(Topic ID: 241772)

Mr and Mrs Pacman not registering right flipper on pac maze

By JaxGator

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

right_flipper2 (resized).jpg
    right_flipper1 (resized).jpg
    front_lamp (resized).jpg
    left_flipper (resized).jpg
    back_lamp (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Howdy all

I just acquired a mr and mrs pacman machine, and all tests fine except for the right flipper does not move pacman during pac maze play. The flipper (and the upper flipper) work fine in pinball mode, and I've checked and reseated the connectors under the board itself. Tracing out all the other connectors, everything appears to be connected to each of the boards. Left works fine to change direction.

Appreciate any steps from here. thank you!

#2 4 years ago

Check flipper button switches. I own a mmpm if you want pm me and ill see if I can help you out.

#3 4 years ago

Looks like the switch test shows the right flipper isnt registering. Now to try and trace the wiring to the switch for that flipper.

#4 4 years ago

switch connector to the lamp driver board looks good after checking. Still reviewing other schematics

#5 4 years ago

Not sure how Bally wired this game but. In most cases you'll have a double stacked leaf switch on the flipper button or at the eos switch on the flipper assembly. One switch closure operates the flipper, the other, probably separated by a plastic pusher would signal the maze moves. Guessing a dirty contact or bad contact on that switch.
    Theres probably also a switch that triggers the upper flipper as well.

#6 4 years ago

Good point - I will take a closer look at the switch itself and clean the contact

#7 4 years ago

The guy that did the wiring harness didn't know he could get the flipper wiring from the cabinet cable connector on the MPU so he broke out switch wiring from the playfield harness. Look for a break out connector from the playfield harness to the cabinet harness. Sounds like that is not connected properly or has a loose wire.

#8 4 years ago

Here's some pictures of the item in question
    https://imgur.com/a/ek0TaHs

I cleaned the contact on the cabinet switch, and checked the lamp driver board. It doesn't look damaged, but is possible the relay is bad? would I be able to swap something like an alltek board in to eliminate that without soldering a new relay in?

here's a video of the overall issue
    https://vimeo.com/333199695

back_lamp (resized).jpgback_lamp (resized).jpgfront_lamp (resized).jpgfront_lamp (resized).jpgleft_flipper (resized).jpgleft_flipper (resized).jpgright_flipper1 (resized).jpgright_flipper1 (resized).jpgright_flipper2 (resized).jpgright_flipper2 (resized).jpg
    #9 4 years ago

The relay on the solenoid driver board just enables/disables the flippers. It doesn't have anything to do with controlling the maze.

The wiring for the maze switch on the flipper switch stack goes to the MPU board (J3), not the lamp driver board. MPU board is the upper left board in the head.

When you push the flipper button, are both of those leaf switches closing? The leaf switch closer to the button activates the flipper, the second switch further from the button controls the maze. There's a diode on the bottom of that switch. Does it test ok or is it open circuit?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The relay on the solenoid driver board just enables/disables the flippers. It doesn't have anything to do with controlling the maze.
    The wiring for the maze switch on the flipper switch stack goes to the MPU board (J3), not the lamp driver board. MPU board is the upper left board in the head.
    When you push the flipper button, are both of those leaf switches closing? The leaf switch closer to the button activates the flipper, the second switch further from the button controls the maze. There's a diode on the bottom of that switch. Does it test ok or is it open circuit?

Yes, the diode is intact although I haven't put a meter on it yet. The cabinet switch itself closes good and I've cleaned it pretty well, but now that you mention the MPU is controlling the maze switch - is that J3 spot also what triggers for the switch in test mode?

#11 4 years ago

Well, the diode read .556 on the meter, and was blocked when I reversed the lead positions.. so I *think* its okay.

#12 4 years ago

Ok, then check for continuity by tracing where those switch wires travel up through the harness, where it plugs in to the MPU (J2). The MPU is the board in the upper left of the head.

You likely have a broken pin inside that wiring hardness. It's more likely to be a disconnect on the solid brown(?) wire in your picture, since the Yellow/Red wire is connected to other things that are working properly.

#13 4 years ago

Umm my mistake, Bally seems to have done something different for them and wired the cabinet flipper maze switches to J2 at the MPU board - J2 is designated as the playfield switch wiring harness and J3 is the cabinet switch wiring harness.

I don't have this game but I'm guessing that near the J2 connector at the MPU board there is probably a 3 wire connector piggy backing near J2 with a yellow-red wire, brown wire and white-green wire.

The yellow-red wire comes from MPU J2 pin 5 and goes to both cabinet flipper maze switches.
    The brown wire comes from MPU J2 pin 13 and goes to the right cabinet flipper maze switch.
    The white-green wire comes from MPU J2 pin 8 and goes to the left cabinet flipper maze switch.

#14 4 years ago

Right on Quench! This should be playing perfectly soon!

#15 4 years ago

Awesome guys, thanks for the help on this. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance to trace the wires and look at the pins in the J2 MPU connector. Luckily I have done repinning before (Thanks Baby Pacman!) so if thats all it ends up being I'll be a super happy camper.

#16 4 years ago

Woohoo! All better now with a jumper wire from the cabinet switch up to MPU J2 13. I didn't see any visible damage to the original cable itself, but I will leave the temporary fix in place until I can properly bundle it together with rest of the cable braid. Thank you guys for the help!!!

2 months later
    #17 4 years ago

This thread helped me fix my pin last night.

Thank you. Issue with wire harness coming from flippers to that 3 pin connector under the playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-and-mrs-pacman-not-registering-right-flipper-on-pac-maze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.