Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191004-104908_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all,

Do you know if this site is generally reliable to buy from? They mention some scammers on their site but that seems to be aimed at sellers. I'm in the middle of potentially acquire 2 machines (from 2 different sellers) from the mr pinball classifieds. I'm a little hesitant though because I'd be sending money first (through) paypal) before receiving each of the machines. Anyone have any opinions? I'm a newbie to collecting so trying not to get scammed and not sure how others handle it.

Thanks for any advice!

#2 4 years ago

Exercise extreme caution, there have been multiple postings here on PS that mention scams via Mr. Pinball.
    I'm sure if you do a search you will find many reports of too good to be true.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3 4 years ago

There are many scammers there. But there are also some old school sellers too.

Make sure you do your research with the seller. Talk to them on the phone - don’t just send money. And if you use PayPal don’t use friends and family it it is more difficult to get your money back.

Many here will day never send money. I have not had problems but I spend a lot of time checking out the seller.

This is long but might be helpful - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/page/8#post-4968221

#4 4 years ago

My advice when buying from anyone you don't personally know is to assume they are a scammer first and only send money once you've completely ruled that out. Then be really, really sure you both agree on what the condition is of the game and don't take words or terms like "the best playfield I've ever seen", spotless, like new, etc. and assume that your meaning of that term matches the sellers. If you get close to a sale it might be good to post the sellers name here on Pinside to see if anyone knows them or has dealt with them in the past.

#5 4 years ago

I've got a few games on mr pinball. My rule is to see it in person and cash on the glass unless it's someone I know. Double check on pinside regarding the seller, it's worth it.

#6 4 years ago

I have been scammed once. It was on Mr. Pinball. That place is littered with scammers.

My advice would be to ask for a current pic of the machine with the seller in it making a peace sign (or something comparable to PROVE they actually have the machine). Reverse google image all pics to make sure they aren't stolen. Phone the seller and speak to them and ask specific questions to affirm authenticity. Secure the pick up from a reliable source, like Michelle bianchii with STI.
    Lastly, send funds via escrow.com for your protection.

You can also share the pins with us on here and some of us can help you out as well.

#7 4 years ago

In the past year not a single listing I've reached out about has been legitimate (probably 10 listings). Mr Pinball is primarily scammers at this point imo.

If you're deadset on buying a game off there ask the seller to send a picture with their name and the date on a piece of paper on the game. If they give you some bullshit answer as to why they can't do it then it's a scammer. They always told me "Oh scammers will just use that picture so I won't do it".

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from rattmuscle:

I've got a few games on mr pinball. My rule is to see it in person and cash on the glass unless it's someone I know. Double check on pinside regarding the seller, it's worth it.

I 2nd this!! This is the only way I buy and sell pins.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

Hi all,
    Do you know if this site is generally reliable to buy from? They mention some scammers on their site but that seems to be aimed at sellers. I'm in the middle of potentially acquire 2 machines (from 2 different sellers) from the mr pinball classifieds. I'm a little hesitant though because I'd be sending money first (through) paypal) before receiving each of the machines. Anyone have any opinions? I'm a newbie to collecting so trying not to get scammed and not sure how others handle it.
    Thanks for any advice!

My advice? don't do it. I wouldn't buy off there without seeing the machines in person. Pinside is different because the profiles have a history you can verify.

#11 4 years ago

If its a rare game , or really good price its usually a scam.

#12 4 years ago

That site has become the fake news of pinball. What appears to be a severe lack of moderation has left the site wide open to scammers. Steer clear unless the sale is local.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks all. At this point both have requested I use the "friends & family" option on PayPal so that's kind of a red flag right there like someone mentioned above. They also seem to be very pushy (in a rush). They may both actually be legit but it definitely sounds like there's a good chance they're not and I'd have no recourse most likely sending money via paypal friends and family. Thanks all for all the great advice above. Btw the 2 I'm dealing with just in the off chance anyone could vouch for them are "Jones North" selling Fish Tales and Jake/ Rapid Service selling Congo.

Thanks guys

#14 4 years ago

I refuse to look at ads on Mr. Pinball Classified after being scammed on a backglass. In the old days it was more pinball people and collectors on there, now days it seems to be full of scammers. Have you looked at the known scammers list? Because our hobby has gained popularity, I think thieves have caught on to it. If you do decide to go for it, protect yourself. NO money orders. Paypal with a credit card. Do not use Friends and Family on Paypal, pay the difference for a protected transaction. Ask for a lot of pictures and then do google image trace. Call and actually talk to the person to get a feel of the situation. Ask on Pinside if anyone knows of the seller. Look and see how long it has been for sale. If its been more than 2 weeks and if it's such a great deal, why hasn't someone else picked up this deal? There are pinball collectors in every city or close by. Lastly, if you cant see the games in person, then I wouldn't do it.

#15 4 years ago

Thanks bicyclenut- Good advice!

#16 4 years ago

You can't trust any pictures unless you can get one with special conditions like current date written on piece of paper in picture. I would still never send any money through paypal or any other means. Anyone asking for money up front is definitely a scammer. Scammers are getting pretty good at saying the right things to sound legit. Only option to be safe is to see the game in person and paying cash.

#17 4 years ago

i have sold 4 or 5 machines on mr pinball in the last few months - so they are all not fake - i have a CV on there now - and will be putting a pro football on there shortly. i use it because not everybody who collects pinballs uses pinside - thanks ed

#18 4 years ago

As long as you are a cash on glass kinda guy you really cant get scammed. Just don't give out personal info and try to arrange a place/time to visit, identifying a scammer is pretty easy as they always have an excuse as to why they cant show you the game even though they claim to be 20 minutes away from you. Personally, I stopped even looking at Mr Pinball years ago and mainly just use this site, craigslist, and facebook marketplace.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Caveat Emptor!!

A 1956 Bel Air convertible for $100? Greg scored!

#20 4 years ago

I posted on Mr. Pinball once... looking for a really rare backglass. Within hours I had a bunch of responses from scammers, who when asked for pictures sent the same handful of crappy pics that have been posted online. I haven't been back since.

#21 4 years ago

I don't know how, but scammers are prevalent on that site. I feel most pinsiders are overly cautious to a fault, however, I would be cautious on that site. I even had someone send a picture with a piece of paper on that glass with a date etc after I asked. Must have been a photoshop. Easy dead give away is trying to call them and you get a google voicemail or they call you back later. They are always out of the country Nigerian types and there are always pauses during the communication and their English sucks. They are also really pushy. Tell them you have a buddy in the area that wants to check it out in person. They'll make excuses. Run.

#22 4 years ago

Tell them you have a friend in their area that can pick up and pay cash. See how fast they start making excuses why shipping is so much better .

#23 4 years ago

Here is a thread I started last year about what happened to me on Mr Pinball Classified.....it gets pretty funny and entertaining.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-scammed-from-an-add-on-mr-pinball-classified

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from GamerMD:

"Jones North" selling Fish Tales and Jake/ Rapid Service selling Congo

No way in hell am I sending anything to them. Just forget about it and buy from a local deal you can drive to and pay cash, or IF YOU MUST, a reputable seller on Pinside.

#25 4 years ago

DON'T DO IT!!!
    But, do string them along and have them drive to banks where you say you'll wire the money to. Then tell them your wife had emergency surgery and you can do it the next day. After that tell them you got pissed at your account manager and switched banks, preferably to a bank atleast 30 miles from scammer. Don't give up until they lose their shit and start yelling. Then keep going.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

DON'T DO IT!!!
    But, do string them along and have them drive to banks where you say you'll wire the money to. Then tell them your wife had emergency surgery and you can do it the next day. After that tell them you got pissed at your account manager and switched banks, preferably to a bank atleast 30 miles from scammer. Don't give up until they lose their shit and start yelling. Then keep going.

You should see some of the texts messages I have going back and forth with these cocksuckers.

