according to experienced owner.

#45 2 days ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I purchased the Batman Forever cards and they look great! There's a small purple plastic on the bottom left of my machine that I'm going to remove to show off the card.
    [quoted image]

Look great!
    http://aproncards.com/index.php/nggallery/pinball-apron-cards/batman-forever

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RobTune
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside