Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG
mrMSwarmWhite.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo 4-713.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 4-870.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I am trowing all caution to the wind and am just going to put my progress here if anyone needs reference for shopping out this game, or finding parts or pics in the future...

Some initial pics of the condition of the game...

photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Mr & Ms Pac Man, I miss mine. Probably shouldn't have sold it years ago... The maze area looks good on that pf!!!!

#3 6 years ago

Looks like you're starting with a pretty nice machine. This is one of my favorite early Bally machines, not overly complicated but enough going on with the Pac-maze that it keeps it interesting. Good luck fixing it up!

#4 6 years ago

Yeah, I don't think it's the best Bally ever. But from my experience, it is a very under-appreciated title. Day 1 mylar sure helps condition though.

#5 6 years ago

Underside of PF.

Starting to pull wiring through into the head and found my first pet peeve with the LE style of Bally cabinets. Whoever designed the LE cabinets and wiring for these games was high out of their mind!

First order of business was to cut the zip ties in the 4th photo down and to release the wiring from the rightmost display (last two photos) so that you can actually install or remove the play-field without taking half the damn game apart...

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

#6 6 years ago

Now that's more like it. All plugs easy to reach with plenty of spare length on them.

photo 3.JPG
#7 6 years ago

Pulled the wires through the head.

Took some shots before pulling the old rubbers off...

I had to burn the U2 and U6 game ROMS because the MPU I got for the game was from an EBD.

Plugged everything in and... It booted. No sound yet though. Was a shock to me that every display works perfectly.

Experimented with LED's behind the scoring glass but they looked like crap. Installed new 555 incandescent bulbs there.

I do NOT like the look of the CCFL bulb, more to come on that subject...

photo 4-365.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4-551.JPG
photo 5.JPG

#8 6 years ago

First pic is of the maze light board.
Found a broken metal guide. Removed the broken part of the guide from the underside of the PF using a slightly smaller nail.
Replaced it with a spare used guide. (4th pic down)
The all important shooter lane pic after waxing.
Replaced lock in head.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4-690.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo.JPG
#9 6 years ago

The actual parts removed from playfield that need cleaned.
The playfield has now had one light cleaning/waxing. Starting to take shape.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

#10 6 years ago

Looking good! This is def an underrated machine. Glad to see someone is showing one some love!

#11 6 years ago

More done...
Black touchups complete, cleaned blue acorn posts (I use really hot water and a toothbrush to clean them), got the playfield waxed again, cleaned all plastics with my favorite knock off "scrubbing bubbles" product. Got the blue acorns screwed back down as well.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4-870.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG

#12 6 years ago

Nice! Taking shape! You're more patient than me, I would have just replaced those plastic posts. Many of the games I had from this era the posts had actually become brittle and really faded. Liking this thread.

#13 6 years ago

Great step by step thread! Just sold my M&MPM last year.
Advice on the pac matrix lamps: those bulb condoms are going to be baked from the years of use. They may not fit on new lamps because of heat expansion. They don't make colored bulbs in this size that I could find. I ended up coloring the bulbs with regular red and yellow sharpies. Worked out well, and no one that played it ever said a word--was at GameWarp here in Orlando for three days!

Good luck!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from mcjeremy42:

Great step by step thread! Just sold my M&MPM last year.
Advice on the pac matrix lamps: those bulb condoms are going to be baked from the years of use. They may not fit on new lamps because of heat expansion. They don't make colored bulbs in this size that I could find. I ended up coloring the bulbs with regular red and yellow sharpies. Worked out well, and no one that played it ever said a word--was at GameWarp here in Orlando for three days!
Good luck!

Thank you for the concern but the bulb condoms were in great shape. "Reusing those condoms worked out great for me!"

One thing I want to mention on the bulbs for the maze... They are 7381 lamps. If you hunt around the net, you can find them for about .20 cents each. The ones I ordered had little "extenders" on them which prevented them from going into the lamp board holes. Luckily, after removing the press-on metal extenders, they fit just fine.

#15 6 years ago

Now for an update on the pin... I am going to do a cap kit and on the squawk & talk board Friday. I now have all music and speech, but no sound effects. I'm showing a couple pics of the nearly finished playfield. Play is slow, but it's still on my pin dolly.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4-713.JPG

#16 6 years ago

Following this thread is making me want a Pac pin again! Excellent work snyper!!!

#17 6 years ago

A pic of the game finished for the most part. One additional thing I did to fix that display issue was reflow solder on it's connector pins. After replacing every single cap on the S&T board, I got all sounds up and working. I still want to find a better way to light the BG instead of using the ugly CCFL bulb.

photo2.JPG
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I still want to find a better way to light the BG instead of using the ugly CCFL bulb.

I have seen people use rope lights in place of the CCFL bulb. That factory bulb puts a lot of reflection onto the playfield. The rope light also distributes the light more evenly across the backglass.

#19 6 years ago

I have a solution on it's way and once I get it installed, I will post some pics of it working in the game.

1 week later
#20 6 years ago

And here you go on the backbox update. Looks soooo much better than the craptastic factory florescent bulb.

mrMSwarmWhite.JPG

#21 6 years ago

WOW! That looks so nice! What did you use for the light behind the backglass then?

#22 6 years ago

Looking good. That playfield looked better than most i've seen.

#23 6 years ago

I struggled for a couple of weeks with this game. Here are a couple of tips. For the S&T board rebuild the connectors on the board, both the connectors on the board and the Molex connector in-line on the harness. Also, the ground plane sucks on this era of game. Bally used foil covered cardboard in the back box. Tie the board mounting brackets together and to door and the ground braid using wire and crimp connectors. These 2 things will fix numerous vexing problems.

#24 6 years ago

great work.
want to help fix mine

4 weeks later
#25 6 years ago

snyper2099 – was just thinking of trying to mod the back box somehow to put LEDs in instead of the CCFL bulb and nosing around Pinside to see if others had thought of it too/figured it out. How did you update the back box light? Thanks!

#26 6 years ago

I used "warm white" 12V led strips. I placed the 2 strips about 6 inches apart. They are self adhesive and I just stuck them directly to the metal door in the head. You can buy a 5 meter strip of them, cut them to the length you need, and then wire them up to the +12 volts/GND at the larger axial capacitor on the sound board. Make sure the metal door is not making contact with the solder points on the led strips.

#27 6 years ago

Perfect - thanks

6 months later
#28 5 years ago

I'd like to put LEDs in place on the pac maze matrix on my mrms pacman ... Any ideas?

#29 5 years ago

Those 7381 lamps take 6.3 volts... I guess you could wire up regular 555 leds but you would have to build a custom holder/adapter for them to mount them under the playfield. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

#30 5 years ago

Hmmm - I'm wondering if you could install this - http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1 - and then put bare LEDs in the Pac matrix board. You'd have to LED the whole machine but if you're doing the matrix why not the rest.

Early AM musing - seems too easy might be missing something need coffee and schematics.

viperrwk

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Those 7381 lamps take 6.3 volts... I guess you could wire up regular 555 leds but you would have to build a custom holder/adapter for them to mount them under the playfield. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

I could probably solder the 555 leads directly to the board, I'm down for some tedious soldering, if my family decides to keep it

1 week later
#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I could probably solder the 555 leads directly to the board, I'm down for some tedious soldering, if my family decides to keep it

Sold off the machine before I could do the mod... but I used the yellow baby pac man drop target stickers for the yellow drop targets, they look great! Hopefully I'll get a chance to go get some pictures later. sold it to a family friend that really wanted it.

#33 5 years ago

I am still working on mine... I would love to bring it to expo but don't have enough room.

IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG

#34 5 years ago

beautiful machine

#35 5 years ago

Under-rated game. It is quirky, and that is what makes it fun.

#36 5 years ago

Cool thread. Do you plan on repainting the cabinet and head eventually? Would really pop...

Quoted from snyper2099:

Whoever designed the LE cabinets and wiring for these games was high out of their mind!

That was Dennis Nordman I believe.

#37 5 years ago

Yes, on the cabinet but one step at a time. I am going to pick the new legs while in Chi soon.

1 week later
#38 5 years ago

I see the exact bulbs mentioned for the Pac Maze but not the covers that make some red. I recall seeing mentioned elsewhere that the covers were hard to find. How did any of you handle that? Can you just paint them red with model paint or something similar?

#39 5 years ago

A red sharpie works great

#40 5 years ago

Superbright sells the caps - $.50 each (bottom of the page):

http://www.superbrightbulbs.com/194.htm

viperrwk

#41 5 years ago

let me know when you're ready to sell it.
i'm here

#42 5 years ago

AwesomI I may order the caps soon. Would a red Sharpie give the the right look? I'm up for trying it

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from wkupike2000:

AwesomI I may order the caps soon. Would a red Sharpie give the the right look? I'm up for trying it

Maybe not quite dark enough, I gave the ones I did several coats. It worked pretty well.
Also used it on the green dash bulbs on my old Toyota pickup. I had a couple burnt out & rather than spending the ridiculous amount that the dealer wanted I used a green sharpie on clear bulbs & you can't tell the difference.
- You know, maybe dip clear bulbs in some red RIT dye.... that might work too..

#44 5 years ago

Good to know. My father in law has some extra bulbs I can use until the ones I ordered come in(didn't know he had them when I ordered). So I may play around with the dye, sharpie, and he even mentioned red model paint until my caps come in. In looking at snyper2099's maze board pic above, I see yellow caps on there as well. None of my existing lights have yellow caps.

Were the yellow caps how it originally came or is that a modification? And is it necessary/good to have them? I also see various cap sizes. Most bulbs say 5.8mm so would you recommend the 6mm or do you need the 5mm caps and they stretch?

#45 5 years ago

It's not a modification. That's how the board was when I got it. Both yellow and red caps are original and have the same design with a small lip on them. A couple of the bulb caps I had were slightly cracked but light does not shine through them.

The yellow color is very slight when it shines through the playfield and I could see someone just using the warm glow of the bulb instead of worrying about the yellow caps. I can certainly say it's not "pac-man yellow" with the original yellow bulb caps I have on there.

2 weeks later
#46 5 years ago

Hey guys, I need to replace the battery on the one I sold, what are you guys doing?
Im thinking of doing the cordless phone battery... before I go to radio shack, is there a specific one to get?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, on the cabinet but one step at a time. I am going to pick the new legs while in Chi soon.

Updates?

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#48 5 years ago

I have the legs installed. I am considering painting the inside of the cabinet black. It just doesn't look correct, being blue. Pics to follow...

#49 5 years ago

Hey I just got this game and I'm fixing it up a bit. I was wondering if you went with LEDs which I'm pretty sure you did. But what kind did you use. I got some of the single 555 Leds today. They are all different colors to accent the playfield but I have a strobing effect with the bulbs. This is the first time I'm putting LEDs in a machine and I'm wondering if I should go with a better bulb or if it's going to just happen with the game no matter what I do. What did you do and did you have that problem? Thanks for the info and the cool thread!

#50 5 years ago

led and Bally don't work, unless you add resistors to each socket and or order special resistor board to fix issue. many threads discuss issue.

snyper i am doing a mmpm right now as well. I love the yellow trim work looks real nice.

You did not do a full cabinet repaint did you? but looks like you fixed up blue front of head and such real nice. Do you have any paint codes to share?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Geeteoh Electronics
$ 149.00
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 17.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside