• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RebootMac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello everyone,
Kinda going nuts here. Don't really know what to check next. Have a Mr. And Mrs. Pacman 5hat will start fine, run all flashes, sound works and all the under playfield lights work. However, no solenoid except the knocker will work. Checked the under playfield fuses, and have a vector working I've been crossing boards with to eliminate boards as the issue. Checked the bulbs for the playfield expander boards. They light on first button press, but the bulbs don't light on solenoid test, nor does the expander board under the playfield click like vectors... wondering where to look next. Any guidance would be helpful.

#2 5 years ago

The Pinwiki has a wealth of information. A good starting point is http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_problems but there are several sections regarding the solenoids that may help you diagnose your issue.

#3 5 years ago

The knocker (and chimes for the early SS games) were not fused downstream of the rectifier like the playfield is, so they work independently of the playfield coils.

First thing to verify is whether or not the flippers work. If not, need to check the playfield connector and wiring harness from rectifier to playfield. It's pretty safe to say you have 43V on the rectifier since the game fully boots and the knocker works. Power from the rectifier goes to the playfield fuse holder and splits off from there to the flippers. They are not fused like the rest of the coils.

So if the flippers work, measure voltage on both ends of the playfield fuse holder at the solder terminals, not the ends of the fuse itself. The fuse clips tend to lose their spring and tarnish so you need to verify power is passing through both the fuse and the fuse holder.

If that is good, then you need to inspect each coil for a broken wire. The power is daisy chained from coil to coil. When this type of failure happens, there is usually at least one playfield coil that works in test mode. If any are working, check the terminals on those coils to see if any power wires have broken off.

#4 5 years ago

So a bit of an update. And I'm going through the pinwiki now. However I do not have 43v at the flippers or at the fuse holders. I have a new alltek solenoid driver in. And its showing no issues. 43v kicking at its test points. However I've pulled p1 and checked voltages at the two bottom pins,(Labeled lt-flipper and rt-flipper) and get no voltage when a game is started or when put in solenoid test. I'm looking through the manual. Does the 43v pass through the s&t board? It says on the troubleshooting flowchart to change this board.

#5 5 years ago

The 43v does not go to the S&T board.

#6 5 years ago

Check J1 on the rectifier board and the wiring from J1 to the playfield. You have 43V at the rectifier, but not at the playfield so there is a broken connection in the connector or wiring.

#7 5 years ago

So I've checked J1. Using both solenoid boards, and got zero's... though the test point is revealing 43v clean. Is it possible I have 2 bad solenoid boards? I cross tested them in vector and both work.. I gotta be missing something. Is there a rectifier board between these? One of the boards in question is a new altek that is showing good on its cycle tests, and the knocker is working. The J1 connector is showing connectivity through to the flippers.

#8 5 years ago

Solenoid driver has nothing to do with lack of power to the playfield. Check J1 on the rectifier board in the bottom of the cabinet next to the transformer, and check the wiring to the playfield.

#9 5 years ago

Success! Thanks guys, once I disconnected the large trunk of wires and got to inspecting from J1 up I discovered a break around the upper playfield flipper. Was getting 23volts at the main pair of flippers discovered the partial break and patched it. Bam! Solid 43 all around now. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-and-mrs-pacman-no-solenoid-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.