(Topic ID: 261681)

Mr Mrs PacMan game sounds go silent when voice should be there

By Scmitchell

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Bally Mr Mrs PacMan has game sounds but they go silent when the voice should be talking but it says nothing. I get the 5 flashes on the Squawk and talk on boot up but get NOTHING when pressing the red sound check button on the S&T board. This is the last issue then it plays perfect. I have already gotten all the segments working on the displays!! YAY!

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scmitchell:

Bally Mr Mrs PacMan has game sounds but they go silent when the voice should be talking but it says nothing. I get the 5 flashes on the Squawk and talk on boot up but get NOTHING when pressing the red sound check button on the S&T board. This is the last issue then it plays perfect. I have already gotten all the segments working on the displays!! YAY!

If I recall, there is a "blend" knob on the squawk and talk board that controls the amount of speech to sound effects. I could be totally misremembering the one I used to have. I know Williams System 6/7s have this feature. Give your board a check and see if the knob is just misadjusted or dirty. This may just be cutting off the speech.

#3 4 years ago

It was the voice pot on the sound board. I turned it back and forth stop to stop a couple of times and reset it to the middle. Works great now. I am usually not this lucky. thanks!!!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scmitchell:

It was the voice pot on the sound board. I turned it back and forth stop to stop a couple of times and reset it to the middle. Works great now. I am usually not this lucky. thanks!!!

No sweat, glad it worked out. I will say that a can of De-Oxit D5 is your best friend in the world. It will clean and lubricate that pot to keep it nice and reliable for a long time. Regular contact cleaner isn't even close.

#5 4 years ago

New problem. Game will just reset in the middle of a game. Press start and play again but a few balls later it does it again.

#6 4 years ago

Does the whole machine reset? or does it just start a new game on ball one? There are some things that definitely are suspect on these old games like the pins on all the connectors. If your game is resetting then it may be losing 5volts for a split second due to a crappy connection at the rectifier board. Obviously, all the pins are not good quality after 40 years, but the skinny orange wire on the long connector is the 5v line, I believe. Need to replace that for some reliability, as well as the pins leading to the boardset, then see if the problem continues.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-mrs-pacman-game-sounds-go-silent-when-voice-should-be-there- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.