#27 4 years ago

A quick Google search of the text in the Fish Tales ad shows it is copied from a three year old sale: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fish-tales-williams-1992-2013

Your Congo is for sale here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/82546

But really? ..... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/possible-scam-alert-on-mr-pinball

Do your due diligence, often the text is directly lifted from somewhere else.

Buy from someone local especially if you are new to this; a local may also take you under their wing and go look at a machine with you.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A 1956 Bel Air convertible for $100? Greg scored!

Damn right he did. Kinda like an AFM for $100!

#29 4 years ago

My experience on Mr. Pinball sums up to the following:
    There are legit sellers on the site.
    They usually have a legit number on the ad.(I called one ad where the location was 20 miles north of me and had a colorado number).
    If they are legit, the prices are waaaay over priced.

The best one I personally had was stringing a guy along for almost 10 days while he waited for me to go get walmart gift cards to send him. We texted almost every day. Told him I had the gift cards. He said great and wanted me to send them. I told him i was in the area and can pick it up and give him the cards. Never replied.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

My experience on Mr. Pinball sums up to the following:
    There are legit sellers on the site.
    They usually have a legit number on the ad.(I called one ad where the location was 20 miles north of me and had a colorado number).
    If they are legit, the prices are waaaay over priced.
    The best one I personally had was stringing a guy along for almost 10 days while he waited for me to go get walmart gift cards to send him. We texted almost every day. Told him I had the gift cards. He said great and wanted me to send them. I told him i was in the area and can pick it up and give him the cards. Never replied.

Nice!

#31 4 years ago

Walk away and don't look back. You can find what you are looking for here on pinside and easily verify someone's reputation here.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Damn right he did. Kinda like an AFM for $100!

If his dad hadn't been such a naysayer, check out what a little elbo grease might have netted him.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1956/chevrolet/bel_air/100983464

#33 4 years ago

Never had a problem with Mr. Pinball Classifieds and after 23 years in the hobby I still look forward to receiving the ad's every day. Never send money to someone you don't know. At the very least try to find a reputable Pinsider in the same area that might go look at the game on your behalf and to verify the seller. Remember, cash on the glass is the only way to go.

John

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Never had a problem with Mr. Pinball Classifieds and after 23 years in the hobby I still look forward to receiving the ad's every day. Never send money to someone you don't know. At the very least try to find a reputable Pinsider in the same area that might go look at the game on your behalf and to verify the seller. Remember, cash on the glass is the only way to go.
    John

I've bought three games via their ads over the years and agree with you completely, don't get caught up in the "I gotta have it" emotions, follow this advice and you'll be fine.

#35 4 years ago

This was sent to me this morning. He jokingly asked if stern made addams family. What I found even more entertaining was the tz ad at the bottom.

Screenshot_20191004-104908_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191004-104908_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #36 4 years ago

I tried to buy a LOTR there. The seller told me it had less than 100 plays. He would take care of shipping, I just needed to wire the money to an account of a person that was never part of the conversation. He said he was a big collector of pins but he had no account on Pinside. And when I asked him to send a picture of the battery housing he got all mad and said he was insulted that I did not trust him. If it sounds to good to be true.

#37 4 years ago

I wouldn't trust 'em. It's become one of those sites like craigslist where no vetting takes place, and the Internet has moved on long past them.

I would feel better buying from here or Facebook marketplace. At least there's some shred of a paper trail.

You could look up a pinsider's post history on here. Even if it's someone with a post history of endless bickering & debating, yeah, that still is going to establish them as a humain being with glass to put cash on, and not some scammer from Nigeria that wants you to pay in advance.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

This was sent to me this morning. He jokingly asked if stern made addams family. [quoted image]

Just for kicks, I looked up the carrier info on the number. It's a Google voice number, of course.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just for kicks, I looked up the carrier info on the number. It's a Google voice number, of course.

I looked it up also.

#40 4 years ago

I would never buy a pinball machine without seeing it in person. You can't tell from pictures how good it is and there's no guarantee that the pictures are what you are going to get.

2 months later
    #41 4 years ago

23 NIB ads from a single distributor in one day, ugh. I'd rather scroll through a few scammers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-pinball-classifieds-2?hl=bork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.